Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hood: The word "commitment" has lost its meaning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 77
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hood: The word "commitment" has lost its meaning

Jan 8, 2013, 10:46 AM

Hood: The word "commitment" has lost its meaning

Some college football recruits change their "commitments" like they change their shirts, a sad commentary on the state of football recruiting today. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously...did high school football players even do this

Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 AM

20-25 years ago? I think the whole "commitment" thing is just a big farce created by the recruiting media to enable them to make a "scorecard" for recruiting, thus drawing in viewers/listeners.

I don't think high school players are any less willing to "commit" at this stage than they were years ago. It's just that people are pressuring them to make these ridiculous "commitments".

In the old days it was even worse

Jan 8, 2013, 10:59 AM

Years ago, a Letter of Intent wasn't even binding. Art Heyman signed a LOI to play basketball at UNC. At the last minute, he changed his mind and showed up at Duke. That kind of thing wasn't all that uncommon.

Not long after that, the conferences made LOIs binding, but a player was still able to change his mind and go to a school in a different conference. This lasted until sometime in the '70s when LOIs were made binding throughout D1 sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously...did high school football players even do this

Jan 8, 2013, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Seriously...did high school football players even do this ]

That is a ridiculous excuse for ridiculous behavior. A commitment is exactly that, a commitment. If they do not mean to commit, then don't. It's as simple as that. This is why Dabo tries to talk them out of committing in the first place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if everyone is begging you to commit?

Jan 8, 2013, 11:04 AM

I don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be for the high school players.

Commitments have been made and kept since the beginning

Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 PM

of time in every area of life. Why excuse high school athletes? This is something they should have been taught by their parents.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commitments have been made and kept since the beginning

Jan 8, 2013, 1:10 PM

I was raised that a person should never give his/her word unless that was what they meant. If your word isn't any good, neither is the person giving it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if everyone is begging you to commit?

Jan 8, 2013, 6:47 PM [ in reply to What if everyone is begging you to commit? ]

What if they are? Then just don't commit if you aren't sure. It really is just that simple. Fortunately, we have a coach who tries very hard to get a young man to really know in his soul what he is doing, telling them not to commit if they have a scintilla of doubt. I expect it to get worse, because we now have people making excuses as to why little "Johnny" can't be expected to live up to his word. The problem is just lack of character, and most of that stems back to poor examples and a society that excuses the character failures.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Seriously...did high school football players even do this ]

I really have no problem with the switches, Clemson has gotten plenty of recruits who were committed to other schools. I actually think it is pretty hypocritical when Dabo won't let guys visit other schools yet he will bring in guys who is committed elsewhere.

How do other Clemson fans feel when a recruit is signed here who was committed elsewhere?

It works both ways!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2013, 11:27 AM

I think it is the dishonesty and shadiness about visiting and not the visiting itself that Dabo frowns on.

Really, a chicken fan talking about Dabo being

Dec 30, 2020, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously...did high school football players even do this ]

hypocritical????? Look in the mirror and head on over to FGF.

I'm much like your friend and agree. Dabo seems to be also

Jan 8, 2013, 10:56 AM

I am working hard to pass it down to my children and they know that they do not go against their word without serious consequences. It's easy, don't "commit" until you're sure. No fault or shame in that. It's sad really. Dabo openly admits this behavior and giving children like RN that choice. They are still children, after 4 years in college hopefully they leave with a better understanding and stop being pampered little brats. I digress. Go Tigers!

The punishment for not keeping your word is...

Jan 8, 2013, 4:20 PM

living with a dishonest person, yourself. Before someone can effectively lie to others they must first learn to lie to themselves.

Some of the most miserable people I know fit this profile. The happiest folks I know have something money can't but, integrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The punishment for not keeping your word is...

Jan 8, 2013, 6:50 PM

I wish I could give multiple TU's. You are all over it!

Re: The punishment for not keeping your word is...

Jan 8, 2013, 7:08 PM [ in reply to The punishment for not keeping your word is... ]

U are right but these kids have never known honor or responsibility..their motto is "live off tax payers, refuse to work".. and the president of the USA loves them for it.. he gets their votes!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's

Jan 8, 2013, 10:56 AM

no big deal. So it only stands to reason that getting a commitment in the first place is not that important. I don't know why coaches waste so much time on it or place so much emphasis on it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ding. Forget the "commitments". Let the kids decide

Jan 8, 2013, 10:58 AM

On their own terms.

Actually, I'd be all for that as long as the rules were the

Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 AM

same for everybody and strictly enforced. Recruiting is waaaaay out of hand, and I would favor very limited contact with recruits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think contact with high school players should be

Jan 8, 2013, 11:02 AM

Extremely limited.

Maybe let coaches visit once, to sell their program. Send 'em a few things in the mail. I would say phone calls and texts should be completely out.

I'd be all for it.***

Jan 8, 2013, 11:09 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I think contact with high school players should be

Jan 8, 2013, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I think contact with high school players should be ]

Coach initiated phone calls and texts should not be allowed.

If a player or parent has a question about the University for the coach then that should be fine.

null

It's a little more complicated than that. Commitments

Jan 8, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's ]

determine how hard the recruiters will go after other prospects for the same position. If a school decides they are going to sign 1 - 2 prospects for a position and have verbal 'commitments' from those prospects, how can they continue to recruit that position with integrity? Gee we'd really like you to come here, but we can't offer you a scholarship unless one of these other prospects de-commits. De-commiting hurts our team's ability to recruit with integrity. How can we live up to our commitments if the recruits are not willing to do the same?

Re: It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's

Jan 8, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's ]

Why do they spend so much time on it....is that a serious question. How do you propose that next year's football team get put together and planned for?? This whole process is broken, but could be easily fixed with some straight forward common sense penalties on both sides for backing out.

Re: It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's

Jan 8, 2013, 11:59 AM

When is Clemson going to see that they need to pull out of the acc and get in the sec----good players if given an equal chance of playing in accc and sec are going to choose a sec school------

I am just going by the reaction by many on here who

Jan 8, 2013, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: It doesn't matter when they de-commit, so I've learned; it's ]

downplay the significance of the decommitments we've had, especially the one's yesterday.

"It's not the end of the world."

"No need to panic, we'll be fine."

"We didn't really need them anyway."

"If they don't want to come here, we don't want them!"

And so on. I always thought like you, that coaches target certain players and certain positions for a reason, and spend a great deal of time, energy, and resources to gain and maintain a commitment. I also always thought that once a commitment was made, that our coaches directed the time and resources in other directions, no longer recruiting players for those positions. Foolishly, I, like you, assumed that it would be a huge disappointment for a recruit to back out of a commitment, particularly less than one month before signing day. Not the end of the world, but I figured it hurt. Instead I find out that all of that is apparently not the case.

- H. L. Mencken

David Hood, You're kind of impressing me.

Jan 8, 2013, 10:57 AM

Not only for your stance on the matter, but your eloquence with the written word.

Gone, indeed! The values and character of a bygone era are being supplanted by video games, social media, 10 second soundbites, and an abandonment of the "old ways".

A handshake means nothing these days.

It is a shame.

Re: David Hood, You're kind of impressing me.

Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 AM

There was a really good book written a few years ago by Stephen Covey called the "Speed of Trust". It gave raving examples of how people who were trustworthy were able to get things done because people believed them. I guess I am naive but sometimes I think societies figure things out by seeing bad examples. Maybe our society will turn back to honesty but I have serious doubts.

In defense of some of these kids, though...

Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to David Hood, You're kind of impressing me. ]

I can see how many of them get overwhelmed by the pomp and high pressure tactics that get used on them during these recruiting trips, especially their early ones. Just like car salesmen, coaching staffs don't want a kid to leave campus without committing, and most have learned how to really push for the deal. Then, later on when they've had a chance to really think about it, I can understand the remorse of having been pressured into a verbal commit. Can you really use the "you gave your word", "where's your integrity?" arguments on them when you know darn well you did your best to manipulate a verbal out of a kid who really didn't really have their heart in it in The first place? They're just kids. Granted, there are some recruits that enjoy the drama and media attention, and who throw loyalties around like they're nothing, but I think they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

Its a reflection on society as a whole going down the toilet***

Jan 8, 2013, 10:58 AM

What if some person from an internet site...

Jan 8, 2013, 11:00 AM

Called you three times a day, asking you to make a commitment to what you are going to eat for lunch next Tuesday?

Are you able to commit? If not, does that mean society is going down the toilet?

Huh?

Jan 8, 2013, 11:02 AM

Dont commit if you are not ready, simple as that.

Of course, it's obviously very simple for these kids.

Jan 8, 2013, 11:04 AM

No pressure or anything. Hardly anybody's paying attention to them, I'm sure.

Give me a break, no one is holding a gun to their head

Jan 8, 2013, 11:08 AM

There are PLENTY of kids that dont cave to the pressure.

I don't see that. From what I see,

most of the high school players, at least the ones that are good, make commitments before "signing day".

And the ones with character stick by their commitment.***

I just think that's a broad brush you're painting with there

Jan 8, 2013, 11:12 AM

I'd be careful with that.

I can see that some fans don't think that commitments in

Jan 8, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to And the ones with character stick by their commitment.*** ]

life mean anything. Society of today.

Re: What if some person from an internet site...

Jan 8, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to What if some person from an internet site... ]

What are you smoking?
You are comparing a commitment on what you plan to eat to a commitment to play football for a university, with really serious consequences for both you and the university.
Maybe there is something else wrong with our society???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm saying the commitments are not real...

Jan 8, 2013, 11:07 AM

Not because the players are bad people, but because it's just inappropriate to make such commitments. But they are made to feel like they have to do so.

No they arent. In fact Dabo stresses to kids NOT to.***

I hate to say it, but I don't really believe that.

Jan 8, 2013, 11:11 AM

If he does that, then he's probably the only coach that does that. And that doesn't even include family, friends, high school coaches, media, and fans, all of whom are pressuring the kids to give them some indication.

Re: What if some person from an internet site...

Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to What if some person from an internet site... ]

You must not watch the news.

"Depends on what the meaning of is .. is"

Jan 8, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to What if some person from an internet site... ]

Too much justification and making excuses for people who do not honor their word or live by a greater set of values. The direction of our society has shifted to "me" culture, nothing is bigger than ME. I pray every day that my kids will not adopt nor be sucked into this type of culture as it has become the norm. Honor is a value that reaps rewards well past whatever personal gain you get from having none. It is a problem across all adult ages and that starts at 17 in my opinion. I like that Dabo tries very hard to live values in spite of having a job where the pressure to cave is constant.

Re: Front Page Story: Hood: The word "commitment" has lost its meaning

Dabo is a good man. He has a plan for his players to develop into good men with a great moral compass and to be honorable. I respect that and am proud of that. I hated waking up this morning and seeing we lost both those guys because I believed they could make Clemson a better place but I want the players who are mature enough to make a commitment and stick by it. I think thats how you get true leaders on your team!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's hard to get annoyed with a 17 year old for not

understanding the word "commitment" when the coaches leave schools in the middle of the night for more money. What do you know? Thrusting teenagers into the spotlight causes problems. The appropriate response to all this should be looking at the collegiate recruiting framework, not being disappointed with 17 year olds.

Totally agree. We love to beat our chest about

Jan 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

How terrible the young people always are. The fact is we adults are the example, and we're usually to blame.

An even more appropriate response would be an early signing

Jan 8, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to It's hard to get annoyed with a 17 year old for not ]

Day but it doesn't appear that it will happen. Everyone gets that they will de committ at times but the ones who do it 3 wks before signing day give the others the bad rap. As much of a circus as nkemdiche was, at least he de committed a long time ago. Also, could not fault a kid for de committing if a coach left.

"His promises are as empty as the Ole Miss trophy shelves."

Pure poetry!

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Jan 8, 2013, 11:01 AM

Maybe I am wrong here, but I thought Dabo's policy was not against them taking visits, but that they had to be honest about it. The ones he has cut loose seemed to be not honest with the coaching staff.

You hit on the key point ---

Jan 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

--- a 'commit' to any school is about the same as a 'like' on any social media. It's a way to get attention and start a tweet/FB posting festival. It probably even gets you more phone calls and emails from the media, no?

After all, even when someone doesn't 'decommit', why on earth would they keep telling everyone who asks that their favorite schools are A, B, C, and D??? Why did you commit to A if you still consider B a possibility? Sure, these are young kids, so expecting them to be able to make solid life decisions is a little much. But why even use the 'commit' system? Just let them give you a Facebook like!!!!

Re: You hit on the key point ---

Jan 8, 2013, 11:23 AM

very simple bottom line here.. DO NOT COMMIT unless you are absolutely sure.. If you want to make a lot of visits, then do not commit....Dabo makes it clear if you feel you have to make all of your visits, then simply do not commit to us....fair deal...decommiting makes u look very bad....some of these guys are prima donnas...we do not need that....you do not want to play for Clemson, then go somewhere else.. we do not want you either.....simply said...

Jan 8, 2013, 11:07 AM

David, I agree with you that the world would be a much better place if people stood by their commitments, but alas as you have pointed out that world may have passed us by. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the recruiting system itself. In a simplistic solution, the recruiting window should be shortened and the students should have to sign upon making their commitment (with an out should the coaching situation or sanctions occur at the school to which they committed). The process seems designed to create the kinds of situations that Clemson has experienced this year. It does not make those kids bad people, just misguided.

unfortunately ours cases were empty for 20 years as well until last year

Jan 8, 2013, 11:12 AM

Hopefully we keep adding to last years championship

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah buddy just as Morris. Contract=Committment. Both ways!***

Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 AM

Their Star rating should account for their character (word)

Jan 8, 2013, 11:24 AM

When they begin this ridiculous process of going back on their word, claiming immaturity on their behalf is just reinforcing the behavior by excuse. Coaches laud mature students with character when they are stellar athletes so the recruiting services should follow suit by rating these young men by their actions both on the field and off.

Its a sad commentary on those individuals and their

Jan 8, 2013, 11:28 AM

upbringing. The Nkemdiche, Jenkins and Robinson families should be ashamed of the integrity they have instilled in their sons. The Jenkins family may be worst of all. At least the Nkemdiche family stated from the beginning that they didn't approve of his cimmittment.

Contract = Commitment. Morris=Jenkins. No differnce.***

Jan 8, 2013, 12:52 PM

Re: Contract = Commitment. Morris=Jenkins. No differnce.***

Jan 8, 2013, 3:51 PM

If I understand your post correctly, I want to say that you are completely brain dead, and I apologize for that comment. Have you ever changed jobs with different companies? Have you ever sought after a job which improved your position, ie. moving from a coordinator to a HC job type scenario? If not, then you are either in a family run business or you need to join a union! IF NO OTHER SCHOOL WANTS OUR ASSISTANT COACHES, THEN I HAVE TO WONDER WHY WE HAVE THEM. IT IS UP TO US TO PROVIDE THE ENVIRONMENT AND OPPORTUNITY FOR THEM TO BE SUCCESSFUL SO THEY WILL THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT LEAVING CLEMSON.

A very good example of this and a great quote this week was made by Kirby Smart, DC of Alabama, when questioned about interviewing for HC jobs at other schools, Kirby said, and I paraphrase, "It's not like I wake up every morning trying to leave Alabama." This man wants to be a HC but he has an environment that is pleasing to him both financially and in growth at being in control of the defense at Alabama.

Chad will be a HC soon, but he appears to be really enjoying his job of developing the offense of our team, and in my view, it will be really good next year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2013, 4:25 PM

Have you ever run a company before? If not you are either in a AD postition that makes these brain dead contracts or an attorney that implements them. Excuse me for saying, but you are part of the problem. These one sided contracts where they can leave for little punishment but we have to promise the farm for their services. This is exactly the problem and your thinking feeds the incompetency. Why do contracts? Just tell them to name their price and leave anytime they get ready and you will pay their expenses while they job search. If you are willing to pay and they are willing to stay then great. Shake hands and go year to year, because that is what it is good for anyway, and its all one sided now and under your philosophy always will be. It disrupts recruiting (as you see) and makes the management of the University seem both desparate and incompetent. For you to criticize a young man for looking elsewhere ( whether it be a injury during the season allowing a better starting opportunity or other reason), but allow contracts that not only allow but in some cases encourage their coaches constantly look for a better situation, is the ultimate act of arrogance, and is part of the hypocritical mismanagement of the coaches salaries and incentives that has us in this bidding war for their services. You want to quote other coaches for justifying this behavior is like quoting coorporate CEO's that sit on boards that vote for other CEO salary increases. You my friend feed the frenzy and hope you do not represent Clemson University in anyway. If so, we are screwed!

Jan 8, 2013, 8:48 PM

Thanks for your angry comments and I am sure Obama appreciates you voting for him. First, I never criticized Jenkins for de-committing and would not do so. I do feel the recruiting rules need major changes but they are what they are until that change date. No, I have not run a corporation but did run a manufacturing plant and a sales organization. How about you? All of your ignorant comments about contracts and their implementation are just that, ignorant. What you may wish to do, and how strongly you may believe in it, does not always end up the way you like. There is this other side of the business equation that may have a different view than you and influences that decision. Make all of the bold statements you wish and you will fail because of your ignorance and arrogance. Let me introduce you to something called Supply and Demand. Demand all you want and without a supply, you fail. I can not prove this but I would be willing to wager you that Chad Morris's contract has a "no lateral move" provision in it. Would you also deny a potential coordinator the right to interview and accept a HC job? If so, good luck on finding a coordinator. Lastly, the same rules of Supply and Demand apply to the salaries of coaches, etc. What a coach makes is a deal between him and his employer and it does not bother me how much he makes. If he is not worth the money, then don't offer it and go in a different direction. If he is worth it then he will find a job, just not with you. This economic thing works all the time. You should try it. As to us "being screwed" by paying competitive salaries, if you want to play big boy games you have to have big boys playing and coaching. It is not difficult to understand if you remove arrogance from the process.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2013, 10:01 AM

Not angry at all. Frustrated talking to an ignorant
person but not angry. Also, I have owned and operated a company for the last 12 years. Last year being our best ever. Before then I ran a large organization for the Germans here in the US. I had a controller like you that did not care about cost. He never questioned his cost and alway thought spending more gave better results. I fired him. If that logic worked we would not have lost to SC (last 4 years) and FSU this year. We spend alot more on our coaching staff than do they. Spending is not the answer. You belong in Washington. That is their philosophy! I'm done wih you.

This is coming from a society where we can't even stayed

Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

This is coming from a society where we can't even stayed married to each other. And that's someone you supposedly love and made a "commitment" in front of your friends and family.

These kids are 17-18 and some of the higher recruits are treated like gods.

At 18, I wasn't committed to anything, things change like the wind. I think these coaches pressure these guys into doing something early.

This is why I don't even count a recruit until I see them running down the hill.

Even then, some leave, dropout, smoke weed, whatever...

Heck at 34, I'm not committed to much. Let alone a 4 year commitment.

Broadcast Talent. Show Host. PxP and Color Guy. Believer. As seen/heard on @nflnetwork @espn @foxsports @cbssports @1055theroar

It's not just high schools kids. Pro players renegotiate

Jan 8, 2013, 11:38 AM

their contracts all the time. I'm not saying it's right.

I know I signed for "only" $1 million per year, but I didn't know I was going to have a great season...so I'm not going to honor that contract that I signed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A greater threat to society is grown men judging

Jan 8, 2013, 11:50 AM

16 and 17 year olds on the internet because they commit to go to college one place and then change their minds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great read***

Jan 8, 2013, 12:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2013, 12:21 PM

David,
The line regarding promises as 'empty as the Ole Miss trophy shelves' made me laugh!! great writing!!

It's like a law that isn't enforced.....

Jan 8, 2013, 12:22 PM

If there is no penalty for breaking it then what's the point of making the law. There is no action taken against a kid when he breaks his "commitment" to a school therefore it will keep on happening. It's all about the drama and drawing attention to themselves these days. I miss the days when a handshake and a man's word was enough. It's sad that some kids' morals are that screwed up. But back to what I said earlier, until there is some punishment for doing the wrong thing, it will continue. Kinda like those idiots that ride in the left lane and are not passing anyone. That used to be enforced also. Get your slow butt over if you are not passing anyone. Go Tigers !! Get the ones that really want to be a part of something special. Clemson is coming !!

Combo of Greed, Big Eyes, How raised, No respect, etc.

Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 PM

Saying...it's the world we're in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo Told It From Day One.

Jan 8, 2013, 12:52 PM

{DO NOT COMMIT to Clemson this early if you are truly not sure and if you want to take other visits.} So why in the world are they committing so early, only to change their mind later? And why don't they just wait until later on to commit, after they have been to all the places that they want to visit,....then make their choice?

David, a lot of the blame needs to go to the outlets/gurus

Jan 8, 2013, 1:00 PM

that cover recruiting and how they do it. Doing it in a way that puts these kids on a pedestal that they should not be on and giving them a forum/power that isn't warranted for a high school football player.

Re:Exactly. They all are trying to make a buck off it.***

Jan 8, 2013, 3:18 PM

Well written; unfortunately, these recruits lack the mental

Jan 8, 2013, 2:26 PM

ability to read this and understand you're insulting them...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re Why waste time covering this stuff?***

Jan 8, 2013, 3:16 PM

That's nice. I like the part where you scold

Jan 8, 2013, 3:50 PM

the high schoolers for not having integrity to stick to their commitment. I completely missed the part where you questioned your part in the whole process though...

Jan 8, 2013, 3:54 PM

David, you hit on a great subject today and did an admirable job of dissecting it and explaining it. Thanks

The problem, as I see it, is twofold: the pressure upon

Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 PM

these young athletes exerted by the schools and the accompanying media hype, which has turned it into a three ring circus. I believe the NCAA should address the problem immediately, perhaps, by disallowing recruiting until an athlete enters his junior year. Secondly, the athletes should be allowed to sign immediately following their junior years; then, all other schools should be required to adopt a hands-off policy. Thirdly, recruiting contacts via any and all means should be limited during the junior and senior years with disallowance of verbals. Signing should be moved to early January, immediately after the NC, and lastly, there should be strict limits on the number signed.

I tend not to get overworked on all the recruiting hoopla, because the controls are not in place by the NCAA to prevent the problems now occuring; we are dealing with young teenagers; and finally, our staff is paid to recruit...I'm not.

It's not just football. It's everywhere. People make a

Jan 8, 2013, 4:44 PM

"commitment" to get a pet and then when they decide they don't want the pet anymore, send it to the pound.

Let's not even get started on "commitment" and marriage these days.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Clemson coaches learned it Mon Morning? This has happened

Jan 8, 2013, 8:36 PM

well before Mon Morning (this year). I'm pretty sure our coaches already knew about these kind of things, LOL.

Replies: 77
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic