Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Rebuilding?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Rebuilding?

Jun 30, 2014, 7:24 AM

Rebuilding?

Rebuilding?
This weekend I stuck my nose in the 2014 Phil Steele College Football Preview magazine.  For those that don't buy it or have not yet, it is by far the best of the preseason mags.

This year he is not very high on Clemson, especially on offense.  Steele said Clemson was the sev

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have anything original to offer?

Jun 30, 2014, 8:09 AM

Would you like to offer some personal opinion on this information or are you satisfied with solely copying Steele's magazine? Your 'article' strikes me as a poor advertisement for the magazine or a case of plagiarism.

Re: Do you have anything original to offer?

Jun 30, 2014, 8:30 AM

solid article. got to respect phil....he doesn't pull punches.

Jun 30, 2014, 10:06 AM

I agree. No way a college FB team can be successful with a 1st year starter.

Glad Phil told you what you wanted to hear. That won't matter here in about 2 months, though.

unless you're thuga amirite?***

Jun 30, 2014, 12:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jul 1, 2014, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you have anything original to offer? ]

Generally speaking, I have a lot of respect for Phil. He definitely has all the stats. He does, however, tend to miss the human element in his analysis. He also misses improvement that individual players make year over year.

His general assumption is that those misses will even out and that every team will have some number of players who make significant progress from year to year and that by weighing experience evenly, he will capture that effect. Boyd's progress from his Fr to Soph seasons is one he missed. This year, I think he's missing what Stoudt brings to the table. I also think he's under rated our secondary and LB corp on defense.

Looking at our receivers, that seems to be another obvious miss. We have 2 senior leaders in Humphries and Peake and a boatload of talented underclassmen. We've got Hopper and Williams saw a lot of action as freshmen and both will have some moments as will 4 uber talented freshmen. I'm not saying they're all world, but by the end of next season, they'll be in the top 2-3 units in the conference without a doubt.

Use it for a pillow and sleep well until late August.

Jun 30, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you have anything original to offer? ]

Your awakening will be rude ... and painful.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree...while the stats and prediction is interesting...I

Jun 30, 2014, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Do you have anything original to offer? ]

don't understand why that was all I read in the blog. Why not add some commentary on if you think it's realistic or not? Isn't that the point of a blog?

Re: I agree...while the stats and prediction is interesting...I

Jul 1, 2014, 9:40 AM

Plyler has a bit of a ceiling. Personally, I give him credit for just reporting what Phil said rather than trying to add too much. Phil is in a very different league.

Plagiarism would be copying without attribution

Jun 30, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Do you have anything original to offer? ]

He certainly gives Steele credit for the information.

I'd agree that I'd like to see some insight into agreement or disagreement with the rankings, but don't insinuate plagiarism. Serious writers really don't like having the word bandied about. thanks.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Rebuilding?

Jun 30, 2014, 8:36 AM

The most worrisome aspect is the OL. If our OL is not good then we are in trouble (8 win season). If the OL can pull together then we have a chance. Basically Battle is the only good option at OT and if he gets hurt then the season could be ugly.

Jun 30, 2014, 2:04 PM

get real. You're going to hang a bad season on one player. Think man, think!

Steele is going to be in for a surprise when we start off

Jun 30, 2014, 8:43 AM

season with a win against his (number 7 ranked in his mag) Dawgs!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big year for Chad Morris's resume ....

Jun 30, 2014, 8:56 AM

Both Chad and Robbie can prove a lot of folks wrong about the forecasted offensive problems.

If Morris's offense has good games versus UGA, FSU and SC, then he is probably gone after this year. I think a lot of AD's are waiting to see what he does with a new cast of characters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the first time I've read your blog in years.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:51 AM

I was immediately reminded of why I stopped reading them years ago....

Nothing original...Literally, all you did was paraphrase a magazine after plugging it as the best....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

got TD'd by mackey, must've gotten under his skin.***

Jun 30, 2014, 12:40 PM

Re: This is the first time I've read your blog in years.

Jun 30, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to This is the first time I've read your blog in years. ]

It's not plagiarism if he attributes to the original writer. Learn the use of the word you SC coot.

Coot??? LULZ

Jun 30, 2014, 2:09 PM

says the guy with 16 posts in over 5 years. GTFO.

Also, where did I say it was plagiarism???

you must be one of mackeys buddies....

True, but he still didn't include any original info

Jun 30, 2014, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: This is the first time I've read your blog in years. ]

Just said "Here's what he said about this" for various stats. Not only was there no commentary by Mickey there, but it theoretically takes sales away from Steele since a Clemson fan who might have bought the magazine for that info, now knows what the prediction was anyway.

GO TIGERS

Dude, just photocopy and paste the article next time...

Jun 30, 2014, 10:42 AM

You're better than this.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

That's not plagiarism. That's copyright infringement....***

Jun 30, 2014, 11:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo not COY?...Inconceivable!***

Jun 30, 2014, 11:21 AM

nm

Jun 30, 2014, 2:01 PM

So from year to year, does anyone know how accurate Mr. Steele is in his analysis, particularly as it relates to the Tigers. I personally don't put much stock in any of those rags because all they can base their opinion on is stats and returning players. They never take into account the intagibles like what drives players and coaches to succeed and excel. Who cares what Phil says!

Jul 1, 2014, 9:46 AM

Steele is more accurate than any of the other pre-season mags, mostly because he gets into the weeds. He's data centric and digs thoroughly into the schedule when he makes his picks.

A lot of his predictions, however, are just statistical trends that he rehashes every year. For example, a team that lost of lot of close games and had a lot of turnovers and/or injuries the season before will probably have a major improvement the following season. Those stats are actually one of his "power predictors". Clemson gets rated lower this year because we're young and inexperienced on offense and we play 2 top 10 teams on the road early.

Statistically, a team who loses a 3 year starting QB and plans to play a kid with no starting experience will do worse than the did the previous season.

And, Who Is This Steele Fellow ?

Jul 4, 2014, 8:58 PM

Is he some sort of all knowing psychic? Clemson is 12-0 this year ... Remember, you heard it first here on TigerNet !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic