Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tigers add QB depth with Stanford transfer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

New Story: Tigers add QB depth with Stanford transfer

Apr 30, 2014, 8:40 PM

Tigers add QB depth with Stanford transfer

The Clemson coaches added depth to the quarterback position Wednesday afternoon with the addition of David Olson, a transfer from Stanford who played his high school ball in South Carolina. What does Olson say about the transfer? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson will red shirt***

Apr 30, 2014, 8:49 PM

Watson will red shirt*** - yep, needs to bulk - bigger and

Apr 30, 2014, 9:18 PM

stronger - Olsen is 6 3, 220! How did he do at Stanford?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only played in one game his entire career.***

Apr 30, 2014, 9:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Doubt it. Watson will be the backup still.***

May 1, 2014, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** - yep, needs to bulk - bigger and ]

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson

Apr 30, 2014, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

next year, so there's nothing to gain in that regard by redshirting him, and I'm betting the coaches want him to get experience this year in preparation. Also, I don't think the Stanford QB is coming in for that reason (so that Watson can redshirt). I think he is being brought in for added depth at a position where it is needed. Remember - he sought us out - we didn't go looking for a QB.

One caveat; if Watson's injury is worse than we have been led to believe, all bets are off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson

Apr 30, 2014, 9:58 PM

Plus this young man has no game experience and its not like Stanford runs an offense like ours.

May 2, 2014, 1:08 AM

Stanford is often 3 deep in qb's who can play in the NFL.
I've got to believe that Dabo and Chad have seen something they like if they immediately offered him a scholarship. This wasn't charity.

Apr 30, 2014, 11:55 PM [ in reply to I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson ]

RS seemed to help some relatively unknown QB's named Manziel and Winston. ;)

May 1, 2014, 12:06 AM

We have a totally different roster situation than TAMU and FSU did, besides Cole Stoudt our most experienced QB has only 9 collegiate snaps

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Gave you the point for id'ing our unique QB situation

May 1, 2014, 12:25 AM

However, Cole has attempted 60 passes already in his career. Not sure how he'd have done that on only 9 snaps.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"BESIDES" Cole . . . our other QB's have 9 collegiate snaps***

May 1, 2014, 7:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: "BESIDES" Cole . . . our other QB's have 9 collegiate snaps***

May 2, 2014, 1:14 AM

We in a heap of trouble, boy.

Re: Gave you the point for id'ing our unique QB situation

May 1, 2014, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Gave you the point for id'ing our unique QB situation ]

I should have worded it different, I meant the most experience QB not named Coled Stoudt only has 9 snaps

Schuessler, I'm reckoning . . .***

May 1, 2014, 7:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

yep***

May 1, 2014, 7:19 AM

Good stuff. That is thin as thin can be !!!***

May 1, 2014, 7:24 AM

Re: Good stuff. That is thin as thin can be !!!***

May 2, 2014, 1:16 AM

As I said, we-----

Mmmmm. A cold stout would go down nice about now.***

May 1, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Gave you the point for id'ing our unique QB situation ]

I'm going to have one (or six) after my final today***

May 1, 2014, 10:57 AM

Re: I'm going to have one (or six) after my final today***

May 2, 2014, 1:18 AM

Join the crowd.

Re: Mmmmm. A cold stout would go down nice about now.***

May 2, 2014, 1:17 AM [ in reply to Mmmmm. A cold stout would go down nice about now.*** ]

As you mention it, that's precisely what I'm doing.

May 2, 2014, 1:13 AM [ in reply to Re: I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson ]

And as much as I like Cole, he can't run, which takes away an important aspect of our offense.

Bet that FSU fans wish Winston had not RS'd

May 2, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson ]

He's not going to be at FSU for his 5th season. As good as he turned out last year, I'm guessing he could have had a pretty effective true freshman year (although he did have the distraction of baseball and, uh, other extracurriculars that Watson won't be dealing with).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2014, 1:05 AM [ in reply to I seriously doubt it. With Kelly gone, it will be all Watson ]

I still think Watson needs to bulk up and get a lot stronger. Right now, he looks exactly like a high school player. And we don't need him to get injured again.

Watson would just be our #3 QB

May 1, 2014, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

Don't think this necessarily means he RS's since we're still thin at the position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson would just be our #3 QB

May 1, 2014, 8:05 AM

So you think this guy will win the battle for backup over Watson?

May 1, 2014, 10:50 AM

I think this guy is brought in to push Watson to remain #2 if he does not he redshirts....

May 2, 2014, 1:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Watson would just be our #3 QB ]

I haven't a clue. He has NFL size, but can he run? He must have a heck of an arm or Dabo would never have brought him on board. He has already graduated from Stanford, so you'd assume he has more than enough intelligence to do his reads. I assume the coaches saw
something they liked. But frankly, this is the first I've heard about it.

Watson will play enough this year to...

May 1, 2014, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

terrorize opponents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope he does but am 50/50 on if it happens, and to those

May 1, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

making out like he MUST get experience as the likely starter in 15, Manzel and Winston say hi. Both were rs Fr starters.

Re: I hope he does but am 50/50 on if it happens, and to those

May 2, 2014, 1:41 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems to be a bit frail at this point---he's already been injured. I think he could really benefit from a year in the weight room. But, what do I know? I do have a source, that obviously I can't name, who says we are riddled with injuries at this point.
I still think we will be a tough, competitive team. And I'm encouraged by the quality of recruits we seem to be attracting now.

Re: Watson will red shirt***

May 2, 2014, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

Wow, talk about luck. An NFL type quarterback literally falls into our lap. Stanford has a tradition of great quarterbacks, and just looking at the photo of this guy tells me he passes the eye test, at the very least. And Deshaun Watson does need to redshirt, add size and strength. This is great news. I have a feeling that
this guy isn't coming here with the intention of sitting on the bench. Hat's off to Dabo.

Actually...***

May 2, 2014, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Watson will red shirt*** ]

I think you might be right. And bringing in Olson maybe
the plan to help make that happen.
2015, the team would be all DeShaun's and they can totally
focus on him.
Neither Cole or Olson is no where near as talented,
but the other 2 maybe closer to being ready to play.

I guess :)

Great news! But how was this kept so quiet?***

Apr 30, 2014, 8:51 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re:That is the way it should be done.***

Apr 30, 2014, 8:56 PM

Good question...next thing you know Alvin Kamara

Apr 30, 2014, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Great news! But how was this kept so quiet?*** ]

will show up for practice....

A guy can dream...

Re: Great news! But how was this kept so quiet?***

May 2, 2014, 1:47 AM [ in reply to Great news! But how was this kept so quiet?*** ]

This person can't publically comment for ethical reasons. Sorry, all I can say. Example: First string tight end may be out for the season. Shattered clavicle.

And with that we RS Watson...

Apr 30, 2014, 9:00 PM

Probably not exactly how Watson would like this to shake out given that he enrolled early, but I think the RS will be good for him...and us.

No chance we RS Watson.

Apr 30, 2014, 10:12 PM

He's pretty much guaranteed to start next season, 2015. If we expect him to be any good, he'll be gone in 4 years anyway.

Gotta get him some experience this year. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if he starts this season after a few games or an injury.

Re: No chance we RS Watson.

Apr 30, 2014, 10:14 PM

Like Johnny Manzeil and Jameis Winston.

Got it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: No chance we RS Watson.

May 2, 2014, 1:51 AM

Even though he's already injured?

Re: And with that we RS Watson...

May 2, 2014, 1:50 AM [ in reply to And with that we RS Watson... ]

I agree. I still think we are going to be a good team, and may surprise a lot of people.

Very cool

Apr 30, 2014, 9:13 PM

Great news

Welcome home

Re: New Story: Tigers add QB depth with Stanford transfer

Apr 30, 2014, 9:18 PM

A redshirt for Watson would probably be ideal. He still has to come in and compete though.

I don't think Watson red shirts....2nd QB and gets experienc***

Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 PM

Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler.

Apr 30, 2014, 9:55 PM

He seems to be getting punted here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler.

Apr 30, 2014, 10:06 PM

Olson has one year of eligibility.

If we want to have the option of redshirting Watson - you HAVE to have another QB.

Even if you don't plan to redshirt Watson - you need a scout team QB.

Think about it.

null

May 2, 2014, 1:58 AM

Good point---and maybe he turns out to be a star. He does pass the eye test, but time and experience will tell.

Not necessarily. I think some of you are reading way too

Apr 30, 2014, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler. ]

much into this. Due to injuries and unforseen circumstances, we only have 3 QBs; we need depth, and a QB from Stanford contacts us about joining the team. If this guy competes for PT and contributes, great; if not, we've got a mature QB who gives us a badly needed body. Watson will play (barring injury) and will be the #2 QB, and Scheussler is developing but has time in the system and looked to be capable of playing in a pinch. I have no idea how good the Stanford transfer is, but I can't imagine he is being brought in with any expectation of getting serious pt as he sure didn't get any at all in 4 years at Stanford.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not necessarily. I think some of you are reading way too

May 2, 2014, 2:05 AM

During which time they had some of the best quarterbacks in the nation and were typically ranked in the top five nationally. I'm just saying, give the kid his shot. If he turns out to be the best, then you have to play him---unless politics rule the day. All I'm saying is play your best eleven.

How can anyone not like this. We need depth.***

Apr 30, 2014, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can anyone not like this. We need depth.***

May 2, 2014, 2:09 AM

I totally agree. I can't believe Dabo would have willy-nilly signed a no-talent just to have another body on the bench.

May 1, 2014, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler. ]

That's what I was thinking as well. I suppose you have to do what's best for a program but something doesn't feel quite right when we do this. It doesn't seem fair to Nick. I would feel totally different if we'd recruited this young man. I wouldn't think he's coming here to be 3rd or 4th string.
Is this just life and I'm being soft?

May 2, 2014, 2:18 AM

Fair has nothing to do with it. Do we owe him playing time?? It's about performing. At this level you do it or you don't. If Schleussler can win a meaningful spot in the quarterback rotation, then more power to him. But fair?? Fair to the team to play a less talented player
with a more capable one sitting on the bench?

May 1, 2014, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler. ]

I think you need at least 3 QBs ready to play.... I remember the Turtles being down to an LB at QB a few years ago.

May 2, 2014, 1:55 AM [ in reply to Tells me a lot about the staff's faith in Nick Scheusler. ]

I don't know anything about a him. Do you think he has the potential to be a factor at Clemson? I don't have a clue.

Smed has resurfaced!***

May 2, 2014, 1:59 AM

Apr 30, 2014, 10:36 PM

We were 2 injuries away from having one qb ... this is why !

With him not knowing the offense.I doubt Watson redshirts .... but with the injury who knows.

Better be safe than sorry. He is a good smart qb coming from Stanford.

This is great.

May 2, 2014, 2:23 AM

And yet some of our "fans" seem to resent it. Go figure that out.

WOW, very cool!***

Apr 30, 2014, 10:44 PM

Princeton changes up so he goes to Stanford... Guy's got

Apr 30, 2014, 11:21 PM

smarts. Great move by the coaches...

Re: Princeton changes up so he goes to Stanford... Guy's got

May 2, 2014, 2:27 AM

I agree. And he's undoubtedly very familiar with the west coast type offense. Great move by Dabo and Chad.

Dang..this is weird, weirder than weird as a girl said to me

May 1, 2014, 12:13 AM

once about us & our relationship..and she was right, about us and about ME!

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bill, yever take em out for crab legs?

May 1, 2014, 12:21 AM

So... she shed some light on LbB?

Or is that a dark spot we don't discuss.

Here's his Rivals profile

May 1, 2014, 12:20 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/missouri/football/recruiting/player-David-Olson-

They say he's similar to Hutson Mason and Blake Bortles, which would seem to bode pretty well.

Potential versus actuality

May 1, 2014, 3:30 PM

Here's what he did in 4 years at Stanford.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167724

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will start immediately

May 1, 2014, 5:26 PM

On the scout team

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Re: Here's his Rivals profile

May 2, 2014, 2:35 AM [ in reply to Here's his Rivals profile ]

I couldn't the link to work, but those comparisons do seem to bode well. I just can't comprehend why any true
Clemson fan would not see this as great news, but they are out there. What are they thinking?? Or maybe they don't think.

His Rivals profile is completely irrelevant now.

May 2, 2014, 2:50 PM

You ask what people are thinking about the situation ... ?

They're thinking that no matter what his evaluations were out of high school, the fact is that he never played at Stanford.

Although it's great to have a player like him willing to come to campus for his final year of eligibility to provide depth at QB, he is not going to factor in any decisions regarding who will actually be the back-up QB this season.

Scheusler actually has accomplished more and has greater actual game experience than Olson.

Recruited by Jim Harbaugh....

May 1, 2014, 8:29 AM

That's all I need to know about him. Welcome to the Clemson family! I hope Cole and you have breakout seasons for us! Go Tigers!

Re: Recruited by Jim Harbaugh....

May 2, 2014, 2:38 AM

Amen!

Watson will be the back up....

May 1, 2014, 8:43 AM

the transfer from Stanford will likely be the scout team
QB and emergency emergency emergency backup....

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I think this a win-win situation

May 1, 2014, 9:21 AM

There's no doubt the new guy will have a pretty big learning curve to adjust to the offense but he has the intelligence and the football IQ to catch up quickly IMO. This gives CU the option to RS Watson if needed and still give Nick a shot. The best thing in all of this could very well be the competition that will be there in camp. No one can be complacent and think they have the job already. Iron sharpens iron. Welcome to Clemson David Olson.

Re: I think this a win-win situation

May 1, 2014, 10:50 AM

my thoughts exactly. if it gives us the opportunity to redshirt Watson & get a year to focus on learning the system and hitting the weightroom, i'm not gonna complain. plus it gives a little extra depth at QB to replace Kelly being gone. guess we'll see how it all plays out.

Re: I think this a win-win situation

May 2, 2014, 2:42 AM [ in reply to I think this a win-win situation ]

Best post of the night. You nailed it.

I agree with Milerock ... Watson plays & competes w/ Stoudt

May 1, 2014, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Watson will be the back up.... ]

Scheusler and Olson compete with each other for 3rd team and provide peace of mind that we have sufficient depth at QB.

Olson at Stanford ... http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167724

Re: Watson will be the back up....

May 2, 2014, 2:40 AM [ in reply to Watson will be the back up.... ]

Well, you know more than I do. Thanks for telling us what's going to happen.

May 1, 2014, 6:02 PM

must not have been too valuable to Stanford. He has a year of eligibility, knowledge of system, etc. and they let him leave?!?! Stick him in a graduate program (MBA?) and continue to use him as backup (an MBA from Stanford would be a bit better than any degree from Clemson...) This sounds strange - though no real downside for Clemson. My expectations are pretty low.

May 2, 2014, 2:45 AM

Well, you should call Dabo and give him your expert opinion. LOL.

May 2, 2014, 4:07 PM

Looks like a great pick up. He was a four star out of HS so he does have some skills though still unproven but who knows. He graduated early from Stanford so he's definitely intelligent. And you don't have to burn Watson's red shirt.

If you end up having to play Watson this year for some reason I hope you can be patient because there will be growing pains against better defenses.

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic