Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: The Future of Clemson Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: The Future of Clemson Basketball

Mar 25, 2014, 9:52 AM

The Future of Clemson Basketball

The Future of Clemson Basketball
The athletic administration at Clemson has some difficult questions facing it concerning Clemson basketball.  They are good questions to have but they are still questions.

You can't judge an entire program based upon the results of one game, but Sunday's a

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: The Future of Clemson Basketball

Mar 25, 2014, 10:25 AM

I too was encouraged by the Sunday support for the team. My ideas:

In the new arena:
Move Students to 5 lowest rows opposite the benches (behind the announcers)
Next Student Sections are upper areas behind each backboard
Riggs/Heisman donors can buy floor and behind Clemson bench tickets (not based on IPTAY points, but on $$$ donated each year)
IPTAY points determine remaining ticket sales

Non-Conference (except Big10, USC or large BB school home games)
GA for all seats and use the NIT pricing format: Kids free, Adults $10-$15 (this will get people closer to the court)
This policy expires once sellouts occur

Hey, Mr. forgetful, OP and a rocking LJ was not that long

Mar 25, 2014, 10:47 AM

ago.
Clemson has always supported basketball when we don't suck.

We don't need a new arena, LJ is good. It was redone not that long ago.
Maybe some money on practice facilities and a locker room, or the like would be better spent.

I think OP's formula for success at Clemson made more sense, get the best athletes you can, play a frenetic style, and try to teach them some skills. It's the only way we can compete with UNC or Duke.

Brownell is fine, but his way is more conventional and, IMO, will be more difficult to sustain some success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"its the only way we can compete with UNC or Duke"?

Mar 25, 2014, 11:58 AM

Are you kidding me?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, don't need new arena. We need efficient way of

Mar 25, 2014, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Hey, Mr. forgetful, OP and a rocking LJ was not that long ]

Getting the good tickets that don't get used into the hands of people that will attend the games at an affordable price. Littlejohn rocks when our fans show up. I am not a fan of reducing seating below 10k. That seems shortsighted

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, Mr. forgetful, OP and a rocking LJ was not that long

Mar 25, 2014, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Hey, Mr. forgetful, OP and a rocking LJ was not that long ]

Brownell is the best coach we have had at Clemson since the 70s!
OPs teams started hot but fizzled down the stretch.. Brownell's get better as the season progresses and players get better year over year.
Shyatt never seemed to recruit players that would stay in school... seems like he ever had seniors.
Barnes had on great recruiting year with Buckner but I think his heart was not in it the last couple of years here.
Ellis was a great recruiter but the players never seemed to get better and he seemed to get out coached in every close game.
Tates Locke was a great recruiter... but he cheated...

I think Brownell in the words of Coach K is "building a program at Clemson". I like that and hope we can keep him!

I love Clemson basketball

Mar 25, 2014, 10:49 AM

But I live 3.5 hours from campus and can really only go to Saturday (or early Sunday) games, so I don't buy season tickets.

When I do buy tickets, they are always in the top rows and near the visitors section. I would go more if I could pay more for better seats. I don't really trust scalpers, and it is taking a big risk to drive that far without tickets.

With technology such as it is now, why can there not be a mechanism for season ticket holders to surrender single game tickets they can't use for maybe a 50% credit on their donor account? There could be a secure email address where they could scan and send these tickets. Then the ticket office could resell them at face value to individual game ticket buyers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would think with all the great minds at Clemson,

Mar 25, 2014, 11:58 AM

someone could come up with a plan to resell unused tickets.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding ticket prices.....

Mar 25, 2014, 11:07 AM

for the past couple of years, the ticket office has run a "black Friday" special for a couple of days after Thanksgiving where they sold tickets to every game except for Duke or UNC for $5. Now these weren't the best seats in the house, but it seems that more publicity for a deal like that would help fill Littlejohn. There were a few other non-conference games that they announced deals on during Christmas break...as those are hard games to fill when the students are out.
Lower ticket prices seem to help, but is that sustainable? Does a full house of lower priced tickets generate more revenue than a partially filled house of higher priced tickets?
It seems that weekend games seem to get the best crowds, maybe the weeknight games could be priced differently?
Lots of questions...but if this team continues to win, I'm pretty sure the attendance will reflect that.

Mar 25, 2014, 12:09 PM

How about only sell season tickets for half the gym - behind the team and at one end of the court. Allow the season ticket holders to turn in any unused ticket to be resold and possibly have them lose IPTAY points if they miss a few games without turning tickets back in.

Use the other end behind the basket for the band and students. Reserve the first few rows behind the announcers for the students. Make everything else general admission.

another idea

Mar 25, 2014, 12:15 PM

Maybe basketball priority points could be based on the number/percentage of games attended as a season ticket holder

Re: another idea

Mar 25, 2014, 12:21 PM

and adjust seats after a third and two thirds of the home games

Mar 25, 2014, 5:27 PM

One thing that I think will help the program is going back to a home and home against USC every year... I think it stopped being home and home when Fogler was coach at USC and it should be reinstated. It will fill Little John early int he season when there are few games that people really want to see.
I think it would be great to have a home and home against UGa as well. These would be packed houses for all 3 programs!

Here to gobble down my crow

Mar 25, 2014, 5:55 PM

I was critical of the Clemson faithful when it came to supporting our basketball program this year, and even made a thread questioning whether us fans deserve the players' best efforts. You guys made me look foolish on Sunday. I couldn't be happier. Brownell and the team are giving us their all every night on the court and I'm so glad that's being appreciated by the Tiger faithful. Let's bruise the bruins! Go tigers.

To those who say we don't need a new arena:

Mar 25, 2014, 6:08 PM

How can you honestly say that? Littlejohn's last renovation was over 10 years ago, and it was a band-aid approach at the time. The facility is way outdated now, from a fan perspective as well as a player perspective. If that isn't obvious to you, then I question how objective you are truly being. Perhaps some of you don't want to risk taking away from our football budget, but if we want to be successful in basketball on a consistent basis, we must upgrade our basketball facilities. This is even more important since we are battling the "football school" reputation.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: To those who say we don't need a new arena:

Mar 25, 2014, 6:16 PM

this "band-aid" cost $31 mil$$$.. what would what U might call a "real fix" cost??and in all honesty our $$$ are limited!!my approach is to not reduce seating!!this year has proved that Clemson fans will support a winner!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mick, IMHO Fla Gators are the best hoops model for CU

Mar 25, 2014, 10:35 PM

They have found b-ball love in a football state. Of course, Donovan is special.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic