Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Defensive Backs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,836

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Defensive Backs

Aug 20, 2012, 11:34 AM

Clemson Defensive Backs

Clemson Defensive Backs
The Tigers struggled in the secondary last season allowing 218 yards per game through the air. This was up from the 192 they allowed per game in 2010. In 2009 the Tigers allowed only 163 per game. Last year was the most passing yards allowed per game since 2001 wh

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Defensive Backs

Aug 20, 2012, 12:12 PM

How about Travis Blanks?

Blanks is a bit difficult to position

Aug 20, 2012, 12:41 PM

he will be the starting nickel back which is a hybrid LB/DB position. Technically he could be grouped with either group or both

Blanks is listed with the SAM backers********

Aug 20, 2012, 1:06 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blanks is listed with the SAM backers********

Aug 22, 2012, 8:37 AM

SAM is the LB spot that converts to a DB depending on the situation. It can be more of a safety/LB spot for a Lateek Townsend type player or more of a corner/safety position which fits Blanks better. Personally, I think we'll see more of both those guys this season.

Given the relative strengths and weaknesses of our defense this season, I think we'll do much better against teams like Ga Tech and usc-e, but may struggle more against NC State and FSU because they have stronger passing games.

I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats

Aug 20, 2012, 1:06 PM

Of course they gave up the most yardage because they played 14 games. The same goes for a ten win season. A more telling stat to talk about would be how many losses in a season. We could all just agree to use our brain and only talk about normalized stats (percentages), but dare to dream. It's all even more meaningless when you take into account the styles of offense played each year, and how the game changes over time. Winning percentage (or losing) is the only one that matters.

I think we will instantly see improved play from the DBs just because they aren't trying to figure out the play call while the ball is being snapped.

Your last line says it all. I'm hoping that's the difference***

Aug 20, 2012, 2:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats

Aug 20, 2012, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats ]

We played a lot of man to man last year. I don't think the confusion came from the DB's as much from the LB's.

We got straight burned on a lot of plays last year, often with safety help over the top.

I'm hoping that more speed and a healthy Rashard Hall will help with that.

I agree

Aug 21, 2012, 12:06 PM [ in reply to I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats ]

Also, I wonder how the time of posession effects the yards through the air. Clemson's quick strike offense would allow the opponent more opportunities through the air would it not? It would seem inevitable that the opponent would have many more opportunities to pass the ball unless we had a dominant D (which wasn't the case...only for VT). Also, if I remember correctly, the vast majority of those yards were chunck plays that gave up substantial yardage.

Re: I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats

Aug 22, 2012, 8:03 AM [ in reply to I'm tired of the "most since..." people use as stats ]

TU to you, mainly due to your last sentence. That says an awful lot, right there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Clemson Defensive Backs

Aug 20, 2012, 2:30 PM

STATS! You gotta love 'em. You can twist them, stuff them, bend them, and whatever else you want to do with them, but they are still JUST STATS! So remember that.

that said, we played the following last year:
troy - 2011 Sun Belt Conference Champions
auburn - 2011 National Champion
FSU - 2011 ACC Atlantic Division winner
VT - 2011 ACC Coastal Division winner and ACC winner
SUC - 2011 SEC East Division winner

STAT THAT!! :)

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,836
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic