Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win

Sep 20, 2013, 1:06 AM

Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win

Chad Morris' offense usually hums like a finely-tuned sports car, but coughed and sputtered for much of Thursday night's victory over N.C. State. What does Morris say was the problem? What did Tajh Boyd have to say? What does Morris say about starting jobs on the offensive line? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win

Sep 20, 2013, 1:26 AM

Sputtering is not the right word. Stunk is the right word. The OL was horrible all night. Giff Timothy is not a DI player,and Shaq Anthony is not much better. I don't know what the right answer is at RT, but those two are not the answer.

Seckinger is a pitiful excuse for a TE when it comes to blocking. Put Darrell Smith in and let either he or Sam Cooper do the blocking for that position. Seckinger does not even give a good effort on blocks.

Sep 20, 2013, 4:11 AM

not pretty at all, but i'll take the win. hopefully this game lit a fire in some of those bellies.

Sep 20, 2013, 4:55 AM

And hopefully that fire was lit in the coaching staff. I personally thought that the team played out of sink and soft 85% of the game. The only toughness I saw, was in the upper cut from Battle at the end of the game. Was that a real #3 ranked team in the country that played in Raalee last night, I don't think so. And if it was, college FB is in sad condition!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. That OL would have been murdered by FSU

Sep 20, 2013, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win ]

If you allow so many untouched defenders at the corners on a top notch team like FSU you are begging for an even worse situation for Boyd. As it was, he had to really push himself to stay in the pocket because pursuit was there almost EVERY SINGLE play. NCSU may not be SC State, but still, we were horrible at holding the line.

Sep 20, 2013, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Morris' finely-tuned offense sputters its way to a win ]

Glad to see that someone else saw what what I saw. The OL is a major worry, as I stated prior to the game. I've already mentioned Timothy's "play," and would have to wonder along with you what he is doing at Clemson---let alone starting!

Those pages from the play-book

Sep 20, 2013, 7:17 AM

need to be trashed, must be some of the ones left over from RS, screen L, screen R, run up the middle Punt

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those pages from the play-book

Sep 20, 2013, 7:19 AM

Yep, uninspired playcalling.

Eh, if Tajh hits those two wide open TD's in the first...

Sep 20, 2013, 8:08 AM

half, we're probably talking entirely different game and no one is on Morris for the play-calling. The one he missed to Sammy was inexcusable.

My biggest issue was with the lack of running plays for

Sep 20, 2013, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Those pages from the play-book ]

Hot Rod and Brooks. We have two darn good tailbacks, USE THEM!!

Re: My biggest issue was with the lack of running plays for

Sep 20, 2013, 12:34 PM

Hard to do that with an Ol that's getting their heads handed to them.

Sep 20, 2013, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Those pages from the play-book ]

We had only 1 well called drive the entire game. Morris can draw up some amazing plays, i love his playbook but dating back to last season and heck even the one before that I have not been sold on him as a play caller. I think he gets too impatient during the game and wants to go for the home run. Tajh is a rhythm QB, start the game off with run, screens, 5 and 10 yard routes and later in the game you wont see him sailing the ball high because he wont feel so pressed to make a play. Instead of coming out establishing a tempo we run it 2 plays get a 1st go deep the next 3 plays and punt. We could have ran up the middle on NC State all night and then by the 3rd quarter hit those home run shots he wants to take on the second play from scrimmage. Here's a hint if you do the same thing every game it isnt going to shock people. The best called drive resulted in Bryant's 15yd TD catch. We ran the ball effectively and set up the pass, got the ball out of Tajh's hands quick and marched right down the field. Everyone wants to herald Morris as the best thing to ever happen to Clemson football well last night Tajh was struggling and at what point did Morris try to help him out by dialing things back in? Our O-Line was pathetic but we do 5 PA fakes after not running the ball for half a quarter and expect our O-line to magically block someone? Now as i said i think he draws up great plays and typically we have people running free but you have to adjust to how the game goes and i think he gets bored on the sideline and that hurts the offense. Run the ball up the tempo get the ball out quick get 5-10 yards a play wear a team out and then put them out in the second half when they are out of gas.

Sep 20, 2013, 11:04 AM

Wow! I'm just amazed. Let's fire Morris and hire you. Clemson will have the NC locked up for years to come.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2013, 11:44 AM

Well ncstate seemed to have scouted us well. Glad they had two TD's called back.

Sep 20, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Those pages from the play-book ]

Well when the team does well its because Morris did this and Morris did that but its like people are scared to throw any criticism his way. Im glad we got the guy dont get me wrong but there's nothing wrong with not being the best gamplanner in the world. Does he have a great playbook? of course he does, Am i glad Clemson has him? Of course I am. But Morris is not God, he messes up. In many of our losses it has been pretty poor gameplanning by the offensive staff. Look back to SCar last season. How many times have u seen us huddle since Morris has been here? Well you saw it that game. I know my opinion is not the popular one, im also not one of these lunatics who say FIRE FIRE FIRE. I was just stating what I have witnessed. The LSU game, Morris didnt win us that one, the reason we one that was one because we had Boyd and Hopkins and LSU didnt. But for the most part most coaches overthink things. But if you watch our games when have we been the most effective? In the short to medium passing game and using the fun to set up the PA pass. My point is that he takes too many deep shots instead of killing them underneath, wearing them out, then hitting the home run plays. Lump me into the FIRE so and so crowd if you want but I never said Fire him. I think he should be just as critical of his playcalling as he is of the players. BOyd is struggling and placing the ball high, or he's pressing ok lets take a step back get him in a rhythm and let him do what he does which is make plays. Now go ahead and respond about how I am saying fire someone, or whatever you want to say. But if you actually watch the games you know what I'm saying is true.

Sep 20, 2013, 12:40 PM

Good legitimate points. I'd only add that it's hard to do much of anything consistently when your OL is being beaten so badly.

Sep 20, 2013, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Those pages from the play-book ]

I truly believe that by The Chad telling Tajh to take the small change the defense was offering, could have been the wrong change for Tajh. IMPO, I think that Tajh has always been a little more accurate with the long ball compared to the short screen or dump passes. Turn Tajh loose Mr. Morris, you have train him well. Give him your choices and let him go. When ever The Chad has given Tajh the green light from multiple choice plays, he has always played better IMO. Nuk in the Chic Fila Bowl, 4th and forever. A hyped up strong arm QB as Tajh, don't do well on the short screen or dump passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like Chad lost confidence in Boyd's downfield passing

Sep 20, 2013, 1:09 PM

With our talent at WR and QB, I expected Chad to have more of a downfield passing game. There were lots of WRs open downfield but Boyd's accuracy was off. I wonder if Chad sensed that (knows that when Boyd is off early, he remains inaccurate) and gave up on the downfield passing attack.

Re: Seems like Chad lost confidence in Boyd's downfield passing

Sep 20, 2013, 2:33 PM

To have a downfield passing attack you need time int he pocket and Tahj did nto have that for much of the first half... I did not lose confidence in Tahj Boyd's ability, but I think everyone watching lost confidence in our OLine.

Coulda been mitigated by max pro but Chad didn't even try.***

Sep 20, 2013, 2:57 PM

Re: Seems like Chad lost confidence in Boyd's downfield passing

Sep 20, 2013, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Seems like Chad lost confidence in Boyd's downfield passing ]

Tajh got out of his rhythm by making Tajh play the short game. After he threw a few long balls, he got his long ball recalculated and was on the money.

Mike Williams

Sep 20, 2013, 1:33 PM

Man...
I would like 2 C William's roll increase a lot over the next few games...HUGE UPSIDE, right. (sure it will)
The next Nuk?

And sure, Hopper is really coming into his own--looks
like our receivers are comin' along. Now, lets hope the
running game REALLLYYY picks up, we'll be ok.

Funny though, on another note...defense is playing alil'
better than the "O" -who would had thunk it?-lol

Re: Mike Williams

Sep 20, 2013, 2:34 PM

I would like to see more passes early in the game thrown to Humphries or anybody that can consistently catch.

Humphries

Sep 20, 2013, 3:25 PM

well,

the good thing, I think all the receivers are picking it
up, you agree?
Who would had thought, in the NC State game, it would had
been Boyd who was really having the "off night".
Hopefully, the running game starts really taking off.
Just my 2 cents, but I don't think any of our backs have
done enough to saledify(sp) themselves as the starter.

just saying....

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic