Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney gets a "kick" out of practice this week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney gets a "kick" out of practice this week

Sep 24, 2014, 8:22 PM

Swinney gets a "kick" out of practice this week

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media Wednesday that he's been having fun with the kicking competition this week, and even lined up to a kick a field goal himself. What is the latest on the situation? How have the quarterbacks responded? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as if 5 of 10 and 0-2 vs. Clemson wasn't enough...

Sep 24, 2014, 8:24 PM

now it's public knowledge that our 44 yr. old coach is the best kicker on campus... and he toes it

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nice to hear that he is having fun with the team

Sep 24, 2014, 8:30 PM

They need it to shake off the bad loss. I am sure that it has been a rough week for all.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.***

Sep 24, 2014, 8:36 PM

Maybe we should have a hangover and lose Sat.***

Sep 24, 2014, 8:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO!!! Great teams respond to adversity. They don't

Sep 24, 2014, 8:45 PM

hang their heads. They learn from their mistakes and play better.

Could not agree more.***

Sep 24, 2014, 8:50 PM

Re: NO!!! Great teams respond to adversity. They don't

Sep 24, 2014, 9:27 PM [ in reply to NO!!! Great teams respond to adversity. They don't ]

Exactly, and for Lakip to hit rock bottom with those two kicks, I'm sure he will move forward and do his job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is technique and issue? In the picture it looks like he is

Sep 25, 2014, 8:11 AM

kicking with the inside of his foot instead of the top. Could this be why it is getting pulled?

Re: is technique and issue? In the picture it looks like he is

Sep 25, 2014, 9:16 AM

Kickers do not strike the ball with the "top" of their foot. He's striking it correctly. What I thought I saw in the FSU game was his plant foot, hips and follow through all swung to the left. Just some misalignment.

I'm sure it was a horrible weekend for him.

He'll get it. We'll support him and cheer him on!

You actually kick the ball with the inside top of...

Sep 25, 2014, 10:47 AM

your foot - kind of on the inside shoe laces. Kicking is very much like a golf swing in that timing and tempo are extremely important. His first kick was like a snap hook in golf - often seen on the first tee when a player is nervous - too much tension and the player/kicker tend to rush and jerk the ball. His second kick he relaxed too much and pushed the ball, again like a player who has just snapped hooked his first one out of bounds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks I was not a kicker of the ball but of the *sses...lol

Sep 25, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: is technique and issue? In the picture it looks like he is ]

I remember when our all time leading scoring started out this way and we wound up lovin' him!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:47 PM [ in reply to NO!!! Great teams respond to adversity. They don't ]

We are a good team at this point, but by no means a great team. I don't think we'll run the table from here on out. I can see losses to S.Car and to a tough BC team.

Sep 25, 2014, 9:33 PM

You do realize to lose to BC means they would have to develop WR to catch the ball and a QB that can throw the ball. They have neither. SC lost to them because their run defense is awful. That is not the case at Clemson. And if we do what we did vs. South Carolina last year minus the six turnovers, we win. Let's worry about UNC and go from there.

Re: it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.***

Sep 24, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

Football should ALWAYS be fun!

didn't Dabo say that the fun is in the winning? it feels

Sep 25, 2014, 8:12 AM

that way to me

Sep 25, 2014, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

If you have ever played football, let me assure you it's not always fun. It is a physically-demanding grind. I have a titanium knee to prove it.

i liken it to the philosophy of FTs in basketball...

Sep 24, 2014, 8:52 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

very similar.

They're are two schools of thought in basketball with this issue...

1. You shoot 200 a day and harp on how you have to get better

2. You don't mention, and don't put any extra pressure on them, probably using competitions to work on them

neither one is necessarily wrong, but the idea is these are both things you can spend so much time on that it hurts you

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Sep 24, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

And that's why you are not coaching. The game has to remain fun for them to care. They are already mentally beaten up with the UGA and FSU losses. Having a little fun will take the mental stress off - the type of stress that causes fundamental mistakes in crunch time against mediocre teams. Fun is good for the soul...

Sep 25, 2014, 8:16 AM

I'm sure Danny Ford was out there kicking field goals after we crapped away a game, too.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:54 PM

He was kicking a$$ and taking names.

It's been my experience as a coach

Sep 24, 2014, 9:37 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

that when you have an emotionally draining loss like we had Saturday the best thing to do is keep it loose to prevent making the team withdraw into it's shell.

no matter how tough it is you must put the game behind you

Sep 25, 2014, 8:15 AM

leave it in Tallahassee. That was always a problem during the TB years, one loss would cost us another and that is what eventually led to the clemsoning term.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:48 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

It should always be fun for them. These aren't professional athletes. They're college students. They should work hard to perform at the best of their abilities, but they don't deserve to be kicked around.

Sep 25, 2014, 9:02 PM

Who has suggested that they be "kicked around?" I haven't seen that post. Tough practices aren't kicking anyone around. These guys have accepted scholarships at one of the top Div.-1 programs in the country. As Harry Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." If you can't take it, quit.

How would you perform if you or one of your coworkers had

Sep 24, 2014, 11:21 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

Death threats? Remember that these guys are teenagers a few years removed. Loose teams normally perform better.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: How would you perform if you or one of your coworkers had

Sep 25, 2014, 9:05 PM

That's outrageous. Unfortunately there fare always a few maladjusted fanatics out there. They do not represent 99.9% of the tiger nation.

Yeah, how dare a sport be fun!***

Sep 25, 2014, 7:20 AM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

GO TIGERS

idjit***

Sep 25, 2014, 7:26 AM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2014, 7:28 AM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Always one in the bunch.***

Sep 25, 2014, 8:21 AM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Dabo could cure cancer and some of you would complain***

Sep 25, 2014, 8:31 AM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, everyone should be really uptight and lay an egg

Sep 25, 2014, 4:52 PM [ in reply to it shouldnt be a "fun" week after the way we lost.*** ]

this week also.

Re: New Story: Swinney gets a "kick" out of practice this week

Sep 24, 2014, 8:43 PM

I'm all for whatever might help to get the kickers mentally focused and settled.

Agree! SOS would make the kid feel like crap and

Sep 24, 2014, 8:46 PM

totally ruin him. SO glad Dabo coaches MY TEAM!!!!

Re: Agree! SOS would make the kid feel like crap and

Sep 24, 2014, 10:56 PM

> totally ruin him. SO glad Dabo coaches MY TEAM!!!!

Yes that is exactly what has happened to SCAR the past three years. Smh.

yes the atmosphere in cootlumbia is really good right now...

Sep 25, 2014, 8:18 AM

coaches fighting each other and players fighting each other. That is a real good team atmosphere you have there, I'm surprised anybody wants to be a part of that. The time is coming....and it will be this year.

Re: yes the atmosphere in cootlumbia is really good right now...

Sep 25, 2014, 10:16 AM

Echos of 2009, 2010, 2011 . . .

that's all ya got? we get it y'all are proud and should be

Sep 25, 2014, 12:22 PM

of that but 120 years and that's all ya got.

Sep 25, 2014, 3:10 PM [ in reply to yes the atmosphere in cootlumbia is really good right now... ]

players don't go to USC to be friends with their coach and it's been working. If these guys can't handle criticism then they don't belong on national television playing football. If anything Spurrier forces them to learn how to deal with it or just ignore it.

Just look at Saban in Alabama. That's probably the hardest place to play in America and it works for them...he's not friends with those guys.

Not saying one is right and one is wrong...just to each their own.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:57 PM

Hard to disagree with this. More than one way to skin a cat. Many can be effective.

T-DYE

Sep 24, 2014, 9:14 PM

Really wish we could get Dye back. I have watched him from living in the state of georgia and feel like he is a big back that is something special. Not to be mean but Gallman is not going to be a next big thing. You never know how special players like Andre Ellington really are out of the backfield and i feel that Dye is not as fast, but has agility and power to be like that type of back….hope he doesn't stay stay injured he's a good player.

Re: T-DYE

Sep 24, 2014, 9:27 PM

Is was really looking forawr to Ty-Dye. This year and last.

Sep 25, 2014, 8:09 AM [ in reply to T-DYE ]

We really need Dye back!!

Sep 25, 2014, 8:13 AM

I hope Dye is as good as many seem to think. I also fail to understand about getting him back unless it is back from injury. He can not come back to playing or resuming a high level of play because he has never played a down of college football.

You mean Tye Dye..***

Sep 25, 2014, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: T-DYE ]

Sep 24, 2014, 11:38 PM

did anyone else notice on the 2nd missed fg that the holder had his hand halfway down the ball when the kick was made. I don't know a lot about the kicking game, but I thought the ball was supposed to held at the tip of the top of the ball. I wondered at the time if that did not throw the kicker off and made him kick differently.

Not sure about the hold on the 1st one

I'm 44, I nailed it - Dabo vs I'm a man, I'm 40 - Gundy ****

Sep 25, 2014, 8:22 AM

It doesnt take a lot of talent to kick a 23 yarder...AMEN

Sep 25, 2014, 8:35 AM

but geez he just landblasted Ammon Lakip!! He's missed two VERY short ones.

You completely missed the point***

Sep 25, 2014, 9:00 PM

Not shocking***

Sep 25, 2014, 9:01 PM

Clemson

Sep 25, 2014, 9:19 AM

Good way to get rid of the stress. Have a little fun at practice. Then buckle down and get to work. Wonder how many lost bets saying he couldn' t kick a 23 yard field goal? LOL ! GO TIGERS !!!

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic