Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Pro Day news and notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Pro Day news and notes

Mar 7, 2013, 2:55 PM

Pro Day news and notes

The NFL made its way to Clemson Thursday morning for Clemson’s annual Pro Day, and NFL scouts and executives took a look at former Clemson players like Nuk Hopkins. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck guys! Some team is going to get a bargain

Mar 7, 2013, 3:04 PM

with Jaron Brown. He got a bit unlucky in that he was the teams 4th option behind Nuk, Sammy, and Brandon. But he always made a tough catch per game to save a drive. He made major progression from his freshman year when I hated him!

I'm going to miss 3rd down Brown

Mar 7, 2013, 3:21 PM

He's a lot like Nuk to me. he's not the fastest, strongest or flashiest player but your going to get a baller that gives you 100% and can make some truly tough catches when called upon. All they have to do is put the film on him and they'll see an very sure handed catcher, decent route runner, and very physical blocker. Brown has no fear in taking on LBs and showed as such in the LSU game where he basically stonewalled two LSU defenders from getting to Tajh on his first TD run.

Re: Good luck guys! Some team is going to get a bargain

Mar 7, 2013, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Good luck guys! Some team is going to get a bargain ]

And Brandon has apparently muscled up to about 245, which to me makes him a potential force. Dalton Freeman is going to be a steal for someone.

Question

Mar 7, 2013, 3:42 PM

I love Clemson football and wish all these players the best. But do these 40 times seem suspect to anyone else?

I mean throughout the past couple years we have heard that Nuk and Jaron are 4.6-4.7 guys, and now they are running 4.3-4.4s? Dalton Freeman runs a 4.88? Brandon Ford was moved to tight end because he wasn't really fast enough to play receiver, and now he is running a 4.5 (plenty fast enough to play receiver, even at the pro level). Heck, Mallaciah ran in the mid 4.8-4.9s at the combine and now he is running a 4.5?

Just seems a little bit strange to me, but hey I hope its accurate and I hope they all get drafted when the time comes. Go Tigers

It's not like they're making up times in front of NFL scouts***

Mar 7, 2013, 3:47 PM

They're unoffical so take it with a grain of salt

Mar 7, 2013, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Question ]

that being said I never care much for the 40 in the first place. These are FB players not track players. If you want an accurate showing of their speed put them in full pads on the LOS and have them run a forty that way.

Re: They're unoffical so take it with a grain of salt

Mar 7, 2013, 4:21 PM

Yeah I agree with you there. I feel that most combine events are highly overrated.

And no I was not implying they made up numbers for scouts, just pointing out that it is strange for someone to shave four to five tenths of a second from their 40 time in about a month.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:23 PM

Made up numbers? You mean rig the clocks? In front of NFL people who were obviously doing their own timing??
Are you serious?

They can shave considerable time off at this point

Mar 8, 2013, 12:09 AM [ in reply to Re: They're unoffical so take it with a grain of salt ]

Remember, for the past 4 years they were working every day to be better football players. Now, over the past couple months, they have been focusing their efforts on very specific drills. Yeah it overlays, but if you spent 2-3 hrs a day working on how to perfectly run a 40, you are gonna make legitimate improvement. Then after this, they go back to working on being football players.

Also, these things are hand timed, so each person records what they timed. They will anticipate the start, slow on the start, anticipate the finish, slow on the finish...all can mean a 40 could be 4.6 +/- .1 easily

Mar 7, 2013, 7:25 PM [ in reply to They're unoffical so take it with a grain of salt ]

Don't disagree at all, and in fact, I always argued that the linemen should be judged on the first 5 to 10 yds in quickness and agility. That really is all that matters in their jobs. I was a slow OL in the 40, but I was as quick as anybody in the first 5-10 yds., so I had a motive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question

Mar 7, 2013, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Question ]

How could they fake that? People can get faster.

Numbers in article...

Mar 7, 2013, 4:46 PM

Do not match PDF file

Re: Numbers in article...

Mar 7, 2013, 11:25 PM

OK, I won't, if you can give me some remote idea as to what the he$$ you mean.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic