Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: So Long Ole Miss and OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: So Long Ole Miss and OSU

Jul 19, 2012, 10:34 AM

So Long Ole Miss and OSU

So Long Ole Miss and OSU
I remember the day I heard Clemson had signed to play a home and home series with Ole Miss. It was a few years ago and I was excited because I had always kinda liked Ole Miss. I liked the stripes on the jerseys. I liked the blue jerseys with grey pants but really

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, right after Swofford completed the volleyball schedule

Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM

he told all the football teams they had to play 9 games. Do you really believe that one person is responsible for this?

Strategic decisions such as this are not made by one person, and certainly not the commissioner. The conference presidents or faculty representatives had a major say in this decision, and others like it. Swofford executes what the decision is.

Does the decision suck? Yes. . .

Another great article, thanks Mikey***

Jul 19, 2012, 11:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

But Mickey, you know it's only a matter of short time before

Jul 19, 2012, 11:28 AM

every conference goes to 9 games. Isn't the SEC the only one not at 9 conference games? You know they'll move to 9, probably within the next 2 years.

Swofford and the ACC are looking out for Clemson.

Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 AM

I can see why we are so committed. It makes perfect sense. It's all good. Zippity-doo-dah . . .

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

True. I like the 9 game schedule because the more talented

Jul 19, 2012, 11:38 AM

teams have a better chance to win the conference.

BTW, I know you were joking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fully expect David Hood to publish an article tomorrow...

Jul 19, 2012, 12:02 PM

that proves beyond any doubt that Swofford had no hand in this debacle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: So Long Ole Miss and OSU

Jul 19, 2012, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry but I disagree. It appears pretty obvious to me that the ACC, and the ACC isn't run by Swofford alone by any means by the way, that this expansion was driven by TV. The NY and Pennsylvania TV markets are HUGE and both of them are on the east coast for expending the Atlantic Coast Conference. Also, maybe Pitt and Syracuse are down in football now but both of them have had national powerhouses before and national championships. If you are going to condemn Pitt, try comparing our last National championship to theirs, 1981 and 1976 respectively.
I would agree that if Texas and Oklahoma really did approach the ACC and were turned down a couple of years back that it was incredibly stupid but is this an absolute fact or conjecture? Also, if it is true, did they just make overtures to the ACC or was there something concrete, like applying to the conference for admission. That said, if they did apply, I can hardly believe that any decision about admitting or not admitting them was left to Swofford. I am no Swofford fan by any stretchy of the imagination but it appears to me that he has become an instant target for anything and everything that is bad about the ACC. The commissioner obviously has the leadership responsibilities but he certainly does NOT make decisions in a vacuum. There are a gracious plenty of other culprits involved in these decisions and although football is the obvious driving force in most of them, there are many other considerations that complicate matters considerably.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penn and NY are huge TV markets. You are correct.

Jul 19, 2012, 2:44 PM

However, those are PRO football markets. And basketball markets. But college football is not that big. If it were, all of these teams would had 80+K stadiums ages ago. How big is Boston College's stadium? And they are in BOSTON?

Does anyone truly think that anyone outside the cities of

Jul 19, 2012, 5:07 PM

Syracuse and Pittsburgh, in the states of New York and Pennsylvania respectively, give a flying rip about those 2 schools? They are not state-wide instittutions. They exist to serve their respective locals. To say that those 2 got us into the New York and Pennsylvania markets, is like embellishing a resume.

My point. Just better said.***

Jul 19, 2012, 5:20 PM

Is revenue from TWO annual home who-cares cupcakes worth it?

Jul 19, 2012, 1:44 PM

Would revenue really suffer if Clemson's 2-year home game average were 6.5 home games (which is 9.3% fewer home games than having 7 home games)?

Couldn't that 9.3% difference be recuperated with higher ticket prices, better attendance, TV revenue, & national excitement/logo item sales (not to mention the intangible benefits of national publicity & increased SOS)? Wouldn't people pay more and attend more highly to see decent games against good teams like Ole Miss & OKSt, instead of slaughters of teams like Coastal Carolina & Presby?

Is there really no way to make 6.5 home games financially feasible?

For example:
On years with 5 ACC home games, schedule:
SCar away.
Ole Miss, OKSt, (or some other good team) home.
1 cupcake home.
Total = 12 games, 7 home games.

On years with 4 ACC home games, schedule:
SCar home.
Ole Miss, OKSt, (or some other good team) away.
1 cupcake home.
Total= 12 games, 6 home games.

YES!

Jul 19, 2012, 5:15 PM

It is worth it...

70,000 fans (not counting students) x $42 average ticket price = $2,940,000

80,000 fans x $10 average concession = $800,000

That's $3,740,000, which doesn't include anything other than tickets and concession.

How much does it cost to take the team on a road trip to Stillwater, OK or Oxford, MS? I'm not sure but pretty sure we can safely estimate the total negative impact of losing a home game for the University at a minimum of $4 million and probably much much more. That's a lot of assistant coaches salaries, etc.....

I vote to move the schedule to 13 games! After all, we don't have enough football in our lives anyway!

Re: YES!

Jul 19, 2012, 5:23 PM

And probably $1 million or more put into the local economy. Hotels, restaurants, and down town shopping. And Clemson gets a cut of everything sold with a tiger paw on it.

You didn't address the difference in attendance & price

Jul 19, 2012, 6:03 PM [ in reply to YES! ]

For example, last season, the official Death Valley attendance for 73,500 for Wofford 82,000 for Auburn (12% higher).

If you played a home-and-home good-team like Auburn, on average over two years, you'd have half of an Auburn-level attendance (41,000) versus a Wofford level of attendance (73,500). If a Wofford-caliber ticket cost $42, then to break even on ticket sales revenue, an Auburn-caliber ticket would have to be $75. Personally, I'd rather pay $75 to see Clemson play an Auburn (Ole Miss, OKSt) caliber opponent than $42 to see Clemson play Wofford. Maybe I'm the exception.

Would the concession revenue be much different? Do people actually arrive early and watch cupcake slaughters for 4 quarters? Not from what I've seen. Would there be less concession profit (not revenue)? Probably. But how much less?

Would Clemson make more money from a nationally televised game that people care about?

Would logo item sales actually increase because of visitors and people watching nationally on TV?

Away games would cost more in travel expenses, but perhaps not too much more if we played nearby teams like UGA & Auburn.

I don't know the answers, but I'd love to see the numbers.

I hate the 9 game conference schedule

Jul 19, 2012, 1:48 PM

However - I fully expect that any conference that currently has a 9 game conference schedule will return to an 8 game one (or 7 games + a semifinal/final) IF the conference expands to 16 teams and uses a 4-pod system. This is what makes the most sense in many aspects and its only a matter of time before a major conference will make the jump to this system. I just hope the ACC is the one to do it right if we're staying put.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate the 9 game conference schedule

Jul 19, 2012, 2:35 PM

As long as swofucford is leading the acc. It will continue its path to rock bottom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's be much easier

Jul 19, 2012, 4:32 PM

if GT, FSU and CU just were invited to the SEC.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

The money from the extra home game won't matter as soon

Jul 19, 2012, 4:35 PM

as our big TV contract money starts rolling in.

Doh!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic