Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone else remember when Wilhelm started planning for his
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Anyone else remember when Wilhelm started planning for his

May 22, 2014, 8:46 AM

retirement and brought in Leggett? That was smart planning and kept the program moving consistently from a recruiting standpoint.

Jack Leg is about the same age as Wilhelm (at that point in time) and he hasn't brought in or designated a head coach in waiting. Why?

And it's sirius Thursday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Coach Wilhelm was 64 when he retired....

May 22, 2014, 8:58 AM

Jack just turned 60 a couple of months ago.

The biggest difference is I don't think Jack is even remotely contemplating his retirement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Coach Wilhelm was 64 when he retired....

May 22, 2014, 9:02 AM

maybe the admin and BOT will help him along with his planning

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I appreciate all that Jack has accomplished at Clemson

May 22, 2014, 9:03 AM

it may be time for the two to part company.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Anyone else remember when Wilhelm started planning for his

May 22, 2014, 8:58 AM

Because Jack never plans on retiring. His life is BB, and he will claw his way to his grave if its possible in a BB uniform.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coach wilhelm was hc @ clemson since '58 or 36 seasons when

May 22, 2014, 9:05 AM

he retired, so jl has a few more years to go...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: coach wilhelm was hc @ clemson since '58 or 36 seasons when

May 22, 2014, 9:50 AM

I have no problem with JL staying longer, but I just wish we saw more positive results than we have seen of late (last several seasons). Sadly, I do think JL may have reached his plateau (maybe even his highest peak).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok. i'd like to see jl usher in the new player areas before

May 22, 2014, 10:04 AM

he turns the keys over in a similar fashion to coach wilhelm.

scar, uva, unc & others way outdistance cu in those player areas from all i've seen. most of what has been done to tiger field has been fan driven, cosmetic. don't get me wrong all of it is nice, but doesn't completely speak to today's recruiting. while clemson waits on the needed player amenities, i'm not sure jl isn't the best person for the job as he still demands a lot of respect in ncaa baseball. i think he still recruits well because of his stature and should be able to have pieces in place once the new coach takes the reins...

i think that's best case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok. i'd like to see jl usher in the new player areas before

May 23, 2014, 7:12 AM

Good points, but it seems pretty obvious that we have been slipping in baseball stature for a while now. Maybe it is time to make the change and let the new coaches usher in the new Tigers, players, facilities, attitudes, etc, and lead us into future success. I'm not a JL hater, though, so I am good even if he stays, but I sure wish we were doing better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Wilhelm felt NO pressure and was not concerned

May 22, 2014, 9:22 AM

about some young coach taking his job, it was that secure. Does the same hold true today?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Wilhelm felt NO pressure and was not concerned

May 22, 2014, 9:53 AM

No, but I don't think JL has accomplished the success as a program that BW achieved, either.

Lol......First off, Coach Wilhelm wouldn't have given a crap

May 22, 2014, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Coach Wilhelm felt NO pressure and was not concerned ]

about job pressure. I'm sure he loved the Clemson area having raised his family there, but he wasn't emotionally attached to the university. Coach W listened to the beat of his own drummer. He was a baseball man, first, last and foremost.

I'm sure he endured a lot of frustration of being a baseball coach at a school that was all about football and little else. And although eventually he had as loyal a fan following as nearly any coach in any sport in Clemson history, he was not one to reach out to fans very much to celebrate their support. Undoubtedly, he missed a much more lucrative career in professional baseball to stay and coach student-athletes. Its Coach W's dedication to the sport that we all recognize and appreciate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol......First off, Coach Wilhelm wouldn't have given a crap

May 22, 2014, 10:39 AM

GREAT POST!! all true!he was special for sure

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i've told this story before, but seems a good time to tell

May 23, 2014, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Lol......First off, Coach Wilhelm wouldn't have given a crap ]

it again.

after coach wilhelm was hired at cu, howard hired my father as wilhelm's first asst & clemson's jv baseball coach.

as howard told my father, "i'm not hiring you to make the baseball team better, i'm hiring you to make my football team better".

as most know, the football coaches doubled as baseball coaches so hiring wilhelm & my father freed up smith & the other football coaches to focus on howard's team year round.

my father passed recently. i'd like to think he & coach wilhelm are tossing back a few coca colas talking about the run this tiger baseball team is making.

photo bfb115e8-b848-4852-9d22-768863bda647_zpsb4430a21.jpg

go tigers!

Great photo and story...

May 23, 2014, 7:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

This is an awesome story, sorry to hear about your father

May 23, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to i've told this story before, but seems a good time to tell ]

mine passed last year as well, so....hope you keep all this written down somewhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

sorry to hear of your fathers passing, may he rest in peace

May 23, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to i've told this story before, but seems a good time to tell ]

a special thanks for the picture and story (I'd like to know which one he is in the photo). I appreaciate Litfoots comment as well. I can teel you both have been around Clemson a while and know more about Clemson and what WE stand for than most folks. I aspire to be more like you two and love to hear the stories of what made Clemson what it is today and that story is just one of MANY! Thanks again

TigerJim as well***

May 23, 2014, 11:08 AM

thanks rtop, i'll probably never be the man my father was,

May 23, 2014, 11:25 AM [ in reply to sorry to hear of your fathers passing, may he rest in peace ]

but i hope my son will grow up to be.

from left to right is my father, harold stowe, coach wilhelm & larry bagwell.

the pick is from omaha.

Thought LeCroy was the heir apparent***

May 23, 2014, 10:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic