Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Brent Venables keeps game plan a secret, previews Syracuse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Brent Venables keeps game plan a secret, previews Syracuse

Oct 1, 2013, 6:55 PM

Brent Venables keeps game plan a secret, previews Syracuse

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables wasn't about to reveal his game plan for this weekend's game against Syracuse, but he did talk about the Syracuse offense, talked about his corners and gave an update on defensive tackle Carlos Watkins. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Brent Venables keeps game plan a secret, previews Syracuse

Oct 1, 2013, 7:57 PM

I like the way BV coaches football. I see his players trusting him and him teaching, coaching, them to know their assignments and have the instincts and trust in their abilities and knowledge to cut loose and get it done. The biggest thing is his ability to make the adjustments that have been missing for a long time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cha-ching!

Oct 1, 2013, 8:58 PM

I liked this guy from day one. It seems like it took a while to get the guys to buy into his defense...or maybe it was taking time to "get it"...I don't know. But whatever it was, it's not there now. They seem to be gelling as a defense and I think they are only going to get better. I agree with you about adjustments...it's nice to see the improvement. I haven't been this confident about our defense in a long time. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: cha-ching!

Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 PM

I think the problem was an overall lack of experience... I think the front seven last year had 2 seniors... 3 in the 2 deep. 2 juniors in the 2 deep...
This year we have 2 seniors in the front seven and no more in the 2 deep...
But we have 7 juniors and that is the big difference... 2nd year in Venebles scheme of course adds to the experience.....
I expect us to be a top 10 D next year if we continue to progress and we do not lose more than 2 juniors off the D to the NFL.

Oct 2, 2013, 8:36 AM

Good points, and I don't disagree. I think with the experience comes trust in the coach, in the players and in the system along with just natural maturity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2013, 8:34 AM [ in reply to cha-ching! ]

I concur. I think it takes a little time to evaluate, really evaluate, personnel, put everybody where they fit in the scheme and to get them to get in that comfort zone that says this really will work if we do our jobs. It's a 2 way street. BV had to teach and gain trust, and the players had to do the same. Remember, when he got there he was using Koening's and Steel's players. They were recruited for different schemes. I think BV has had the intelligence to teach his system and gain that buy-in, but most importantly to fix problems and make necessary adjustments on the fly.

An excellent coordinator. Dabo has done a great job

Oct 1, 2013, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Brent Venables keeps game plan a secret, previews Syracuse ]

in assembling this staff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed he mentioned Breeland's nice sack, made me wonder

Oct 2, 2013, 11:02 AM

any mention of Peters lately? He's not out is he?

The comparison between the way our players/coaches publicly

Oct 2, 2013, 12:15 PM

...address our various upcoming opponents with the garbage we're hearing out of these Syracuse clowns this week highlights what is easily one of of my favorite aspects of the Swinney regime. 100% professionalism, 100% graciousness/praise for the opposing team, 100% of the time. In related news, without playing an in-conference snap against them, 'Cuse is quickly rocketing up my 'most-loathed' chart, based solely upon the misplaced arrogance/ignorance of their coaches/players/fans.

This one won't be close.

Naw: you can pity them, not hate them...

Oct 2, 2013, 12:23 PM

Either they don't know what's coming and these comments are pure naivete....

Or the DO know what's coming and they are trying to screw their courage up to the sticking point, rather than flee the field.

Either way, think of them as the lemons Stonewall Jackson devoured during battles. At the end of the day, there will be nothing but victory and discarded citrus peels.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic