Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says ACC is looking ahead
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says ACC is looking ahead

Nov 21, 2012, 10:46 AM

BOT Chairman says ACC is looking ahead

Board of Trustees Chairman David Wilkins was surprised by Maryland’s decision to leave the ACC, but he says the ACC will do everything in its power to keep the league strong. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says ACC is looking ahead

Nov 21, 2012, 10:51 AM

I'm hoping this was for public consumption because if we were truely surprised that isnt good. It shows how out of touch we are

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there is any truth to the rumor that UNC and UVA are

Nov 21, 2012, 11:53 AM

heading to the BIG 10, then it's over. Superconferences are here and the ACC is dead( as far a football is concerned). FSU has the clout and history that they will be a major grab for one of the big conferences. They would not really be that much further from the other teams in the BIG 12 than they are from Syr, Pitt, BC, VT, UVA. I would like to think that we would be too, but who knows? We may not be as attractive. The administration better have something going with "talks" with the SEC and the BIG 12. I don't want to go west, but it may not be an option.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

B1G and SEC are going to take what they can of the

Nov 21, 2012, 12:09 PM

VA and NC markets. Our only hope is the SEC wants quality over market share, but that's a long shot. Besides, there are VA and NC schools that are plenty desirable even without market share. Luckily, FSU is as screwed as we are. We'll follow whatever they do. An up and coming program isn't going to calm them. GT might have an out to the B1G as well.

New Direction

Nov 21, 2012, 10:51 AM

Come on I am a die hard Clemson fan but its time to dump this conference. We will never get any respect nationally until we do. Its a sinking ship time to get off of it.

Well. I feel so much better now.

Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 AM

Thank you, Mr. Wilkins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Same thing current and previous Big East commissioners said:

Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM

Same thing current and previous Big East commissioners said: "Gonna keep our conference strong." Time for CU to GET OUT of the acc!!!

No surprise.

Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM

After how far we stuck our necks out trying to get ND in the league, there's no way we are first to jump ship. We will remain put until at least 2 other schools depart, and at that point it is every man for himself.

Quite a shame. Bad move by the board. It was evident this past summer how fragile the conference was, and its rather naive to think that us and FSU are the only schools that could rattle the cage with a departure.

ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2012, 11:01 AM

not yelling at you, but i'm sick of media/The ACC/other clueless leaders of schools, conferences, and teams.........saying that "Notre Dame to the ACC is great for the conference"

Notre Dame played everybody like a fiddle and the ACC was DUMB enough to fall for their stupid half @$$ed sympathy bone they threw us to where they'd play 5 ACC teams but not be a part in FOOTBALL

give me a break

Re: ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!! and never will be!!!!

Nov 21, 2012, 11:05 AM

this poster gets it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!! and never will be!!!!

Nov 21, 2012, 5:09 PM

Only an idiot or someone suffering severely from A.D.D. don't understand the difference between partial or full partnership in the case of ND and the ACC. ND don't have, and will never have any intentions of sharing or cutting off the hand that picks millions from their TV rights money tree that NBC has grew for them. I like you also wish that the talking heads would stop trying to make us think or believe That the ND brand will ever bare any fruit for any of the ACC schools. ND is USING the ACC of it's name as a power BasketBall/BaseBall conference for filling their pockets only. It's just not going to ever happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!!! Wilkens did not do anything to improve his

Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 AM [ in reply to ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!! ]

standing with Clemson fans here. People need to email him and let him know.

Re: ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2012, 5:16 PM [ in reply to ND is NOT IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!! ]

GREAT POST!! all sad but true!swoffie and barker did it

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 AM

ooooooooooooo...breath...oooooooooooooooooooo

here's the problem.........

Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 AM

The ACC's definition of "STRONG" is DRASTIACLLY different from MY definition of "STRONG"

Re: here's the problem.........

Nov 21, 2012, 11:03 AM

Hey we are round ball STRONG STRONG STRONG. That is a great thing for a basketball conference. Being strong in BB that is.:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 11:15 AM

From what I saw last night, ACC basketball may not be any stronger than ACC football. Just sayin'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Nov 21, 2012, 4:25 PM

Yep, if we can judge by the way Butler took to UNCheat from the start to finish. That game sure didn't give the acc a big round of applause.

Re: Not even that too much anymore***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: here's the problem......... ]

Nov 21, 2012, 10:58 AM

And he did say blah blah blah blah blah blah. And then absolutely nothing!!!

Who cares if MD leaves? Sub-par sports teams in all areas.Find a great replacement and don't let the door hit them on the way out...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 AM

The problem isn't Maryland leaving. The problem is the precedent that it sets as well as the adding of yet another basketball school to empower tobacco road even more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: BOT Chairman says ACC is looking ahead ]

By the time our BOT's react. The door will be knocked off the hinges with schools bolting while the getting is good. But, we wouldn't have to worry about where we would bolt to b/c, there won't be any room for us any where except the acc.

CRAP!!!! Absolutley nothing he said gives me a good feeling

about CLEMSON"S future.

clemson is & always has been too "PC" to do anything "risky"

Nov 21, 2012, 11:04 AM

they would not lead............they would try to follow once the ship was submerged

Not entirely true.

Nov 21, 2012, 11:35 AM

Clemson used to be a rebel. Heck, Clemson is the reason the ACC was formed in the first place. The Southern Conference implemented a rule that would not allow a member to go to a bowl. Clemson basically said, F you, accepted the bowl bid and withdrew from the conference the next year to create the ACC.

It's only a recent development that Clemson has totally lost it's testicles.

Preparing us for UConn??***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Yep***

Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 AM

Looks that way to me also

That may actually be a good thing, because I think it will force us, FSU and possibly Ga. Tech to consider other options.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, at least UCONN forces the issue, USF or UCF will

Nov 21, 2012, 12:15 PM

have everyone saying these are future powers in football. That's like saying Coastal Carolina is going to become great in football and people are going to stop being Clemson or scu fans to support them. Not for at least 25 years after a generation or two.

ALMOST AS MUCH HOT AIR AS we put in those balloons in the 80

Nov 21, 2012, 11:01 AM

80's

null

A lot of words without saying anything.***

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ check the post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS !!!!!!!!***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 AM

null

I like David & went to HS with his brother..but he's wimpie

about this issue since he said three things that bothered me..

1. He was surprised to hear about MD leaving!
2. He believes Prez Barker will do the right thing.
3. We will stay in the ACC & bring in a good school.

Well Ladies & Gentlemen..looks like we're going to go down with the grand ole lady ship called the ACC. Have your life boat ready!

GoTiGERs...beat the #####..BAD!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the Maryland possibly didn't do the right thing got me..

Nov 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

are you kidding?

Our leadership is soooooo out of touch with the fanbase. It

Nov 21, 2012, 11:18 AM

turns my stomach and makes me want to lock my wallet.

The thing is FSU and Clemson would have no issue getting

Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM

50 million from fans for the right move. The other schools might. Of course, no fees will be paid if the league dissolves.

Leadership more in touch with fan base than most tigernet

Nov 21, 2012, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Our leadership is soooooo out of touch with the fanbase. It ]

yahoos

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds to me like the entire admin is totally clueless here

Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 AM

Everyone from the president on down needs to be removed if we stay in the ACC once FSu leaves because they will have killed this program.

This is a bad time for the ACC to add teams

Nov 21, 2012, 11:08 AM

You get get crappy teams when the conference is down, and good teams when the stock is high. It will be a disappointment I'm sure.

then why the B10 add teams? Why'd the B12 add teams?

Nov 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

your comment does seem to mirror experience

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker is a strong advocate for the ACC and the league! He

Nov 21, 2012, 11:10 AM

needs to be a strong advocate for Clemson! How hard is it to get a new BOT Chair. These comments are very disturbing. Sounds like we are going down with the ship.

I echo the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs from earlier

Nov 21, 2012, 11:13 AM

in this thread. Matter of fact, those comments deserve a chorus of BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs.

Re: I echo the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs from earlier

Nov 21, 2012, 11:32 AM

to Wilkins......just pee on my leg and tell me it's warm.....

Re: Barker is a strong advocate for the ACC and the league! He

Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Barker is a strong advocate for the ACC and the league! He ]

Sad but true. Barker will let us drown with the acc before he would even look to see if there was a life boat available for us to jump in.

'90 fired Danny, '91declining SEC inquiries to join conf,

Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 AM

2004-2008 stayed with a FB coach too long, 2012 not acknowledging the inevitable that the ACC is turning into a 2nd Tier FB conf and not pursue joining the Big12.

Our leadership of the University (both BOT & Pres) has not taken the best interest (financial & longevity) of the Athletic Department into consideration over the last 22 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if the SEC was declining in '91...

Nov 21, 2012, 11:16 AM

and then became "the best conference" 15 years later, then why do you just assume the ACC will be a "second tier" conference just because it isn't great now?

Re: if the SEC was declining in '91...

Nov 21, 2012, 11:22 AM

ROFLMAO;)

Cam's dumb enough he might not be joking.***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ A Fire Daboer***

Nov 21, 2012, 1:16 PM

Looking ahead to turning the ACC in to the Big East***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wilkins and Barker sre the problems!!***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:23 AM

So,... Barker is going to sit tight because he would feel

Nov 21, 2012, 11:32 AM

like he abandoned project "get ND in ACC" I hope we are just playing this REALLY close to the chest and not showing our hand. If we are in fact going to do nothing until a new BIG LEAST team is in, then i am sure we will do nothing until NC State, or FSU leaves. I just hope that when that happens we will have already talked to BIG12 about joining.

Must be a paragon of academics, just like UNC!***

Nov 21, 2012, 11:38 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. Are you comparing Clemson to unc?******

Nov 21, 2012, 12:31 PM

Re: Must be a paragon of academics, just like UNC!***

Nov 21, 2012, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Must be a paragon of academics, just like UNC!*** ]

UNC is second to none in their AFAM (no) Studies Program.
And their personal assistants are very "hands on" helpers.

here's comes UConn which brings nothing in football***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: here's comes UConn which brings nothing in football***

Nov 21, 2012, 1:24 PM

I agree they don't bring a big audience which is one of the things lacking in the ACC and drives the payouts for bowls or TV (ESPN) down. But they did beat SC in a bowl in 09 and could be called a program on the rise. Hey they even beat MD this year who they would replace (I say laughingly). But, I'd rather have a BigEast and past Div. 1AA team on the rise than an SEC team on the downfall for example.

Nov 21, 2012, 7:09 PM [ in reply to here's comes UConn which brings nothing in football*** ]

if Uconn comes in you can kiss my 51 years of IPTAY good by.

Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 PM

Why punish Clemson for that??? Seems pretty vindictive.

Nov 21, 2012, 1:09 PM

The truth is that the BOT Chairman and the President alike are political roles, and so any answer or comment they give will be political. All Wilkins is doing is showing public support for the current conference. Would you expect someone to trash the ACC (even if they believed it) and still have any strength at the negotiating table????? I suspect the school is considering all its options to be equal right now even though showing a different public face.

Nov 21, 2012, 8:04 PM

"The truth is that the BOT Chairman and the President alike are political roles"

And therefore, cannot be trusted!!

What are you waiting for?

Nov 21, 2012, 1:20 PM

David,
Grow a pair and tell us something that is worth listening to. We have only you and your BOT to monitor what the "President" is doing and we need you to keep us informed. If we can't trust you to guide the University in the correct direction then what have we to depend on?

Nd isn't in our league

Nov 21, 2012, 1:29 PM

Apparently Barker didn't close that total deal. It was like a slap in the face for the ACC. We will get another basketball school. Do they not get it?

Re: Nd isn't in our league

Nov 21, 2012, 1:37 PM

The bigger question is how is the playoff money going to be split up?

Is it going to be just the teams in the playoff or is money going to be pushed down to the other conferences too?

I don't see the big four conferences allowing money to be pushed down below them. If the NCAA votes, then it will.

Look for the SEC, BIG12, PAC12, BIG10 to break away from the NCAA in football. They will stay in everything else. The NCAA doesn't have the power to stop them. If they make them leave in everything, then the NCAA Men's basketball tournament (The NCAA's cash cow) just went from a money machine to basically worthless.

The bowl games are already structured to have the four team playoff (8 if you count division winners), and only the Big12 needs to add teams. The other three can add only if they want to do it for extra money.

One more thing, the Big 12 has taken advantage of the people they added by giving the partial shares for X years after joining. If they know there is only two seats left, then look for them to charge a high price to get them.

FSU/Clemson should have 2 choices

Nov 21, 2012, 2:34 PM

#1 get Notre Dame to the ACC ( every sport)FOOTBALL**

#2 say good bye,hello BIG 12

The Big East was so impressive, we have decided to become

Nov 21, 2012, 3:23 PM

it. It worked so well before the ACC started raiding it.

In other words "I'm the acehole that thought giving ND

Nov 21, 2012, 4:22 PM

preferential treatment was a good idea. I did not learn from the mistakes of the Big East and what tore it apart. I refuse to let John Swofford one up me in his incompetence. I will go down with this ship before I admit I am wrong"

How To Fix Our Problems

Nov 21, 2012, 4:53 PM

From another post I made earlier:

I WAS a big advocate of Clemson staying in the ACC ... but after this season, not so much ....

If I was King, I would say Clemson, FSU, GaTech, VaTech, NCSt and MIAMI ! you go to the Big 12

Now, by doing this, the B12 (16) would have basically, East-West Divisions. At the end of the year, the grand finale would be the Championship game between east and west. As another wise poster already stated, this would alleviate the travel concerns and keep the regional flavor of the core competition.

Of course if the SEC invited Clemson, I would not care about the above.

As for the ACC? It would be dominated by private, smallish schools where Basketball would be the dominate sport, and Football would be secondary.... still decent Football, but not at the level of the B-12 (16).

Re: How To Fix Our Problems

Nov 21, 2012, 7:55 PM

The problems with Clemson moving to any league besides the SEC is the distance to many inter-league games. Imagine scheduling for the Big 12 where three away games in a row would be in Iowa, Oklahoma, and Texas. That is one of the biggest reasons why the ACC is so attractive to Clemson athletics and fans alike I think. So many games don't require a lot of effort to go see.

Re: How far is it from Miami to Syracuse??***

Nov 21, 2012, 8:06 PM

Reassuring. Wilkins is a great Tiger.***

Nov 21, 2012, 5:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!***

Nov 21, 2012, 8:07 PM

Nov 21, 2012, 6:53 PM

Seems what we have here is a failure to communicate. There will likely be 4, 16 team leagues, and the ACC will not be among them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2012, 9:29 AM

One possibility is that the carcass of the Big East and whatever is left of the ACC merge. Not sure if that equals exactly 16 teams, but it may be the only way the two survive IF more leave the ACC soon.

Nov 22, 2012, 10:18 AM

Maryland couldn't win in the ACC, how will they fair in the Big 10? Clemson better be looking ahead to another conference. The ACC has always been a North Carolina conference. Barker better get his brain together and move Clemson to a more desirable conference. I get sick and tired of playing these patsy teams year after year. Time to move on. Next year's schedule has added 2 more pushover's. We are the laughing stock of the football world.

Nov 23, 2012, 9:46 AM

Wilkins and Barker are a joke. They are living in the past and are too set in their ways to see it. It's time to dump Wilkins and Barker and get some new blood into the program. Other schools have the foresight to look ahead, not back. My God we have the players, the fans, the coach and the money, but we have fools running the ship.Time for new blood at the helm, and a new conference.

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic