Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC

Jul 3, 2012, 3:03 PM

Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC

Left for dead just a little over a month ago after the announcement of a bowl agreement between the SEC and the Big 12 – with many saying that the announcement signaled the end of the ACC as a power conference – the conference has proven in the past few weeks that it is indeed alive and well. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC

Jul 3, 2012, 3:09 PM

The TV rights to the Orange bowl is huge. Not to mention it sounds like the ACC holds the TV rights themselves and gets to decide how the money will be split. Although the game may not fetch as much as the Champs/Rose bowl the ACC should get just as big of cut because they do not have to share rights.

null

Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC

Jul 3, 2012, 3:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5NweFWjAw

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2012, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC ]

I've got to guess Notre Dame will be part of the mix for Orange Bowl opponents. That should help boost the contract terms with the networks.

Jul 3, 2012, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC ]

I'm not sure that this is a financial windfall in comparison with the current BCS payouts. Today's BCS pays the same amount to every team in every bowl unless one conference gets more than one team in the BCS. Last year, that was $22M. That's what they netted on average from all the bowls including the NCG. I'm guessing that some bowls had lower TV ratings and made less money.

How much do you think it costs to put on one of these bowls? The Orange Bowl in particular is known for their half time show. From stadium rental to security guards and popcorn vendors, it's quite an expense. Assuming that revenues went up 5% every year, more than double the rate of inflation in tough economic times, that would put them at $47.5M in 2012. If expenses were any more than $3.5M, then they would not have enough to pay out the old BCS $22M.

Jul 3, 2012, 3:37 PM

When you take this to the open market you are looking at far more than 47M. I am guessing some of these games could approach the 75M mark. Everyone is going to want a part of the new system.

Also I hope ND is part of the equation and when they do not qualify we look for one of the top 12 at large spots. We should not even think of handing this to another conference because that is giving them essentially another AQ spot.

null

Jul 3, 2012, 4:09 PM

That depends, the OB's TV ratings were pretty low this year.

Jul 3, 2012, 4:15 PM

At 1 pm, I can't see it being any different either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's 1pm on New Year's Day, a football mecca

Jul 5, 2012, 7:03 PM

Big difference between 1pm on NYD and 1pm on some random Wednesday.

it is believed that the conferences are going to share the

Jul 3, 2012, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC ]

semi and national game $ whether the conference participates or not with the participating ones getting a higher %. This would be in addition to the orange bowl revenue

Last year the OB was played @ 9AM on a work day.

Jul 3, 2012, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC ]

exaggeration to make a point

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the details of this agreement are the best part***

Jul 4, 2012, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Breaking down the new Orange Bowl agreement and what it means for ACC ]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like the New Year's Day part

Jul 3, 2012, 3:34 PM

as well as the more $$ part. Now if we could get a 2nd team in the 6 bowls GUARANTEED... that would be impressive

Raycom here we come...

Jul 3, 2012, 3:38 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

your crazy if you think Swofford

Jul 3, 2012, 6:28 PM

would sell the rights to Raycom for the OB. I'm not a fan, and hate the dude, but he made a good move and will sell this to the highest bidder.

I know he forced ESPN to keep Raycom in the mix but the OB is too big a platform for a regional network to buy.

Small pool of potential opponents, very attractive.....

Jul 3, 2012, 3:51 PM

any guesses on this list?

Notre dame***

Jul 3, 2012, 10:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

small pool of teams, meaning......

Jul 3, 2012, 3:52 PM

Notre Dame

^^^misspelled 'group hug!'***

Jul 3, 2012, 3:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^misspelled done deal.******

Jul 3, 2012, 3:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^misspelled wrong tone

Jul 3, 2012, 4:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd7htfeXCO4

did you just play the frank white card?

Jul 3, 2012, 4:21 PM

;)

i got nothing.

Yeah, you're right. That was way overboard.

Jul 3, 2012, 5:25 PM

Apologize. Only blue caddy deserves that kind of reaction.

I notice how they managed to keep the nooner mojo

Jul 3, 2012, 5:42 PM

in place for us (1pm). That will definitely cut into some of its draw (10am on the west coast) and revenue, but it's cool to have a New Year's Day bowl actually played on New Year's Day for a change.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't think the time of the game really matters.

Jul 3, 2012, 6:30 PM

considering a tradition was just reborn for NYE day college football with the 2nd game being a playoff game. Many more people will watch the orange bowl now than they did before.

Plus, I'm down with a 1pm game as I will be super hungover and need an excuse to start drinking again when I wake up.

It's got an old school quality to it, and biting the

Jul 3, 2012, 8:14 PM

hair early is as good a way to start a new year as any.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, or maybe it will be a good thing.

Jul 3, 2012, 9:05 PM [ in reply to I notice how they managed to keep the nooner mojo ]

Playing early catches the people looking to relax and enjoy a game. The evening game will bump up against people getting ready to go back into work.

null

The west coast has the fewest football viewers/population

Jul 5, 2012, 10:21 AM [ in reply to I notice how they managed to keep the nooner mojo ]

in the country. The few football fans they have will drag their drunk-azzes out of bed and drink breakfast like the rest of us.

DadBLASTit!!!!!!!!

Jul 3, 2012, 8:32 PM

That makes it hard to keep calling Swofturd a complete moron.

I really LIKE calling him a complete moron, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

CLEMSON AND FLA STATE TO THE BIG 12

Jul 3, 2012, 8:57 PM

I guess all this means that CLEMSON and FSU are staying
put for sure?
Just asking..

1 PM start time New Years DAY.

Jul 3, 2012, 9:14 PM

PERFECT, here in the South that's when we are normally sitting down for Black Eyed Peas and Collards , watching whatever game is on TV.

Glad to see it moved back to the holiday and not after everyone's went back to work and the children back to school.

it needs to be an 8pm kickoff time

Jul 3, 2012, 11:42 PM

that is the best time for rating, viewers to see the game

1pm on NYD, half the nation will still be in bed following a long night of NYeve parting.

most all major bowl games have a night kickoff except the Rose bowl

Re: it needs to be an 8pm kickoff time

Jul 4, 2012, 10:00 AM

Could not disagree more. 1:00 PM is perfect. Having grown up watching great NYD games all day, I have been starving for good football on NYD during the BCS era. We will be the first quality game of what traditionally was a huge day in college football and not everyone feels the need to go out and get hammered on rookie's night. Even on the west coast what better to do at 10:00 AM than have a bloody and watch the OB.

I'm thinking the Champion Bowl gets that slot.

Jul 5, 2012, 10:23 AM [ in reply to it needs to be an 8pm kickoff time ]

Not that I'm unhappy about NYD though.

Re: it needs to be an 8pm kickoff time

Jul 5, 2012, 7:05 PM [ in reply to it needs to be an 8pm kickoff time ]

Last time I checked, there were THREE major (not BCS) New Year's Day bowl games played in mid-day. It is prime football programming time for that day.

I like it for thos exact same reasons!***

Jul 5, 2012, 9:58 AM [ in reply to 1 PM start time New Years DAY. ]

41 million

Jul 8, 2012, 9:02 PM

works out to about 3.4 million per member school. That means we only have to find 18.5 million a year more to be EVEN with SCAR's SEC income. Sigh.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic