Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Dabo Swinney on Night games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Football Update: Dabo Swinney on Night games

Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 AM

Dabo Swinney on Night games

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em Dabo

Oct 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

NM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That 17 vs. 3 stat that Tim Bourret cited

Oct 23, 2012, 11:52 AM

is astonishing... Not to mention entirely unfair.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOO

Oct 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

I didn't realize it was so lopsided. 17-3 is crazy

Re: for years we've tried not to have night home games @CU

Oct 23, 2012, 12:11 PM

so we created this disparity ourselves. for 10 years CU has told the networks we dont want night games at home. apparently we'd rather disadvantage our team than have a few sleepy fans the next day

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2012, 12:34 PM

it is more than having a more sleepy fans... Clemson hotels inrease rates from 80 per night to 360 per night with a two night min. stay. there are only so many rooms... so kicking off at 3:30 or 12:00 accomondates our fans... a fan living in Orangburg or Sumter can not get home after a 7:30 kick off until 1:30 to 2:00... one living in Charleston or MB... it will be anohter hour.

For the GT game we DID request a night game and presented our package.. we were denied. Schedule better non-conference teams and the late kick-offs will follow.

For years we DID want to play early.. if you play early.. then for the 3:30 games and later.. your score and clips are posted throught the day. This helps in rankings and recruiting.

no other "football school" has a problem with it.......

Oct 23, 2012, 12:42 PM

they want what's gonna give their team the best/most advantage playing at home...........all those other "excuses" are just that.....EXCUSES. Trust me, we won't have a lack of fans in the seats in a night game

While I do agree the prices are steep you have to consider

Oct 23, 2012, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: for years we've tried not to have night home games @CU ]

that these hotels probably make the majority of their annual revenue during the weekends of the home football games. I really don't think there is a large enough demand during the rest of the year to explain the amount of hotel rooms available in a town the size Clemson. The hotels know they have to make a big chunk of their annual budget in the fall and price their rooms accordingly.

stay in Easley/Anderson/Greenville where the rates drop-----

Oct 23, 2012, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: for years we've tried not to have night home games @CU ]

come on now, you've done this before.The room rates sound like one of the lame excuses that the AD puts out as to why we don't want night games. What about those same people that travel that far for a noon game? How does that work out? Do you leave at like 3 AM?

Oct 23, 2012, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: for years we've tried not to have night home games @CU ]

To be honest, I love the night games in the Valley. For some reason we have fans that are scared to be out at night. BOOOOO, the boogie man is in them hills at night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have....

Oct 23, 2012, 12:21 PM

input and can give preference

you can't tell me that it "just so happens" that the TV networks are chomping at the bit to see clemson play at night vs (MD, VT, FSU, GT, USC)......and not vice versa

our admin does have say.......and here's my biggest issue

If there is so much "negative" about night games per our administration then why and I guarantee you this why do they allow the USC game to be at night.........why is USC an exception to the rule when our admin only talks about traffic, people getting home, blah blah blah, but they have no issue scheduling USC at home at NIGHT.........makes no sense to me.

Re: Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have....

Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 PM

we have requested night games... the most recent was the GT game... we were denied. you can request, but that does not mean you will get it. And many fans have to drive 3 to 4 hours. Perhpas if the hotels did not charge 350 per night with a two night min. you would see anyone living in Myrte Beach, Charleston, Orangeburg, Sumter, Marion, Hilton Head, Walterboro, etc agree with you.........fact is.. i love 12 and 3:30 games... late games sux.. i dont have 800 for a hotel room.. you want to blame someone.. blame the GREEDY hotel owners in Clemson.

Get off your hotel kick dude...

Oct 23, 2012, 1:32 PM

Drive, don't drive. Stay, don't stay...you have the choice. As was said before...DV will be full and loud without you if it's a night game.

Once a year...would it really inconvenience you that much?

Oct 23, 2012, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have.... ]

If you live 3 or 4 hours away, then drive home after the game. Don't give me this "it's too late at night" crap either. I've driven to away games and came back; driven to bowl games and came back; so don't tell me it's not possible. If money is such a factor, then stay home but the argument that we don't have night games because it's so difficult to get here and stay overnight is absurd. Every time we've had a night game here, it's by far more packed and littered with fans than any snoozer noon game.

There is no greater advantage than a home game at night in college football, and instead of getting that advantage, we end up having to go on the road in that environment more than anyone outside of SEC schools. The administration needs to open their eyes if indeed it is their preference to have night games. Be all in or be all out and stop the excuses.

Anderson is 20 mins away and has plenty of hotels.***

Oct 23, 2012, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have.... ]

Oct 23, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have.... ]

Get a room in Greenville or Anderson or any where out of Clemson if price gouging is their game b/c of our night game. Let the Clemson Hotels stay empty, it only hurts them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live on Johns Island, bring on the night games.***

Oct 23, 2012, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's right we don't "control them", however we do have.... ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is not being truthful...You don't get a 17-3 split

Oct 23, 2012, 12:21 PM

without signing off on it someway, somehow...Even in the ACC...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clemson does not set the game times. truth.

Oct 23, 2012, 12:27 PM

clemson does have influence over game times they may or may not exert? i think this is where we fall down based on tdp/cu's statements.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By "we***

Oct 23, 2012, 12:28 PM

By "we," I think he means the coaching staff.

Oct 23, 2012, 12:29 PM [ in reply to clemson does not set the game times. truth. ]

the coaches play when and where they are told. It is up to the administration to raise a stink with the networks and the conference.

ok, but "clemson"[staff, admin, ad] does not set the game

Oct 23, 2012, 12:35 PM

games.

i agree, IF 'we' want night games, 'we' need to complain about it.

i linked this yesterday. http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12986146#12986146 good insight into who owns this i think. also, good insight into where this needs to be addressed.

unfortunately for some, i think most clemson fans are happy with daytime starts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While Clemson doesn't set the actual time, it does have some

Oct 23, 2012, 2:57 PM [ in reply to clemson does not set the game times. truth. ]

influence over preference...I stand by my statement...You don't get a 17-3 split without signing off on it one-way or another...It seems utterly ridiculous that the TV cabal loves us at night in Durham but would prefer a nooner in the Valley...If you want to go on believing a 17-3 split just came to be, so be it...You, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny can have a laugh at my expense...

perhaps i wasn't clear enough, we agree. but calling dabo

Oct 23, 2012, 3:19 PM

untruthful when control was the word used seemed a little over the top; we don't.

we do have influence, i agree 1000%. i believe clemson uses that influence to garner daytime kickoffs. i also believe most 'fans' prefer it that way.

santa & the easter bunny are sitting this one out.

We do agree on our preference...Maybe I should have said

Oct 23, 2012, 3:58 PM

100% truthful...I realize that Dabo has about zero control over the actual gametime, that most of the influence comes from the admin...It would definitely appear that the TV cabal prefers us to play at night, at least on the road...And I doubt the admin would have to lobby too hard to get 1 night game a year at home...although it would appear they have no intention of doing so...The admin hides behind the "fans", but it is really about not wanting to pay the gameday support staff...There is no difference in the distance from the beach to here at noon vs 7:00pm...I really don't understand why a nooner is better for the Lowcountry fans... Is leaving at 3 am easier than getting home at 3 am?

I really don't think Dabo has much say in the matter. Notice

Oct 23, 2012, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Dabo is not being truthful...You don't get a 17-3 split ]

how he said 'they'. 'They' is mainly the administration who are influenced by grumpy old big money IPTAY supporters who complain about the traffic and such.

Dabo didn't say that. Tim Bourret, according to the article

Oct 23, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Dabo is not being truthful...You don't get a 17-3 split ]

said it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken

By "we" Dabo must mean

Oct 23, 2012, 12:22 PM

the football team. 17-3 ratio is horrible and shows that the media is willing to air a Clemson game at night. It's all our AD.

I'll bet you $10 the SCar game will be at night***

Oct 23, 2012, 12:26 PM

I'd bet more than that......as i said above.......

Oct 23, 2012, 12:28 PM

the admin gives our all these excuses and negatives about having home night games, but when it comes to USC they throw that out the window........WHY?

Depends on competing games and tv time slots available.....

Oct 23, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to I'll bet you $10 the SCar game will be at night*** ]

If both teams are still top 15, then there will be a good shot at a night game. I certainly hope that one will be at night.

makes you wonder if our road record might be better

Oct 23, 2012, 12:30 PM

if other teams weren't always playing us at night. Hard to improve on 11 straight wins at home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Dabo Swinney on Night games

Oct 23, 2012, 12:44 PM

All I'm saying is the SCU game better be at night!!! All in all day!!! Go tigers!

it will be***

Oct 23, 2012, 12:46 PM

It's a ridiculous, RIDICULOUS discrepancy and one that I

Oct 23, 2012, 12:53 PM

hope our Athletic Dept./Administration is pointing out to the powers that be. I mean, 17 to 3? Come on, that's a bunch of crap it's so one-sided.

The 'powers that be' are happy with that stat. That means

Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

they only failed to get a day game 3 times!!

Re: Football Update: Dabo Swinney on Night games

Oct 23, 2012, 1:13 PM

Except for BC, all of our away/neutral site games this year will have been at night and all of our home games will prolly all be day games.

That's kinda stupid.

Nooner's are cheaper on Clemson too, thats why the admin

Oct 23, 2012, 1:16 PM

likes them. Night games make the town of Clemson and sorounding areas a ton of money, not clemson, thats why they don't care about night games

Who is to say folks that live 4-5 hours away...

Oct 23, 2012, 1:21 PM

can not get a hotel in greenville cheaper? There is nothing saying you have to pay that and stay in clemson for a night game.

Re: Who is to say folks that live 4-5 hours away...

Oct 23, 2012, 3:13 PM

Or Anderson.

Or do like I do and camp at one of the state parks in the area. Make a weekend out of it and it costs less than 20 bucks a night.

No more noon games more night games

Oct 23, 2012, 1:32 PM

More night games or mid afternoon no more noon games noon games everyone still half asleep and so is the team, the South Carolina needs to be a night game that would make it so much better and we play better in mid afternoon and nights as well we tend to not play very well in noon games.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic