Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: New rules changes could affect outcomes of games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: New rules changes could affect outcomes of games

Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 PM

New rules changes could affect outcomes of games

With just over six weeks until the 2012 season kicks off in the Georgia Dome, the Clemson Tigers need to tighten their chin straps. Literally. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What?? They cant just BLOW THE PLAY DEAD if a helmet

Jul 24, 2012, 12:12 PM

comes off? Sounds like ANOTHER way for the Refs to control the outcome of a game to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

so if an opposing player is running and about to score a TD

Jul 24, 2012, 12:19 PM

one of our guys needs to grab a face mask and start ripping on helmets to get the play blown dead...we need to be practicing that right now....

....why are we screwing the rules up?

Why bother?

Jul 24, 2012, 4:09 PM

Just take your own helmet off and throw it on the ground. The new rules don't include a penalty for taking your own helmet off that I saw.

Because someone's baby boy might get hurt.

Jul 24, 2012, 7:03 PM [ in reply to so if an opposing player is running and about to score a TD ]

It's the pussification of America.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

They aren't

Jul 24, 2012, 12:24 PM [ in reply to What?? They cant just BLOW THE PLAY DEAD if a helmet ]

the player that loses the helmet has to quit or he gets a 15 yard penalty.

Sheesh...

Re: They aren't

Jul 24, 2012, 2:01 PM

The article makes it sound like if a running back is running with the ball, gets hit and loses his helmet, then he has to stop running or it's a penalty. This is ridiculous He should just be ruled down. Just like his knee hit the ground or he stepped out of bounds. If the RB just stops (to avoid penalty), someone is going to wind up lighting him up. Gay rule changes. No one HAS to play college football, it's a choice. Everyone knows the risks. Sissifying football is not good for the sport.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats been the rule for years

Jul 24, 2012, 2:48 PM

if anyone running with the ball loses his helmet the play is dead.

But what the article, and Dabo's comments are alluding to is

Jul 24, 2012, 5:18 PM

that instead of just whistling the play dead, it will be a penalty.

I agree with you 100%, but only until you went off the deep

Jul 24, 2012, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: They aren't ]

end on the last 1/2 of your post.

Care to elaborate?***

Jul 24, 2012, 8:21 PM

This is SO dumb.***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:14 PM

these are horrible ideas...it's like they sit around trying

Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 PM

to think of new ways to make the game too subjective to a referee's view. So of those scenarios would just be horrible if they actually occured.

And I am going to write an email to the NCAA to let them

Jul 24, 2012, 12:20 PM

know this is the dumbest thing in the entire world. Well... maybe not THE dumbest, but its up there.

Fair catching an on-side kick !?!?!?! HOLY COW !!!!!***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:25 PM

Clemson

all games will be indoors now

Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM

in a room w/ a 10' ceiling.

hits the ceiling, call a fair catch

High enough to be able to call a legit fair catch, I guess.***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM [ in reply to I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured*** ]

Not sure I know those units***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:32 PM

Clemson

How many feet are there in a "high enough" ?***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:36 PM [ in reply to High enough to be able to call a legit fair catch, I guess.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the rule actually say anything about height?

Jul 24, 2012, 12:38 PM

Or does it just say you can fair catch an onside kick after one bounce?

According to article

Jul 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

"The onside kick has changed. If the ball hits one time and bounces way in the air, you can fair catch the onside kick now."

Clemson

You sure that isn't just conversational tone?

Jul 24, 2012, 12:47 PM

I doubt the rule is worded like that.

i think this covers the on side kick that is drilled into the

Jul 24, 2012, 12:52 PM

ground and takes the high hop
you've always been able to fair catch a regular kick off

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has there been an onside kick that didn't bounce

Jul 24, 2012, 3:07 PM [ in reply to You sure that isn't just conversational tone? ]

at some point?

Clemson

Lord help the KO receiver that is trying to signal for a

Jul 24, 2012, 4:42 PM [ in reply to How many feet are there in a "high enough" ?*** ]

fair catch, run forward, and hope that the opposing team saw him signal for a fair catch...all in about 2 seconds of time! Someone is going to get lambasted! Or penalized.

Doesn't matter

Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM [ in reply to I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured*** ]

All that has changed is that you can now fair catch a kick that bounces only once.

Welll..if its up to Ron Cherry....

Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM [ in reply to I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured*** ]

it won't become an issue until the outcome of the game is potentially riding on it and his decision screws somebody (probably Clemson).

Re: I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured***

Jul 24, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to I wonder how "really high in the air" will be measured*** ]

I heard that a player from each team will designate a judge. Sammy will be the official "high" judge on Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

At one time, if a helmet came off ONCE in a game it was ...

Jul 24, 2012, 12:26 PM

... a big deal! The whole crowd would gasp ... OMG, that guys helmet came off!!!

Now, it is not unusual to see a helmet pop off 5-6 times in a single game.

Ridiculous!! Either equipment is malfunctioning, or the players are not using it correctly.

I applaud taking some sort of corrective action, although I'd hate to see it taken so far that it costs a team a game.

For example ... seems as if Jacoby Ford lost his helmet in a game a couple of years ago as he was crossing the goal line for a TD and they wiped out the 6 points, making us score again. Didn't they place the ball at the one yard line??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At one time, if a helmet came off ONCE in a game it was ...

Jul 24, 2012, 2:09 PM

Yes. The replay showed the ball had not crossed the line even though he was being tackled and crossed the line as the tackle progressed. However, the ruled that since his helmet came off, the play was dead at the instance it came off.

May just be a way to convince them to cut their hair

Jul 24, 2012, 2:48 PM [ in reply to At one time, if a helmet came off ONCE in a game it was ... ]

Giant freaky mops of hair have to have something to do with it too..

If you look at how the kids use the straps

Jul 24, 2012, 4:37 PM [ in reply to At one time, if a helmet came off ONCE in a game it was ... ]

you wouldn't be surprised. Most of them can take their helmets off without unbuckling.

I can see helmets being ripped off to get someone out of a game.

Bet coaches and equipment people drill these kids on tight chin straps now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

That was at FSU about four years ago

Jul 24, 2012, 11:54 PM [ in reply to At one time, if a helmet came off ONCE in a game it was ... ]

It was with about two minutes left and we were down 14.

I remember it as Airese Currie, but it could have been Jacoby Ford.

The biggest problem with the play was that he was well inside the one when the helmet came off -- pretty much simultaneous to him crossing the goalline -- but they spotted it at the one. There's a big difference between the 6 inch line and one yard line, especially late in a game when time is of the essence.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Re: Front Page Story: New rules changes could affect outcomes of games

Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM

Good lord! Do we need skirts instead of thigh pads? If Nancy doesn't want to get hit, play chess or something. This takes so much away from the game. Let the equipment manufacturers improve their stuff for safety! Its a contact sport for heavens sake.

Just have the equipment guy trained to weld them on before

Jul 24, 2012, 12:55 PM

the game. We can always cut the straps if there is a serious injury. Problem solved.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then there should be a penalty for grabbing any part of the helmet to keep opposing players from deliberately jerking helmets off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D Beach

Why not just do this...

Before the snap of the ball issue a 5 yard penalty for improper equipment use. This is how it was handled when I played ball to make sure everyone had all chin straps buckled. The problem with these helmets coming off are all these prima donnas only snapping two of the four straps. How many times do you see them dangling loose before the snap? Nearly every skill guy has them like that on every down.

^^^^^ This ... Frequently it's a RB or WR helmet popping off***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:39 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^^^ This ... Frequently it's a RB or WR helmet popping off***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:42 PM

That's my point...If you look at the wideouts and RB's, many of them only snap four of the two straps. Penalize them right at time of the snap if they haven't secured them all. Should help prevent them from coming off. Four straps have to be bettere than two or they wouldn't be on there.

That sounds reasonable.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Why not just do this... ]

It would be almost impossible for a player to slam on the brakes and stop playing in the middle of a play. This rule is frought with problems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Why not just do this...

Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Why not just do this... ]

They did the same for us in highschool football. I remember we had a 300+ defensive lineman that always had two mouth pieces strapped to his facemask (one in and one dangling for some reason) and on a crucial play my sophomore season they called him for an equipment violation b/c the ref saw the dangling mouth piece... that play cost us a playoff game. from there on we heard about that play before every game of my junior and senior seasons when we got the "strap 'em, and strap 'em tight" conversation.

I'm not one to tread on someone's sense of style, but before you saw a lot of players with dreads you didn't see as many helmets coming off either.

I think that would be a reasonable solution. That way

Jul 24, 2012, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Why not just do this... ]

if the helmet comes off during play from the collisions on the field, then they player isnt penalized for something they had no control over. That is just completely stupid if a running back has his helmet on correctly and runs over the safety and has a clear break for a touchdown but his helmet comes off, then they can continue.

The problem with helmets popping of is a real one.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:32 PM

Seems to me the answer is to figure out why, out of the blue, helmets started popping off all over the place a few years ago, and design a helmet that won't do that. Helmet manufacturers have had a few years to work on it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Looks like they believe it's mainly the player's fault.***

Jul 24, 2012, 7:44 AM

If so, then some kind of penalty is definitely in order.***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:36 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Wow... just wow

Jul 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

"If an offensive lineman’s helmet comes off and he continues to block and the quarterback throws a 40-yard touchdown, we are going to bring it back and penalize them 15-yards for a personal foul because he continued to play.”

Think if this happens not to an O lineman, but to a blocking WR near the sideline, not anywhere close to the play...

Why would a WR nowhere close to the play

Jul 24, 2012, 12:36 PM

Keep blocking? That would be dumb on his part.

Re: Why would a WR nowhere close to the play

Jul 24, 2012, 12:38 PM

it could be a screen going to the other side of the field and he continues to block... he could be jacked up and just want to hit the defender.... who knows, does it really matter why?

Just wants to hit somebody? Well, that's noble.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:39 PM

Why would you ever penalize anyone for such a thing?

Like someone said earlier...

Jul 25, 2012, 1:49 AM [ in reply to Wow... just wow ]

...what's to stop a defensive player from intentionally ripping his own helmet off if he sees a WR or RB or whoever from the opposing team going in for a TD? Venables should coach every defensive player to rip their dang helmet off when it's obvious the other team's about to score. This is the stupidest ###* rule they've ever come up with. Sounds like Swoffie, Lou Holtz, Heather Sammich, and Ron Cherry had a pajama party and wrote it for the NCAA.

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

Start out by calling the helmet to helmet contact.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

Return to the days when a 5 yrd face mask penalty was used.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2012, 12:44 PM

We can what if this new rule all day, only game days will show how the refs will call it, and we all know the refs will not call it the same way for every team.
Just a thought we all took oranges to the ACCCG what if we all bring eggs to every home game for just incase. Yes I'm joking but it's a thought

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

solution for helmets coming off

Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 PM

new chin straps

This helmet rule will screw somebody big sometime this year.***

Jul 24, 2012, 12:51 PM

It's actually quite simple.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:58 PM

Make them wear helmets that properly fit. Also, the top two snaps can be permanently secured so the only ones that are actually snapped on and off are the bottom 2. If you notice it's mostly guys with dreds. The helmet pops off and they slip it back on with no problem. That tells me the helmet is too big to begin with. Or, take my old man's stance..."Take the face masks off, then they'll keep their #@$% helemts on!"

Luckily I dont recall seeing Tajh's helmet......

Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 PM

come off last year nor Sammy's. It would be real bad if that hypothetical Tajh helmet come off situation happened.

Re: Luckily I dont recall seeing Tajh's helmet......

Jul 24, 2012, 1:00 PM

LOL...we just need to make sure Tajh is wearing all his pads. We don't want another stupid injury like the BC game where he didn't wear his hip pads so he'd have some "swag." Moron.

When an sec team loses an OOC game that cost them being in

Jul 24, 2012, 1:18 PM

the mnc because of this rule.....it'll be changed.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

In the FSU example though...

Jul 24, 2012, 1:25 PM

In the FSU example though, it sounds like you could take the 15 yard penalty and leave Tajh in. Which would you do? Take the penalty and leave Tajh in or put Stoudt in? I think I'd stick with Tajh.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the FSU example though...

Jul 24, 2012, 2:01 PM

Not a choice. 15 yards is on that play if he keeps playing. Irregardless he has to sit out the next play if his helmet comes off.

Re: In the FSU example though...

Jul 24, 2012, 7:48 PM

baha. irregardless. +1 for your astute grammar.

What about the increase of serious injury on a facemask?

Jul 24, 2012, 1:28 PM

Are RBs and WRs not at more risk for serious injury during a facemask if the helmet doesn't let loose and come off?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2012, 1:35 PM

Just made for Ron Cherry to work against us. I bet he is licking his chops now as to how he can "give us the business".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Properly fitting fully snapped helmets almost NEVER come off

Jul 24, 2012, 1:41 PM

In the 70's and 80's when people strapped up, you almost never saw a helmet come off. Heck, it was hard to get your helmet off even without the straps. Now (despite improved technology) they pop off all the time. Make it a 15-yard penalty if your helmet comes off and you'll never see another helmet come off.

Kids nowadays. :)

Re: Properly fitting fully snapped helmets almost NEVER come off

Jul 24, 2012, 1:59 PM

Would be curious to see the correlation of dreadlocks to helmets coming off.

Re: Properly fitting fully snapped helmets almost NEVER come off

Jul 26, 2012, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Properly fitting fully snapped helmets almost NEVER come off ]

Don't disagree with your statement of helmets not coming off as much in the past. I wonder if all the use of hands that now is allowed and is very commonplace results in more snatching helmets loose/off. I do believe a lot could be improved if a guy buckled up properly. The 15 yard penalty would definitely help.

this will cause more dirty play..i look for guys to try to.

Jul 24, 2012, 2:21 PM

rip helmets off of quality players so they will be off the field a few plays

Re: this will cause more dirty play..i look for guys to try to.

Jul 24, 2012, 3:00 PM

Hands to the helmet is against the rules and future calls for that penalty may be on the rise. And as for helmets flying off, Nuk Hopkins lost his lid multiple times last year. I hope it's not too late and the NC2A makes a few amendments.

What's the change in the halo rule that Dabo

Jul 24, 2012, 4:06 PM

was talking about? I was amazed at some of Nuke's fair catches last year with defenders right in his face.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

If a OL's heltmet comes off and he keeps blocking..

Jul 24, 2012, 4:14 PM

then the QB throws a touchdown they will being it back...

SO, the O-lineman should stop blocking? What if its the left tackle then the QB get injured because he lets his guy go free unopposed?

This is freaking ridiculous.

I have 2 concerns with the helmet rule

Jul 24, 2012, 4:24 PM

I agree with others that an increase will probably be seen in hands to the face penalties. But, how many of these won't be seen and not called? The player then has to leave the field and possibly the team gets a 15 yard penalty.

A DL from the other team rips off the helmet of one of our OL. The OL has two choices. 1. Stop blocking and give the DL a free shot or 2. continue to block and hope the ref saw the penalty. This is what is ridiculous to me. By rule the OL is supposed to stop blocking and the play is blown dead. If the DL finishes the play and clobbers our QB anyway, I'm sure it will be a penalty but who cares while Boyd is injured and out of the game.

I agree with Dabo. They have to coach the kids to play the game they way they always have. They don't have time in the game of football to decide whether they should continue or stop. They have to just keep going.

F*** Ron Cherry.***

Jul 26, 2012, 11:11 PM

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic