Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Will I Ever See The Day?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Will I Ever See The Day?

Mar 12, 2013, 9:30 AM

Will I Ever See The Day?

Will I Ever See the Day?
I really don't like writing negative blogs about Clemson athletics. My favorite ones are the ones after big wins and high hopes, but bare with me today.

This Thursday Clemson will play in the Atlantic Coast Conference Men's basketball tournament in Greensboro.

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke played in a bowl recently.

Mar 12, 2013, 9:40 AM

I don't know what that says about Clemson basketball.

I never comment on Mickey's blogs, etc.... but I will today

Mar 12, 2013, 9:47 AM

I have to disagree. The ACCT is still a big deal, IMO. I love to watch each game, pull for the underdog, or for UNC and Duke to lose.

I think we can beat FSU, and make it interesting against UNC. BB is a coach built for tournaments, and is 9-1 in first round conference tournament games. Survive and advance and see what happens.

We are not the "Duke Football" of basketball. We have been successful. Purnell took us to the NCAA 3 in a row, and an ACCT title game. BB took us back to the NCAA and won a game there.

It's been a difficult year, but we are 10 possessions away (finishing them) of being in NCAA discussion. With BB, and our style at tournament time, it will be an exciting weekend... win or lose.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

NCAA discussion????

Mar 12, 2013, 9:49 AM

I've told you over and over not to put the clear stuff in your corn pops...MILK goes in cereal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what I mean is....

Mar 12, 2013, 9:52 AM

look at our close losses this year... if we finish 10-12 more offensive possessions, we are sitting at something like 11-7 in ACC play, with a much better draw in the tourney...

I'm not advocating for BB one way or another... but we've had chances in big games down the stretch and couldn't convert enough.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

tommy bowden lost 14 games one year by a combined 3 points

Mar 12, 2013, 9:54 AM

and see where that got him?

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

14 games by 3 points....those are really close games...wow***

Mar 12, 2013, 9:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

heartbreakers; if cu'd just converted a few more...

Mar 12, 2013, 10:03 AM

tunnel screens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but you know every week 50% of the teams in america lose***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:04 AM

yeah, unfortunately some teams are in the unfortunate 50%

Mar 12, 2013, 10:12 AM

more often than others.

oh.. I'm not defending the season by any stretch... I just

Mar 12, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to tommy bowden lost 14 games one year by a combined 3 points ]

think it shows that we can be a tough draw in a tournament...

I was an OP fan... but I like the chances of a 5-13 BB team better than a 5-13 OP team...

i hear ya yorkie. late in the season, looking for some mo

Mar 12, 2013, 10:10 AM

going into the dance and draw a slow down, half court meat grinder in your first round match up. not the low seed i'd wanna pull if i was the fsu coach.

we are not the draw I would want...

Mar 12, 2013, 10:12 AM

our defense is capable of giving us a chance and frustrating teams...

we often talk about how bad we stink in basketball

Mar 12, 2013, 10:10 AM [ in reply to oh.. I'm not defending the season by any stretch... I just ]

but if we lose Thursday this will only be the second coaching staff since Barnes took over to not make any post season play two years in a row. In fact you can go back to 1992 and if you take out the Shyatt years we have made post season play of some kind and only missed one year here and there. This year would make 2 years in a row.

that is exactly why I said I disagreed with Mickey***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:11 AM

right there with you....it's a big deal***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:13 AM

After 10 years, not his third.***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:40 AM [ in reply to tommy bowden lost 14 games one year by a combined 3 points ]

do you think we learned anything from it?***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:45 AM

Tourney has degraded mightily

Mar 12, 2013, 10:14 AM [ in reply to I never comment on Mickey's blogs, etc.... but I will today ]

tickets to the ACC Tourney used to be the hardest to get in sports - even harder than the Masters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

college basketball has fallen off in the past few years as

Mar 12, 2013, 10:23 AM

well...the game used to have players stay for at least 3 yrs...most 4....the one and done and etc has hurt the college game.

For one thing, college basketball is not as good as it

Mar 12, 2013, 10:09 AM

once was, primarily due to the way the game has morphed into a slam-dunk/3-point street brawl.

As far as Clemson goes, lack of tradition aside, I don't think there is anything inherent to Clemson itself that would prevent us from changing that, building a winning tradition, and being extremely competitive in the ACC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Disappointed in you Mickey

Mar 12, 2013, 10:17 AM

for this one quote..."I know some of you love going to the event, but I still can't figure out what is so great about watching the Tigers get beat in the first round then sitting around and watching the enemy play basketball."

Can't have this attitude when facing extreme adversity. Remember a couple years back when last-seeded UGA beat Kentucky and Miss. St and won the SEC tourney? You think anybody gave them a chance either?

If I went to 10 ACC tournaments and saw Clemson lose in the first round 9 times, it would be worth it to be there for the one magical run to the final game or title.

Anything can happen

my problem with the quote is...

Mar 12, 2013, 10:19 AM

It's the freaking ACCT. I want CU to do well just like the next guy... but I also am a college basketball fan.

Just say that you don't enjoy college basketball. That would be better than what he said.

I must respectfully disagree...

Mar 12, 2013, 10:40 AM

And yes i know that many folks are eager to "get it over with" and toss this year's basketball in the trash can. Certainly it was been a long, frustrating season.

That said, this remains a team that can mess up other folks in the next week.

I do not see us returning to the NCAA this year, and given our record, that means we don't go to the NIT, either. So, every game we step on the court could well be our last.

But it's not Pollyanna to believe we can beat Florida State. Lord knows if someone would just hip-check Snaer into the seats, we'd have beaten them already.

It's not Pollyanna to believe this team can beat UNC. If KJ hadn't been in street clothes a couple of weeks ago, we could well have seen that as well.

It's not Pollyanna to believe Clemson can foil and frustrate anyone in our path. The only possible Pollyanna is to believe that we could actually go an entire game without a 5-6 minute scoring drought, or hit 75 percent of our free throws.

But if ... IF ... that little bit of improbability can come through, there is no one we need fear.

And if the season has to end Thursday, make Florida State win it, rather that hand it to the Noles on cold shooting. If the season is to end Friday, make UNC earn it.

Clemson's future is still in Clemson's hands. And we are looking at two teams that we can beat. After that, who knows?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the tourney. I'm looking forward to redemption for a season that slipped away.

If I'm wrong, it's one more loss. Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things?

But 1962 is only a couple of games away. One more win ... then one more ... then ... THAT is why you look forward to Greensboro.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... I'm looking forward to it as well ***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:44 AM

always look forward to it....

Mar 12, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to I must respectfully disagree... ]

it means the winter is over and spring is here...it was always the excitement of Greensboro Coliseum...seeing if we could pull off the improbable win...make a run even though in my lifetime they've rarely happened...the win against UNC with the Buckner dunk...the run in 2008.

I won't be as respectful as Rev in disagreeing, this blog

Mar 12, 2013, 10:43 PM

is stupid. Considering our season we got a great draw. I fully expect a win over FSU and then who the heck knows against UNC.

What I do know is BB is a great game planner. Therefore, anyone playing Clemson in this tourney will have their work cut out for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

absolutely***

Mar 12, 2013, 10:59 AM

I think you meant "bear with me". "Bare with me" means

Mar 12, 2013, 11:13 AM

get nekkid together lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

he's going to have a few free hours on thurs., maybe meekey

Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM

was looking for something to do. i know gwp's gonna be disappointed if you're right.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Will I Ever See The Day?

Mar 12, 2013, 12:14 PM

I too remember my teacher wheeling the big tv into the classroom as we watched the ACC tournament-what fun!
I used to think we at least had a chance to win our first game in the tourney-not so much this year-but hopefully one day we at least regain optimism that we have a fighting chance!

Based on the way we've played the last month, we would have

Mar 12, 2013, 1:05 PM

a very difficult time winning the Big South tournament right now, much less the ACC. The team has been playing god-awful basketball for the most part lately. Watching them trying to score is akin to getting a root canal.

We will someday win in CH, but I don't think we ACC Tourney.

Mar 12, 2013, 1:06 PM

Adding Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Louisville will relegate us to playing for 7th place in the league. Hey, I hope I am wrong, bit I am afraid I am right. Go Tigers!

“Bare with me” would be an invitation to undress.***

Mar 12, 2013, 2:02 PM

Bear with me would be problem too I suppose.***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for not blowing ACC smoke up my butt!

Mar 12, 2013, 6:30 PM

I feel the same way about the tourney. I'm not watching the ACC or the NCAA this season either. Basketball is over for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear ya', buddy! I hear ya'... nm

Mar 12, 2013, 10:48 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic