Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Who will be the next face of the franchise?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Who will be the next face of the franchise?

Dec 28, 2013, 2:42 AM

Who will be the next face of the franchise?

As soon as the final seconds tick off the Orange Bowl clock next Friday night, the starting quarterback position at Clemson will be up for grabs. What do Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney and outgoing quarterback Tajh Boyd say about the battle? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad Kelly is much more the type the media would slobber

Dec 28, 2013, 10:12 AM

over. And if he starts and has a good year, the media will get a ton of mileage writing about how blessed the program is with Kelly AND Watson, what Clemson might do in the following seasons, etc.

Kelly would also get the inevitable comparison to Manziel for his ability to run - but not being "as good" to most yakkers and writers - and because of his on camera swagger.

Dabo is smart

Dec 28, 2013, 10:39 AM

If it is a close competition, Kelly and Stoudt will both play significant minutes. They have a different enough skill set to make it extremely hard for defensive coordinators to game plan against both players. Cole and sit back and pick you apart from the pocket and Kelly can get outside and kill you with his legs. If we are going to use a running quarterback we are going to need 2 good QB's. We have been lucky that Boyd is so durable, but Kelly and Watson both have had knee issues and are more dynamic runners than Boyd.

I don't think Cole is any better a runner then tajh

Dec 28, 2013, 11:54 AM

However I do think that between the two of them Cole is a smarter runner then Kelly. Like Tajh, Cole will wait a moment and survey the best time to burst forward and get his yards. Kelly, so far, uses his speed to take off immediately, which can be fine in some cases but I think he has to learn to be a more patient runner in cfb.

The difference in waiting is just age and experience I think

Dec 28, 2013, 12:41 PM

Cole cannot begin to match Boyd's toughness for running into defenders. Especially the way Tajh pushed his way across the goal line more than just a few times. Stoudt looks like he would snap like a twig at times.

Kelly seems coachable, but only time will tell. He definitely has some of the Tajh style "guts". He just needs to be taught how to use his brain more. Morris seems up to the task. We will find out how receptive Kelly is in the following months.

Re: I don't think Cole is any better a runner then tajh

Dec 28, 2013, 3:54 PM [ in reply to I don't think Cole is any better a runner then tajh ]

I agree! However, if you check the roster, Tajh wasn't just the QB for this system, his size was the proto-"back" for this system as well; which is why he was used so much on third and short and most times more successful than even Ellington was when he dawn 23 in the backfield.

I think the most important thing is Cole Stoudt will be use as the running QB a lot less given what will be behind him come spring and next fall. Also, just the fact you add depth at W.R. and if Martavis Bryant decides he needs more development as a receiver, this system will actually run the way it was intended to run.

This isn't a knock on Kelly. I do feel, however, that Stoudt is a much more patient QB in the system.

Maybe so, but I expect Stoudt to start, and even though the

Dec 28, 2013, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Chad Kelly is much more the type the media would slobber ]

competition will be wide open next spring and fall, I think the coaches expect the same at this point. If Kelly or Watson can come in and take it from a much more experienced guy who has been spectacular when given a chance and who appears to have the favor of the coaches, then more power to them, and so much the better for us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I won't be surprised if Stoudt starts in the UGA game. But

Dec 28, 2013, 12:43 PM

I also won't be surprised to see Kelly with a number of snaps or even as a replacement should Stoudt not be getting the job done at some point in that game. There is little to lose in not committing to Stoudt as a full time starter if he isn't doing the job. You suffer through "learning" and "development" with guys you need for 3 years or so.

The guy who gives us the best chance to win that week will

Dec 28, 2013, 1:34 PM

play (every week). I agree that "guy" could be two guys, and would not be one bit surprised to see Kelly get some PT for a change of pace. However, I don't think we suffer through learning and development just for the sake of getting somebody ready for the future.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ummm, so we suffered through Boyd's struggles for some

Dec 28, 2013, 1:43 PM

other reason than helping him develop and perfect his game "for the future"? Not sure what you are thinking. Do you expect Morris will simply start swapping out QBs from now on whenver one struggles? I only see that happening with Stoudt and ONLY because there is less to gain by letting him struggle with respect to how much play time he has left.

Given how Dabo commits to players and how Morris has operated so far, I think there is still a good chance that they pick a starter next year and try and stick with him. But if it is Stoudt, I think the "stick-to-it" conviction will be less than if Kelly. With Kelly you have a potentially great starter or back-up for the next 2 or 3 years. You don't give up on Kelly just because you expect Watson to be better, unless you are willing to take the risk that Watson will be forever healthy and a true flawless star.

I'm not sure what you are thinking. We suffered through

Dec 28, 2013, 2:12 PM

Boyd's struggles for one reason: Coaches thought that in spite of his struggles, he still gave us the best chance to win. When he had a bad series, of course they didn't yank him out and put Stoudt in, because they trusted that he would get it together and be better the next series. If he had a bad game, of course they didn't bench him for Stoudt the next game, he started the next game because they felt he still gave them the best chance to win, because when he was on, he was a great QB. That was their judgement.

If you are suggesting that coaches thought that Stoudt may have given us a better chance to win when Tajh struggled, but left Tajh in and risked losing in order to help him develop his game for the future, then that is preposterous; it's laughable.

So no, I don't think Morris will simply start swapping out QBs whenever one struggles. If you thought that was what I was saying then you badly misunderstood.

The QB or combination of QBs who coaches feel will give us the best chance of winning that game will play until they feel the game is in hand. Then and only then does the next guy gets to "develop his game for the future".

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Chad Kelly is much more the type the media would slobber

Dec 28, 2013, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Chad Kelly is much more the type the media would slobber ]

the big problem I see with Kelly is he wants to run first, pass second. He takes one look and takes off. That will not win us many games. He has to learn to play the position in the passing game.

Not sure where you get that from but many of Chad's runs

Dec 28, 2013, 2:09 PM

were called runs. He has 16 carries in his first and only season, for 117 yards. That's over 7 yards per carry.

Did I mention it was his first year?

I don't know if he'll start out of the gate or not, but Chad is the best QB we currently have for our system.

If there was ever a media topic for a fb board this is IT

Dec 28, 2013, 10:38 AM

Why does an entire football program consisting of 125+ individuals coorporating in a TEAM environment have to be condensed into ONE FACE to represent the whole program?

Like I said, it's a media thing. Seems to me, it's just designed to ADD CLICKS. Personally, the whole concept reeks of immaturity to me.

Come on guys, you can do better than this.

Quarterback is the most important position in sports***

Dec 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

Of course it's a media thing. What isn't? Everything about

Dec 28, 2013, 10:41 AM [ in reply to If there was ever a media topic for a fb board this is IT ]

fame and popularity is media driven. Sports is no exception whether college or pro or even high school for that matter. Remember how big a deal Bo Jackson became because of his media stardom? Ads. Interviews. Story after story after story about his life, etc.

Actually Dabo started this crap.

Dec 28, 2013, 2:50 PM

Needs to think more strategically. But then again when you talk as munch as he does lots of stuff gets tossed around.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will be debated over worse than obamacare

Dec 28, 2013, 10:50 AM

But I do understand why the backup QB is always the most popular player on any team. I don't understand why it's a burning issue prior to a bowl game. Can we finish the season first? No? Guess not. While we're at it, who is going to be the starting RB? (Oh lawd, I'm opening up a can of worms)

Re: Front Page Story: Who will be the next face of the franchise?

Dec 28, 2013, 11:35 AM

according to d. Watson, dabo told him he was going to be the face of the program. i'm sure that did not sit well with some players but it is what it is! going to be a very interesting spring and fall practice this year.

Dec 28, 2013, 12:17 PM

For the most part leaders that are strong enough to become the brand of a team emerge more than they are self promoted. Leadership on and off the field, great on the field performances and strong character lead one to becoming the face of the franchise. Someone will emerge and will do so more for who they are and what they do than what they say.

Dec 28, 2013, 11:51 AM

Why, Dabo of course!

Jesus***

Dec 28, 2013, 12:18 PM

Re: Jesus***

Dec 28, 2013, 12:39 PM

No, he plays for the San Diego Chargers now. LOL

If all 3 are equal, Cole starts

Dec 28, 2013, 1:46 PM

If one is nominally better than the other two, he will start. This will happen regardless.

That being said, unless Watson comes in and somehow just completely blows away the competition, he will redshirt.

I sure hope...

Dec 28, 2013, 3:49 PM

that's "NOT" their mind set. (coaches)

Just knowing how to do something, doesn't mean you can
execute it.

But if all 3 can DO that thing equally well...

Dec 28, 2013, 9:20 PM

...give it to the one with the most knowledge. Otherwise, give it to whoever's best. What's wrong with that mindset.

Re: If all 3 are equal, Cole starts

Dec 28, 2013, 7:47 PM [ in reply to If all 3 are equal, Cole starts ]

Play all three of them in each quarter, that should solve it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will be much hand wringing over this

Dec 28, 2013, 5:58 PM

but we won't really know until a few games in, maybe more. Talk and pontification are cheap indeed. All practice performance aside, real games and real situations will be the final litmi for our starting QB's.

Dec 28, 2013, 6:17 PM

All I know is that the worst mentality to have is wait your turn. Lets not forget that Cole Stoudt was a decent recruit, just a three star. If there is more talent in Kelly who was a four star he needs to be on the field. Most of the Clemson nation is tired of talking a good game in front of cameras and is ready to win when it counts, so keep that face of Clemson stuff for the coaches. No matter what, the best QB needs to play. If it is a tie, then Kelly needs to play. Also if Kelly is already "tied" with Cole then why is this even a conversation. Giving Cole more time does not help us.

Dec 28, 2013, 6:34 PM

No brainer in my opinion. Cole Stoudt is on a different level!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic