Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Meadows plays the waiting game: Clemson or pro baseball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Meadows plays the waiting game: Clemson or pro baseball?

May 18, 2013, 10:40 AM

Meadows plays the waiting game: Clemson or pro baseball?

Clemson baseball commitment Austin Meadows is regarded as one of the top prospects in the nation, and will likely be a high first round selection in next month's MLB draft. He tells TigerNet he hasn't made a decision on the dollar amount it would take to make him forego a college career. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be ...

May 18, 2013, 12:26 PM

That this kid enrolls and shocks the business world of professional baseball. He loved Clemson when he saw it...what kid doesnt really ? lol at his comment about choosing between us and the Dirtpecks...no competition really .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Could be ...

May 18, 2013, 12:49 PM

Could also be that we lose both the top football recruit in the nation and top baseball recruit in the nation in the same year from the same #### school!

May 18, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Could be ... ]

The first video is from ESPN and he said he expects Meadows to be gone in the first 10 picks, sorry I love Clemson as much as anyone but even I would have to go pro being a top 10 pick...

May 18, 2013, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Could be ... ]

one report says that he will not go pro unless he is drafted in top 10!!one draft projection has him @ # 12???we will see

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take the money. Even with a top end degree from Clemson

May 18, 2013, 1:53 PM

it will take a minimum of 10 years to make a fraction of your potential signing bonus. It's a no brainier to skip college ball all together.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take the money. Even with a top end degree from Clemson

May 18, 2013, 2:50 PM

A degree doesn't make you any money at all. Top end, low end, middle end, or whatever end. Never has and never will.

May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM

Yea except that whole thing about decades of statistics saying it does.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 18, 2013, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Take the money. Even with a top end degree from Clemson ]

the $$$ will still be there in 3 years!! plus they will grow if he plays like he is projected to play!!3 years of Clemson can not be equaled in any other way!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2013, 12:21 AM

Yep, I would rather get better at Clemson than in the minor's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell Mark Appel that...

May 18, 2013, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Take the money. Even with a top end degree from Clemson ]

He was the #8 overall pick in last year's draft and turned down 3.8 million to go back to Stanford for his senior year. It's looking like he will be drafted no later than #2 overall this year (Astros have #1 pick and Cubs have #2) which brings a signing bonus in the range of 7-8 million. Tyler Beede was drafted in the first round 2 years ago and turned it down to go to Vanderbilt. It doesn't appear to have hurt his draft stock. He'll likely go very high next year. There's tons of people that have taken the money to skip college and lived to regret it. Pro baseball will still be there. The college experience will not.

Matt Barkley says hi.***

May 19, 2013, 10:03 AM

Conversely

May 18, 2013, 3:24 PM

He could get injured and lose out on millions. Take the big payday. Invest it wisely..... The rest will take care of itself

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Coversely get an education, play well, get drafted, get mone***

May 18, 2013, 3:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YEP!!***

May 18, 2013, 5:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please name one job that a 21 yr old grad makes 1 mil at?

May 19, 2013, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Coversely get an education, play well, get drafted, get mone*** ]

He can always go back to school.

Enron options trader.***

May 19, 2013, 1:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he takes the money now

May 20, 2013, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Coversely get an education, play well, get drafted, get mone*** ]

he'll be able to afford to go to any college he wants.

I hope he comes to Clemson, but if I'm this kid or his father, I'm taking (or telling him to take) the money.

Its the Jerry Maguire

May 19, 2013, 2:26 AM

generation. Just wish he had said "Its only money! " instead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Get paid while you can. You can always come back to college

May 19, 2013, 10:00 AM

with all the money you make if you want to and get a degree.

Re: Get paid while you can. You can always come back to college

May 19, 2013, 12:26 PM

Yes, he could go to college later down the road if that's what he wanted to do. And getting his degree will be a great accomplishment in his life. But if he went back to school for the college experience, it won't be the same for him as it is for the kids that are in school with him. I know that from personal experience. The fun things that kids do and get into after school hours, he couldn't do with the kids that he is in school with without running the risk of contributing charges whether he contributed or not. After almost getting kicked out school, and almost having a contributing charge and paying a large fine. I had to walk a very narrow path that included any after school activity with the young people that I was friends with. So I'm just saying that the college experience WON'T be the same. Most people go to college after HS, not after a Pro sport career.

Never said otherwise. I would trade no college for 1.5 mil.***

May 19, 2013, 8:50 PM

For starters...

May 20, 2013, 12:12 AM

He won't actually GET 1.5 million after taxes. There is no money in minor league baseball. Minor leaguers barely make minimum wage and they don't get paid during the off-season. Statistics have shown that players that go to college have a better chance of making it to the Major Leagues (nobody's chance is very good) and tend to move up the ladder faster. About 120 players made their Major League debuts last year and 60% of them were drafted out of Division 1 colleges. When you consider that nearly 2000 people are drafted every year, having fewer than 200 make it to the Major Leagues in any given year is not very good odds.

Last year

May 20, 2013, 10:55 AM

the first 14 picks (this kid is projected to go that high) all got at least $2 million in signing bonuses.

Gotta imagine you're keeping at least half of that, and if you manage your money well you can either grow it or at least manage to live off it for quite a while.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic