Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Louisville
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,463

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Louisville

Nov 28, 2012, 11:28 AM

Louisville

Louisville
This morning the Atlantic Coast Conference presidents and chancellors voted to add Louisville to replace Maryland, who is leaving for the Big Ten.

I am not sure Louisville's addition will save the league. I am not sure what it will mean to the future of Notre Dame entering th

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction.

Nov 28, 2012, 11:36 AM

It separates two contrasting statements. It's used to associate two disparate thoughts.

What it doesn't ever, ever do though, is begin a sentence. For example, "But I do know that Louisville was the best choice."

That sentence Mickey...well, I'm afraid it's not a sentence at all.

It's just a blog...do grammar rules really matter in a blog?***

Nov 28, 2012, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly not.***

Nov 28, 2012, 11:40 AM

Re: Clearly not.***

Nov 29, 2012, 9:26 AM

Also, Clemson and FSU flexed their muscles, not its muscles.

to some, not so much to others

Nov 28, 2012, 11:41 AM [ in reply to It's just a blog...do grammar rules really matter in a blog?*** ]

i drinks beer with the latter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: to some, not so much to others

Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM

But the spelling is correct or is it?...

hey, i'm a lil busy tossin back a few cold ones with the not

Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM

so grammar guys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...

Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction. ]

The Oxford English Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary style guide say you can. It has been done since people were speaking Old English. Some authors who fancied themselves grammarians did not like the style of using conjunctions to begin sentences and started this "myth". In most respected grammar books and style guides you will not find any rules for or against starting sentences with conjunctions. But you can take that for what it is worth, I am only an English teacher.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Take this for what it's worth also.

Nov 28, 2012, 12:33 PM

"A sentence beginning with and or but will tend to draw attention to itself and its transitional function. Writers should examine such sentences with two questions in mind: (1) would the sentence and paragraph function just as well without the initial conjunction? (2) should the sentence in question be connected to the previous sentence? If the initial conjunction still seems appropriate, use it."

In this case, (1) is definitely true, and if (2) is true, it should not be the start of a new paragraph.

Re: Take this for what it's worth also.

Nov 28, 2012, 1:08 PM

Give me a break, not an English lesson.

Nope

Nov 28, 2012, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Take this for what it's worth also. ]

The paragraph before he was stating what he was not sure of. This paragraph he was stating what he does know. That shows a contrast. That is what but does. Please do not copy and paste a uncited internet style guide and try to pass them off as grammar rules. I have a class to teach now.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Both of you should just shut the blog up.

Nov 28, 2012, 4:43 PM

Stand by your computers. I hear that a ticker take parade is scheduled for Friday near Bowman Field.

can we have a discussion on poetic/artistic license?

Nov 28, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

i also enjoy the story told by sam watkins about the friend that called turtles "cooter".

when reminded that cooter wasn't in the dictionary, the gentleman said he had as much right to make a dictionary as did mr. webster.

it's all so confusing.

Is that Cooter Green?

Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 PM

Naw, it's just the way the light shines on it.

sunlight, moonlight? depends on the time of day i guess and

Nov 28, 2012, 12:43 PM

if it's wearing a red sweater since those 2 colors cancel each other out.

now this is sit down have a beer good convo.

Re: Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction.

Nov 28, 2012, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction. ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true.

Nov 28, 2012, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction. ]

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/conjunctions

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction.

Nov 28, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Interesting word, "but". You see, it's a conjunction. ]

It is not a perfect world even in journalism as it is not in football either.

Too little, too late, IMO.***

Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 AM

Conference Perspective

Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM

Good points but I don't buy into the whole conference strength having anything to do with Clemson football success. ACC generally sucked in football the 80's but we had a tough and solid football program. We currently play 2 SEC schools out of conference and playing 2 better ACC schools like FSU and VT and now possibly ND makes us plenty challenged. I only care about this if Dabo uses it somehow to bring pride, aggression and toughness back to our program - no matter who we recruit. We will not be relevant until we are feared.

I agree so long as the conference doesn't fall apart. We

Nov 28, 2012, 5:27 PM

don't need to be in a great football conference to be successful. Dominating a mediocre conference works fine.

Re: Conference Perspective

Nov 29, 2012, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Conference Perspective ]

I think there's a different paradign now at least partially due to TV revenue. Conferences have the ability to negotiate better TV revenues to some degree with stronger football programs that will draw national interest.

Another thing is that Clemson fans today remember our success in the 80s as greater than it actually was. Most of those late 80s teams were either at the upper end of the top 10 or just outside the top 10. IMO, that's right about where Clemson is this season, just outside the top 10. We did not go to any BCS level bowls in the 80s other than the 1981 Orange Bowl. We won the ACC without FSU, Miami, or Virginia Tech. Again, that's exactly where we are this year. We won 10 games and are good enough to make a quality bowl game just below the BCS level. The other thing that made fans happy in the late 80s is that we played quality opponents like Oklahoma and Penn St. and won most of our bowl games.

And they have the must see Kentucky Derby......

Nov 28, 2012, 12:46 PM

across the street from the football stadium-neat town

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sporting News says..........

Nov 28, 2012, 12:56 PM

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2012-08/firstand10/story/college-football-realignment-maryland-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

Louisville is a cool town

Nov 28, 2012, 1:36 PM

Go to 4th Street Live before and after games. Pretty cool place.

I used to go there on business quite a bit

Nov 28, 2012, 1:45 PM

nice people and a great town. Easy airport to get in and out.

Why is Louisville a better fit than ACC charter member UMD?

Nov 28, 2012, 8:39 PM

Also, why do you think Louisville would placate the football schools?Louisville got blown out by Syracuse and lost to UConn.

They did beat Cincinnati in OT and UNC by 5 at home.

They did beat Pitt 45-35 I guess.

It just gets me all the complaining about the two great additions of Pitt and Syracuse and the whining about WVU. Couple this with saying what a great fit Louisville is and it starts to smell. It seems to be based on Louisviile and WVU seeming more southern-like.

Syracuse killed Louisville this year and WVU last year in football, though both were in the dome.

Pitt killed VT and took ND to triple OT on the road and got robbed.

How would WVU do against Pitt and Syrause this year?

The ad nauseum hate against the ACC gets tiring, especially when it's based on BS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,463
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic