Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues

Sep 25, 2012, 3:14 PM

Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday that he thinks the defense has the talent to overcome many of the early-season problems. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables will get this D better as the season progresses.

Sep 25, 2012, 3:22 PM

By November 24th they will be tested and ready.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he doesn't, I'm going to strap on my little boy pants

Sep 25, 2012, 3:27 PM

and do absolutely nothing about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: Venables will get this D better as the season progresses.

Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Venables will get this D better as the season progresses. ]

Frankly, I don't think so. The strength and talent isn't there.

Re: Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues

Sep 25, 2012, 3:33 PM

nice article but he pretty much has to say this whether he believes it or not. he cant say or admit we don't if he were to feel that is the case.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues

Sep 25, 2012, 3:52 PM

He ain't got to say nothing like what he said... all the coaches know we have an experience deficit... Consider how many players got significant snaps against BallState and Furman. We are playing a lot of different personnel when we can. Venebles poitned out in the article he should haved played more against FSU, Chad Morris said the same about the offense. By November we will have a seasoned team...but we are not there yet.... FSU has a lot of seniors and juniors on their 2 deep. We will have that in 2 years... but we ain't there yet.

Re: so we're young

Sep 25, 2012, 3:59 PM

that really gets old. get used far too often here and at other schools

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thank you

Sep 25, 2012, 4:05 PM

really, really old..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It happens to be true.

Sep 25, 2012, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: so we're young ]

11 seniors and 11 juniors out of 80 players. 72% of this team is underclassmen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Not even close!

Sep 26, 2012, 9:37 AM

Goodman - Sr
Jarret - Soph
Williams - Soph
Crawford - Soph
Tig - RS Sr
Corico - Sr
Quandon - RS Jr
Anthony - Soph
Robinson - Jr
Rashard - Sr
Brewer - Sr
Meeks - Sr
Breeland - RS Soph.

I see a whole lot of Jr's and Sr's there. Crawford could even be considered a 3rd year player with his one year of prep school. This is his 3rd year out of high school. The one area we are young is the DT position. No doubt about that. Anthony is a Soph but played a lot of snaps last year as did Crawford.

The youth excuse is getting tiresome on Tigernet. I guess unless you have an entire roster of seniors you're consider "young".

Reading comprehension issues?

Sep 26, 2012, 12:42 PM

My reference was to the roster of 80.

Sep 25, 2012, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: so we're young ]

Well, in our case it really is true. Most of us knew that was the case going into the season. Now, I think it's a shame that we don't have more experienced, high quality depth, but we don't. That used to be the case with the offense, too, but that seems better. I think we are heading in the right direction, but it takes time, and patience and players and staff. Even Nick Saban didn't get Alabama into the NC game his first year or 2, and we don't have Nick Saban as our coach, his assistants, his resources, his school's and his conference's low academic requirements, etc., either. Remember, the even the coots beat them a couple of years ago.

Sep 26, 2012, 12:20 AM

Yada, yada, yada. Same old song and dance. Carolina will crush us.

Whatever COOT!!***

Sep 26, 2012, 2:30 AM

Sep 26, 2012, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re: so we're young ]

If that is what you truly believe and that we are not improving as a program and as a team, then you may want to pull for another team, unless you already do. I see lots to be excited about.

Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues ]

Here we go with the "youth" excuse again. Same as in the last several years. BS.

Reggie did!.......LOL***

Sep 25, 2012, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables says defense has the talent to overcome defensive issues ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all due respect, a coach can never or will never

Sep 25, 2012, 4:04 PM

say publicly that he lacks the talent. It would be his death knell, both from the standpoint of his own players, his peers and boss, and the whole organization.

Behind some very closed doors, he will put it different, to certain people.

That's just the reality of it - you can't really get the truth in a public statement.

Reggie Herring says "now you tell me".***

Sep 25, 2012, 4:12 PM

Morris come in saying our WRs were slower than Tulsa's.

Sep 25, 2012, 4:22 PM [ in reply to With all due respect, a coach can never or will never ]

Then Sammy arrived. But it's not like a coach can't tell it like it is.

I'll admit that it's not a great idea to publicly say that your players lack talent, but you also don't have to come out and publicly say that they are a talented group. So I'll take Venables at his word-- especially considering that the roster is full of 3, 4, & 5 stars.

Re: Morris come in saying our WRs were slower than Tulsa's.

Sep 26, 2012, 12:30 AM

Have you been wataching this defense?? They get progressively worse.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?***

Sep 26, 2012, 1:23 AM

He's a Coot, doesn't have anything to do w what you wrote***

Sep 26, 2012, 2:33 AM

Thank you, and I agree

Sep 25, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to With all due respect, a coach can never or will never ]

the problem that I have with our defense is...
I didn't expect them to have a REAL drastic
transformation 4 games in from this year to last year.
I was just hoping for some gradual improvement.
WHICH WE HAVEN'T!!

In fact, the defense is probably worse than last year's
at this point.

Re: With all due respect, a coach can never or will never

Sep 26, 2012, 12:28 AM [ in reply to With all due respect, a coach can never or will never ]

I agree.

Venables has obviously read Sun Tzu's Art of War. A main

Sep 25, 2012, 4:47 PM

message Tzu puts across is that you cannot blame your troops when it's your job as a leader to ensure you have communicated clearly and thoroughly to them. You must accept responsibility for their failures. I think BV will actually make good on his claims of, "We'll get it fixed."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables has obviously read Sun Tzu's Art of War. A main

Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 AM

How do you do that with untalented players who apparently have never learned the way to the weight room?

Tackling

Sep 25, 2012, 4:50 PM

As a whole we have been a pretty poor tackling defense for a while now. Young or old, there is no excuse in that. Basic fundamentals. Our defense looks light we only have 8 players on the field and good defenses like FSU's look like they have 12 players on the field flying around. Just my 2 cents.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tackling

Sep 26, 2012, 12:36 AM

Right. Soft and weak. End of story. But not to worry, Dabo thinks we have an outstanding strength program. How can he have come from Alabama and believe that?

I'm disappointed that BV doesn't read Tigernet

Sep 25, 2012, 5:57 PM

To find out what's wrong with our defense. What kind of coach is he?

Re: I'm disappointed that BV doesn't read Tigernet

Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 AM

He has to be very careful in what he says because Dabo is so utterly defensive (and in denial) regarding our strength program. Dabo "loves" our linebackers, and believes we have major talent on defense. Hello!

An Observation

Sep 25, 2012, 8:15 PM

I'm going to say it. I love my Tigers supremely. I also watch other CFB teams, and love to analyze and compare. There are only so many 4 & 5 star players. So when I see defenses loaded with 2 & 3 star recruits with big arms and thunder thighs tossing around good offenses, what gives? Yes, I'm opening the can of worms, STRENGTH & FITNESS. Watch a mid to lower tier SEC team, and see how they just slam the poo out of non conference opponents.

Just sayin'.

Re: An Observation

Sep 26, 2012, 12:44 AM

Man, you have hit the nail on the head. My hat is off to you for having the guts to tell it like it is. Our strength program is terrible. The problem starts there. Amen!

You're absolutely right. S&C staff is not

Sep 26, 2012, 9:41 AM

only about strenght and conditioning, but it's also their job to instill an attitude and physicality to the players during summer workouts and drills. When I watch the player drills videos released by the staff on clemsontigers dot com, the players are laughing and lollygagging around. When you watch videos from other schools their staffs have those guys getting after it 110%, really busting their chops out there. And that translates on the field. Stopping the run is about discipline but its also about attitude and just wanting it more than the other guy trying to block you. I dont see any of that on the Tigers defense right now. No meanness, no chip on their shoulder, no desire to beat the block and make the tackle.

"little boy pants" = point foryou

Sep 25, 2012, 10:52 PM

Best line I've read today. Got a good chuckle out of that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dogs know what to do when something runs at them***

Sep 25, 2012, 11:17 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My dogs know what to do when something runs at them***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:52 AM

Wish our defense did. But then they don't have the strength and toughness to do it. Who is Accountable?

70% underclassmen, no depth, faced #4 team in the country...

Sep 26, 2012, 1:45 AM

Some of you seriously need to step back and assess the situation.

i***

Sep 26, 2012, 2:36 AM

Sep 26, 2012, 10:52 AM

Then let's see all that talent. If you talent you need to use it.

Sep 26, 2012, 2:01 PM

The defense would be better if he played Steward, Townsend, Davis, Barnes, and move Blanks to safety. If he continues to play the same players the results will remain the same.

Can't remember. Did we hire a strength

Sep 26, 2012, 11:03 AM

Coach assistant? If so, how is that working out?

Maybe Venebles has the intelligence

Sep 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

to trash the stupid zone blocking playbook and give us some real defensive blocking/tackling plays

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic