Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 106
| visibility 101

New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed?

Oct 1, 2014, 7:01 AM

Can Clemson's run game be fixed?

The questions concerning Clemson’s rushing attack are plentiful, and the answers are few. Do the coaches think they have the players on hand to find the answer? Can Deshaun Watson and the read-option help? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure Sam Cooper would help but

Oct 1, 2014, 7:44 AM

I don't see one tight end opening up holes in the middle. It's just like Morris said, O-line HAS to knock people off the snap. We haven't done much of that in over 20 years.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I'm sure Sam Cooper would help but

Oct 1, 2014, 1:19 PM

I didn't get much out of Coach Morris' comments. Where did they get the idea that we deep in quality RB's?
Zac Brooks was a WR trying to play RB, And DJ Howard, a safety attempting to play running back. Our OL just doesn't fire off the ball and just don't seem to play with any edge or aggressiveness. None of the RB's have really stepped to the front, but this is hard to gauge when they have no blocking. I don't see any solution based on Morris' vague generalities. It's troubling that the coaching staff seems to have totally over-looked a major problem with this team

Oct 1, 2014, 5:27 PM

Yeah because most 6'0 205lb athletes are WR's. Do you list to yourself?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM

Incoherent.

Why is our offensive line hardly ever able to "knock guys

Oct 1, 2014, 7:51 AM

off the ball"?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many offensive linemen are we missing due to injuries?

Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 AM

Include Sam Cooper with the other three, you can leave out the transfer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is our offensive line hardly ever able to "knock guys

Oct 1, 2014, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Why is our offensive line hardly ever able to "knock guys ]

I wonder the same thing. Even the announcers noticed it Saturday. It's almost like they snap the ball and hesitate for a split second instead jumping at the snap.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

That is pass blocking

Oct 2, 2014, 5:21 PM

Pass blocking is always a more defensive scheme. OLineman jump up at the snap and then fall back to where they can form more of a "wall". They "hesitate" so that way they can drop back and position themselves to block rushing defenders by bracing their legs better. It works for pass defense because you force the defenders to come to you and engage the Oline, which in theory keeps them occupied enough for the QB to get the ball off.

With run blocking, you use the OLine like a bulldozer to force a specific running gap through the defenders. The Oline "jump" at the snap and push in one, coordinated direction. It allows time to hand the ball off and open up a hole for the RB to tear through.

Unfortunately though, our team has a big pass-block mentality, something our teams havent been able to shake in a while. I think they may be trying to make the Oline more balanced, but its not working. Its something that plagues HUNH teams like ours, thinking that passing downfield is a faster strategy than running, which is a fallacy. The best HUNH teams are always behind a rock solid Oline that can push hard down field and have a fast RB.

Then again, our coaches could be trying to maximize our strengths, but either way we NEED a better ground game.

I don't get why UNC sold out on the run with Watson throwing

Oct 1, 2014, 8:09 AM

I guess depriving their student athletes of an education is catching up to them. They weren't smart enough to figure that out.

What would you expect from a Vic Koening coached defense***

May 16, 2022, 3:47 PM

you got that right... bad memories

Oct 1, 2014, 8:27 AM

announcers kept mentioning the soft spots in the zone coverage scheme. Used to drive me crazy. Hated his style of defense. Maybe worse than rob spences offense.

When they studied the film on DW they determined that...

Oct 2, 2014, 5:54 AM [ in reply to I don't get why UNC sold out on the run with Watson throwing ]

he would do more damage with his feet than with his arm. They just didn't factor in the ability of our OC and WRs to take advantage of their lame ### scheme.

I expect NCS will present a more balanced defense which will result in the whining about our lack of a running game ending abruptly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not until we get a bigtime commit at that position…

Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 AM

Its funny our WR position got fixed with Nuk and Sammy and has continued, our QB position got fixed with Tajh and now Deshaun…. Its been a minute since james davis and Cj spiller…. It will get fixed once we pick up that RB commit. Funny how that works out. Its about playmakers this day and age. Because most teams are pretty close when it comes to amenities and philosophies. We never would have made a BCS game without Sammy and Tajh. Nor would SCAR have ever sniffed 11 wins without Lattimore or Clowney. Not saying one man makes the team but one superstar and a team of formidable teammates makes a world of difference. But a team of formidable teammates and no superstar to take you over the top gets you to a point where you never go over the top and achieve more.

Maybe this Feaster kid out of Duncan could be what we have to have to get a steady running game back. Tyshon Dye could be it if he can get healthy but back injuries are tough to overcome in football. Choice is still young could be the ticket. But the other guys are just good athletes that will help but not take us over the edge.

Feaster is from Spartanburg High

Oct 1, 2014, 8:28 AM

not Duncan

Feaster is from Spartanburg and plays for Spartanburg High

Oct 1, 2014, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Not until we get a bigtime commit at that position… ]

not Byrnes....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Not until we get a bigtime commit at that position…

Oct 1, 2014, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Not until we get a bigtime commit at that position… ]

And it doesn't help when we have two tackles who are both 30 to 35 pounds below their effective playing weight. What were they doing during the Off-season? How is this allowed. Can't coaches see that a player lacks the needed size and power? I think Dabo need to get that OL group together and read then the riot act, not make excuses for them and praise poor performance.

Thats mostly a conditioning issue I would think

Oct 2, 2014, 7:03 PM

Big huge Olineman aren't conducive to running a HUNH offense very well.

How has aTm's OL been so good for the last few years?

Oct 1, 2014, 8:27 AM

An OL like they have is what we need (and most every team would like to have). I know that moving to the SEC has helped them tremendously with recruiting, but it couldn't have been a factor in Manziel's (sp?) first year of playing. He had all day to throw the ball, and they opened holes in their running game. Did they just put more emphasis on OL recruits than we have? Better talent? Better coaching? Different schemes? I have no idea. I guess it just grinds my gears b/c I have to watch aTm play every week along with our Tigers. There is a huge difference in OL play, and I don't think it's even close.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

It's really simple. Texas produces about 370 div. I college

Oct 1, 2014, 9:38 AM

football players every year from a pool of 38,000 high school players. SC? 30 from a pool of 18,000 high school players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't realize we were restricted to recruiting SC only.***

Oct 1, 2014, 12:38 PM

Yeah because it's sooo easy to go recruit guys from

Oct 1, 2014, 3:04 PM

Texas and California to Clemson. Do you think it's a coincidence that almost all of the top football programs are located in recruiting hotbeds? The Big Ten (and ND) are in serious decline because it's extremely difficult to recruit nationally these days. I think that's really hurt Tennessee as well.

Re: Yeah because it's sooo easy to go recruit guys from

Oct 1, 2014, 8:50 PM

If we are going to be a national brand, then we have to recruit from every region of the country. No, it's not easy, but you keep plugging. Eventually they will come,
especially if we win.

Wow! Seems that every school in TX...

Oct 1, 2014, 6:21 PM [ in reply to It's really simple. Texas produces about 370 div. I college ]

...should be world beaters, then. Yet they're not. And their D has been a dumpster fire. Hmmmm.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: Wow! Seems that every school in TX...

Oct 1, 2014, 8:53 PM

You make a good point. However, I think Clemson is a name that should enable us to recruit anywhere. We have a Heisman candidate at QB.

Re: Wow! Seems that every school in TX...

Oct 2, 2014, 5:42 AM

Are you fawking serious?

Seeing as how Watson is in the top 5 of QB stats

Oct 2, 2014, 7:05 PM

after barely playing the 1st 3 games and only fully started 1 game, yes, its pretty obvious he will compete for the Heisman.

Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed?

Oct 1, 2014, 8:36 AM

NONE of our RB's have run like Kurt Fleming. Yeah - he fumbled once, but so did umpteen-star Jamie Harper. BFD. Let the ONLY RB that we have carry the rock again, and stop whining about our run game. We have one - the coaches just can't find it.

Oct 1, 2014, 1:43 PM

I agree with you on Flemming, but any RB needs blocking.

Didn't he actually fumble on 2 straight carries but we

Oct 1, 2014, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

recovered the first one?

Kurt Flemming

Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

He is a stud, but fumbles and false starts will keep you off the field. His time will come when he gets his football head strapped back on.

Re: Kurt Flemming

Oct 1, 2014, 8:57 PM

He$$, play him. He's made a few mistakes, but with that potential, how do you justify keeping him off the field?
But, no RB is going to make up for a soft, ineffective OL.

Oct 1, 2014, 8:43 AM

Personally I think it has been mainly b/c we have had two new QBs playing in just 4 games. And DCs have been game planing around roughing up our QBs to try and stop our passing attack by bringing a lot of pressure.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with that. With Cole starting and then this past

Oct 1, 2014, 8:46 AM

week with Deshaun in his first start I don't blame DC's for trying to make us beat them with the passing game. We had "unproven" commodities at QB and WR.

I expect to see that change after Deshauns coming out party. This should open up the run game more.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Oct 1, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

So our OL is okay???

Pleeezzz don't hang Deshaun out lika a pinata...

Oct 1, 2014, 9:15 AM

Everybody wants a piece of him

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2014, 9:21 AM

I'd like to see them use #40, Kurt Fleming more, especially in short yardage situations.

Not a New Story,,Same Ole Song

Oct 1, 2014, 9:24 AM

"we're going to fix it" Really When!

RB's do not trust the OL to block
why they tip-e-toe to the line
one the reason's we did not get the dawgs RB-- TG
no RB will run hard full speed into a solid wall over & over

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quick summary

Oct 1, 2014, 9:26 AM

No.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Quick summary

Oct 1, 2014, 9:49 AM

Right. you can't take buzzard eggs and raise chickens.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:45 AM

I cannot remember a year when our OL wasn't a concern (or hot garbage). It's tiresome.

Maybe it's time for Robbie Caldwell to retire?

Oct 1, 2014, 9:47 AM

gosh, with the oline being so bad how did we ever average 40 and 500 a game the last 3 years.

Hard to blame TE's when 90% are between the guards

Oct 1, 2014, 12:58 PM

Pretty easy to anticipate and prepare for too.

Oct 1, 2014, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

Our great skill players did that despite the OL.

We did it through the air. Run-blocking & rushing weak.

Oct 1, 2014, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

Total & YPC rushing ranks:
2014: 91/113
2013: 56/73
2012: 39/70
2011: 59/55
2010: 79/78
2009: 40/19
2008: 100/99 (Spiller & Davis)

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort01.html

In this article the topic is the RUN game.

Your stats from perviosu years have already been soundly

Oct 4, 2014, 12:33 AM

dismissed when the facts come forward. 3 years under Morris, 3 straight years of 1k yard rushers and the 26th, 9th, and 9th best offenses in the country along with two top 10 finishes and some of the best wins in Clemson history. We were ranked CONSIDERABLY higher than most every team on your hilarious statistical BS list. That's what matters most. No, we're not Navy or GT, but we have run the ball efficiently which led tot he above. This year, as stated several times, we are struggling to find cohesion on the OL and a feature back. Please discuss something else - something that you may have a clue about. Football clearly ain't it.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:49 AM

We have a big bruiser running back. Kurt Fleming #40. Morris needs to let him run in short yardage. I know he had a fumble but the qb has an interception and he plays. The point is-> run the guy that is a 235lb down hill runner in short yardage situations. Also once in a while let him have the ball on first and second downs. The line is weak but Fleming runs hard and don't dance. His average is what 7 yards per carry. If Morris ever wakes up and uses the big guy the defensive coaches will not sleep the week they play us.

Oct 1, 2014, 10:04 AM

uh they put him in and he jumps right off the bat. got to gain tour coaches trust.

Oct 1, 2014, 10:09 AM

Just play Gallman and choice. They are the most talented. This coaching staff is playing scared this year. These guys may make mistakes but they will get better. DJ is terrible and will always be, davis is ok.

Oct 1, 2014, 10:03 AM

Clemson is not dedicated to running the football, nor are they dedicated to playing good hard nosed defense. They like to throw the football .

Oct 1, 2014, 10:04 AM

good lord, smelling feathers here.

Running scared already? Just think what the coots will see

Oct 1, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

in November. Stay tuned.

Yes it can and here's how

Oct 1, 2014, 10:30 AM

Hang on I gotta take this call...

Kurt Fleming!

Oct 1, 2014, 12:32 PM

!!!!!

kurt fleming! i second that!!***

Oct 1, 2014, 4:02 PM

BS! UNC rarely loaded the box. OL too weak to open a sliver

Oct 1, 2014, 1:09 PM

Clemson's OL is a perennial weakness and they've rarely been any good at opening up holes during the Bowden/Dabo era, but this year's OL is probably the worst I've ever seen. Re-watch the UNC game and watch the blocking on running plays. Typically UNC has 4 on the line (not a bear front) and there's usually only 6 in the box-- sometimes 7. Then look at the 1-on-1 blocks. Our OLs don't move anybody off the line or create a crease-- and that's if they don't blow their assignments. Half the time they're getting pushed back into the backfield.

Maybe we just need faster RBs so that they can avoid getting hit by the OLmen as they get blown backwards. :)

It's not just my fan bias. Even the ESPN announcers said that the OL doesn't push anybody off the ball and is merely "serviceable". It's so obvious.

I can't say for certain that the S&C program stinks because the DLs seem pretty solid, but it sure seems to stink for OL development for the last decade or so. We may not have 5-star guys on the OL but there's way too much talent there to be this bad year after year after year. And other teams with similar OL talent do a much better job of getting push.

Dabo needs to be bringing in more OLs every year so that we're not always in dire straits when injuries, transfers, missed-evaluations, and suspensions inevitably happen. He's been here for like 13 years and he's been the head guy for 6. Learn from your mistakes.

DJ Howard is serviceable at best. He shouldn't be a starting RB in a Top 25 football school. I don't think any RB could do well with our OL, let alone DJ. He runs upright, has poor vision, and doesn't have break-away speed.

Re: BS! UNC rarely loaded the box. OL too weak to open a sliver

Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM

Good post. Right on.

4th down and 1 issues for the ####.

Oct 1, 2014, 6:17 PM

Coots couldn't get it when needed against Missouri. You gotta hate that huh? LOL great call by Sack, but then again he has a tons of those head-scratchers over the years. Cost you the UT game last year too. Does that not pi$$ you off? Why are you here dogging our coaches when you should be on a #### site dogging yours?

Re: 4th down and 1 issues for the ####.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 PM

I'm concerned about our team, not Carolina. I love it that they lost, but we have to concentrate on what we control: Our performance, development, etc.

Why would you be worried about UNC?

Oct 2, 2014, 4:48 PM

You should be more concerned with the ##### and losing several more ballgames this year.

Not BS. UNC did focus almost completel on stopping the run.

Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM [ in reply to BS! UNC rarely loaded the box. OL too weak to open a sliver ]

Fedora said the same thing postgame.

Too, during the Morris years we've averaged over 4, almost 4.5 yards per carry, even after including numerous sacks due to the immobility of our QB.

The running game has been effective enough to take us the 26th best offense in 2011 (after being 88th in 2010), to the 9th best offense in 2012, and again the 9th best offense in the country in 2013. Woe is us. While we've lacked the premier back and a legitimate running QB, that's pretty darn good. You don't do that without a decent-to-good OL.

More importantly, like someone else said, we are still trying to find ourselves on the OL in 2014 as well as develop/find our best running back.

Obviously you're not giving them enough credit, but that seems to be a typical attitude of yours. You just seem to throw anything out there in the hopes it will stick, unfortunately nothing ever does.

We're 91st in rushing, 113th in YPC! 2013: 56th & 73rd! Yay!

Oct 1, 2014, 8:07 PM

Total & YPC rushing ranks:
2014: 91/113
2013: 56/73
2012: 39/70
2011: 59/55
2010: 79/78
2009: 40/19
2008: 100/99 (Spiller & Davis)

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category01/sort01.html

The stats speak for themselves and prove you wrong.

Re: We're 91st in rushing, 113th in YPC! 2013: 56th & 73rd! Yay!

Oct 1, 2014, 9:05 PM

I agree. Thanks for the stats. Our running game is non-existent.

We're not talking about this year, hence the title says "can

Oct 2, 2014, 4:49 PM

the run game be fixed".

Are you dense? Just askin'.

I mentioned this year and how we're obviously still

Oct 2, 2014, 4:44 PM [ in reply to We're 91st in rushing, 113th in YPC! 2013: 56th & 73rd! Yay! ]

.. still trying to find ourselves on on the OL and we're in search go-to back. You know, like a thousand yard rusher, you like we've had every year under Morris. Our OL allowed Rod Freakin McDowell to get over 1,000 yards for crying out loud.

And plus, your attempt at an alleged analysis fails because you skipped over several relevant points I made.

1) We were 97th in sack yards allowed in 2013. While Tahj was great at short yardage, he was absolutely pitiful in buying time or scrambling from the pocket. That was the case in each of the Morris years. We were 94th in 2012, and 106th in 2011. You can't hold Boyd's immobility against the OL. I mentioned this previously; funny how you neglected to include that in your post. Typical.

2) We have been the 9th best offense in the world the last two years and finished in the top 10 twice with two outstanding bowl wins rivaling any wins in Clemson history, save the national. You don't do that with the type of OL you're trying to suggest we have. I mentioned this previously too. Why do you have a knack for skippin over the relevant stuff?

You were wrong. Dead wrong. Its far from the first time and surely won't be the last. Good job.

Tajh wasn't that bad at scrambling from the pocket when

Oct 2, 2014, 5:01 PM

things broke down...the only time he ever seemed to run right into pressure was against USuCk...

You apparently don't understand we're talking about rushing.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:37 AM [ in reply to I mentioned this year and how we're obviously still ]

You keep touting TOTAL offense but the topic we're discussing here is RUSHING and run-blocking (not passing and therefore not pass-blocking and TOTAL offense). Stick to the topic and explain our crappy RUSHING rank and crappy YPC rank.

You make excuses about Boyd getting sacked as though no other teams allow sacks and as though any sack disparity has some statistically significant influence on our pathetic rushing rank and yard-per-carry rank. But you offer no stats to support that ridiculous assertion.

No, obviously you don't get it. No one is claiming we've

Oct 4, 2014, 12:53 AM

been one of the best total rushing teams in America, but when you have an effective attack with 3 straight years of 1000 yard rushers, and you're a top 10 offense finishing as a top 10 team as a program, then you're doing it right.

Are you as dense as you seem to be?

You're cherry-picking. Explain our crappy YPC stats.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:07 AM

You cherry-pick having 1000-yard rusher, and that's nice, but it doesn't mean that much if you play 13 games and most of the carries go to one RB. If you rush 1000 times for 1000 yards, it doesn't mean you're good at running the ball. If we're so good at run-blocking and rushing, then please explain our mediocre YPC.

And please see if you can do so like a civil adult without juvenile name-calling.

LOL!

Oct 4, 2014, 1:10 AM

Top 10 offenses and top 10 finishes because of that offense..and I'm cherry picking? What are you not getting about the fact NOBODY is arguing about YPC or overall rushing stats. What is clear however is that three straight years of 1000 yard rushers and the aforementioned facts trump any dumb stuff you think you're proving.

Read the article. Read my post. We're talking RUSHING.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 AM

If you have a low number of yards per carry, you're probably not great at rushing. If that's not true, then please explain why.

Yeah, and like I pointed out...

Oct 4, 2014, 1:33 AM

We've had several guys average over 5 YPC and over 1,000 yards for the season during top 10 offensive and top 10 programs finishes. You said our OL can't run block and hasn't been able to. Clearly you were dead wrong. Water is wet.

By the way gomer...

Oct 4, 2014, 1:16 AM [ in reply to You're cherry-picking. Explain our crappy YPC stats. ]

Did you forget the fact we lost a ton of yards in sacks due to having an immobile QB getting sacked? Yes, seems you forgot that. "Cherry picking" he says. Hilarious.

And no other team in the country takes sacks?

Oct 4, 2014, 1:22 AM

Do you have any data showing how we took so many more sacks than other teams that it hurt our YPC?

Sure they do. But like has been pointed out to you ignorant

Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 AM

### already, Tajh showed an inability to escape from the pocket and took more sacks than our OL should have been held accountable for.

Please try a little harder: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15909983

Like I said, have you ever been right about anything? Anything at all?

Juvenile name-calling, lies, & now profanity? Classy. Bye.***

Oct 4, 2014, 1:34 AM

Ignorant ### = FACT.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:35 AM

That's it..take your ball and go home. But before you do.. YOU'RE DEAD WRONG. What else is new?

YPC stats.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:24 AM [ in reply to You're cherry-picking. Explain our crappy YPC stats. ]

2013:

Rod McDowell 5.42 YPC
Zac Brooks 5.13 YPC

2012:

Andre Ellington 5.10 YPC
Roderick McDowell 5.42 YPC

2011:

Andre Ellington 5.28 YPC
Mike Bellamy 4.75 YPC
D.J. Howard 5.61 YPC

Horrible OL indeed. LOL. Please stop with the nonsense.

What % of run plays was UNC in bear or had 8 in the box?***

Oct 1, 2014, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Not BS. UNC did focus almost completel on stopping the run. ]

I will be sure to count that up for you gomer...

Oct 2, 2014, 4:47 PM

but in the meantime does the fact the UNC coaches statement that they focused towards stopping the run and challenging the freshman QB mean anything to you? Anything at all?

Bottom line is, again, UNC focused on stopping the run by choice. Like I said.

These are just the facts.

I counted up the 1st half. UNC went bear front ONE time.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:24 AM

Mostly they put 6 in the box. I got tired of being right so I didn't bother counting up the 2nd half. Feel free to do that so that you can speak from a position of knowledge instead of extrapolating nonsense from an ambiguous statement from the opposing coach (who never said that they ran mostly bear fronts or loaded the box).

Please stop acting like you know anything about football.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:28 AM

Because you don't. Your hilarious history here proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I remember when you suggested Dabo couldn't coach and should be fired. You're not capable of valid sports discussion. When the head coach of the opponent says they focused on the run, and you meekly try to say he's wrong, does anymore need to be said. No.

Please get a clue.

I'll take that to mean you have no supporting data.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:49 AM

It's sad that you can't just stick to a fact-based point-counterpoint data-backed discussion like a civil adult instead of launching juvenile personal attacks and changing the subject.

By the way, I NEVER said that Dabo should be fired. Why would you concoct such a lie?

How old are you?

What's "sad" is you can't see the forest through the trees.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:57 AM

Three straight years of 1,000 yard rushers, two straight years of top 10 offenses and top 10 program rankings, then you are doing better than most every college in the country no matter how ridiculously stupid you try to slice it. That is the supporting data.

And yes, you're a liar. You continually ridiculed one of the top 10 coaches in America and suggested he should be fired. You were wrong, obviously, but then again have you ever been right?

Football discussion is not a good hobby for you. Do you have nay other interests that you might be more knowledgeable about?

What's sad is that you just make up lies.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:20 AM

I NEVER said Dabo should be fired. If you're right, I'm sure you can do a quick Google search or Tigernet search on "Tigernet Razzmatazz Dabo fire" or something and show me where I said that. I guarantee you can't find even one example because I NEVER said such a thing. You simply concocted that lie. It's really pathetic.

LOL. You're a funny little liar.

Oct 4, 2014, 1:31 AM

I remember your ridiculous diatribes following 2010 on how Dabo couldn't coach all-world talent (LOL) and how he should be fired. That, and basically everything you've ever posted here have been hilariously wrong. Completely wrong. Pleas find another hobby - this one is embarrassing for Clemson fans everywhere.

So you couldn't find a post where I said that? Ha! Bye!***

Oct 4, 2014, 1:35 AM

2010?? Really?

Oct 4, 2014, 1:36 AM

Find another way to cover your lies.

Re: Not BS. UNC did focus almost completel on stopping the run.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Not BS. UNC did focus almost completel on stopping the run. ]

You have your opinion, which I respect. I still think our OL sucks.

The Oculus could fix the run game.***

Oct 1, 2014, 1:16 PM

How do you identify a Clemson lineman after the game?

Oct 1, 2014, 3:08 PM

Clean uniform.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you identify a Clemson lineman after the game?

Oct 1, 2014, 9:06 PM

That's a hoot. Good job.

A couple things stand out.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:03 PM

First, the wrong guys are carrying the load- everyone knows that. It should be Gallman/Choice.

Next, play calling.
I have to question the play calling some. If you have the ability to change the play, don't run the fb on 7/8 man fronts.
Next..
try and run the fb out of the spread to create space for backs, and maybe get creative.
Then..
how come we NEVER run toss sweeps?
And it never hurts having the right guys up front.

Used to use a short yardage fake dive with quick toss.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:11 PM

Worked well so we seemed to drop it.

Grew up in no hands OL days, but still seems we play high.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:20 PM

Don't guess we block one on one under the "chicken wire cage".....it sure as heck kept you low! Yep, ancient history.

Oct 1, 2014, 4:21 PM

Yes, put the linemen in a 3pt stance, have them fire off the ball and move the line of scrimmage, it's hard to be a physical line out of a 2pt stance

Oct 1, 2014, 4:35 PM

Its not the talent at any position! Its the play design and play calling. I put our running woes 100% on the coaches. Everything takes way too long to develope and so easy to read. Chad gets tunnel vision, especially in a tight game. Every time we struggle offensively you watch the play calling its obvious where the problem is. I love chad as our coordinator, he just over complicates everything and tries to use too much smoke and mirror crap. Want to fix our run game? Line up and go old school like wisconsin and arkansas. Quick handoff and hit the hole hard and low. Our guys dance and wait for hole to open and by then theyre covered up!

Oct 1, 2014, 9:10 PM

Good post. But, we just have the studs on the OL. And the ones we have don't fire off the ball.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:17 PM

Sorry, I meant we don't have the studs on the OL. My mistake.

Kurt Fleming

Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 PM

Why dont they give Kurt Fleming a shot. He's the type of runner that is lacking. If he comes in and runs over people and wear the defense down and bring in the fresh legs of Davidson, Gallman, Choice the running game would definitely improve.

Re: Kurt Fleming

Oct 1, 2014, 5:26 PM

About Fleming: The RB position is not just about running the ball. If the Coaches thought he could do the other things well, I'm sure he'd be in.

Oct 1, 2014, 5:32 PM

I don't know about that. I haven't exactly seen our running backs do all of the other things that come with the position. Not picking up blitzes, dropping passes out the back field etc. Our running game cant get any worst than Saturday night

Oct 1, 2014, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Kurt Fleming ]

These are the same coaches that kept telling us that DJ Howard was going to have a "breakout year." Oh, and Dabo announced that Battle is an "NFL talent." Really??? How the he## do they evaluate players?

Paul Macko***

Oct 1, 2014, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Kurt Fleming ]

Oct 1, 2014, 6:48 PM

The problem is why are we running if they are stacking the box against the run? If they are stupid enough to leave our wide outs in one on one coverage then why even run at all? We should pass it until they get out of that sort of defense and then we run with success.

Not that I really believe that UNC was in 8 and 9 man fronts but if they were why was our coaching staff putting us in bad positions???

Oct 1, 2014, 9:21 PM

We don't have great RB's and our OL is terrible. I'm afraid this will bite us in the butt against a very good NC State team.

Really?

Oct 2, 2014, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Can Clemson's run game be fixed? ]

1st Downs 27
Total Yards 528
Passing 436
Rushing 92

We have had games where our offense was less-than-stellar. This was not one of them.

Replies: 106
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic