Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 99
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts

Nov 26, 2012, 11:47 AM

Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts

David Hood gives some observations on the Clemson-South Carolina game and the state of the two programs. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what makes David Hood think he has the final say???

Nov 26, 2012, 11:51 AM

good luck with that !!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He does'nt have final say. He has...

Nov 26, 2012, 11:58 AM

...ONE say. Just like you and I do. And it carries about the same mount of weight as yours and mine. So what?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Start your own web site and you can say it too! **********

Nov 26, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to what makes David Hood think he has the final say??? ]

Re: what makes David Hood think he has the final say???

Nov 27, 2012, 10:50 PM [ in reply to what makes David Hood think he has the final say??? ]

And so you have the final say? By what right or depth of knowledge?

Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts

Nov 26, 2012, 12:01 PM

What are YOU smoking? We lost by 10 points, with Xavier Brewer dropping 2 ints that were definitely catchable. Two take aways from their offense and more chances for our offense equals a win in my book. Got beat in all three phases of the game soundly? Hahahahaha, put the alcohol down. You guys are hilarious. We didn't play WAKE. It was a good SC team, who's averaging OVER 27 points a game against better defenses, but we got beat in that phase? AND dropped 2 ints? Whatever.

Not clear that 2 more Brewer picks would've changed outcome.

Nov 26, 2012, 12:52 PM

The way our O failed to move the ball, it's not clear to me that 2 more Brewer picks would have changed the outcome. Don't forget that SCar was up by 2 scores at the end of the game and chose to grind the clock rather than run up the score. They could have kicked a chip-shot field goal at the end of the game but mercifully chose not to make it a 13-point win.

Anyway, it's Bowdenesque excuse-making to say that *IF* this play or that play had gone another way, we might have won. They made the plays. We didn't. That's the difference between the good teams and the pretenders.

Re: Not clear that 2 more Brewer picks would've changed outcome.

Nov 27, 2012, 11:19 PM

Right!

Nov 26, 2012, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts ]

We were beaten in all three phases. I don't think you have a problem seeing we were beaten on special teams (several long returns for them and nothing to speak of from us) and on offense (we got away from a successful run game and didn't make big plays and third down conversions). But if you think we didn't get beaten on defense (it was a slow, methodical death, we made their QB look like Johnny football) then you must have taken potty breaks most of the second half when SCar was on offense. The plays were there to be made, but we did't make them really in any of the three phases.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 4:09 PM

I would agree with that. But my point is that their defense didn't "beat" our offense. WE beat ourselves. Nuk dropped 3 balls? That has nothing to do with SC. That's Nuk. He hasn't dropped that many all year. I'm not saying we would have definitely won if Brewer makes those INT's, but those were scoring drives. He makes those INT's, at the very least gives us the ball back and lets us take time off the clock while the obvious is that they wouldn't score on the drive. Twice. I agree though, they made the plays, and we didn't. I just don't think it was that they were "beating" us as much as we were "beating" ourselves.

Nov 27, 2012, 11:28 PM

We did not beat ourselves. They beat us physically in every phase of the game. The game was not nearly as close as the score would indicate. They dominated us physically---with their 2nd string quarterback and 3rd string running back. It is what it is.

Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts ]

You realy don't get it. We are are a physically weak and soft team. Our players are really being let down by Dabo's stubborn refussal to acknowledge that our strength program is awful. Has been for years. Back in the day, we took pride in announcing our intention to be the strongest team in the ACC, and one of the strongest teams in the country. Do you ever hear this mentioned anymore? Hell no. I'm sure Batson is a nice guy, but he's way past it as any kind of effeftive stength coach. It all atarts in the weight room. That's how Danny Ford consistently won with 2 and 3 star players. And, he made the first team offense scrimmage against the first team defense. Now, apparently that is not politically corect. But Batson,nice guy that he is, will remain and nothing is going to change. Dabo apparently learned very little from his experience at Alabama. And, we'll lose to Carolina next year---because we'll still have Batson here, and still have poor player development. It has nothing do with confence. Has anyone looked at Notre's Dames player latly?

Great summary. Nailed it!***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great summary. Nailed it!***

Nov 27, 2012, 11:31 PM

Thamks. It's great to share reaity with someone.

Nov 26, 2012, 12:14 PM

The truth hurts___but all said,it is the truth***

Final say

Nov 26, 2012, 12:16 PM

If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts, Clemson would play for the BCS title every year.

This year is leaps and bounds above last year's losses to NCSU and GT. A win in a bowl game would set the stage for a big year in 2013.

Lineman need to be the focus of our recruiting efforts. For the fourth year, our lineman looked and played like school yard kids compared to the men on the SCAR line.

Wars are won in the trenches.

Great year topped off yet again with a loss to SCAR.

Offense went one dimensional when we still had the lead. Defense was used by Thompson and Davis. And we still had a shot if we can catch the ball.

Chad should have ran the ball till they stopped it and used Watkins and Hopkins. They were only placeholders for much of the game.

Re: Final say

Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 PM

Recruit who you will. If you don't give them a map to wth weight room it's immaterial.

One big disagreement

Nov 26, 2012, 12:17 PM

The recent recruiting has been way too focused on big offensive players. Backs and ends. Not even enough on linemen. And less on key defensive players. Clearly Swinney feels they've built up on the O side now, especially at QB and other positions, so they are heavily focused on defense. But will they get the right players? After this game, for example, are some commits and others now less impressed??

It may be another year before we really have some of the right stuff defensively. The good news: Playing UGA will help a lot in getting the team set for the seasons to come.

Re: One big disagreement

Nov 27, 2012, 11:35 PM

Not as long as Batson's here. Forget it.

We no be too deep after all.***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:18 PM

And a point about the offensive play

Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM

I am equally angry at Boyd and Morris. Boyd has this weird quirk where he seems to get paralyzed after some heat comes his way in big games. Morris called him a concrete deer last year. It may be worsened by Morris' play calls. After all, besides running more, why didn't Morris even try to mix it up even more with a series or two of no huddle and some quick bang-bang football. One of the advantages we gave SC was the chance to read and predict and play to plan.

Re: And a point about the offensive play

Nov 27, 2012, 11:38 PM

Respectfully, I think you miss the point. Our players are not strong and big enough. This all starts or ends in the weight room.

Nov 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

David, what you say is true but unfortinutely it is not what we want to hear. We certainly have to get bigger, better, stronger linemen on both sides of the ball and we have to have a dominant defensive player that can wreck some havoch on opponents o. Until we can do that unfortunately we will have to live with what we had this year. 10 & 2 is not all that bad but not beating top ranked teams is.

Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM

Agree.

DJCANNON39

Dec 1, 2012, 8:54 AM

ive sat here and read everything youve written. All you do is say its batsons fault. Id like to know what qualifications you have to evaluate a strength coach? Telling everyone on Tigernet your opinion is going to make everyone understand and somehow change what you want? Im curious to know your background in the strength and conditioning field, because i certainly know mine.

One stat that I'd be curious to see...

Nov 26, 2012, 12:27 PM

...if anyone has access to the numbers and time to do it:

A breakdown of Scar's yardage on each down. How many yards did USC gain on first down, second down, third down, and why not fourth down too.

It seemed to me like we moved them backwards on first and second down a lot only to give up a 3rd and 16, 3rd and 19, etc. Over and over and over again. It was like they were playing cat and mouse...maybe even going backwards on purpose just to get our hopes up and then crush them on every single 3rd down. Quarterback scramble on 3rd and 19? Ouch!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 PM

You touched on it some.......but the lack of adjustments by the offensive staff did not help things. There were no quick screens, no help on Clowney, no draws and like you said they totally abandoned the running game. Blame the defense but Mr 1.3 million had a hand in this too!!!

Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 PM

Was it Tajh Boyd, or was it coach Morris the deer in the head lighs this time around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morris

Nov 26, 2012, 8:16 PM

is not ready for prime time. All this talk about him being a head coach is bit premature. He's good, but he still has some maturing to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts ]

No. Our Ol, which was totally overpowered.

great post...there is definitely a gap between the programs

Nov 26, 2012, 12:47 PM

and it's just gotten wider since Dabo and Steve came on board.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, the gap started once they changed S&C leadership.***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:54 PM

but who's keeping score....batson is a nice man***

Nov 26, 2012, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree and it's only going to get worse until we do

Nov 26, 2012, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Actually, the gap started once they changed S&C leadership.*** ]

you could see they were stronger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From 1998-2008 under Batson, we went 9-2 against SCar.

Nov 26, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Actually, the gap started once they changed S&C leadership.*** ]

What changed in 2009? By the way, So Car lost their S&C Coordinator to Penn State early this year and still beat us.

guess who got hired in 2009?? Craig Fitzgerald***

Nov 26, 2012, 1:41 PM

And he left for PSU and, we still lost.

Nov 26, 2012, 1:52 PM

Batson was 9-2 prior to 2009 (when Dabo took over as permanent Head Coach)

you do realize S&C programs can continue after a coach

Nov 26, 2012, 3:04 PM

leaves and his program/philosophy are in place right?

Do you realize that everybody in every occupation at the

Nov 26, 2012, 7:26 PM

very least tweak things to fit their style and philosophy? From my experience, that is absolute.

holy chit, I agree with you?? Wow. S&C staff needs to

Nov 26, 2012, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Actually, the gap started once they changed S&C leadership.*** ]

go immediately!

I mainly think we need a better strength and conditioning coach, plus we have to recruit better dbs. Travis Blanks is pretty good back there, but that's about it, don't think any of the others would even start for UNC or Miami.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 2:14 PM

We are putting quite a few guys over the last few years into NFL, if our strength and conditioning coaches were not excellent those guys would not be playing at the next level.
They would have to find jobs with their college degree.
Do you think Duane Allen was not ready to play in the NFL because his strength and conditioning was inadequate? GilChrist? Spiller? Ford? Until the last few years we were not recruiting DTs or 300# OL! We were recruiting DEs and turning them into DTs. We were recruiting mainly 250# OL. Swinney has changed that But we are young and not 'full grown men' YET! We have some but no depth of quality or experience.

I am also puzzled that Clemson stopped running the ball. The question is...what was the coaches smoking? Both Ellington and McDowell were doing a great job there. Until SC stopped it...we should have run it, and run it, and run it.

Why no TE's (or FB) helping with Clowney and then dropping in the flats? Anyone with access to tapes should have known to do that.

Defense...sorry but there were some things that needed to be done. Can we not teach out DB's to properly jam at the line? We played scared...gave them about 8 yards off the ball...and then backed up when the ball was snapped...how many times did Ace get a quick 5 yards and the DB had to come up and 'react' to him making a football move? We did the same against Fl. State. Instead of seeing if our guys could contend (man up with CB's with safety over the top) we gave them yards.

And for noone to be in the middle of the field during those 3rd down runs is sad...I mean they only did that to us the last 2 years (I'm sure they have tape on that too).

Off season we need to focus on the lines and teach those DB's to JAM!

Nov 26, 2012, 12:57 PM

I wondered where the plays to the TE were also.

And defensive backs, if you let Ace Sanders look like an all american, you suck. 'Cos he does.

Not bad summary, pretty well said

Nov 26, 2012, 1:04 PM

But to give The Chad a pass is goin' too easy on him. You even spent a segment of your article acknowledging the O didn't produce when it had chances. I did not see the same offensive X's and O's and screens and game planning and ajustments that I saw against FSU.

Perhaps too much talk of other job offers got him distracted - I hope not. But until somebody gives me a better reason for the vanilla play calling, that is what I'll have to believe. And when do we get some "New York" in our journalists who aren't afraid to ask the tough questions of our highly paid coaches? We're too nice down here.

again, it's because we're in the ACC, horsecrap!!

Nov 26, 2012, 1:12 PM

Come on!! We've been in the ACC a long time!! Quit with blaming anybody but the leaders!! Dabo never acts like this is a big game! His payback comes regardless of this game!! We'll go to a bowl and face a tougher opponent and he'll lose that too! Why? Because that's the Dabo era!! He can't win bowl games!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

The defense seemed just fine to me until...

Nov 26, 2012, 11:30 AM

the three-and-outs started late in the 2nd quarter all with great field position. Score points there and it's a totally different game.

CU exposed as fraud AGAIN. Played 2 good teams. Lost to BOTH

Nov 26, 2012, 1:26 PM

Clemson is still a soft, fringe-Top-25 team. The ACC is just so awful that Dabo looks artificially good with his 10-win seasons, Atlantic crowns, and ACC title. When Clemson plays good non-con teams (like SCar & WVU) Clemson gets its butt whupped. Heck, even decent non-con teams like USF beat us. It’s sad that the administration and the Dabo-worshippers grade Dabo against a pathetic and weakening ACC, rather than using a national yardstick.

Dabo is now 0-6 versus non-con teams that finished in the AP Top 25 (assuming SCar finishes the season ranked). That's ZERO for six. Bowden was 1-8 (only beating Tennessee in the Peach Bowl). That's 1-14 over the Bowden/Dabo era. Clemson has been a pretender since Danny left but the coach-worshippers lap up this dog food like it's filet mignon.

Beating up on a weak ACC schedule lulls Clemson’s fans and administrators into a false sense of greatness that comes crashing down when Clemson plays good non-con teams.

If we played in the SEC and got beat half the time, the administration couldn't justify hiring and giving $7.5M buyouts to upper-mediocre coaches like Dabo.

Traditionally weak SCar hired a HOF, national championship coach. Traditionally strong Clemson hired a WR coach. And people are surprised that we lost 4 straight to SCar-- even when their QB & star RB are out in Death Valley?

Dabo (like Bowden before him) fails to recruit and develop OL & DL, so Clemson gets its butt whupped by real football teams. It's disgusting to watch our linemen get pushed around-- especially by smaller guys. Dabo needs to replace Batson immediately.

Lots of Kool-aid drinking fans complained that the computers were wrong to rate FSU & Clemson lower than the humans ranked them, but FSU & Clemson proved the computers are right about how weak the ACC is.

It's sad that Clemson's administration and fans put up with this continued upper-mediocrity. I want Clemson to return to the Ford-era days of being able to go toe-to-toe with the big boys and win about half of those games, not just patting ourselves on the back for beating weak ACC teams. Winning the WAC or the ACC or the Sun Belt but then getting beat by anybody good is just too low of an expectation for this once-proud football school.

truth hurts***

Nov 26, 2012, 1:41 PM

Re: CU exposed as fraud AGAIN. Played 2 good teams. Lost to BOTH

Nov 26, 2012, 2:26 PM [ in reply to CU exposed as fraud AGAIN. Played 2 good teams. Lost to BOTH ]

Dabo has been recruiting quality at DT and OL but they are sophomores and freshmen. The problem was the lack of recruiting both under Bowden and a very small 1008 class further depleted by career ending injuries.
Our DTs are all Sophomores and Freshmen. We have one Senior DE the rest are sophomores and freshman... I think if we add a true pass rush DE in this class or 2, this will be one of the best DLs in the country by 2014 maybe even next year.
Nothing wrong with Batson... if it was the previous quys would not be making NFL rosters.
South Carolina has 2 top 3 round NFL draft picks this year in Taylor and Jeridau possibly 2 next year in Sutton and Cloney! We have one Senior and no juniors and our one senior will need to be fortunate to be drafted.

Despite small '08 class, many NFL skill players, not OL/DL

Nov 26, 2012, 3:04 PM

Our linemen regularly get pushed around by smaller guys, and even our receivers get jammed by stronger DBs. Our S&C program stinks.

Clemson puts very few linemen in the NFL-- especially interior OLs. Currently there are 2 interior OLs in the NFL, Hairston & Richardson-- neither of whom start. By comparison, SCar has 4 interior OLs in the NFL. Bama & LSU have 5 each. Wisconsin has 7.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/c

That small 2008 class was by Dabo's choice. Ford took 2 star

Nov 26, 2012, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: CU exposed as fraud AGAIN. Played 2 good teams. Lost to BOTH ]

kids and made them ballers, Dabo needs every 4 and 5 star player he can get just to win against crappy ACC teams. Dabo decided to hold those schollies for later, so using that small class as an excuse is sheer stupity. It's just more excuse making for Dabo's ineptness and incompetence.

Give it a Rest already...

Nov 26, 2012, 3:05 PM [ in reply to CU exposed as fraud AGAIN. Played 2 good teams. Lost to BOTH ]

Had Dabo landed Clowney, Clemson wins that game Saturday night. That is the difference. Everything else is jello.

It was a 3 point game until 4 minutes to go in the game. We had no pass rush. A player like Clowney is a difference maker. Without him, SCar doesn't win.

Sure, our offensive line is not Alabama's, but I don't get why you won't acknowlege the improvement over the last 3 years in the OL development.

We have 11 seniors on the entire team.

I hate losing to SCar, everyone does.

But good grief, Dabo has gone 20-6 over the past two years. Who else could we get in all seriousness that would have coached to a different outcome the last two years? I bet Tennessee would trade places with us in a heartbeat. Auburn? Hell yes. Those athletic programs succumbed to fans like you, and coaching carousels have led to "septic tank" football programs. Contrary to popular belief, we are not Alabama. Nick Saban isn't waiting for our call. Neither is Jon Gruden. Pete Carroll isn't walking through that door. Hell you probably wanted Mike Leach a few years ago. Look at that dumpster fire at Washington State.

Be very, very careful what you wish for.

It's not the 80s, Clemson is not Alabama, and we can't just bring in a coach and go to a national championship. Dabo is building a winning program that will be sustained for years if you will let him. Yes we need to get tougher. Give Venables a chance. I think the OL is tougher than it has been with Caldwell at the helm. We are in the running for more 4 and 5 star defensive talent than we have ever been. The 2013 class will address needs we have on defense.

We lost the top 2 safties in the 2009 class when Bowden left (1 was holloman). How would last saturday have been if those guys were back there?

If we win the bowl game against LSU, UGA, or another SEC team this will be considered a season worthy of Gamecock "5th place, 11 win rings" in Columbia, but not here. We've been there before. Frank Howard lost 5 in a row to South Carolina also. The field is named after him, and a little rock too.

Quit living in the past, Dabo is the coach, and even though I know 10-2 is not going to satisfy you, it is not easy to win 10 games, cupcakes or no cupcakes. SCar beat Clemson and UGA, the rest of their wins are horrible. If Clemson wins the bowl game this will be a successful season in my eyes.

You would rather go 8-4, 7-5 and beat the coots every 3 years, though. I get it, and know your mentality. My Brother in law has it.

Just so you know, Danny beat up on a really, really bad ACC and horrible SCar squads during the 80's. But we split with UGA and won most of our bowl games. Dabo will get there.

Step back from the ledge. Contrary points are welcome. I am not a "pumper", but I am a realist and see what is developing in pickens county. Clemson will be a sustained winning program under Dabo.

Very good post.***

Nov 26, 2012, 3:12 PM

Stop making excuses. Dabo is 0-6 vs noncon Top 25 final poll

Nov 26, 2012, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Give it a Rest already... ]

You say, *IF* we had won the recruting battle for Clowney, et al, we would have won.

I say Dabo lost the recruiting battle to a HOF, national championship coach that Clemson could have hired.

I say that *IF* SCar hadn't lost their starting QB & Lattimore, they would have beaten us even worse.

I expect us to beat SCar every year. I just want to see us be the type of team that can win half its games against good non-con teams (like the non-con teams that finish in the AP Top 25). Danny was 5-7 against such teams (1 win away from being 50-50). Back then Clemson could play with ANYBODY. Under Dabo, Clemson is 0-6 against non-con final AP Top 25. Under Dabo, Clemson is a fraud. But enjoy your 10 cupcakes.

I just hope we don't have to play a good bowl opponent.

Clemson is a great place to coach. If SCar can hire a HOF, national championship coach at the sewer, Clemson could have hired Spurrier or others.

Typo: I DON'T expect us to beat SCar every year.***

Nov 26, 2012, 4:25 PM

Re: Stop making excuses. Dabo is 0-6 vs noncon Top 25 final poll

Nov 26, 2012, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Stop making excuses. Dabo is 0-6 vs noncon Top 25 final poll ]

Danny won an ACC without FSU, VT, Miami, BC, or GT.

He lost plenty to Maryland, Duke, UNC, etc. Hell he went 0-2-1 against Boston College.

He beat WVU, Oklahoma, Penn State, Stanford, Nebraska. He lost to Baylor and Minnesota in bowl games.

He was 4-4-1 against UGA from 1979-1986. The UGA teams he beat were 10-2, 7-4, 8-4, 9-3. Good wins. Not great wins.

His teams were notorious for losing a brainfart game. 1989 we lost to Duke and GT. He was 6-5 against NC State. 6-4-1 against Maryland.

But as I stated, Danny Ford is not walking back on the sidelines. I loved those days, and loved danny. But times have changed, and we need to move on.

Re: Stop making excuses. Dabo is 0-6 vs noncon Top 25 final poll

Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 PM

I don't expect Clemson to win the ACC (which includes FSU, VT, et al) as often as Danny, but I expect Clemson to be in the mix and win occassionally. Dabo achieved that, thanks in large part to winning the lowest Sagarin-ranked ACC in over a decade and thanks in large part to playing FSU at Clemson with FSU's QB and several key starters missing.

I don't expect Clemson to beat a much-improved SCar as often as Danny did, but I expect Clemson to be competitive, winning at least half. Fail.

I don't expect Clemson to never get upset. But I expect Clemson to upset teams as often as it gets upset. Dabo is a pathetic 3-10 in upset games. Fail.

I expect Clemson to be able to win about half of its games against AP Top 25 Final poll, like Danny did (going 5-7 or 1 win away from 50-50). Dabo going 0-6 against AP Top 25 Final poll is pathetic (just like Bowden going 1-8 was pathetic). It says that Clemson is a pretender that can't hang with the big boys.

I just want Clemson to be one of the big boys. I guess that means that I don't get it and I'm stupid and my expectations unrealistic.

Actually had there been replay back then Ford would have

Nov 26, 2012, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Stop making excuses. Dabo is 0-6 vs noncon Top 25 final poll ]

been over 50/50. We lost at least 2 of those games to bad calls involving TDs/fumbles on the goal line late in the game. 9-1-1 and 9-1-1 should have been 10-1 and 10-0-1. That alone would have made him 7-5.

Also, his record would have been even better because back then there was no Top 25, it was the Top 20 then and we beat some teams that just missed the final Top 20 that would have been in the top 25 based on votes received.

To me, finishing outside the top 20 is not success. The top 25 is just more watering down of the system like a 12th game and a lot more bowl games, more teams in the NCAA tourney, etc. so coaches can pad their resume and slap lipstick on less than stellar seasons in the name of job security. It's sorta like union protectionism.

Nov 26, 2012, 2:05 PM

We have 11 senior and 10 juniors on our roster, South Carolina has 12 seniors and 5 juniors on their defense. 10 seniors and 7 juniors on offense.
Next year we will have a lot of juniors.... We lose one senior from OL and one from DL. We will be improved in the trenches next year both in depth and experience. If our recruiting hold its course we will also have some upgrades in talent on the DL, with this year's redshirted OL I think we will have and some talent upgrade as well..
I am very optimistic fot the next 3 years.
One thing not to overlook is clowney had fresh legs having sat out against Wofford, most of our Oline played 100+ snaps last week. We should have played more of the backups against NCSt. Maybe we should schedule a cupcake before we play an SEC team, like UGa, UF, and SC does before playing a rivalry game!

I get your pt,but nc st is a cupcake and if we had a d that

Nov 26, 2012, 2:15 PM

Could slam they door, we could have rested our online

10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games

Nov 26, 2012, 2:34 PM

The Kool-aid crowd has been saying that Clemson has improved because we didn't "pull a Clemson" by losing to a team that we should have beaten. That came crashing down with a home loss to a 4-point SCar underdog. (And I think the point spread would have been more than a TD if gamblers had known SCar's starting QB would be out.) Clemson lost by 10 but it would have been 13 except that Spurrier mercifully ran out the clock instead of kicking a chip-shot field goal in the closing minutes.

In previous years, when Clemson "pulled a Clemson" and lost to underdogs (like GT or NCSU last year), it was generally to a decent team. For example, last season, GT and NCSU were both decent, upset-capable, 8-win teams. This season, NCSU has 7 wins (including 2 cupcakes and UConn), while GT has 6 wins (and will likely end up with a losing season). The only other 6-win AQ teams that we beat were Duke & VT. Clemson didn't even play anybody capable of pulling an upset until SCar rolled into town.

This is the most hollow 10-win season in Clemson history. But I'm sure that the AD and the Dabo-worshippers will run around pretending that Clemson is on the rise and touting another "10-win, Atlantic-co-championship" season.

Re: 10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games

Nov 26, 2012, 3:16 PM

Razz, why don't you become a SC fan?

Re: 10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games

Nov 26, 2012, 3:19 PM [ in reply to 10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games ]

The Arsenic and Lace crowd have been screaming for Dabo's head and Batson's for a while. They were screaming for TB's before that and they will be screaming for the next coaches as well.
Dabo coached team has won 3 Atlantic Division titles and one ACC title in 4 full seasons. Likely to win the ACC again over the next 2 years. We had not won the ACC since FSU joined the league. We are again for the first time since Danny Ford one of the dominant teams in the league. And the Arsenic and Lace crowd is screaming for his head...
I do not drink Kool-Aid... but I do not drink what you are selling either......

Razz never will get it....

Nov 26, 2012, 3:38 PM [ in reply to 10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games ]

I ignore him but somehow see his posts on these things... here's what MOST of us understand and Razz never will because he's closed-minded: I think we all love Danny and the teams he built. But those teams also beat weak ACC teams and PATHETIC Scar teams. The difference today is that Scar is a really good team. This year is not "hollow" as Razz puts it. We beat everyone we were supposed to beat and only lost to 2 top 10 teams (Scar and FSU.) Razz fails to understand that MOST teams would have lost to them, and MOST teams have. Razz thinks anyone who sees progress is a coach-pumper. But what we are is optimistic. A concept lost on lazy people like Razz. The negatives are always easy to find. He's negative and unimaginative and bases EVERYTHING on the past. But Razz is right - we are not a great or elite team, YET -- a world people like Razz refuse to embrace. They like to replace it with words like "not" and "before." As in we're NOT where we should be or where we were BEFORE.

The ONLY fact that matters: Dabo is building something here. Something that even the likes of Razz will be proud of one day.

MOST of us will spend the next 9 months talking about the possibilities while ignorant flops like razz will continue to focus on what was and what isn't. Have fun with that.

Hey Razz... Spurrier won 35 games at Scar his first 5 years. Should they have fired him too?

GO TIGERS!

You don't get that the ACC is worse than ever.

Nov 26, 2012, 4:40 PM

You measure Clemson's progress against a weaker-than-ever ACC and see progress. I measure Clemson nationally and see almost no progress.

Spurrier took over a perennially, historically weak SCar program, and turned it around to an SEC-East contender that owns Clemson. Dabo took over a good, loaded, tradition-rich Clemson program and (on a national scale, not an ACC scale) kept it about the same. Spurrier's record at SCar reflects the fact that SCar plays in THE toughest conference. SCar would romp through the ACC and have a great record like Dabo. Look at how the ACC did against the SEC this past weekend; 0-4. Enjoy the Kool-aid. Everything is gonna be better NEXT year and we'll suddenly become competitive on the national stage.

Clemson is better off today...

Nov 26, 2012, 4:51 PM

The ACC is 2 years removed from having 5 teams in the top 25. Last year we had 3 with a close 4th.

Yes the ACC is down. But Clemson still won those games. Clemson is a top 15 team. Not a top 5 team. There is no secret that Alabama is #1 given the top 5 recruiting classes each year. It is all about the jimmies and joes. You want to ##### about S&C, toughness, coaching, yada yada. Bottom line is we need better players with experience and it takes a few years to get them. It is no secret that in year 4 of dabo coaching here we have back to back 10 win seasons. Sure we are not elite yet, but we will be.

Recall that Danny won ACC titles playing UVA, Wake, Maryland, NC State, UNC, and Duke. And he was 12-11-1 against NC State and Maryland during his tenure.

He didn't have to play FSU, VT, BC, Miami, or GT (until the last couple years he was here).

Re: Clemson is better off today... than lame TB not Danny.

Nov 26, 2012, 11:13 PM

2 years ago when the ACC was better and had 4 (not 5) teams finish in the bottom of the AP Top 25, Clemson finished 6-7. Thanks for proving my point. When the ACC was stronger, Clemson did poorly (and got beat by the decent noncons, Auburn, SCar, & USF). When the ACC was weaker, Clemson did well (and got beat by the decent noncons (WVU, SCar). Thanks for proving my point.

Recall that in Danny's tenure UNC, UMD, and sometimes UVA were Top 20-ish teams. Heck UNC was Top 10 in '80-'81. UGA was Top 5 from '80-'83.

No, I DO get that.. what you can't comprehend is

Nov 26, 2012, 5:03 PM [ in reply to You don't get that the ACC is worse than ever. ]

that you contradict yourself ALL the time.... you said that OBC took over a weak team and turned it around (IN 7 YEARS!) You also said that SCar would romp through the ACC. True... and so do we. But what makes NO SENSE AT ALL is when you sarcastically say "we'll get better next year." Well, duh! Spurrier got better "the next year" too... but in one season...slow, steady progress. Something you're unwilling to allow for... you're just wrong. Period. This team is a top 15 team, building towards a top tier team. You're one of the FEW that don't (make that "won't") see that.

And another thing... i'm not sure how much you contribute to IPTAY and this program, but if the answer is "nothing" then shut the he\\ up. You have no right to give input without giving money.

Sorry, that sentence should read "NOT in one season."***

Nov 26, 2012, 5:05 PM

It only took Spurrier 5 yrs (not 7) to start whupping CU.

Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 AM [ in reply to No, I DO get that.. what you can't comprehend is ]

Unlike Dabo, Spurrier started with a steaming pile of garbage that hadn't been ranked in years (having gone 5-7, 5-7, & 6-5 in the 3 years prior to taking over).

Dabo took a Clemson team that finished in and out of the bottom half of the Top 25, and led them to finish in and out of the bottom half of the Top 25. Massive improvement.

AP final poll rank.
2011: #22
2010: unranked
2009: #24
2008: unranked (Bowden -> Dabo transition)
2007: #21
2006: unranked
2005: #21

Re: Razz never will get it....

Nov 26, 2012, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Razz never will get it.... ]

I am also optimistic over the possibilities this team has next year. I am looking forward to watching how we do against UGa next season. We have 11 seniors and 10 juniors.... next year we may have fewer seniors depending on if any juniors try the NFL but we will have an experienced junior and sophomore dominated team.

Razz, you don't get it.....

Nov 26, 2012, 5:14 PM [ in reply to 10-2 w/ best win over 7-5 NCSU. Dabo now 3-10 in upset games ]

We are finally beating the teams we're supposed to beat. One has to beat the 5-5 teams before they're ready to beat the 10-2 teams. We're getting there one step at a time.

It's my hope that 2-3 years from now, we're in the national title hunt, kicking the crapola out of the big boys. Not because I'm a Clemson fan, but just so you'll shut the heck up and have to admit you were wrong about Dabo... but most likely you'll still talk about the early years of his career when we "should have hired someone other than a WR coach and we'd had gotten here sooner." Yup... you'll always look for the negative and never be satisfied with the "right now." Patience grasshopper.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I certainly hope Dabo has me singing his praises in 1-2 yrs.

Nov 27, 2012, 1:10 AM

Clemson's problem hasn't been losing to crappy sub-7-win schools like the ones we played this season. It's been losing to underdogs who are inferior but decent 8-or-9-win type schools. Except for our two losses, we didn't play anybody decent who is capable of pulling an upset, so it's not fair to say that we've improved because we didn't "pull a Clemson". We only played two teams with a pulse, adn they both beat us soundly.

And even at that we didn't beat everybody that we were supposed to beat because SCar was a 4 point dog (and would have been a much bigger dog if the gamblers knew that Shaw would be out).

I never said that Dabo is dumb or that he'll never be a good coach. On the contrary, I've always said that (like Napier) Dabo is smart, energetic, and a good recruiter who may some day learn to be a very good coach. I'm just disgusted that a once-proud football school like Clemson wasted years and careers by letting Dabo do on the job training so that he could learn from his many unecessary, newbie mistakes.

Couldnt agree more...where did our running game go?

Nov 26, 2012, 2:46 PM

Morris completely abandoned it. AE and HotRod were getting yards in big bunches. We were running much better than I thought we could. Dunno why Morris stopped calling runs.

Nov 26, 2012, 3:17 PM

i think our defense needs more playmakers but don't agree with a big gap in programs. our offense didn't click, had numerous opportunities in first half and just didn't have a good game.

boyd had time in first half

Nov 26, 2012, 3:25 PM

boyd wasn't on his game when he did have time, i think our offense had a bad game at the worst time. we need more playmakers on D but not ready to concede gap in programs

Clowney

Nov 26, 2012, 3:20 PM

If you put Clowney on Clemson then this game is the exact opposite. Our Defense would have gotten off the field when we needed to and we would have been able to control the ball. Our offensive line would have looked much better with no Clowney on the other team to have to account for. I hate to say it but he single handedly beat us.

Re: Clowney

Nov 26, 2012, 4:17 PM

Who in the world thought we had the talent to handle him 1 on 1? That was crazy!

Few right, mostly wrong analysis

Nov 26, 2012, 3:55 PM

These are two teams headed in different directions due mostly to the inability of our HC to see the elephant in the room. They were stronger, faster and more athletic. Why??? Our S*C program stinks! Dabo is so protective of Batson it is a disgrace. At the very least, hire a consulting group to do an HONEST evaluation of the S&C program. We have the highest paid staff in the country and get pushed around by any quality program we play. It is not the players, it is player development.

You say we were beaten due to experience??? What?? Our secondary is THE WORST in our schools history. There are three seniors back there. Coach Harbison should be shown the door TODAY. yet, he is a close friend of Dabo's and my guess if BV doesn't push extremely hard, we'll see more pathetic play from the secondary. We made their "inexperienced" QB look like Aaron Rodgers.

Tired of the excuses and "next year" commentary from the Clemson cronies. You can't out-recruit marginal coaching, which is what we have to date. Unfortunately, our HC thinks EVERY problem can be solved by recruiting.

The offensive game plan was crap - no doubt about it. Chad needs to do much better, especially not giving up on the running game so often (he has been bad about it all year), and I think he will. BV's scheme was OK but they are not well coached or disciplined and our defense is what you get with sub-par coaching.

After the game, Dabo was asked what the difference in the game was.... his comment = turnovers. Now, anyone who watched this game with half a brain KNOWS we lost for a multitude of reasons but not because we lost the "Turn-over Battle". We lost because them boys smacked us in the mouth and we laid down.

I'm glad David is fine with saying they are a pretty good team and well, that's just the way it rolls folks. I hear it about baseball too. But know we have watched one of the worst programs in college football surpass us. #5 & #6 in a row look pretty ripe if you're a Lamecock fan right now. Let's hope the AD draws a line in the sand - Win in Columbia next year or find a new team to coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Few right, mostly wrong analysis

Mar 9, 2021, 9:33 PM

Good post. We probably have less chance of winning in Columbia next year than we had winning in Death Valley this year.

Re: Few right, mostly wrong analysis

Nov 26, 2012, 6:26 PM

And I am furious because the problems are ALL (mostly) fixable but reality has to sink in. We are close to being a really, really good program but need to close out the weaknesses to an absolute minimum and make a big run.
The fans are going to have to push it as Dabo and the Admin will not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB, Dabo, Jack, it's all pumper idolatry for oor coaching

Nov 26, 2012, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Few right, mostly wrong analysis ]

n/c they like them as people.

Nov 26, 2012, 5:02 PM

great article ; the truth hurts but it is what it is ; think next year is a pivotal year for this coaching staff

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 5:22 PM

Mediocrity describes football in the ACC under the reign of North Carolina apologist John Swafford....And it shall remain so. The Elite of the ACC, Clemson and Florida State hosted the mid-elite of the SEC on Saturday. Both were embarrassed at home.

It is because of mediocre competition in the conference football arena these two stalwarts of the ACC failed. Iron sharpens iron. There is NO iron in the ACC to challenge the football prowess of ANY team in the ACC! And, when you play mediocrity, you become mediocre.

It is a known fact that the best recruits want to play for and against the best competition. Doing so hones their skills and prepares them for the next level. The ACC does not offer this higher level of competition and that is why the most sought after recruits go elsewhere

It is time for Clemson to get out of the ACC. It is time for Florida State to get out of the ACC. For these two storied programs to move forward they must face good competition weekly, and this will not happen in the WEAK ACC!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2012, 5:24 PM

and go to......?

Those blaming the offense mean that you would expect to

Nov 26, 2012, 5:35 PM

score more than 17 points. We expect the defense to be the weak spot. Frankly, I thought the play calling lacked Morris's usual creativity. He called a much better game against FSU with the misdirection plays on both run and pass. Bottom line, you have to get the ball into Watkins hands more. He lined up as running back against FSU on some calls. Agree that we abandoned the run waaaaay to early.

Nov 26, 2012, 6:03 PM

I find this to be a classy story written by a knowledgeable source. Many of you made great points. I wish Clemson had left the ACC with USC at that time in history. Now I hope we might be in the same conference again.

But, please remember the years old men like me have suffered through the years, and understand that it's all about the money. The SEC payouts have allowed South Carolina to build a solid SEC program.

As are most in our great state, I come from a family that is 50/50 for rivalry day. I was happy for us to play as highly ranked teams, and I hope each school can repeat that. We don't get the national attention that each school deserves as a rivalry.

I come in peace. I appreciate the article. And finally, we are all South Carolinians and SC is one tough state.

I enjoy this site, because it is the pulse of Clemson football. That has been proved once again by this article and the subsequent posts.

Respectfully Submitted,

Davy
Veteran, 307th Med, 82nd Airborne

Nov 26, 2012, 6:04 PM

If you followed the statistics throught the game just on yahoo it was constantly obvious we were getting 5 6 yards whene rushing and they were eating us alive with passing chad morris had tunnel vision thinking boyd has ALWAYS ended up passing and getting 40-50points so he refused to abandon his game plan when all of us could see it was not working with the running game our offense would have had more time of possession and kept sc offense off the field also last 2 minute time management ant use of time outs was poor I blame the coaches for this loss

Nov 26, 2012, 6:51 PM

I agree the defense is bad but, the offence has so much talent. Where they failed Saterday night was coaching and heart!

Re: Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts

Nov 26, 2012, 6:56 PM

Yea and he got ACC player of the week. No way I could except that.

Nov 26, 2012, 7:22 PM

imo the defense played their behinds off and fought the carolina offense all the way down the field, keeping this one close... by the end of the game the D was still hanging tough, unlike an early season loss at FSU, and was doomed by a couple of idiotic pass intereference calls. We know the defense has been the weaker link this year, but they have gotten better, and played well enought to keep the game manageable, but the Offense didnt show after Q1. This was a three point game with 4 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, the gap isnt that big between these two like it has been the past few years. Seeing Spurrier run onto the field like a coot with his head cut off near the end of the game tells you how close, tense and hard fought this game was.Its too bad the Tiger O couldnt find a spark or two after the first quarter of play, but give credit to a stout Carolina Defense.

Their backup is a better passer than the starter, and a timely runner as well, just a good ball player...theres a reason spurrier started him this game, and its not cuz their starter couldnt play.

The Tigers are becoming a better/deeper program. They had the depth to take care of business and beat who they were supposed to this year without any hiccups along the way. Their two losses were against an FSU team that recuits better than clemson every year since i can remember according to the recruiting experts, and finally put it together to have their best team since they won it all ages ago...
And lets be honest, this is the best south carolina team in its history period. Clemson has been improving and moving forward as a program for some time now, but so has carolina. South Carolina has outrecruited clemson for some big time instate player like clowney recently, and it has payed off for them. But the gap between the two isnt all that big, and Clemson just has to keep moving forward like they have been and they will get theirs.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:16 PM

I agree with what David said about the play calling and the insane logic not to plan a scheme for Clowney. The problem is that we are paying Morris an inordinate amount of money and he is not accountable to anyone. If someone challenges him everyone is afraid that he will leave for another head coaching job. David was very tactful in analyzing Morris game plan, but the truth of the matter is that Morris did not plan for this game this year or last year. We cannot allow this guy to hold our program hostage with his arrogance. Let him go! He is not bigger than Clemson University!

Interesting Fact...

Nov 26, 2012, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Final South Carolina game thoughts ]

We were down by 3 with less than 5:00 in the game and there was an opportunity to win it. The events after the 5:00 mark sure hurt. Of course I didn't feel like we were in it at the time given that we could not get them off of the field. You mentioned the OBS running onto the field and I think that is a good indication that he was more worried than me at the time. Very good point and something for our Tigers to build on. We can't get this one back but we can sure a he// get better!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RE: Dear Monday Quarterbacks:

Nov 26, 2012, 8:51 PM

Dear Monday Quarterbacks:

I think we have finally solved the problem.

Note to Clemson coaches:

"It is the lack of a pass rush."

Maybe, the coaches should try to fix the problem and recruit some five star DE like Robert Nkemdiche, Elijah Daniels, or DT Montravius Adams, Scott Pagano. Apparently, the coaches aren't aware of this problem with the Clemson defense. Maybe Dabo Swinney should have tried to recruit Clowney even though he barely qualified academically for USC.

Sincerely,
Rex123

Football Consulting Services LLC

Re: RE: Dear Fellow Monday Morning Quarterbacks:

Nov 26, 2012, 8:55 PM

Dear Monday Morning Quarterbacks:

I think we have finally solved the problem.

Note to Clemson coaches:

"It is the lack of a pass rush."

Maybe, the coaches should try to fix the problem and recruit some five star DE like Robert Nkemdiche, Elijah Daniels, or DT Montravius Adams, Scott Pagano. Apparently, the coaches aren't aware of this problem with the Clemson defense. Maybe Dabo Swinney should have tried to recruit Clowney even though he barely qualified academically for USC.

Sincerely,
Rex123

Re: RE: Dear Monday Quarterbacks:

Nov 27, 2012, 1:20 AM [ in reply to RE: Dear Monday Quarterbacks: ]

And maybe hire an S&C coach so that your recruits dont' get pushed around.

It's funny how year after year Dabo has so much success recruiting skill players but not OL & DL. Maybe he and his staff don't value or emphasize it enough. Maybe they don't relate to big guys as well. Whatever the reasons, it just seems like a continuation of the Bowden decade.

Nov 26, 2012, 11:21 PM

Here is what I see from this team:
- only physical player on team is tig Willard - wish he had better fundamentals because he has toughness that has disappeared from our program.
- defense as a unit is worst I have seen at our school in my lifetime. I don't think it is talent, it is clearly lack of toughness, staying confused and zero development of players. They play on par with mid tier D2 schools.
- not long ago we had 3 NFL guys on defense including Bowers our no. 1 national recruit and we still lost to USC
- USC is not more talented than us, they are more physical and will do whatever they need to do to win - they use the SEC as their "standard" to play to and we use some fictitious "standard" - Dabo help our team understand what your standard is and make it PHYSICAL - they will reflect what you make important!!!
- WE should not give a crap about being in SEC - ACC sucked 30 years ago when we were winning it every year but we were TOUGH and played with purpose - Dabo demand physical play please!!!
- Chad Morris needs to come to grips with his SORRY game plan for this game - he might as well have asked Spurrier what he should do. One touch for Sammy is unacceptable - Dabo needs to get involved when things are this stupid. If he is distracted chasing another job then fire his ####. I like this offense when it adjusts to find the right match up but it looked like the same plan he had for DUKE???
- where is our attitude? - in our home stadium you let this happen in our rivalry game? Back in 80's Swearinger would have been getting picked up off the grass after doing this in Death Valley. Dabo where is our pride?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcdM6ie9GlY

Football is a violent game, MAYBE one day we will set the tone again and restore pride to our program - up to you Dabo

Nov 26, 2012, 11:36 PM

Read the article.David made some good points.
But he left out one crucial thing that was paramount,imo, in the loss to the #####;
Spurrier took Dabo to the woodshed.He throughly out coached Dabo,and made Dabo look like a cheerleading ex real estate agent turned H.C.
Look,I like Dabo,and want nothing more for him to succeed,but Spurrier has his number,and last Saturday's loss could be one of the worse from a coaching standpoint.

Dec 19, 2012, 11:28 AM

re the david hood remarks concerning the south carolina game: i don't know what game you were watching, but clemson couldn't beat south carolina if they played 10 times. Clemson can only win when their offense can dominate. there are three sides to winning football-off, def, and specialteams. clemson has an offense that is as good as anyone in the country, especially when playing against acc teams. i thought they would go 11-1; i thought fla state would lose to clemson, not because clemson was the better team, but fla st makes too many mistakes. south carolina is as good as anyone in the country. keep in mind that south carolina was playing with a back up running back and a back up qb. i think that when clemson starts to practice physical defense and gains respect for defending the deep ball, things will change. as i said before defemsive players at clemson are second-class citizens. if you don't recruit tough kids, then you have to manufacture them.

Replies: 99
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic