Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Throwback Thursday: 1977 Clemson vs Georgia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

FB Update: Throwback Thursday: 1977 Clemson vs Georgia

Apr 3, 2014, 11:40 AM

Throwback Thursday: 1977 Clemson vs Georgia

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was there as a 9 year old....on the way out of parking lot

Apr 3, 2014, 12:20 PM

a bottle of Jack came crashing down on my Uncle's car's hood. Uncle slams on brakes, Pop turns around and tells me, "stay your ### in the car, son", him and Uncle get out...next thing i know my Uncle has a Georgia fan by the neck, my Pop dotted another ones eye, Athens cops come running over and tell us to get the hell out of there, Uncle and Pop get back in the car madder than hell and we leave. My Uncle played for Frank Howard from '55 to '58 and he said til the day he died, "I hate those Georgia SOB's about like I do the Chickens". I know him and my Pop look down on me proud that I continued the tradition of hoping Georgia loses every game they play and as my Pop would say about Georgia, the Chickens, all SEC teams, and Ohio State, "I hope they lose their scrimmage games....".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as a senior and it rained all day........

Apr 3, 2014, 12:49 PM

as I remember. And, of course, the Georgia fans were in their usual vulgar mood and drunk as hell.

That year was the reawakening of Clemson football - went to the Gator Bowl against Pittsburgh after that season - first bowl game for us since the 50s.

Taps & The Tiger shared a University car down there...

Apr 3, 2014, 1:26 PM

...it was somewhat abused by JawJaw fans.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought one of those orange Stetson looking hats outside

Apr 3, 2014, 3:16 PM

Sanford, to try and stay dry. Rained so much, it drooped down over my ears and bled orange all over the white shirt I was wearing. Couldn't have worked out any better. Especially, since i was sitting about 5 rows up behind uga bench, nothing but dawg fans around. Man, that was fun!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i was a senior in high school, got into the games wearing my

Apr 3, 2014, 3:20 PM

hs jersey

Did Clemson fans recognize this was a new era ...?" YES!

Apr 3, 2014, 6:26 PM

Jim Phillips poses that question at the end of the clip.

I was 27 that damp day over in Athens and I'd seen Clemson teams fail to go to bowl since I was 7 years old ... 20 long years.

But one of the things we'd failed to do over that long two decades was to win a game between the hedges ... when we accomplished that, I knew that things had turned around.

It was the beginning of a new era in Clemson football.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Throwback Thursday: 1977 Clemson vs Georgia

Apr 3, 2014, 10:40 PM

I was ten years old and my sister, who was a freshmen at Clemson, took me and a friend to the game. It rained all game, and we were leaving near the end because it looked like we had it. At that time, there wasn't an upperdeck on their end zone, and fans could stand on the bridge and watch the game for free. We were on the bridge when Georgia ran a trick play and got a long pass (they either scored or it led to a TD). The place was going crazy, and Dooley went for 2. I was so excited when we stopped them, and we got out of there is a hurry.

It was certainly a start of a new era for Clemson

History Will repeat it's self***

Apr 3, 2014, 10:48 PM

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic