Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken

Dec 19, 2013, 11:34 AM

It's Broken

It's Broken
We spent an hour this morning on my radio show discussing bowl attendance and the huge issue that most bowls are facing.

At first glance I tried to analyze Clemson's bowl attendance issue in recent bowl games. Three years ago the Tigers went to the Orange Bowl for the first

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it

Dec 19, 2013, 11:54 AM

One source says tickets are flying out off the ticket office, another says they are lacking. Can anyone make up any info they want and seem credible?

Re: I don't get it

Dec 19, 2013, 11:59 AM

but they are also encouraging people to contribute tickets for the military in the area. so that make me wonder how well we are doing. I suspect other schools have similar problems with sales too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Orange Bowl is happy...

Dec 19, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to I don't get it ]

...because their general admission tickets are close to sold-out. Clemson is struggling big time, though, I believe. The ticket office has to sell 17,500 tickets, and from what I understand, they've only sold about 4,000 or so. Clemson (or the ACC?) is on the hook for the allotment that goes unsold.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

34 Bowls

Dec 19, 2013, 12:02 PM

There are a total of 34 bowls if my research is even close. 22 of these have come around since 1980. That means there used to be only 12 bowls prior to 1980. Every bowl is advertised with a sponsor and has some type of TV contract. It's not surprising that with the availability to cable/satellite TV, high transportation costs, crappy bowls, an uncertain economy (for the working class), and occasional apathy because of a loss to a rival that bowl attendance is down. It used to be "special" to go to a bowl. Heck, before 1980, only the top 24 teams in the nation could go. Now, all you have to do to go to a bowl is not completely suck. Even many teams that do suck get to go because they play regular season games against others that suck more than they do.

I can't wait for the playoffs. If Clemson isn't in the playoffs, I will gladly watch them on my Ultra Huge HD TV in my living room. Food costs are lower, no travel, no worries about drinking and driving, no need for a baby sitter in a distant city, etc. It only makes sense.

I don't feel bad at all about Clemson fan attendance being down at a bowl game. As you stated this morning, it is not just Clemson. The bowls have lost their luster and must either change or deal with low attendance. I don't put this on the fans. I put it on the Bowls.

Re: 34 Bowls

Dec 20, 2013, 9:06 PM

Was going to contribute some thoughts but you summed it up pretty well. Nicely done.

Something Ive said for a while

Dec 19, 2013, 12:04 PM

Is with so many games, we should have multiple games at the same venue… Similar to basketball. Then you could see a few games with one trip.

JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

99% of the problem is that the games are made for TV now.

Dec 19, 2013, 12:08 PM

How many games are actually on NY Day now?

10 years ago over half the games were ON New Years Day. Now there are games scheduled starting this Saturday running about every day for 3 weeks. It's impossible to think folks can schedule to go to these.

The real kicker is the fact the Bowls are whining - when the TV money has MORE than made up for it. The bowls aren't about tourism anymore, that's not a complaint - it is what it is.

The Bowl wants a big payday from ESPN to put the game on Monday night instead of NY Day....but then they complain when tix aren't sold?

Give it a rest.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It's all a big money grab and fans aren't buying into it...

Dec 19, 2013, 12:19 PM

anymore. Going to a bowl doesn't mean what it used to, pure and simple.

Re: It's all a big money grab and fans aren't buying into it...

Dec 19, 2013, 3:43 PM

AMEN

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken....We're broke

Dec 19, 2013, 12:54 PM

Mickey...the real reason that the sales are lagging is most American's are broke ! Many have lost jobs,houses etc . We have a record amount of American's on Food Stamps and the number of American's actually working is at a 40 year low .

Many who would have readily but the trip on a credit card refuse to do it...I'm one of those folks. My wife has been out of work and quite frankly I can't afford $1,500.00 to go to a bowl game at this time.

The Solution

Dec 19, 2013, 12:58 PM

Is simple. A 16 team playoff system. The 10 conference division champs plus 6 at large bids. Those 16 teams play in home/bowl type setup. Then the current 34 bowls become the first game of year. A bum like me would have 8 months instead of 3 weeks to prepare for a vacation to the bowl destination as well as end the strength of schedule argument. Too bad I'm not smart enough to make those decisions. My theory solves all, in theory. Happy holidays!

I'm going to OB Only b/c near SouthBeach, cool drinks & hot

Dec 19, 2013, 1:06 PM

women...even though my GF knows I will be "piering" out from my sunglasses anyway.

GoTiGRS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SO, what time is kickoff for the "Perv Bowl?"

Dec 19, 2013, 2:22 PM

U No I ? U!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't TigerNet run an article last week that only 1,000 tx

Dec 19, 2013, 1:53 PM

Didn't TigerNet run an article last week that only 1,000 tx were left? What gives?

Clearly there's only one solution.

Dec 19, 2013, 2:24 PM

End Christmas spending. Put out a contract on Santa Clause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You tell'em coot***

Dec 19, 2013, 2:37 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I AM PROTESTING LOSING TO THE CHICKENS!

Dec 19, 2013, 2:54 PM

there, I feel better.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken

Dec 19, 2013, 3:04 PM

I plan on going and have bought tickets through Clemson, against my better judgement. The ticket cost will be the smallest cost of the trip. Mickey referred to the fans as spoiled because we did not beat Scar. How can fans be spoiled who expect to win this game at least once in the last five years? You want to see Clemson fans excited about going to a bowl game, then you simply have to beat them. Dabo and his staff should pick up the extra tickets every year, until the beat Scar.

Lol I like it sanwt. When we beat the coots ill happily

Dec 21, 2013, 4:44 AM

Invest in bowl tickets for my entire family - which is not bad since I have four kids.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not complicated - 16 teams, 15 games, $$$$, spectacle; done

Dec 19, 2013, 3:47 PM

Hey, Div 1-AA (oops, 'FCS') does it. Drop the conference championships. College football thrived for many years without conference championship games.

The FCS gets it. FBS doesn't. PERIOD!!!***

Dec 19, 2013, 5:06 PM

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Heres my fix to the bowl problem.

Dec 19, 2013, 5:36 PM

1. Lower prices. If you are only getting 50,000 people to go....lower prices, make the same money in tickets, but get more in concessions cause there are more people.

2. Eliminate tie-ins. Bowls submit payout at the end of season for the following year. The bowls are put in order according to payout. Then after the championship games, when the final poll comes out... all teams are paired by ranking. Just like 1-4 will go to Playoff, 5 & 6 will play each other and so on down the line. The highest bidding bowl not included in the final 4 playoff will have first pick. They can op for another pairing but they can't pick the matches. They may like 9-10 better for their bowl, that would leave 5 vs. 6 for another bowl to pick. Teams will not be matched against a team they have already played in the season, but teams from the same conference can be matched as long as they didn't play already that year. For example...AL and SC could play in a bowl but not AL and LSU. For conferences that all teams play all teams this would not be possible, for example...Baylor could not be matched to play OK St.even if these teams were ranked #5 & #6. #5 Baylor would play the next team they had not played that year. For example if SC was #7 and Ohio St was #8, Baylor would play SC and OK St would play Ohio ST. This would create more fan appeal. Playing a team ranked next to you is good for fans (look at the match ups now with the tie ins blah!) This also gets teams away from playing in the same bowls games and against the same teams.

3. Arrange more (non profit) Bus trips to help those who cant do motels. Make motels accept one night stays instead of two night minimums. A bus trip is not deal if it is too expensive too because someone is trying to make $.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can I keep my insurance if I like it?***

Dec 20, 2013, 10:30 AM

Of course, that's not a problem!!!***

Dec 21, 2013, 1:16 AM

If it wasn't for my shxx job I'd be there, GO TIGERS!***

Dec 19, 2013, 8:20 PM

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken***

Dec 19, 2013, 8:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: It's Broken

Dec 20, 2013, 10:23 AM

Put all the bowls between Christmas and New Years or the Sat before the NC game. Dates and Times of bowl games are moves all around for TV money.... not for fans.
You want fans in seats organize it for fans. If you are doing it for TV and do not care about fans but want fans then lowere the prices for tickets.
Buying tickets from Clemson is a crap shoot... last tickets I bought for the Belk bowl were corner of endzone.... With bunches of empty seats on the 20 or 30 yard line..... Clemson needs to tell its fans where the seats are they are buying.

Making it to a bowl game has changed so much during my

Dec 20, 2013, 10:47 AM

lifetime...I can remember as a kid making the Gator Bowl was a REALLY big deal. You really can't explain the big deal it was to today's fan. Even making it to the Citrus Bowl in the late 1980's was a really big deal against OK and Penn St. The life was sucked out of the bowl games with the BCS. The BCS hurt the bowl games more than anything else. It relegated them to merely an exhibition whereas before they may have an impact on the national title.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember sitting in the cold rain at the Peach Bowl vs Bay

Dec 21, 2013, 4:50 AM

Lor in '79 was it? Just going to a bowl was huge then! No way we were going to miss that trip

Playoffs!

Dec 20, 2013, 11:35 AM

Heck...we potentially might have met the coots again in one of the playoff rounds. How exciting would that have been?!! The "old" bowl system is on life supports for lots of reasons. Also, in our case, we just lost to our rivals...again...so the fan base is a little less inclined to travel and spend. The Chick-filet bowl usually solves most of our fan's issues...except for the part about being frustrated over the coot loss. It's close to home, indoors and we play an opponent that gives a decent matchup...Tennessee, LSU and Auburn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Full Scale PLAYOFF!!!! Scrap the Bowls

Dec 20, 2013, 3:15 PM

s

That's good news if you ask me

Dec 20, 2013, 8:29 PM

Only way to quell the growth of more and more bowls if for them to not be profitable. Hopefully this is a deterrent for making even more bowls.

If you want to fill seats

Dec 20, 2013, 10:38 PM

Play the "bowl" game in the stadium of one of the 2 teams. I'm sure if we had OSU coming to death valley, we would fill er up easily. I'm sure OSU would do the same in their stadium. I know that cuts the pie for the hotels, airlines and whomever, but it would be a nice reward for a fan base chomping at the bit to get a decent non-conference match up in their home stadium. Why we now play in Miami and Tempe and wherever is beyond me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think many factors come into play.

Dec 21, 2013, 12:52 AM

The OB vs W Va was played on a Weds, and I think that no doubt affected a lot of fans decisions. Thats a lotta vacation days you had to burn in the years first week. I went and drove from the Pee Dee, here in SC. Flying wasn't an option cuz I remember that the rates were outrageous. It was much cheaper to drive. This season, I think the way it ended up playing out is having a huge impact. Not that we lost, but how we lost those two games. I'm going this season, against my better judgement however. I just keep thinking " If they have another performance like they did vs FSU/SC, I'll never forgive myself." Us fans who went in 2011 have vivid memories of that disaster. I drive ten hours the day of the game, just to see what looked like a team that gave up before halftime! That is the number one reason why I haven't bought tix before today. Fear. Fear that the $1000+ I'm fixing to spend will be spent on another terrible performance. I love this program to much to risk being that upset with it if they were to have another similar loss, but I decided to take a chance. The last two games that this staff has had 3-4 weeks to prepare for an opponent have worked out pretty well. That, and the fact it's gonna be just me and my 11 year old daughter, is what finally pushed me to purchase fix this afternoon. I decided to try and have a little faith!

Lilna you inspired me to step up and buy five tix myself!

Dec 21, 2013, 4:55 AM

Good post!

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic