Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense

Oct 20, 2012, 9:52 PM

Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense

Brent Venables said there are still a lot of things to work on following Clemson's win on Saturday, but he can also see the beauty in the improvement of Clemson's defense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely showing some improvement, which is encouraging,

Oct 20, 2012, 10:07 PM

but still a long way to go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

400+ Yards. We were Lucky.

Oct 20, 2012, 11:33 PM

Leave Reader in for more than 12 plays. My stomach is still upset. VaTech offense is terrible. There defense has been allowing 500 yards per game. To chumps. What gives?

Re: 400+ Yards. We were Lucky.

Oct 20, 2012, 11:52 PM

38-17 without the offense showing up. Guess some of you won't be happy until we have a defense that gives up 0 yards and an offense that scores 70 a game. Then you would complain and say we should have negative yards on D and 75 points a game. Why can't you people just enjoy every win and the improvement by the defense every week?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2012, 12:15 AM

I love this win but at the same time, I have never felt so lucky after a game. Things definitely went our way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait, are those options?

Oct 21, 2012, 12:22 AM [ in reply to Re: 400+ Yards. We were Lucky. ]

;)

I agree, but at the same time I think many of us have seen

Oct 21, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: 400+ Yards. We were Lucky. ]

this play out.

we show improvement against teams with no offense and then the truth is shown and you guys say "we can't win them all"

I do see improvements,but lets see what we do the rest of the yr before we claim they're back. Beat the terps/pack/coots then celebrate

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the devils and deacs***

Oct 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, but at the same time I think many of us have seen

Oct 21, 2012, 11:55 AM [ in reply to I agree, but at the same time I think many of us have seen ]

I'm grateful for the win (and for a couple of those calls!), but I don't think anyone would argue that Va. Tech is a very good team. Let's just concentrate on Thursday night at Wake. That could be a bear trap.

well

Oct 21, 2012, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: 400+ Yards. We were Lucky. ]

is the object to score more points and keep them from scoring or...win the stat line?

Oct 21, 2012, 7:56 AM [ in reply to 400+ Yards. We were Lucky. ]

there are going to be ugly wins. This was one of them. Boyd had a terrible start to the game, but found his rhythm late. I am happy to see that, in an ugly win, our defense was getting better and stepped up to help an offense that was having a terrible game. We actually need to have games like this. They need to see that not every game is going to be 40+ points. When things are ugly, and what we usually do is just not working, they need to realize that they have to win "ugly". Did the deffense do great - yes, it did in critical points of the game. Not overall, but they stepped up and made plays where they needed to. A win, is a win, is a win. I would love to have Alabama's or LSU's defense, but we don't get there overnight from where we were.

I as you was a little disgruntled after the game

Oct 21, 2012, 11:08 AM [ in reply to 400+ Yards. We were Lucky. ]

But on the long ride home I had some time for reflection.

Winning is like being late. A minute or a month you're still late. Win by 1 or 100...a win is a win.

Think about it.......Our O scored 32 points and had a VERY bad day. The Oline played about as poorly as they have all year....but I give them a pass. They were supposed to be the weak link this year and have turned out to be a bright spot. At the game I was thinking that Tajh was staring down receivers.....but after some discussion....VT was playing man...so stare them down...it really didn't matter. Other than he missed a few wide open receivers.

Our D is truly showing some improvement.....We need a secondary that can tackle. And that is a reflection on the coach.....the secondary coach.....but coachV is ultimately responsible...he knows that and will do what he has to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Glad to see improvement. Shuey impressed. Keep at it!***

Oct 21, 2012, 1:22 AM

best D performance for sure - proud - lots of progress to

Oct 21, 2012, 2:27 AM

go though - I believe in the D - sure enough, we will soon be cheering for the D like the old days -

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think DJ Reader should just concentrate on football.

Oct 21, 2012, 5:51 AM

Kyle Parker was probably a better baseball player than footballer, but splitting time hurt him in football
especially it seemed like in 2010 when he missed alot of the spring and summer practices and workouts.
Focusing on just football has helped Nuk become a better player. Besides, how many 300 lb star baseball
players do you know and don't say Prince Fielder. Reader has "greatness in him" in football and could be
almost "Fridge" like.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think DJ Reader should just concentrate on football.

Oct 21, 2012, 12:01 PM

I totally agree. With year-round football-type workouts, I think he has the potential to be a great one. I relly hope the coaches make him aware of this, and he forgets playing baseball.

Re: Front Page Story: Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense

Oct 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

Improvement yes.

But still D gave up over 400 yds of offense to VT whose offense and defense is clearly in decline this year.

And if you like football stats, make note of these.

Stat of the Game: Clemson ran just 66 plays and gained 295 total yards of offense, and still won. The Hokies ran 78 plays and gained 406 total yards. 

Clemson ranking
Rushing defense. 99
Passing defense. 63
Overall defense. 91

Chew on those numbers Coach V

Defense has 2 stats that matter

Oct 21, 2012, 10:23 AM

Points allowed and turnovers

Re: Defense has 2 stats that matter

Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM

I agree...

Re: Defense has 2 stats that matter

Oct 21, 2012, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Defense has 2 stats that matter ]

I would throw in three and out too!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense

Oct 21, 2012, 10:33 AM

And if you are really interested in a good comparison with Clemson's defense and stats, go to the NCAA site link and look at how new DC at Oklahoma is performing. Keep in mind Ok has no softie ACC schedule either.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/ranking_summary/DIVISIONB.HTML

Apples and Oranges....

Oct 21, 2012, 10:57 AM

Not exactly "new" DC at Oklahoma, also they were much further ahead of us from a talent standpoint, remember this defense gave up 70 in the OB.

You are right Oklahoma has played a tougher schedule, but you still can't make an accurate comparison, too many variables.

How abou this for irony......

Oct 21, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables sees beauty in improvement of defense ]

This is your post after the GT game:
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12905702#12905702

Well we saw that saturday, offense struggles, and guess what? 38-17 WIN!

After browsing through your post history, I have determined that you are either the most negative Clemson fan ever or you are a worthless trolling COOT!

Either way GET OFF OUR BOARD!!!

*about****

Oct 21, 2012, 11:03 AM

Re: How abou this for irony......

Oct 21, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to How abou this for irony...... ]

Not getting off the board and certainly no coot here.

Take the blinders off. Be realistic.

Both BV and Stoops are seasoned defense coordinators.

Ok is 15th in overall defense, Clemson 91.

That's a fact.

Noone is claiming our Defense is good......

Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 AM

I am just pointing out that they weren't good pre-Veneables and he has coached 7 whole games with this group.

Just for the record we are 16th in red zone defense, with our offense I will accept a bend don't break D.

Re: How abou this for irony......

Oct 21, 2012, 12:07 PM [ in reply to How abou this for irony...... ]

Speak for yourself. This is our board, not yours, and he has every right to his opinion. Okay, Vladimir?

Says the guy with a 25% pulse.......

Oct 21, 2012, 3:05 PM

this in not fgf and we don't want you here. BTW it wasn't his opinion I took issue with, it was the info he was presenting as facts.

Not looking for beauty, I want blood***

Oct 21, 2012, 12:14 PM

nm

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic