Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded

Oct 6, 2013, 12:54 PM

Venables proud of way defense responded

Clemson’s defense came up huge in the second half of the Tigers’ 49-14 win over Syracuse with three third quarter sacks and an interception. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded

Oct 6, 2013, 12:58 PM

generally our D is very good but then we'll have these sections where we give up big plays or become very passive.

I sure hope he can get that fixed before it bites us in a close game

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They responded well.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:01 PM

But I have a hard time getting over the fact they gave up over 300 yards rushing.

Hopefully they will fix it this week, that running back for BC looks like the real deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They responded well.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:05 PM

well, they only passed for 77 yards. I'd be more worried if it was balanced or they were ripping us on the ground for 5-7 and playing ball control. Physically, we destroyed them.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded ]

Honestly, I think it is personnel grouping. I've noticed on several of our big play breakdowns that a lot of backups are in the game, especially at LB. I think these are also great teaching moments for Venables.

I thought we looked a little flat in the 3rd Q on defense. Don't think you would see that in a big game.

Good point. We seem to slack off on both subs and

Oct 6, 2013, 1:43 PM

calls at times. Letting NCSU have so many fourth down conversion in that prevent defense made it seem like we weren't really trying to stop the score, just make them run more plays and eat clock.

Oct 6, 2013, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded ]

Yep, that is the way I see it also. This D can lock it down if they have to. Every time cuse got away with one, our D made them pay for it the next few series.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our defense may be better than our offense...

Oct 6, 2013, 3:55 PM

If you look at FBS standings, you could make this case. I've got no problem with the defense pulling out close games rather than offense. Just keep on winning Tigers!

Oct 6, 2013, 4:08 PM

I'll take giving up the big yards over the big points any day. Bend but don't break! We're not giving up the bombs in the passing game like last year tho!

With some teams giving up yards translates to points

Oct 6, 2013, 5:14 PM

It's one thing to give up yards and big plays to Syracuse or NCSU. It's another to give them up to Oregon or Bama. Thinking of UGA, giving up big yards to a play maker like Gurley is almost a guarantee of points.

Oct 6, 2013, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables proud of way defense responded ]

Bend don't break is a killer for our team! V admitted that long drive that NCSt had was his mistake! V wants 3 and outs and limits 3rd down conversions... he wants the opposing O off the field ... that is his job!
A few long runs upped their rushing yardage... 66 yds, 56yds, 28 yrds 150 yds on 3 runs.... total was 48 rushes for 323, other than the 3 long runs 2 of which scored... 45 for 173 or a 3.8 yd average... of course some of those were negative plays like sacks. 77 plays are a lot of plays for a D to hold a team to only 397 yds.....
Amazing stat... we also had 77 plays of O, 45 rushed for 158 yds/

Oct 6, 2013, 6:01 PM

there was defensive improvement in the secondary; there needed to be. they also need to be complimented for the timing of their play(third quarter) when the cuse was grooving.it's one thing to play good d when the opponent is not playing hard, but it is another to play good defense when the opponent has their grove on.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic