Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables concerned about depth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables concerned about depth

Aug 21, 2012, 6:20 PM

Venables concerned about depth

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said that Kansas State played with just 11 players back in the late 90s, and says the Clemson Tigers face the same kind of situation in 2012
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is going to be a long season guys ---

Aug 21, 2012, 6:35 PM

11 ? this translates to no depth at all..

We see how our defense was last year and god help us this year.

yucks!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: it is going to be a long season guys ---

Aug 21, 2012, 6:40 PM

Having 11 guys who know what they're doing will be better than having 33 guys who are totally lost like under Steele.

^^^^^This^^^^^***

Aug 21, 2012, 7:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 21, 2012, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

Exactly!!! I will also take 11 knowing what's going on over 66 that doesn't. Amen!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2012, 7:06 PM [ in reply to it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

it is really hard to believe that some of you goobers claim to be college graduates, much less clemson graduates.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2012, 7:37 PM

The pulse oughtta tell you something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 21, 2012, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

D.C. told IPTAY reps after Sat that Clemson was not afraid to play in Georgia and that Clemson could beat all the teams Clemson plays this year.

Aug 21, 2012, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

Amen!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhh.....

Aug 21, 2012, 7:50 PM [ in reply to it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

Call me crazy,but...I think our defense is going be
alot better than many people think.

Aug 21, 2012, 7:54 PM [ in reply to it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

21% pulse shows us he is always negative. Don't by what the coot says

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read the entire thing if so you would know that he

Aug 21, 2012, 8:01 PM [ in reply to it is going to be a long season guys --- ]

listed 20 plus players that would play right away. They are thin at two position DE and DB.

I'd say thin at DT too

Aug 22, 2012, 9:33 AM

there are bodies but it's not what I'd call experienced depth

Re: Front Page Story: Venables concerned about depth

Aug 21, 2012, 6:39 PM

Let's hope he's a big pessimist.

Aug 21, 2012, 6:45 PM

Hopefully Venables is borrowing a page from the Danny Ford playbook and downplaying what we have on D. Its always better to exceed expectations than to fall short.

Agreed; and am I the only one that notices a sly, almost

Aug 21, 2012, 7:01 PM

sneaky grin on his face? It's like he's trying to hide it but can't quite suppress it all the way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agreed; and am I the only one that notices a sly, almost

Aug 21, 2012, 7:02 PM

I choose to stay optimistic until proven otherwise! 12-0 baby!

Re: Agreed; and am I the only one that notices a sly, almost

Aug 21, 2012, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Agreed; and am I the only one that notices a sly, almost ]

Please don't feed the coot BV's secrets....

Jenkins' status for '12-'13 is a HUGE concern.

Aug 21, 2012, 6:49 PM

He's one of the fastest players on the team, regardless of position, and he's undoubtedly the most physical CB on the roster.

Garry and Cortez must rise to the occasion if Jenkins is a no-go.

I disagree

Aug 21, 2012, 8:31 PM

Hate that we won't have him available. But his impact
or lack there of, will be minimal.(Jenkins)

Watch out for Peters!!(mark that down)*

Re: I disagree

Aug 21, 2012, 11:07 PM

I disagree. Losing your only depth player with any significant snaps at DB isn't anything to scoff at.

Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time:

Aug 21, 2012, 6:56 PM

DE: Goodman, Crawford, Beasly, Barnes

DT: Watson, Watkins, Williams, Jarrett, Reader, Barnes

LB: Teek, Willard, Wright, Anthony, Shuey, Goodson, Christian

DB: Hall, Peters, Brewer, Meeks, Blanks, Jenkins, Breeland, Robinson, hopefully Davis.

That's a lot more then 11 and I know coach V knows what he's doing. However, most of these guys were getting very positive reviews up until this point in camp and the summer. I think Venables is just down playing right now which is fine with me.

Re: Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time:

Aug 21, 2012, 7:13 PM

I think Vic has a bright future, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him getting "a lot of time." He's a 230-pound DE. He excels as a situational edge-rusher (3rd-and-longs), but he's not the end you want battling a 300-pound tackle in the run game.

Also, as great as Watkins and Reader have been throughout camp, they're still true freshmen. Grinding in the trenches in the GA Dome on ESPN is a different animal.

Peters and Davis are going to be ballers down the road (maybe even as soon as this season... who knows?), but they're both inexperienced. Jenkins' physicality is a huge plus, especially in run support, and if he's a no-go this year, Peters has to step up.

Agreed. A few were hopefuls I guess

Aug 21, 2012, 7:25 PM

I really do think that we have more then 11-15 that will step up.

WV had a guy 225 lbs at DE and he was a 1st round pick***

Aug 21, 2012, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time: ]

WV played a weird scheme

Aug 22, 2012, 9:36 AM

their DEs were essentially LBs who blitzed a lot

He's the morph to a 3-4. Venables isn't showing his hand.

Aug 22, 2012, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time: ]

Even when directly questioned about the 3-4, he coyly skirted it. I think we're going to see a variety of packages out of the 4-3 as the season progresses. Why tell everybody what to expect?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The biggest risk is rest for a defense that

Aug 21, 2012, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time: ]

May be on the field an above avg amount of time. With a fast paced and potentially fast scoring (or God forbid fast 3 and out) offense, the defense gets a heckuva work out.

Would really like to have numbers of good quality depth.

I hope he is sandbagging. If not, grow up quick tiger cubs!

Agreed. I actually don't think we can RS Aiken

Aug 21, 2012, 7:26 PM

we need another every down DE at Bandit behind crawford. Vic Beasly is still a 3rd down speed rusher off the edge.

Re: Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time:

Aug 21, 2012, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time: ]

SHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

From your list

Aug 22, 2012, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Players I feel comfortable getting a lot of time: ]

I feel comfortable with:

DE: Goodman, Crawford, maybe Barnes
DT: Williams, Watson, Jarrett (I'm wait-and-see on the true freshmen)
LB: Townsend, Willard, Wright, Anthony, Christian
DB: Hall, Brewer, Meeks (if he uses his arms to tackle), Breeland, hopeful for Blanks (again, true freshman so reserving judgement)

That puts me at 16, I think Hall is a question mark for Venables because of the injury, and he might not be comfortable with Townsend in pass coverage yet.

At least Venables is straight up about what he sees. That...

Aug 21, 2012, 7:43 PM

alone is going to pay dividends, IMO. I have no plans on thinking it's going to be a "long season" at all. I think we have all kinds of guys that are going to step up and fill some big shoes. If not, then so be it. I have a good feeling about it though. Watson getting healthy at DT has been big. Williams and Grady may not be 6'5, but neither was Brandon Thompson. Barnes and Vic B seem like they're ready to play more so now than last year. We're deep with talent at LB now. The secondary SHOULD be pretty good. Brewer, Meeks, Hall, Breeland and Robinson are all back. Blanks is good enough to play and play well as a true freshman. I really wish Jenkins hadn't gotten hurt. I hope Peters or Cortez Davis can step up there. Robert Smith is a guy nobody talks about, but he's jacked up and is a gamer. Smith will probably play a lot.

Re: At least Venables is straight up about what he sees. That...

Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 PM

I see a lot of names but I'm not seeing Lateek Townsend name, Dabo said, he was a violet player....which we need. Turn him loose....

Aug 21, 2012, 7:59 PM

He should be alright this season. When he was at OU, he had depth and now at Clemson, he just has to build it up. In honestly, it will show what kind of DC he really is with all the challenges ahead of him. One good think is that he is not facing some of the best offensive teams in the country in the ACC.

Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 PM

Hmmmmm, he will be facing a few pretty stout defenses. UNcheat, FSU, coots, and VT. But if our D in just one notch better than last years. With our O as good or better than last years. We are going to win a lot of games. Doubters keep doubting. I'm going to take a seat on the winners bus myself. Gooooooo Tigerssssss!!!

Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM

We don't play uncheat.

Aug 21, 2012, 8:21 PM

Three things I notice:

Best spring game seen in a number of years.

best recivers catching the ball even when covered well

very good punters and field goal kickers

over all better coaching an talent.

Aug 21, 2012, 9:59 PM

Thank You!!! And here is a plus 1 for ya.

Deer Coach Venables

Aug 21, 2012, 10:38 PM

Just make the defense 50% better than it was last year and we'll be alright. Offense can carry the load another year.

Zero

How much of ALL this coachspeak is really 100% real?

Aug 22, 2012, 1:38 AM

1. A new coach is not going to say everything is wonderful. It's just human nature - if we say things are tough then when we succeed we are a hero and if they're not that great then we're also not blamed too much.

2. Are we really going to tell Auburn we're great?

3. "We only have 11" is also sending a strong message to the other 30+ guys that there are opportunities if they step up.

I'm not saying that we're going to have an awesome defense but I really don't put much stock in anything the coaches say because a lot of it is positioning. But I do believe we HAVE to better than we were last year!

I agree; seems like he's lighting a fire under some A$$es***

Aug 22, 2012, 7:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Much of the coachspeak is motivational.***

Aug 22, 2012, 12:53 PM [ in reply to How much of ALL this coachspeak is really 100% real? ]

Aug 22, 2012, 9:01 AM

Coach speak! Lighting a fire under his troops butts. I hope this gets them motivated to prove to their coach they will get the job done, which is what he is after.

We also tend to forget about the talent level he coached @

Aug 22, 2012, 9:39 AM

OU. No question we don't have the depth at DB....that was obvious for a lot of folks to see. But I think we're not far from getting to where we need to be as the season progresses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic