Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables sees improvement, but far from satisfied
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables sees improvement, but far from satisfied

Sep 24, 2013, 6:44 PM

Venables sees improvement, but far from satisfied

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday that while he is pleased with the progress of his defense, he realizes there is still work to be done. Focus number one is stopping the big play. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables sees improvement, but far from satisfied

Sep 24, 2013, 7:23 PM

Never satisfied

Sep 24, 2013, 8:08 PM

He's never satisfied? Great!! Maybe we are getting back to the warrior, "no excuses" culture. Right on!

Good management philosophy

Sep 24, 2013, 8:12 PM

Pleased but not satisfied.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Badly in need of average speed at the safety position

Sep 24, 2013, 8:53 PM

that alone woulda prevented 2 of those big plays

I dont know if I'd call Smith/Blanks "slow"

Sep 25, 2013, 12:04 AM

I've seen them take some bad angles on guys but that doesn't make them slow

Can I get an Amen?

Sep 24, 2013, 11:38 PM

I like his viewpoint and they path he sees towards improvement. But I get frustrated every time he fails to mention some of the other fundamentals and mostly tackling. Someone mentioned bumping up the speed of the safeties. They also need to finish the job when they get hands and arms on their targets. Too many runners slip by like they've not been touched at times. It's more than just getting physical. After pursuit you gotta finish the job! Otherwise you almost guarantee another 5 or 10 yards when there should've been a stop.

very true

Sep 24, 2013, 11:44 PM

i think we're kinda hoping that will go away or change.
often plays/tackles should've been made & our boys looked like they were trying to catch a greased pig...especially the safeties & last line of D.
do we still have such tackling fundamentals problems?

we're doing well enough, but I wish it were better...

Sep 24, 2013, 11:47 PM

if a team plays us on their good night & our bad night, we may be really disappointed & i ain't ready for that this year!
I don't even wanna think like that!
WE GOT THIS!!!

Go Tigers!

Re: Can I get an Amen?

Sep 25, 2013, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Can I get an Amen? ]

I absolutely agree. I have seen both of the starting safeties get hands on the runner but not get them down until 5 or 6 yards later. Bad angles, poor tackling, that is all I have seen from them up to this point. I do believe though that the starters are the slowest out of the group of safeties. Didn't hear BV mention Tankersley and he is the fastest player on defense. In my opinion Kearse and Tankersley had the best camp out of the safeties when they got their opportunity from what I seen in the scrimmages. Both have good size,(Kearse great size) athletic, and are physical. You have to trust them at some point. Really need some type of rotation back there because it can hurt us later on in the year.

Kearse has already gotten some playing time

Sep 25, 2013, 3:11 PM

in the SC State game but not a lot of action. Maybe he gets a lot more snaps this week, especially after we get a good 2 score lead. Has Tankersley even been put in at all this season? Maybe the idea is to give Blanks a few more chances. So far, not impressive, though. Kind of flat numbers-wise too.

Re: Kearse has already gotten some playing time

Sep 25, 2013, 4:59 PM

That is my point, not impressed with either safety. Kearse like you said did not get much action and Tankersley has not played in the secondary this season but had 3 tackles and a punishing block on special teams against NC State. I just feel with that type of speed and size and already demonstrating the ability to tackle well he should be given a shot. Kearse, Tankersley,Geohagan,and Johnson should all be in the rotation because evaluating the first few games the play back there could not get any worse.

His quote from Orange & White article

Sep 25, 2013, 6:48 AM

"A guy is not going to give you a blind dog in a meat market every day and then show up as Superman on gamedays." Huh?

He and Morris really like their animal analogies

Sep 25, 2013, 8:14 AM

I suppose it means that even a blind dog can do the job in a meat market but only a top notch hunter (Superman??) is what you want or need. So, I'm just guessing, during the week if you are just doing the minimum (using your nose to find meat in a meat market) you still are probably not the better dog in the pack in an open field hunt. Otherwise I have no idea...

Morris seems to like referring to a goose a lot.

My take on this phrase

Sep 25, 2013, 9:25 AM

Blind dog in a meat market means they are running all over the place and have no clue what is around them kind of like a blind dog chasing all the smells in a meat market.
I think the Superman part speaks for itself. Superman is Superman in any reference.

That sounds more like what Venables may have

Sep 25, 2013, 4:05 PM

been saying. Those darn animal analogies!

Kinda like a

Sep 25, 2013, 5:06 PM [ in reply to My take on this phrase ]

blind ###### at a weenie roast?

Re: His quote from Orange & White article

Sep 25, 2013, 3:53 PM [ in reply to His quote from Orange & White article ]

Per the internet:

http://www.metaphordogs.org/Dogs/entries/likeablind.html

Adjustments

Sep 25, 2013, 7:54 AM

What I've seen since BV has taken over the D is the ability to make needed adjustments. That, IMO, has been our Achilles Heel for a long time. Also, we seem to be getting the right bodies on the field and getting quality depth, as well. Same thing with the Offense. Kudos to Dabo on his DC and OC hires.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo! Point for your assessment! I told my son the same

Sep 25, 2013, 8:39 AM

thing after the UGA game! We can finally make adjustments, thank goodness. That's the huge key to winning, being able to adapt to what the other team is doing to you. IMO, our previous DC could not or would not adjust. The teams would gash our Def by doing the same things to us over and over again. Like you said, Chad is the same way. If they're stopping one thing, try something else. My only beef with Chad is he seems to get away from the run too quickly, not always but sometimes. Quite refreshing to have two coordinators like this!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bingo! Point for your assessment! I told my son the same

Sep 25, 2013, 10:21 AM

Yep! We seem to be getting a lot of things done right lately. Another thing that's been missing for a while that seems to be getting better is the OL and the depth on the OL. TB was good at getting the skill guys, but the big uglies weren't good enough to win those trench battles. We now have a good OL coach, and it shows. A lot is going right for us right now. I think our culture is/has changed for the better. Tell your son his Dad is all over this one, and thanks for being a good Dad. Best times of my life have been going over all the scenarios of Clemson FB with my son. We still do it, and he's 31 now. I wouldn't trade those years traveling to and from our game for anything.

Re: Adjustments

Sep 25, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Adjustments ]

Yep, his halftime adjustments have matched or exceeded our competition. That's as good as it gets with our secondary being so young.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Adjustments

Sep 25, 2013, 10:29 AM

Right on. He has been a huge get for us. I like the passion both he and Chad have for excellence. I believe we have a very good staff. Kudos to Dabo for putting the right pieces in place to succeed.

Sep 25, 2013, 12:27 PM

this coach venebales would help himself considerably if he spoke more in specifics. he is caught up in generalities and when one alalyzes what he says, one finds that he doesn't say much. this may be intentional, but if he talks to his players like this, he would lose effectiveness. i mean this constructively. also, if it were me, i would be harping on the two td's that ncs had called back. no mention of these. clemson came close to giving up 4 td's vs. ncs.

Sep 25, 2013, 2:34 PM

Most coaches speak mostly in generalities.... a general for of speaking known as 'Coach Speak'. Venables is practicing to be a head coach in a few years. He does not have to tell us anything, especially specifics. I have no doubt each one of the players know where they screwed up last Thursday and where they excelled. They have a grade on each play.....

Least it wasn't 25 to Vandy

Sep 25, 2013, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables sees improvement, but far from satisfied ]

woo, that would be awful

Clemson

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic