Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday?

Sep 17, 2014, 2:27 PM

Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday?

Florida St. quarterback Jameis Winston is suspended for the first half Saturday - what does that mean for Clemson? TigerNet takes a look at backup Sean Maguire and talks about the opportunity Clemson has to make a statement. (Melina Vastola/USAT) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still don't fully buy this "due to Winston being suspended

Sep 17, 2014, 2:39 PM

thing....I could see it being that way if in the second half, he looks unstoppable and you can see the whole game changing when he enters. But if per chance Clemson can lead a good defensive game both halves, and be able to even keep Winston in check the second half and limiting his play-making or create turnovers against him with him in the game, it'd be hard to say his suspension affected the game's outcome.

Re: I still don't fully buy this "due to Winston being suspended

Sep 17, 2014, 3:04 PM

I agree completely. Result won't be tarnished if we score in the high 20s/low 30s and win. Must score either way and I wouldn't change the schemes too much on D. Running game will be more of a factor in the 1st half especially for FSU. They will try to dominate the TOP game with their OL. We've got to stop their run game.

Sep 17, 2014, 8:09 PM

We need to go all out regardless of who their QB is. Our offense has got to come through. Nickel and dime them with 5 to 7 yard passes, then occasionally hit them with our big boys, Kurt Flemming and Adam Choice. BC, which is notorious for playing tough, smash-mouth football had FSU on the ropes last year. Anyone notice what BC did to Southern Cal. last weekend? We have to beat them in the trenches, period. But it will take a controlled violence that I'm not sure this team has. Time will tell.

Sep 17, 2014, 7:00 PM [ in reply to I still don't fully buy this "due to Winston being suspended ]

If the game is close and there is a lift for FSU when Winston starts the second half, then insert Watson and let them go head-to-head. It should make an interesting half of football.

I realize we won't have enough fans in the stadium to inspire the players (who may be tired from going all-out in the first half, but Watson just might give them the lift they need to finish strong.

Sep 17, 2014, 8:21 PM

We have to substitute more wisely than we have in the past, and be able to adjust as they do. We have to use our entire arsenal, including the talented freshmen we have. And when Winston comes into the game in the second half, amp it up and go after him full bore. He doesn't play defense. so if our offense can make first downs and score points, then he'll be sitting on the sidelines. Our offense, particularly the OL, lost the UGA game. They will have to play at a different level in order for us to upset FSU.

Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday?

Sep 17, 2014, 2:42 PM

Once a thug,always a thug.His true colors are shining through..

Sep 17, 2014, 2:55 PM

> Once a thug,always a thug.His true colors are shining
> through..

don't be an idiot, man. How does yelling out internet memes (however inappropriate) on a cafeteria table equate to "thug"? If it was his backup doing this, you'd be calling him "childish" or "immature" instead of "a thug". Save that crap for when it's actually applicable, or you're just gonna end up sounding ignorant and racist.

Sep 17, 2014, 3:43 PM

Shut you politically correct pie hole up you maggot. The guy should be in jail instead of playing ball. You're not a Clemson fan so I know you know little about class, but thank god we have a coach with morals instead An ingrate like yourself. The original poster could have been referring to any of MANY incidents to include potential rape, theft, malicious injury to property.... Etc. think before speak because the only ignorant person I see is you!

Sep 17, 2014, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

You couldn't be more off base on this one, but it's your right to show it. Wow! It is childish and immature. It's also thug-like in that it another of his "in your face", "I am Jameis Winston and I can say anything I want, anywhere I want, anytime I want, and I will get by with it". That is the way gang members and other stupid punks think, too, and that is very thuggy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2014, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

They're probably referring to all the other trouble Winston has been into too I mean come on how do "forget" to pay for something especially if it's the only thing you got and with allegations of rape and everything also calling someone a thug has nothing to do with race

Sep 17, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

What a stupid post. This guy has a history of sexually inappropriate behavior that transcends any type of teenage folly. In a respectable program, he would probably be off the team. I wish he was playing the full game, but really shouldn't be playing at all. He has some major character issues that in my opinion qualify him as being labeled "a thug." It is what it is.

Sep 18, 2014, 6:00 AM

Best post you have ever made, slumdog, and you get a thumbs up for it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

> > Once a thug,always a thug.His true colors are
> shining
> > through..
>
> don't be an idiot, man. How does yelling out internet
> memes (however inappropriate) on a cafeteria table
> equate to "thug"? If it was his backup doing this,
> you'd be calling him "childish" or "immature" instead
> of "a thug". Save that crap for when it's actually
> applicable, or you're just gonna end up sounding
> ignorant and racist.

Where the hell have u been? BB gun blowin out windows, stealing soda from Burger King of all places, accused of rape, stealing crab legs, and now this. I would say that is a thuggish pattern of behavior. It is in no way ignorant for someone to point out facts. Did you see him three years ago on Dilfer's Elite 11 QB challenge? ESPN built this kid up and inflated his ego.

If I'm Venables I'm blitzing early and often

Sep 17, 2014, 2:45 PM

I want that QB confused and hearing footsteps. I'm playing press man with a safety on Greene. Alexander will be put tp the test because I'm putting him right on Greene and telling him to shut that guy down.

We couldn't blitz them for crap last year

Sep 17, 2014, 3:29 PM

OL was just too strong.

Going to have to figure something out.

Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 PM

As a Clemson fan I don't like it, but agree that we have to go all out with our full arsenal. And when Winston comes into the game keep our foot pedal to the metal. Cautious and conservative ain't going to get it.

Sep 17, 2014, 2:48 PM

Our offense is going to have to make first downs and score points. They can't throw it on the defense.

Sep 17, 2014, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

Your last sentence says so much. Too often we get a little lead and sit on it. This is no time to take our foot off the gas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2014, 2:54 PM

A win is a win. He should be suspended for a few games at least, IMO. We had starter(s)suspended for UGA game and nobody calls out that point. (I know its not the same - nationally) I could give a crap if he was supspended the whole game and we won.
Clemson trys not to recruit these type players and if we do and there is trouble they are gone or there is some fairly harse punishment.
So we get a break....FSU will not have their starting QB for 1/2 the game. Great for us, take advantage if you can.
My opinion is that if you were going to beat them in the first place you had to be aggressive for the get go. Maybe the game plan is tweaked some, but for the most part we should have the same mindset no matter who is at QB!

Sep 17, 2014, 6:02 PM

If Winston were at CU he would have missed the entire game, if he was still on the team. FSU is a blight on the ACC. Win at all costs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2014, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Winston's suspension: What does it mean for Clemson Saturday? ]

Great post.

This stinks. It takes away the luster of the accomplishment when we win.

Sep 17, 2014, 3:05 PM

.... And if CU loses, and I highly doubt that happens now.... It becomes a 'bad loss'.
This really stinks.

Re: This stinks. It takes away the luster of the accomplishment when we win.

Sep 17, 2014, 5:09 PM

I doubt we lose, but there will be no luster lost. We still will go down as whipping the #1 team in the land, and the toombstone will look great along with all the others.

"Buck" otherwise short for "buck, buck, buck-awwwk!!". You

Sep 17, 2014, 6:19 PM [ in reply to This stinks. It takes away the luster of the accomplishment when we win. ]

can't possibly think you're fooling anyone with your 27 demented handles, can you? Bottom line is you're a deranged individual and don't care who knows it. You just keep it up day in and day out, getting a bizarre sense of accomplishment from the whole multi-handled, twisted charade. Seriously, what's wrong with you?

This stinks. It takes away the luster of the accomplishment when we win.

Sep 17, 2014, 3:05 PM

.... And if CU loses, and I highly doubt that happens now.... It becomes a 'bad loss'.
This really stinks.

I still feel pretty good about the time we beat FSU when

Sep 17, 2014, 3:58 PM

they had to play Clint Trickett instead of EJ Manuel a few years ago.

That's still a big old Clemson Tiger "W" in the record books.

We should never downplay a Clemson win over a team suffering from some sort of adversity. No one has ever cut Clemson any slack whey we've had to play shorthanded.

I believe when NC State pounded us 37-13 when Sammy was out and we had no OT on the left side, all the press and fans everywhere said about the game was simply that "Clemson Sucked" ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It means that when Winston shows up second half .....

Sep 17, 2014, 3:10 PM

Our defense just completely shuts him down and then we all have a big party and drink "several" beers and .....

Sep 17, 2014, 3:28 PM

Probably not much, unless they suspend the defense also!

Our Chance To Build The Big Lead And Hurt FSU

Sep 17, 2014, 3:43 PM

Then when Winston comes back in
he will have to work hard to get
FSU back in it. Which could lead
to his added pain and frustration.

Creatively blitz until he proves he can beat D w/ his arm.***

Sep 17, 2014, 4:32 PM

I hope he plays with that mouthpiece out on Saturday***

Sep 17, 2014, 4:49 PM

Sep 17, 2014, 5:12 PM

Bring it! I hate that ######. I hope when he comes in after the half Grady J knocks his teeth out.

Sep 17, 2014, 9:02 PM

We will have to play four quarters of all-out smash mouth football no matter who is playing QB. Look at what BC just did to Southern Cal with 2-star players. Hit them in the mouth. They must have one hell of a strength program.
Do we have this type of hard-nosed team? If Jordan Leggett
is any example, then the answer is "no." Even at 251, he apparently doesn't care to block anyone. I'll take a tough guy like J.J. McCullough any day, and I hope he starts. Play our beasts like Crowder, Flemming and hope that we can somehow compensate for two starting tackles who are each 30 to 35 pounds under the weight they should be playing at.

Take a W. period.

Sep 17, 2014, 5:18 PM

Off the field performance is part of the game.

I don't care what anyone else in the nation would think if

Sep 17, 2014, 5:32 PM

we beat them with Winston on the bench Saturday night. We'll take the win and the lead in the division race. It would be a sweet victory if we could drive it home to a conference title.

I wish he wasn't suspended. I think it helps them/hurts us.

Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 PM

He's going to be even more fired up in the 2nd half and we may change our preparation a little leading up to the game.

Now if we win the national media will say it's only because Winston was out.

If they beat us anyway then Winston can say he only needs 2 quarters to beat us.

Wish they were full strength.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish he wasn't suspended. I think it helps them/hurts us.

Sep 17, 2014, 7:39 PM

I say let's when first and worry about all that later

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2014, 7:40 PM

Win not when. #### auto correct

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2014, 9:06 PM [ in reply to I wish he wasn't suspended. I think it helps them/hurts us. ]

That's why we have to physically beat them, especially in the trenches, especially in the trenches.

Wow! That is close to what I said and I was called a Coot.

Sep 18, 2014, 5:19 AM [ in reply to I wish he wasn't suspended. I think it helps them/hurts us. ]

Ditto head says it and it's Otay! True, this game is tainted. Not in the record book, but in public opinion. FSU is playing us with one hand tied behind their backs. We can't just beat them--we have to stomp their hineys

Means we can trade more 3-and-outs during the first half

Sep 17, 2014, 7:16 PM

FSU will be less likely to score. Our defense can blitz more making their OL look just as bad as ours. This will prove to the coaches that the QB position really does matter and that we need to play the person that gives us the best chance to win the game and not someone has "earned" the right to play.

Sep 17, 2014, 9:19 PM

Who knows our D may play out of their minds and they may make Winston look bad too? If that happens what will they say then?

Sep 17, 2014, 11:48 PM

Maybe we should just play our back up the first half also. Just to show them we're going to give them a break:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 1:28 AM

Love it. You should make that your header.

Sep 18, 2014, 4:56 AM

In all fairness, we should start our backup QB too. Lol!! Just kidding guys. Thought that was a funny take on the situation. I'm more than confident in what Dabo and Chad are doing at the position. It's a great situation to be in for sure.

Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM

I reference to element post, once.a.thug, always a thug, that is a very accurate discription. This individual has been accused of rape, which probably is not over with, arrested for shoplifting, and now this incident at the student union. If you take the time to read the statement from the FSU President that Student Athlete's are held to the highest standards as representatives of FSU. Winston has basically said the heck with the stanards, I'll act, say and do as I please.
Something else, which is extremely obvious, is the win at all cost attitude with their Head Coach. If the FSU board had not stepped in and directed the A D to do something, Fischer would have let it slide. Maybe the NCAA should get envolved and pass their own punishment down. I don't know of another College or University that would tolerate this type behavior.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic