Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: ACC announces Grant of Rights
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: ACC announces Grant of Rights

Apr 22, 2013, 3:04 PM

ACC announces Grant of Rights

The ACC's Council of Presidents announced Monday that each current and future member of the ACC has signed a grant of media rights? What does it mean? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It means Clemson is stuck in the ACC forever***

Apr 22, 2013, 3:19 PM

We are in an awesome basketball conference!

Apr 22, 2013, 3:21 PM

Lacrosse too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It also means we're not going to the Big 12...

Apr 22, 2013, 3:25 PM

Thankfully.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It also means we're not going to the Big 12...

Apr 22, 2013, 3:32 PM

We never were.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Only the Dudians believed it.***

Apr 22, 2013, 7:51 PM

Not so awesome for us, it appears.***

Apr 22, 2013, 3:39 PM [ in reply to We are in an awesome basketball conference! ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

WE have already been in the ACC forever...

Apr 22, 2013, 3:31 PM [ in reply to It means Clemson is stuck in the ACC forever*** ]

aint nobody else inviting us. It gives some stability. That is a good thing IMO.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Sweet

Apr 22, 2013, 3:29 PM

This is a good move. Say what you want about moving to the Big 12 and keep fantasizing about joining the $EC, but staying put is the right thing to do, IMO

A BCS conference is a BCS conference. We have just as good of a chance as making a BCS bowl where we are than if we were elsewhere.

Most importantly, I am proud to be a part of a conference with prestigious academic institutions such as Duke, UNC, Wake, Miami, GT, and Virginia. I value my Clemson degree and wouldn't want it to be tarnished by joining a conference with the likes of West Va and the rest of the Big 12, or USCjr and the rest of the $EC!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sweet

Apr 22, 2013, 3:49 PM

It's also about time we get with the program and start a lacrosse team to. It's starting in the high schools of NWGA and SETN

Apr 22, 2013, 4:01 PM

As soon as you provide the funds. I for one have no interest in fielding yet another (male or female) sport that is nothing more than a financial drain on the athletic department funds.

Agreed, and we also need ...

Apr 22, 2013, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Sweet ]

A Women's Beach Volleyball Team (we got a big lake, we got sand, we got Womens, its a natural)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now you're talking TV rights!***

Apr 22, 2013, 7:31 PM

Re: Agreed, and we also need ...

Apr 23, 2013, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Agreed, and we also need ... ]

How about lets just settle for a women's softball team. H&ll yeah!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps. But an addition that will

Apr 22, 2013, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Sweet ]

likely get 90-plus approval here in the Southland is a Wimmins softball team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Women's Softball is one of my favorite sports to watch...

Apr 23, 2013, 1:42 PM

I really wish we had a team. Have family that's looking at playing at usuc because its close and "big time" D1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 22, 2013, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Sweet ]

Genius, the BCS is no more after this upcoming football season. Given the overall quality of the ACC, the Orange Bowl is quickly going to become a second tier bowl.

You REALLY think that

Apr 22, 2013, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Sweet ]

being in the same athletic conference with those schools makes your degree more valuable?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I know it does

Apr 22, 2013, 6:06 PM

Working half a world away, the only reason my employer had heard of Clemson was because he was familiar with Duke, UVA, and UNC.

I bet he's familiar with SEC, Big12 schools, etc too***

Apr 23, 2013, 9:11 AM

A few, but he also knows how they compare academically

Apr 23, 2013, 4:18 PM

Aside from Vanderbilt, there aren't any other schools in the SEC or Big 12 that have the same clout as Duke, UNC, UVA, or even GT. I'm not talking about rankings either. I'm talking about perception and the perception is that those schools are the elite.

You are spot on. Now and over

Apr 22, 2013, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Sweet ]

time, this is a good move for Clemson and the conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better hope ACC TV deals improve if you want to keep....

Apr 23, 2013, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Sweet ]

up with the $$$$$ train.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yahoo !

Apr 22, 2013, 4:03 PM

!! This is hugely positive and a long time coming in my opinion. With our young coach and his recent meteoric rise in notoriety , recruiting and results we are certainly capable of being on top of this conference for a good long run. That means BCS appearances and a punchers chance at National Championships. Being in a weaker BCS conference means our path to glory is a lot more cut and dried...I like it.
Scratch that ..Love IT !!!

oh yeah...Sackerlina sucks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

This is good for stability, now a few teams just need to

Apr 22, 2013, 6:47 PM

step up their game. I also love it if it screws the B1G and sec with awkward sizes. I just wish our main deal wasn't with espn. I think I've seen one ACC baseball game on their, but I'm sure I can go watch softball, baseball, or old football highlights from the sec right now. Just start a network like the B1G and force companies to carry it. I will actually watch odd sports on B1G from time to time. It's refreshing to watch real student-athletes compete.

Best of all UMD left before the barn door was locked!***

Apr 23, 2013, 8:30 AM

So we're locked into a conference that is locked into a deal

Apr 23, 2013, 9:13 AM

that provides the 5th most TV money out of the conferences. Sounds to me like the football programs of the ACC will have to search for alternate streams of revenue to compete in the long term.

Its a shame in a way...we need to start being ACC pumpers if

Apr 23, 2013, 9:46 AM

we're going to get anywhere financially.

The brilliance behind the "SEC" chant is that--while pathetic to an actual sports fan--it allows collaboration on a topic where success is not collaborative. When a team loses, it's a loss (in reality), but they've been able to foolishly market that loss into meaning something more through this unionizing of fans.

We say "I care about how Clemson does, not Wake Forest". Well, that is a mentality that should support the opposite model of a Grant of Rights. We should be trying to market ourselves and reap the benefits of doing so. Its only 2 or 3 times a year that the competition actually makes a Clemson game more desirable. That's not to say we couldn't split hairs here, but if you're going to the UNC game, it's not because you're interested in that program. And so on for about 8 other schools in the league.

That being said, if the Clemsons, Virginia Techs and the Florida States are the bell cows for the conference (from a football viewership standopoint), and football viewership drives TV contracts, then it only makes sense that the funds are given to those teams relatively. At least that would allow schools responsible for our collective revenue agreements to see a benefit in doing so. The only alternative is to bite your tongue from a sports fan standpoint and become a true fan of 13 other schools--conveniently in our league--and hope it works out.

I'd be much more willing to support the ACC

Apr 23, 2013, 10:00 AM

if they had supported us in the 80s, and if the commish wasn't a Tar Hole

I feel much the same

Apr 23, 2013, 1:07 PM

Instead of the conference embracing a national champion and Clemson, the ACC member...they screwed us with an extra year of punishment to do nothing but bring us down to their level or below. And I don't care how long he denies it, Swofford was a party to that POS action.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think some of you really overanalyze this stuff. The SEC

Apr 23, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Its a shame in a way...we need to start being ACC pumpers if ]

is making a ton of money because they have a bunch of marquee programs with big fanbases that consistently put good teams on the field.

Look at all of the big games they had last year just during the conference regular season.

LSU vs Bama
Bama vs A&M
A&M vs LSU
A&M vs Florida
Florida vs LSU
LSU vs USC
USC vs UGA
Florida vs USC
Florida vs UGA

That's not even including a game like Tenn vs Florida that hosted Gameday!

What did the ACC have? FSU vs Clemson and ....... well, that's pretty much it. I can assure that almost nobody outside of SC and the 20 WFU fans in Winston Salem want to watch Clemson @ Wake.

It's really, really simple, the SEC just has more games that people want to watch on a national level.

Why in the world would mar-quee get filtered? I can't even

Apr 23, 2013, 1:52 PM

figure out how to arrange those letters in a way to make a dirty word.

HTML code...***

Apr 23, 2013, 5:07 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does this mean Clemson & FSU splits all TV revenue w/Duke

Apr 23, 2013, 8:57 PM

and Wake Forest? Especially considering Clemson and FSU will be featured on ESPN and ABC prime time and Duke and Wake will be relegated to late night ESPN-Ocho.

Re: Does this mean Clemson & FSU splits all TV revenue w/Duke

Apr 23, 2013, 9:54 PM

It means they get an EQUAL part of every penny we earned. And they didn't spend squat to try and put a FB team on the field to compete with not even each other. They would rather flip a coin to get a winner to put in the record books. And they will never spend not even close to enough money to field a team that could compete in the southern conference. Hey, it is what it is. And the top brass at Clemson couldn't care less. Just wait until Morris leaves. The brass won't pay out that much money again for a coach to keep us moving forward. Dabo was a shocking surprise to all the brass. And that made them spend money they didn't want to spend but had to, to put on a show of we care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic