Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security

Apr 16, 2013, 11:57 AM

Security

Security
Yesterday's tragic events in Boston were horrific and our prayers go out to the families.

It also brings up the future of how we handle big sporting events in our country. On my radio show this morning we got into security at Clemson sporting events and how the policies can be

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security

Apr 16, 2013, 12:08 PM

Plyler should stick to sports. Life does not come before liberty - without liberty, what life would we enjoy? Ben Franklin said, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Jinx***

Apr 16, 2013, 12:09 PM

Apr 16, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

Ben also said "beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy". I think that is a universal truth

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ben was a very wise man***

Apr 16, 2013, 12:14 PM

Beer

Apr 16, 2013, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

Especially at half-time...

Apr 16, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

> Plyler should stick to sports. Life does not come
> before liberty - without liberty, what life would we
> enjoy? Ben Franklin said, “Those who would give up
> essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

A big AMEN!! It is clear Mickey knows little, or nothing, about the HOW, and WHY our nation was founded. His problem is "he doesn't know what he doesn't know" which is typical of those who "write" and actually believe they are objective journalists.

Pass outs were suspended at Death Valley after 9/11

Apr 16, 2013, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

It was no big deal...

If you give up your liberty for safety

Apr 16, 2013, 12:09 PM

then the terrorists win. As Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

that's already occurred and continues everyday

Apr 16, 2013, 12:20 PM

I'm traveling later today...guarantee you the security lines will be longer and more thorough today than in a long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it when people try to cross security with "rights"

Apr 16, 2013, 6:58 PM

When Ben Franklin, other founding fathers and anyone who spoke about security and liberty more than 15 years ago were talking, they had NO IDEA of the direction this world was heading. But ONE person did.... Jesus Christ. He warned about this World getting worse and worse until the end comes. He also put it on us, those with power, to make decisions that would protect the weak, AT OUR OWN COSTS! According to Christ, anything less than being willing to give up everything for others (lay down your life) is not the path to liberty, nor eternal security. One has to look no further than Jesus on the Cross to understand that we must give up EVERYTHING. Every comfort. Every right. Every gain, in order to earn true freedom. This life is not about you and me. It's about what you and I do for others.

That's why American service men are willing to die for YOU! Yet you're not willing to give up a minuscule amount of your own privacy, time and comfort to secure the safety of others. That's sick and selfish at best.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

You sound just like the politicians

Apr 17, 2013, 2:09 PM

our forefathers didn't know how the world was going to be....bla bla bla......

our forefathers were brilliant.....and the constituition is brilliant. government wants to change it so they can benefit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: If you give up your liberty for safety

Apr 16, 2013, 12:31 PM [ in reply to If you give up your liberty for safety ]

Kinda like the liberty to use tobacco...

Uhhh...no but it's a nice attempt....

Apr 16, 2013, 1:32 PM

to divert attention from a malodorus and offensive habbit the residual effects from which are proven to be harmful to others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Uhhh...no but it's a nice attempt....

Apr 16, 2013, 2:38 PM

So become a hermit.

Fortunately, I don't have to.....

Apr 16, 2013, 3:06 PM

because I live in a County where the illeffects of second hand smoke are fully recognized and on that basis, the County has completely banned smoking in all public establishments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which is BS

Apr 17, 2013, 2:10 PM

Any business owner should be able to choose what happens in his/her business. Anyone that enters knows the potential risks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like every school should be able to decide

Apr 17, 2013, 3:01 PM

if they want to allow people back into a sporting event if they leave?

you liberty losers are a bunch of paranoid hypocrites.

Yes and those business owners would be bankrupt due to

Apr 17, 2013, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Which is BS ]

non-smokers not frequenting those businesses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2013, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Uhhh...no but it's a nice attempt.... ]

I also find Carolina fans to stink and act offensively, especially when drinking at Death Valley before the big game, but I don't think we should ban them from the stadium. That would be imposing my desires over the rights of others.

The difference is....

Apr 16, 2013, 3:02 PM

while $CU fans are smelly and offensive they are, for all practical purposes, harmless.

Apr 16, 2013, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Uhhh...no but it's a nice attempt.... ]

BULLCRAP

Re: If you give up your liberty for safety

Apr 16, 2013, 2:41 PM [ in reply to If you give up your liberty for safety ]

Amen Mickey and Roy have no clue what's going on at football games! You get checked more coming back in than before the game.

Ofcourse I wouldn't go to my car at half time if I could set up there not have to pay for drinks

Like I said earlier

Apr 16, 2013, 12:13 PM

hundreds of sporting events all over the globe everyday, college,pro,semi-pro,minor,youth that all go fine. Tens of thousands of flights take off everyday and land safely.

Apr 16, 2013, 12:14 PM

I have no issues at all with increasing security for football games. Games played at BoA in CLT or at SunLife in Miami had much better security entering the stadium.

I would like to see Clemson be proactive with the pass-out policy.
Make staying in the stadium a great choice, not a forced choice.

Most folks, including myself, leave and come back due to:
- $4 bottles of water and high prices. If there is no pass-outs, the volume will increase on concessions, thus lower prices can be offered. Make the concession price more reasonable (Think Augusta National food prices)

- Some type of half-time show that is not the band playing Pat Boone's greatest hits. Basketball does not have pass-outs, but for ACC games has half-time entertainment.

-Since 3-4 games are played in the heat of September, eliminate smoking from the concourse area so people can cool off without 2nd hand smoke.

Other ideas... 1 gate for pass-outs exit/entry. Make it a hassle to get out and in with security and metal detector wanding. You can "pass-out" but it is a pain to do.

OT

If you think Clemson will ever drop concession prices

Apr 16, 2013, 12:16 PM

you're fooling yourself.

Apr 16, 2013, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

Free water is available at the first aid stations. I bring in an unopened bottle of water/gatorade and refill it multiple times. There is one located under Section T and I would think there are others.

Apr 16, 2013, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

Basketball does have pass outs! You should go sometime

Halftime is only part of problem

Apr 16, 2013, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

- Before the game the gates outside get very crowded
- Halftime as documented
- The gates are free to enter in the middle of the 4th qtr, even during big games
- During the post game all the crowd leaves the games in large crowds

I can certainly go either way, but it would be fairly easy to escalate more caution when people enter back in after halftime, but there is very little scrutiny when gates open in 4th quarter.

Before every game the law enforcement checks the stadium with dogs, maybe reducing the gates for halftime exit would allow law enforcement to pay attention when they enter back in.

It is not black and white, I think Clemson can arrive at alternatives.

Apr 16, 2013, 12:15 PM

Also, I don't think it wise to compare the "pass-out" policy to those of racial and gender discrimination.

well Mickey also likes to compare

Apr 16, 2013, 12:16 PM

football to war.

One ig thing would be make the water from the fountains

Apr 16, 2013, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Security ]

COLD water instead of Warm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2013, 12:17 PM

Did Plyler provide any explanation on his radio show as to why he thinks it would enhance safety to eliminate passouts? He certainly didn't provide any reason in this blog.

I don't get it, pregame you have 70-80 thousand people coming into the stadium and after halftime you only have a couple of thousand at most. Does he think there is not security at the gates after the game starts. Perhaps there is a valid reason, but if there is, he hasn't provided it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand....

Apr 16, 2013, 12:25 PM

I don't understand how allowing someone to leave and come back in would heighten security. In fact, there is less chaos when an individual is re-entering the stadium during the game, than when tens of thousands are all coming in at once. The gates still have police when you come back in, and bags are still checked.

We all need to be vigilant in looking for suspicious people/items. Would a perfect target not be the $10k people that are all trying to enter gate 1 15 minutes before the game? Imagine if that same bomb went off there, how many more injuries/deaths would occur than in Boston.

When it comes down to it there are not enough resources/money to stop an incident like this. If a terrorist wants to create terror then it will be done. We just have to all do our part in helping local/federal law enforcement to do their job and look for something that is out of place.

I'm not arguing whether we should or should not allow re-entry into the games; but I don't see how this tradition would deter a terrorist from not attacking their target...

Plyler <> security expert***

Apr 16, 2013, 12:46 PM

Police Dogs

Apr 16, 2013, 12:29 PM

Hi all - I'm an Auburn grad, but a Clemson tuition payer (times three). Anyway, several years ago, perhaps for an Auburn/Alabama game, Auburn ringed the field with police dogs to "enhance security". Though a proud AU grad, that turned my stomach to the point I've never quite recovered from the site. If that's what Mickey wants, then he can have Clemson and Clemson football. Clemson's willingness to accommodate fans by allowing them player access and field access is second-to-none in the USA. Freedom or die.

Apr 16, 2013, 12:40 PM

I would say to heighten security for those re-entering, but do not stop the current tradition. It is a tradition that helps make Clemson unique. At any sporting event I always think it stinks that you cannot leave and come back in. It is about more than having an extra drink, what if you have a young child you need a change of clothes, diaper etc...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Franklin or Plyler - who is smarter?

Apr 16, 2013, 1:00 PM

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. B. Franklin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i mean, mickey's suggestion is stupid

Apr 17, 2013, 8:54 AM

but how in the hell does being able to get free food and drinks during halftime register as an "essential liberty"?

Serve beer inside stadium

Apr 16, 2013, 1:34 PM

But dont charge 6-8 bucks for a beer. make it more like 4-5 and people will stay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2013, 1:39 PM

People enjoy the pass-out policy. I've used it before myself. Why not just use the same security that we use to enter the game for re-entering the game? Want added security? Install metal detectors. I feel very safe inside the stadium at Clemson games.

People might complain that they won't get back in before the second half starts, but that is just the price you have to pay to leave. I imagine most people who use the pass-out policy don't get back in time anyway unless they have parking right outside of the stadium.

I'm not as worried about day-of security as I would be about pre-gameday security. Before Saturdays, the entrance to the stadium is very loosely guarded by EPI security. Central Spirit puts the balloon nets together every Friday and we just tell the guy why we're there and we go in. Theoretically, someone could place a bomb during this time if they act like they work for the TV crew or something, who is also setting up during this time. They only check bags we bring in Saturday morning for when we blow the balloons up.

Granted, I'm pretty sure they bring in bomb-sniffing dogs before every game, though, so it'd still be challenging to plant something in the stadium.

I'd also be more worried about something happening in the parking lots than at the stadium itself. It's pretty hard to keep things like that secure. They could bring in a bunch of k-9 units, but they may have trouble working with all of the food around (drug dogs that came to my high school back in the day would often alert officers to candy in students' bags).

Apr 16, 2013, 3:04 PM

What does the pass-out policy have to do with security? I was in law enforcement for 13 years. The last 3.5 years I was in the anti-terrorism task force. Unless you can check every vehicle parking around the stadium and ban all backpacks and pocketbooks, you still have a problem. Some of the tailgating vehicles could be loaded up with something more than a grill and cooler. Then parked near choke points and that would be a bigger problem then 1 person wearing a backpack in the stadium. So I guess we might need to remove some of those parking areas near the stadium and have people bused in. But then the buses and drop off points for the buses become target areas. See how this works.

Apr 16, 2013, 9:40 PM

You can tell these guys work for the Tiger Sports Radio station. Clemson is like so many other organizations, they will spread their agenda through the mouthpiece that they have, and in this case that is WCCP. I love WCCP but it is clear when agendas are passed on from Clemson because all of the talk show guys start sounding like a broken record, passing on the same agenda. I think that Clemson has been wanting to do something like this for a long time and they just needed a reason to do it. I don't think that they welcomed something like the Boston Bombing but I do think that they are going to use it as an opportunity to get something done that they have been wanting to do for a while. I think we should keep things the way people like them until we are absolutely forced to change. The problem with our country now is that we try and make changes based on everything that happens in our society. We are very reactionary. I would like to see things stay the same when we can. The changes we have seen at our airports were a must. I don't believe that this is.

One of our forefathers said it best

Apr 17, 2013, 2:06 PM

Thomas Jefferson, who said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Typical knee-jerk Mickey...Stay home if safety is that

Apr 17, 2013, 3:06 PM

important...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it is going to happen it will happen either way.

Apr 17, 2013, 4:00 PM

Taking away the pass out policy does nothing to help security. Actually doing something other than cops standing there will do something. Address the security entry issue and not the pass out policy and we will be more secure.

Apr 17, 2013, 6:00 PM

Thomas Jefferson said...To give up security for liberty is not liberty..

Apr 17, 2013, 6:03 PM

Thomas Jefferson said...To give up Liberty for security is not Liberty...

Did he say it twice?***

Apr 17, 2013, 6:28 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic