Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tavaris Barnes on this season: "It's Do or Die"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

New Story: Tavaris Barnes on this season: "It's Do or Die"

Aug 7, 2014, 10:53 AM

Tavaris Barnes on this season: "It's Do or Die"

Tavaris Barnes has spent the majority of his career taking a backseat to players like Vic Beasley and Corey Crawford. The 2014 season will be his last in a Clemson uniform and he's ready to prove his doubters wrong? What changed his focus? What did he do in the offseason to prepare for the season? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do we need to emphasize this grammar choice here?

Aug 7, 2014, 11:05 AM

really?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first thought...

Aug 7, 2014, 11:10 AM

ebonics for all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not even close . . . is a very old, often repeated saying.

Aug 7, 2014, 5:17 PM

Ignorance on your part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Not even close . . . is a very old, often repeated saying.

Aug 7, 2014, 5:30 PM

Absolutely. My dad use to say it all the time. Also one of my personal favorites - he would say he was one of the right kind of "someus boys" - someus got it - someus dont! Or perhaps in this case someus get it and someus don't.

I have heard that many times in my many years

Aug 7, 2014, 6:58 PM

in the rural South - nothing to reflect on anybody's lack of anything.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: do we need to emphasize this grammar choice here?

Aug 7, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to do we need to emphasize this grammar choice here? ]

I didn't like the quote, but when I read the other comments he made, he seemed pretty grammatically correct. I surmise the poor choice of words are just a saying picked up from someone else in ebonics lingo and repeated.

I will say that I watched him in the Spring Game, and he and Beasley shut down, and may even have helped cause the exit of, Kelly. I can't wait to see OC's and QB's trying to figure out how to game plan around Beasley and Barnes and the rest of our Defense. A Nightmare!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 11:40 AM

Yeah, the guy is clearly a smart dude. The "you is or you aint" is probably just colloquial among the players.

No "probably" to it... Completely intentional. I use it some***

Aug 7, 2014, 11:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's old folks speak.

Aug 7, 2014, 12:27 PM

"Is you is or is you ain't," was used as far back as I can remember and I'm an old #### with a good memory for everything trivial. It was used by one of the politicians in the popular movie 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?'

"Is you is or is you ain't my constituency?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further back than that ....

Aug 7, 2014, 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7M4thNT_EY

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Swing'....***

Aug 7, 2014, 12:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I remember it from the older Tom and Jerry...

Aug 7, 2014, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Further back than that .... ]

...cartons. As a matter of fact I think it was that song but it was sang by someone different with a little different beat.

Here ya go....

Aug 7, 2014, 10:51 PM

I got my two boys (7 & 4) into watching old Tom and Jerry cartoons on DVD. I don't even know the number of times I heard that song in the car. They started singing along with it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-sLX5UZaxk

Aug 7, 2014, 11:57 AM [ in reply to do we need to emphasize this grammar choice here? ]

Anyone on Tigernet criticizing someone for grammar is the height of hypocrisy. On top of that its dumb, out of touch, and condescending and a bit racist. Meanie

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Aug 7, 2014, 2:49 PM

MSTiger02, please tell me where did the racism come into this picture of idle conversation. Surely not b/c Barnes is a black guy. If that is the reason, maybe you're having a racism problem within yourself. While I was reading the comments, I was reading with inner laughter. And my laughter was coming from, is that I was trying to remember how long ago was it that I had to stop myself from using that exact same speech. Either you is or is you ain't coming wid me to da sto. Are you coming with me to the store, or are you not. I'm 50/50 white/Indian. If the speech is used by color, I guess the Indian part of me was the part using is you or is you ain't going to da sto wid me!!! You could make the case that Henry lee and Williemay been up da hill, a racist thing. I grew up so far in the country that we got second hand rain. And all the country folks thought the city people just talked funny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 3:19 PM

Labeling the saying as "Ebonics" is definitely racist. The End.

korncoot is that you? feel = phil right?***

Aug 8, 2014, 9:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Aug 8, 2014, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: do we need to emphasize this grammar choice here? ]

I'm half white/indian as well. Of course not because barnes is a black guy. Its because his language choice (which i considered great quip) was considered inferior by others because it was "black talk" or "ebonics". NOT simply because it wasn't by the book (insert really long soap box about language being primarily spoken not written, therefore there is no "proper english") but because it was "ebonics" short hand "for those black people really screw up 'our' language because they are black. Like I tell my kids when they try to correct my countryisms - If you knew what I meant well enough to correct it then keep your mouth shut.

This is America dang it and i have as much right to make up words as the next guy. =)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

nod to Louis Armstrong. Is you Is, or Is you Ain't my baby?***

Aug 7, 2014, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

man I can't wait for this season to start

Aug 7, 2014, 12:08 PM

I'm very anxious to see how we turn out this season. This is the deepest depth we have had in a while. I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a great season. Go tigers! #beat georgia!

Re: man I can't wait for this season to start

Aug 7, 2014, 12:26 PM

I expect the defense to put the fear of God into opposing offenses starting right out the gate. I want them to smother the QB and limit Gurley and Marshall and I think we have all the talent and coaching to do it

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: man I can't wait for this season to start

Aug 7, 2014, 2:54 PM

I'm choosing to believe we is, dat good:)

Re: New Story: Tavaris Barnes on this season: "It's Do or Die"

Aug 7, 2014, 12:31 PM

Sounds a lot like Dwayne Allen before his Senior season. Hope the results are the same

Good luck big fella! Reach for the stars***

Aug 7, 2014, 4:13 PM

Aug 7, 2014, 6:08 PM

Well then....

I says that he and Beastly should bees tearing it up on dem ends!!

Feel me dog??

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2014, 6:11 PM

I feel ya road dog;)

Aug 7, 2014, 7:25 PM
image.jpg(47.0 K)

Those are strong words from a huge guy!! I hope he plays mean because he has the ability! Looks like when guys are not giving their best there would be a way to motivate them to reach their potential before their senior year. I'm sure Dabo has been trying to motivate him knowing the kind of talent he could be.

I hope he is an all-American. He will have to have a bunch of sacks, tackles and hurries. I hope he hits Winston every play and knocks those crab legs out of him!!

Go Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Concerned that it took him 4 years to get it

Aug 7, 2014, 8:28 PM

But glad he finally gets it. We're gonna have some cold blooded heat seeking missiles on this team..

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Concerned that it took him 4 years to get it

Aug 8, 2014, 6:46 AM

Is he is or is he ain't Crawford's back-up ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Barnes motivation is more reason....

Aug 7, 2014, 10:44 PM

to move Vic Beasley to OLB

Barnes gets it

He's playing for a paycheck

His motor is going to be nonstop

Crawford and Barnes at the edges

Beasley standing up as an OLB (where he may play in the NFL)

All about getting the best 11 on the field

Re: Barnes motivation is more reason....

Aug 8, 2014, 9:18 AM

Yeah, let's switch the position of our All-American DE and projected 1st Round Pick right before his senior season.

THAT MAKES SENSE.

Tavaris, I hope that you have the type of year that you

Aug 7, 2014, 10:59 PM

have dreamed about and worked for. Great to see someone with your confidence and drive and looking for a lot of QB sacks.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic