Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world

Dec 11, 2013, 4:20 PM

Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world

Former Clemson head coach Danny Ford met with the media Wednesday afternoon, and he talked about the 1978 Gator Bowl, the punch that ended the career of Wood Hayes, and what it was like coaching his first game as a head coach. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world

Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM

Does today's game have a specific penalty for a coach hitting a player? Is it just a personal foul?

GREAT story! GREAT article! Kudos!***

Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world

Dec 11, 2013, 5:23 PM

I was 15 years old. I had no idea who Danny Ford was or very little history of Clemson football. To make a long story short, that was the night I became a Clemson fan.

Dec 11, 2013, 6:29 PM

I was 14 and already a Clemson fan. I became a Ohio State hater from that point on. I disliked them worse than USuC until the Ole Balz Sac got there now they have taken OSU's spot as the team I dislike the most.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love you Danny but you're wrong.

Dec 11, 2013, 5:33 PM

Every Tiger hopes that Wisconsin beats the crap out of South Carolina. I wouldn't care if the team was the Iranian Badgers much less a team from the North.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just Danny being Danny..

Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM

Plus, back in his day, we didn't really care about SCAR until game week. We cared about Georgia/Florida State and Maryland. We probably should have cared more about NC State.

Also, SCAR had never won a bowl game in their history until after he left.

Re: I love you Danny but you're wrong.

Dec 11, 2013, 8:08 PM [ in reply to I love you Danny but you're wrong. ]

Ironic, isn't it, that a great Tiger coach like Ford, who really did dominate the Gamecocks (7-3-1), understands that hatred of an opponent is so childish, emotionally crippling, and immature? Good for Danny, he gets it!

Woody hit the wrong guy

Dec 11, 2013, 6:20 PM

What an awful pass. He should have gone after his quarterback.

LOL..good'un!!***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woody hit the wrong guy

Dec 11, 2013, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Woody hit the wrong guy ]

Schlichter probably had money riding on the game.

To me it didn't look like a punch,

Dec 11, 2013, 6:43 PM

It looked like a chitto chop our whatever Austin powers calls it lol.

Or****

Dec 11, 2013, 6:43 PM

I make no apologies

Dec 11, 2013, 6:51 PM

Danny rocks.

I was at that game. Many many many fond memories to follow, but that was certainly epic. I was a sophomore at the time.

I met Danny in '81 while he was standing on the curb waiting for a ride outside jervey. I said "hi" and he said "hi"; just a couple of Joes.

Dec 11, 2013, 6:56 PM

I actually was at that game pulling for Clemson. I was in high school then and liked both Carolina and Clemson.

Like Danny I did not know what started the fight until getting back to the hotel and watching it on TV.

Dec 11, 2013, 7:15 PM

"If you don't do anything stupid, you are going to win the ballgame." That is what is great about Danny Ford. Even as a young head coach in his first game, he could take timely advice and just win the game.

Dec 11, 2013, 7:24 PM

I was 11 and had been a Clemson fan since I was born. This was the first bowl game I had been to. I sat with my dad and we sat in front of some very nice Ohio State fans who gave me a buckeye nut that I still have to this day. I remember the interception and the commotion when Bauman was run out of bounds but didn't learn of the punch till later the next day. When the game was over the fans that gave me the buckeye said (jokingly) that they gave me all their luck when they gave it to me. I remember the saying back then "To he!! with Pell, Fords got a better idea!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you get the feeling that Danny thinks our team is soft?***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you get the feeling that Danny thinks our team is soft?***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:09 PM

lmfao. this soft stuff is nothing more than something for the mot to throw around. if the team did not dispel your soft theory in the lsu game, then you are the one that is soft, in the brain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes!***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Do you get the feeling that Danny thinks our team is soft?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you get the feeling that Danny thinks our team is soft?***

Dec 13, 2013, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Do you get the feeling that Danny thinks our team is soft?*** ]

we are 'soft' compared to the teams from the 80's but not because of the school or coaching. The NCAA has place numerous restrictions of teams - when practices can start, number of practices, how much contact, etc.

Question From 36920?***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:29 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Danny Ford talks 1978 Gator Bowl and the punch heard 'round the world ***

Dec 11, 2013, 9:39 PM

Deer Danny,

Dec 11, 2013, 9:42 PM

Badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers....

Dec 11, 2013, 11:32 PM

What Danny didn't mention this time is that Baumann was not supposed to be there. He was supposed to charge the QB which he did. Unfortunately, two OL who were not presently occupied double-teamed him & drove him back about 5 yards. Instead of trying again, he decided to drop back into coverage. Thus, the QB wasn't expecting him & threw it right to him. Coach Ford was asked about it some years ago & he laughed & said "He (Baumann) got his clock cleaned". Later I saw the video & that is exactly what happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2013, 1:09 AM

Meet Danny
Garden City SC
Sam 's Conner
Danny with wife and children same I was doing Question Are you Danny Ford ?
Sometimes in life you just want to be a person! A father of your children which we had in common that Day. Hope Dabo knows and feels Un To These Hills!

Danny Ford, a great man and a

Dec 14, 2013, 8:50 AM

true southern gentleman. It tickled me to hear his feelings on losing to northern teams. It reminds me of my dad, full of regional pride. Great video of a great man. I used to laugh when Coach Ford would spit along the sideline. The leading edge of the spittle was hitting the ground as the tail was leaving his lips. This man truly loves Clemson, "still crazy after all these years" (Paul Simon).

Heard around the world! Yep...

Dec 14, 2013, 12:40 PM

Armed Forces Network aired the game and I heard the punch in the wee hours of the morning in a tiny village in (West) Germany.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fantastic & Unheard of stories by Danny. What a Coach!!

Dec 14, 2013, 12:54 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic