Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Alexander: "I am expecting to come in and be the starter"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Alexander: "I am expecting to come in and be the starter"

Feb 21, 2013, 10:25 AM

Alexander: "I am expecting to come in and be the starter"

5-star cornerback Mackensie Alexander talked to TigerNet this week about starting the Georgia game and the emotions and thought processes surrounding his decision to become a Tiger. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah that's not going to be a problem. He'll start for sure

Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 AM

I love this kid's attitude and competitiveness. I say put him across from the best WR UGA has and tell him to shut him down and then play zone behind him. If Alexander did indeed keep Sammy in check in HS then I have no doubt this kid is ready to play and he's right. Most of the time last year when you saw our secondary you thought to yourself "wow", and not in a good way.

Most of the time last year when we saw the secondary it

Feb 21, 2013, 11:30 AM

was seconds before the play was run, after which they were no longer in camera view with the wide receivers.

FRESHMAN ALL AMERICAN CALLING MY SHOT NOW***

Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

was told...

Feb 21, 2013, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Yeah that's not going to be a problem. He'll start for sure ]

at least half of the Dbs coming in will play this year.

Alexander, Baker, Wiggins, Kearse most likely won't RS

Feb 21, 2013, 12:42 PM

We need numbers and talent at safety and just straight up talent at CB.

Is it possible Mackensie will have more impact than

Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM

Travis Blanks? If so, this will be a huge difference in the secondary.

I gotta believe the defense is going to take a HUGE step next year with the addition of a few pick ups from this year's class, a few of the underclassman getting a full year in the system (getting stronger, faster...smarter, even) and Brent Venables having more time to work with everyone with a full bowl game practice period & another spring ball Get most of the players going through Summer drills and the 3 weeks in fall and I think we're going to see a drastically different Defense (even better than the D we saw against LSU...and that was good).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we get our starters back***

Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 AM

Clemson

said like a good thing***

Feb 21, 2013, 2:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Getting breeland and Jenkins back is a good thing***

Feb 21, 2013, 2:05 PM

Re: said like a good thing***

Feb 21, 2013, 4:07 PM [ in reply to said like a good thing*** ]

I think he was referring to the hurt ones.

Jenkins is a very good player.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It's quite possible

Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Is it possible Mackensie will have more impact than ]

Imagine Alexander as the starting Cb with Blanks behind him at FS or SS. That's one side of the field that's completely cut off.

Re:Just think about this!

Feb 21, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Is it possible Mackensie will have more impact than ]

BV came in and in only 1 year took a defense with lots of holes and problems to a different level of play, and the same goes for Chad. Are we where we want to be? No, but I see us getting there very soon. BV and CM are getting players who fit their systems, and they are making the ones we already had much more effective. I am very excited about our future. Kudos to Dabo for putting this staff together.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is impressive work ethic - already a fan favorite!***

Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 AM

Hopefully that work ethis rubs off on Peters and Robinson

Feb 21, 2013, 10:45 AM

These guys have all kinds of ability but it seems like they lack motivation. Obviously I'm not at practice or in meetings or in the weightroom or their dorm rooms while they study playbook but they were out of position a lot. Everyone in the secondary better get focused in a hurry because this kid is coming for your job!!!

Like in the Bowden era, I hope he was promised the first

Feb 21, 2013, 10:45 AM

touch of the first game (while playing D), and that we play D the opening series. ;)

seriously....send this kid the playbook now

Feb 21, 2013, 10:59 AM

this guys is dialed in big time
i think he's gonna be the leader of this secondary

dont think kearse is that far behind

blanks-kearse-alexander-primetime

any returning letterman from last yr team is on notice

these kids are coming for your job

Do we see him in any O packages?

Feb 21, 2013, 11:21 AM

Seems like he's also a good WR / RB / Whatever you need him to be, just get him the ball kind of guy.

Re: Do we see him in any O packages?

Feb 21, 2013, 11:33 AM

Maybe punt returns and stuff. I think the coaches will get the ball in his hands if he proves he can make plays like Tyrann Mathieu.

Then I suggest Mr. Alexander

Feb 21, 2013, 11:43 AM

that you change your tone.

Better to say, "I'm coming in and EARNING the starting role."

This is a level of play that humbles even the 5-stars.

Expecting to be the starter would mean that he would earn it

Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 PM

and if he "walks the walk," then I have no doubts he will be the best player in our secondary maybe from day 1.

Re: Then I suggest Mr. Alexander

Feb 21, 2013, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Then I suggest Mr. Alexander ]

He may not have worded it the way you would approve, but he did say that he intends to out work everybody. And if he does do that, he will have earned a place on our team. Goooo Tigerssss!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wont be starting from day 1.

Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 PM

Breeland is one starter, Alexander wont beat him out. The other corner spot may be up for grabs. He'll have to compete, but I find it difficult to think a true freshman will come in and beat out the other guys who have been on campus for several years. He'll be the starter by the end of the year, though.

He most certianly will be the starter from day one

Feb 21, 2013, 12:15 PM

Breeland will take one spot no doubt but the other spot is his to win, easily. He's more talented then every other Cbs we have, by far.

Maybe so ... we'll see

Feb 21, 2013, 2:47 PM

The same thing was said about Stephone Anthony given the state of our LB corps at the time.

Alexander will have to beat out vererans Martin Jenkins, Garry Peters and Darius Robinson all returning healthy and experienced.

I hope he can do it. We need Alexander to be THAT good!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe so ... we'll see

Feb 21, 2013, 7:10 PM

If he don't take any starting jobs. He will have pushed our starters to take their job a whole lot more serious. And if that happens, he will be a plus for our team, and will have made him even better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wager? Since you feel he CERTAINLY will***

Feb 22, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to He most certianly will be the starter from day one ]

Re: Wager? Since you feel he CERTAINLY will***

Feb 23, 2013, 7:54 PM

We as Clemson alums/fans need to enter the door to greatness just as our coaches are preaching. Just as we expect great success year in and year out we need our players to do so as well. The minute we start to doubt our recruits or wager on their success we set ourselves up for mediocrity. As much as we hold ourselves to high standards academically we need to challenge those guys who buy into our "All In" mentality athletically to achieve the same level of greatness.

cornerback is 1 position on the field that a freshman can

Feb 21, 2013, 5:06 PM [ in reply to He wont be starting from day 1. ]

come in and make an immediate impact, esp. if we play more man instead of a zone scheme.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man....I really like this kid. Sounds a lot like Sammy

Feb 21, 2013, 12:13 PM

with his attitude and work ethic. What a huge, HUGE snag he was! Lets GOOOOOOO

Maybe the work ethic, but not the attitude SW had...

Feb 21, 2013, 1:27 PM

...MA may be better served letting his talk be displayed on the field. It's not like he is walking onto a 1A 7-man football squad. There should be some real men out on that field with him.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Agree

Feb 21, 2013, 1:45 PM

He is the opposite of Sammy at this point. Everyone else (coahces/players) told us how talented and hard-working Sammy was. This is the opposite of that.

Re: Maybe the work ethic, but not the attitude SW had...

Feb 21, 2013, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Maybe the work ethic, but not the attitude SW had... ]

Well now lets not let this kid come in and have the drive to make himself better than anyone else at his position. That just wouldn't be fair to the ones that maybe hasn't given a 110% would it. For me with his attitude, I hope he is good enough to come in as a true fresh with the ability to talk the talk and walk the walk.

We'll see. Must read for Robinson, Breeland, Peters, and

Feb 21, 2013, 2:15 PM

Jenkins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he REALLY want to be at Clemson?

Feb 21, 2013, 2:33 PM

Or were we second choice after Florida turned him away at the last minute? What was that all about anyway?

You got it all wrong

Feb 21, 2013, 4:05 PM

That was pure rumor. Florida reached out to Mackensie Tuesday and Tuesday night--he did NOT reach out to them. I heard on ESPN signing day that he was actually on the phone to the Tigers at the last minute, just to confirm everything.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

If he was, it was to get his brother in. Blood is blood.

Feb 22, 2013, 3:15 AM [ in reply to Did he REALLY want to be at Clemson? ]

Can't fault him for that.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love his moxy!

Feb 21, 2013, 2:50 PM

We need it bad on D side.

Like his attitude...

Feb 21, 2013, 3:33 PM

For those of you who think he can't start from day one, think back to Justin Miller. I think he came in and started from day one. Bring it Alexander and prove the doubters wrong. GO TIGERS!!!

Re: Front Page Story: Alexander: "I am expecting to come in and be the starter"

Feb 21, 2013, 3:40 PM

lol, and I thought Chad had swag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If ANY of these freshmen have to come in and start DAY 1,

Feb 21, 2013, 4:03 PM

our defense is in trouble and did not advance as much during the off season as much as we had hoped. I could see several of them on the 2 deep to start the season but not starting.

As to the remark above about MA and Florida ? Clemson was not his second choice. Florida could have gotten him in a package deal with his brother(to please his family). Clemson was his only choice to go to by himself.

Alexander is the only one I think will start from day 1

Feb 21, 2013, 4:06 PM

I expect Wiggins, Baker, Kearse to avoid a RS and to crack the 2 deep this year. One of the biggest reasons is that I've heard that Venables does not like the hip flexibility of the DBs that we have on staff already which is the reason we took so many this cycle. He's looking for new blood and he's got it.

Maybe it'll rub off on everyone who isn't this way,***

Feb 21, 2013, 4:06 PM

Re: Alexander is the only one I think will start from day 1

Feb 21, 2013, 4:12 PM

I see Kearse playing Blanks role from last year.

Feb 21, 2013, 4:27 PM

I might even be tempted to Woo Hoo.... Maybe.

Bragging Ain't Bragging if you can back it up.

Feb 21, 2013, 5:24 PM

Now you must put up! Best of luck young man. And keep in mind.....you will make mistakes...it is called LEARNING! As it says in Provers Chapter 3 verse 7.....Lean not to thy own understanding...........! Let the coaches and the teammates make you better! I for one have your back!

Re: Bragging Ain't Bragging if you can back it up.

Feb 21, 2013, 7:03 PM

All-In in everything you do, keep preparing to be the best at what you do. Work smart first, then hard at where you want to be as a player. Continue to be a student of the game and use your God given talent when needed. Knowlegde is always good along w/hard work. Success will always be in your vision and will a be around you. Clemson have miss run stopping, screens and lateral demoslisher, receiver dekeeter, shoutdown, attitude w/ a little swagger types DBs.

This is what we need...

Feb 21, 2013, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Bragging Ain't Bragging if you can back it up. ]

A confident kid who believes in Dabo's system. You think CJ and Sammy came to Clemson thinking they would sit? Heck no. We need guys like these to come in with a chip on their shoulder and challenge the current guys for playing time. This kid could be at another big time program starting while we all wonder what could have been. I've seen MacKensie play and this man means business. Get your popcorn ready because this 2013 team will be something special.

Re: This is what we need...

Feb 22, 2013, 10:50 AM

Exactly!!! There is your first TU and welcome to T-Net....

Feb 22, 2013, 2:13 AM

MACKAL will be a beast, the Tiger SECONDARY is on the rise!!!!!

Calling it right now!!***

Feb 23, 2013, 9:17 AM

Feb 24, 2013, 12:09 PM

If he does indeed start after walking on campus in June he's something special. Hard to imagine that could happen but if it does i'm very glad we'll be facing him in his 1st college game. Doubtful any freshman db will worry Murray or our receivers.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic