Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Chip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,880

Plyler's Blog: Chip

Jul 2, 2014, 8:10 AM

Chip

Chip
Several times over the last few years I have had a good feeling about games in which some may have thought Clemson was outmanned.  The reason was the "chip on the shoulder" the Tigers showcased.

It can't happen every week.  It can't happen every time you are an underdog.  Sometimes

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Chip

Jul 4, 2014, 11:33 AM

Winning a season opener on the road against a Top-10 team would be a monumental achievement for Clemson ... historically unprecedented actually.

The Georgia game is a true "statement game" opportunity for Clemson.

What kind of statement will our Tigers make?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2014, 11:44 AM

I wish he wouldn't use the LSU bowl game as an example to make his point. We were doggone lucky to escape with that "W". Any decent OC would have simply run the ball 3 times and punted on their last possession to force us to use our timeouts or run out the clock. LSU choked that game away, and then it took a miracle 4th-and-long laser pass to Nuk to have a chance to win it. Nah - I am just thankful to win that game, and won't celebrate it too much.

As for UGA - I'm not sure we need a chip to beat an over-rated UGA team that has a depleted secondary. Cole Stoudt will surgically dissect their secondary. Only a miracle is going to save UGA from the slaughter. No offense against Boyd, but Cole delivers the ball much quicker than Boyd did. He just can't make those laser-passes to the boundaries.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clemson was prepared to use its timeouts to force the punt

Jul 4, 2014, 12:11 PM

with plenty of time on the clock by stacking the los & then drive for the game winning field goal. it's interesting you're willing to "rewrite" lsu's last possession, but still hold to the ###### of a "miracle laser"?

the game is 60 minutes for a reason, clemson dominated the 4th, deciding and most important quarter.

can't make you enjoy a great win over a great team, but if i was you, which i'm not, i'd try.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to disagree on both points ...

Jul 4, 2014, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Chip ]

Against LSU, we were the better team ... in enough facets of the game to win against a team with perhaps more great athletes.

I will never concede that luck had anything to do with us beating LSU in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl ... any more than I would concede that FSU was "lucky" in the Puntrooski Game, or any of dozens of other games where Clemson has come up just short because we called a suspect play or our guys just didn't perform in the clutch.

Maybe Les Miles could have and should have called different plays, but the plays were there, it was the players who didn't execute.

And as for the 4th & 14 being a "miracle" ... well, we are long over due for a lot of miracles considering how many times the shoe has been on the other foot over the years.

Even after the "questionable calls" that got us the ball back, and the "miracle" 4th down pass that allowed us to keep it, we still had to move the ball another 30-40 yards against what most had deemed the stoutest defense in the country. And then we had to hit a clutch field goal under tremendous pressure.

The time honored adage is that winners make their own luck.

IMHO, if we were lucky, it was because we put ourselves in a position to take advantage of our good fortune.

Now, regarding Georgia ... in Athens, we have won exactly twice in modern history, by razor thin margins both times. Even arguably our best team ever in 1982 came up short in a game with a lot of similarities to the opener this year.

I have confidence that we can win, and I think we are now a team that believes we will win the big one and we have the coaches and the personnel to make it happen, but I will still have to see it actually happen on the road against The Dawgs in the opener this season.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2014, 1:47 PM

Mickey I am sure you have heard a many times, us old timers say that we really hope that we are the underdogs in big games. I guess its that Chip that you're talking about in your thread. I'll tell you and any body who will listen. If Clemson FB is ever tagged as an underdog in big games, our guys will come out and show the fight their dog has. Any time our guys has felt disrespected by the big DOG media, they will come in and show that they have a BIG DOG bite. That is when the big dog media their fans will start claiming that their team didn't want to be there playing in a bowl game against Clemson.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,880
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic