Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Sunday night news and notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Sunday night news and notes

Sep 23, 2012, 7:32 PM

Sunday night news and notes

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney wraps up Clemson's loss at Florida St., gives the injury report and talks about potential personnel changes in this edition of Sunday night news and notes. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martin Jenkins loss was catastrophic.

Sep 23, 2012, 7:58 PM

Most physical CB, hands down, and one of the fastest players on the team, regardless of position.

Garry Peters has been somewhat of a disappointment during his first 3 years on campus (well-built CB w/ offers from the likes of Alabama and FSU out of HS), and aside from Breeland, Cortez Davis is the most physically gifted CB on the team. Once he fully grasps Coach V's 'book and gains more confidence, he'll be a good one.

Hall (poor lateral movement from bum knee & gets caught out of position far too often for a vet), Brewer (solid tackler, but coverage skills are lacking), D-Rob (solid in coverage - despite play last night - but confidence is in the gutter, at the moment).

Montravius Adams is a one-man wrecking machine, but Fuller was #1 on Dabo's board for a reason. He's going to be GREAT, and we desperately need a lock-down CB to grow with Blanks at S. Losing him to VT's tough.

Agreed. Jenkins wasn't very big but had huge heart

Sep 23, 2012, 8:05 PM

he was great in the middle and agaisnt slants and those are what kills us at times. If he was in he'd attack the WR in the slant instead of sitting back and waiting for him to get 5-10 yards.

Davis will get some PT soon enough and I think he'll be a great player when he puts it all together.

Re: Agreed. Jenkins wasn't very big but had huge heart

Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 PM

I agree with y'all.... I'm no coach , but I am not impressed with Robinson at all. Would have loved for someone like Jenkins to play that position. I never come on here and bash players, but I couldn't let this one go. I do hope that he responds accordingly. GO TIGERS!!!

Re: Martin Jenkins loss was catastrophic.

Sep 24, 2012, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Martin Jenkins loss was catastrophic. ]

Montravius Adams is a one-man wrecking machine, but Fuller was #1 on Dabo's board for a reason. He's going to be GREAT, and we desperately need a lock-down CB to grow with Blanks at S. Losing him to VT's tough.

Who? Fuller?

Ahmad Fuller, #1 or 2 corner in 2013 class depending on the

Sep 24, 2012, 2:27 PM

recruiting service.

Came down to us and VT and he chose VT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why risk a 90-yd return? Why not have kicker drill it?

Sep 24, 2012, 4:37 AM

Dabo complained about the momentum changing 90-yard kick off return. But with the new KO rules, can't the kickers (certainly Benton) boot it out of the end zone every time? Didn't Dabo likely call for the kicker to kick it short enough to entice a return so that Clemson could pin down FSU with kick coverage? If so, that would seem like a foolish risk against FSU's two talented kick returners.

And what was with that time-out that Dabo wasted on an extra point attempt to avoid a delay of game penalty? I don't think I've ever seen a delay of game on an extra point. But if the extra point team can't get on the field in time, I'd say a time out is far more valuable than 5 lousy yards on an extra point attempt.

I hate to encourage your criticisms of Dabo, but in this

Sep 24, 2012, 6:48 AM

case I might be in agreement with you. I'm guessing Benton can put it deep every time. If so, I can't imagine for the life of me why we would keep kicking a returnable ball to them. Dang, I'd rather kick it out of bound every time and give them the 35. It was obvious we couldn't pin them deep with our kick coverage unit.

On the other hand, if Benton was kicking as deep as he could every time, why was it so short? Was there a swirling wind? Didn't look like it on Catman's FG. That was pretty.

One more thought. If Benton couldn't kick it deep, why not give Pinion a shot at it?

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re:Post game, Dabo said the short kickoffs not intentional

Sep 24, 2012, 6:51 AM

Kickers just did not hit it well. (sigh)

Kicks not on Dabo

Sep 24, 2012, 8:10 AM [ in reply to I hate to encourage your criticisms of Dabo, but in this ]

Benton had teh kick-off duties at the beginning of the game. He wasn't kicking it deep so they brought Pinion in. Pinion kicked it deep on the first kick. The next time he went in on a kickoff he miss hit the ball and the result was the 89 yd return.

That said there isn't a lot of excuses for 250+ return yards in a game. Seems the coverage teams need some work. Special teams (minus Catman) were a big problem all night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kicks not on Dabo

Sep 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

I love our coach, however, and this is the first complaining about him i have ever done, but after we went up 28 to 14 , he was over there jumping around like a dang cheerleader. He was acting like we won the game and he was celebrating....Maybe he should do alittle less cheerleading and a little more of being the CEO on the sideline. (SEE NICK SABAN) im not saying i want Dabo to be like Nick , but all the cheerleading and jumping around tells 18 to 22 year olds, we got it made... and then we give up that return... just saying

Re: Why risk a 90-yd return? Why not have kicker drill it?

Sep 24, 2012, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Why risk a 90-yd return? Why not have kicker drill it? ]

Exactly. That is exactly when the freaking mo shifted. The 3 & outs were the icing on the death cake. Put the flippin' rock on the 25, and make them take it all the way.

Re: Front Page Story: Sunday night news and notes

Sep 24, 2012, 2:20 PM

dabo, this is just my feeling; every group dl, ol, lbs, rec, sec, needs a mentor, aplayer to lead that group. the ol has one, the others, with exception of the rec, do not. younneed a leader in the secondary. #17 looks good at times.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic