Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: If defense wins championships, Tigers might have the talent to make a run
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

New Story: If defense wins championships, Tigers might have the talent to make a run

Aug 12, 2014, 8:35 AM

If defense wins championships, Tigers might have the talent to make a run

Clemson's defense has the potential to be good this season. How good? That remains to be seen, but the pieces are in place and Brent Venables has developed depth across the board. If defense wins championships, then this team has the talent to make a run. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: If defense wins championships, Tigers might have the talent to make a run

Aug 12, 2014, 8:48 AM

Like you said before defense is won in the trenches. Teams like Bama, Auburn, FSU, and LSU win their games up front offensively and defensively. And to compete with those teams we have to play just as hard if not harder to prove that we are no push over. They made strides last year with the way they played. Granted the FSU game was out of hand before they could get their heads in it. And the SCar game last year the defense was doing their jobs. The OSU game they showed what they could really be capable of with the talent along the lines. If they build on that OSU game and take that chip and make it into a Sequoia tree they will not only turn heads, they will have everyone wondering where in the heck did this defense come from. Venables has always had a great defense and he is building that caliber defense here. Piece by piece, block by block he is turning into a stout group.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: If defense wins championships, Tigers might have the talent to make a run

Aug 12, 2014, 12:21 PM

I remember when Dabo introduced BV to Tiger Nation, there was a lot of mumbling of oh no, Oklahoma fans are saying they are glad he is leaving. No Dabo, you are making a big mistake, we want this or that coach. Ya think!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're stacked at every position. Even the secondary

Aug 12, 2014, 8:51 AM

It's amazing just how fast Venables turned this team around from a liability two years ago into a legit top 5-10 D. If we'd have had better safety play last year we could have being top 10 in most categories. Even having said that the D was leaps and bounds above the 2011 and 2012 squads. By all accounts Baker, Green, Kearse and Smith are ready to go and we can always move Wiggins and Blanks back there as well if need be.

we two deep***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:24 AM

We three deep in much of the D.***

Aug 12, 2014, 1:52 PM

We three deep

Aug 13, 2014, 1:55 PM [ in reply to we two deep*** ]

At some positions

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we're certainly not stacked w/ proven talent at DB

Aug 19, 2019, 7:43 PM [ in reply to We're stacked at every position. Even the secondary ]

The only guys who have shown they can be reliable in the secondary so far are Robert Smith and maybe Martin Jenkins and Garry Peters (although we can't seem to keep Peters in the game).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we're certainly not stacked w/ proven talent at DB

Aug 12, 2014, 12:24 PM

Yea, that perv, Peters is always out :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're stacked at every position. Even the secondary

Aug 12, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to We're stacked at every position. Even the secondary ]

Last year we had a true freshman playing at safety and it showed.... Kearse played his haart out and is an incredible play maker. BUT he got burned a lot ... 2 TDs in the OSU game was on Kearse not covering his man..... eyes on the wrong place as Venables would say.... With Kearse, Blanks and Wiggins and the others back I expect those 'busts' not to happen as often... they are all experienced this year...

Aug 12, 2014, 9:57 AM

In my opinion, Coach Venables may have the best defense taking the field that Clemson has seen in a long time. The depth at all positions is strong and allows for multiple schemes, as well as substitution as needed. This defensive group will keep the game close and probably score some points on turn overs to help take some pressure off the offense. GO TIGERS

Spot the ball!***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:06 AM

Agreed. We're getting the right kind of attention

Aug 12, 2014, 10:18 AM

Often times the "most explosive offenses" aren't what carries the team. Grinding it out on defense is usually what keeps the players and the fans pumped up. Momentum throughout a game can be maintained much more effectively with a team that can get the ball right back into their center's hands.

Re: Agreed. We're getting the right kind of attention

Aug 12, 2014, 11:12 AM

We excelled at 3 and outs last year and TFLs.... this year I hope to see the plays over 20yrds improve a lot! :)

I look forward to seeing the OL at UGA and others with their had on their thighs catching air playing against our DL! Because of depth and a quality rotation I expect our guys to be full speed in the 4th.

Re: Agreed. We're getting the right kind of attention

Aug 12, 2014, 12:58 PM

Oh Yes, we will keep presure the whole game in every game with our defensive depth. Cole will have plenty of opertunities to put us some points on the board. Wouldn't this have been an awesome year to have had Catman kicking for us. Mr. Reliable by him self could have won most of our games!!!

Let's not put the horse before the cart, I remember the last

Aug 12, 2014, 2:08 PM

time a Clemson defense was bragging in fall camp about being great....Cavell Conner and some of the LB's were bragging they'd have the #1 run defense that year....well it didnt quite pan out. The defense was barely mediocre that year.

I've been burned time and time again by buying into fall camp hype about a Clemson team. I'm taking the "show me" approach from now on. Don't brag, just do it.

Yea, let's see if that horse can push the cart... novel idea***

Aug 18, 2014, 5:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot the d@mn ball.***

Aug 13, 2014, 8:20 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2014, 1:50 PM

The Tigers will win in athens, and they will win in tallahassee, and they will beat sc in The Valley.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2014, 4:58 PM

Super exicted about this D!!!!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic