Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Virginia Tech Review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,514

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Virginia Tech Review

Mar 28, 2024, 11:23 AM

Virginia Tech Review

Virginia Tech Review
Saturday was a strange game.

Several times each week I watch a game and ask, "How in the world is that team winning?" That was my reaction Saturday.

Virginia Tech ran 78 plays to Clemson's 66.

The Hokies ran for 199 yards compared to Clemson's 135.

Tech pas

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Virginia Tech Review

Oct 22, 2012, 11:41 AM

Shuey was awesome out there on Saturday. He seemed to be in on every play. I hope he continues to play at a high level of both skill and enthusiasm.

Even though we won this game I was utterly disgusted with it right through the final horn. It was as fugly a game as I've ever witnessed. I suppose I should be happy with a 3-TD win but I also know that a more talented team would have capitalized on our frustrations and taken that win away. Let's hope our team can recover in a short week and avoid a trap at Wake.

Only stat that counts is the scoreboard. And

Oct 22, 2012, 12:38 PM

I thought VT's D was very stout-yea, our O was off but their D had a little to do with it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Virginia Tech Review

Oct 22, 2012, 1:08 PM

Don't forget, our defense looked great in two games last year as well: both VT games. I remember people saying after the first VT game that our "D" had turned a corner and was improving. Until I see an improved defense on the field against someone other than VT, I will remain unconvinced and worried.

A game that was "Never in doubt" ?? Really?

Oct 22, 2012, 3:48 PM

I had a LOT of doubt for MOST of the game.

Apparently so did our coaches when we were up 14 with under 4 minutes left and didn't feel secure enough to put Cole Stoudt in there on our final possession.

In hind-sight, yes ... we controlled things for most of the game, but after going up 31-10 ... our defense immediately let them slice though us like a hot knife through butter to close to 31-17 and plant seeds of doubt that remained until Tajh battered them into submission by scoring the final TD.

Even up 14, our defensive shortcomings kept that game "in doubt" because we were still just a TD and an onsides kick away from being in trouble.

That's how I saw it anyway ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A game that was "Never in doubt" ?? Really?

Oct 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

You should really start taking a different approach to watching football games.

In the past, I would have been furious that Va Tech drove right down the field and scored fairly easily on their 1st drive. I would have said "Well here we go, there's no way we're going to stop them at all today."

After last year I realized that no game is safe until the 4th quarter. I've learned to stay very even-keeled until the 4th qtr, at that point I may start to get worried. Just because they scored easily on us at first, that has little correlation to what happens the rest of the game. We did pretty well defensively.

I'm not sure why you were ""in doubt" because we were still just a TD and an onsides kick away from being in trouble." Why so pessimistic?

Were you "doubtful" that we would win? Were you expecting us to lose? I would say in order to be "in doubt" you should be down by at least 14 points in the 2nd half. 60 minutes is a lot of football, and allows for frequent lead changes and big comebacks.

The coaching staff was obviously in doubt ...

Oct 23, 2012, 8:41 AM

... they left Tajh in there until the bitter end trying to keep the ball out of Va Tech's hands and working him hard to put those insurance points on the board.

After the first quarter, I never felt as if we'd lose, but I cannot say that I felt totally safe either.

To me, the game was always "in doubt" until we scored late and put it totally out of reach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you, apex, 100%

Oct 23, 2012, 10:15 PM [ in reply to A game that was "Never in doubt" ?? Really? ]

What if we would have gone (for another) 3 and out after they scored their last touchdown? That was a very plausible event given how terrible our offense played. Then what? I wasn't comfortable until we scored our final TD (which too 4 tries from the goal line by the way) and there was less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

Field position and turnovers were the difference in this one

Oct 22, 2012, 3:55 PM

Kind of like what Florida did to SCAR.

4 turnovers & 2 turnovers-on-downs in scoring range hurt VT

Oct 22, 2012, 4:03 PM

That's also what led to the incongruity between the scoreboard and the stats that Mickey cited. Three times VT chewed clock and yardage marching down the field, but came up empty-handed (1 pick and 2 turnovers-on-downs).

It's tough to win with 4 turnovers (and 2 turnovers on down from within FG range).

Re: 4 turnovers & 2 turnovers-on-downs in scoring range hurt VT

Oct 23, 2012, 10:48 AM

It also shows how important it is to make a team drive the ball a long way to score. Much can go wrong on a long drive with a team that gets yardage a few at a time. Field position is so critical, and kickoff and punt coverage oftentimes win or lose games. I believe our coverage was pretty good Saturday, and that was a very nice change from some of our games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replay Officials

Oct 23, 2012, 12:47 PM

Pretty poor replay officiating - I thought Clemson benefiting from a few calls. However, the announcer went a little over the top and became quite annoying.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,514
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic