Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney

May 25, 2012, 10:52 AM

Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney

May 25, 2012, 10:57 AM

eeeeeeeeek!

made myself a promise that i would not give iptay another nickel until he is gone

i made it 3...guess i can make it another 6

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

However this turns out we need prospective recruits to feel

May 25, 2012, 10:59 AM

secure with our Coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney ]

I just can't figure all the dislike for a coach that is building a strong respectable program at Clemson. He has brought in way above average Coordinators. He has the cupboards full of high profile recruits and winning. There are some that won't be satisfied with the best of everything. They will always say that coaches like Dabo hasn't done nothing. Oh well, Dabo is at Clemson for 6 years, and I'm glad he will be. Just remember though, most of the haters now hate on Dabo b/c he didn't fail like they said he would. There are those that will never admit when they were wrong about someone no matter how successful they become.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 12:06 PM

Well stated. I hated the Dabo hire when it was done, but I'm a big supporter now. He has done an excellent job thus far.

Two reasons: You already mentioned the first - they hate it

May 25, 2012, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney ]

that he didn't fail. The other reason is the record against SC. It's the only thing that kept Bowden here so long - and it's the only thing Dabo has done wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that and the and a losing season.

May 25, 2012, 2:14 PM

I will always worry about the length of a deal until consistency has been established.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kyle Parker shouldn't have rolled right so #### much***

May 25, 2012, 6:18 PM

Re: Two reasons: You already mentioned the first - they hate it

May 25, 2012, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Two reasons: You already mentioned the first - they hate it ]

Losing to USC and putting an inferior team on the field can be more attributed to the whole Clemson personna of the last decade. Fans thought we were great and admired ourselves as we handled USCjr, but were blind to the fact they were building a strong foundation of a team through recruiting and marketing. Dabo came on the scene and from day one has been trying to turn the momentum around and he is doing just that. Get on board people and stop being part of the problem!

I remember there were plenty that said Bear couldn't win the

May 25, 2012, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney ]

big games. You are correct, there will always be detractors. Go Tigers, I'm All In!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And he deserves every penny***

May 25, 2012, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has earned his pay so far.

May 25, 2012, 11:01 AM

If we win the conference and beat USuCk then I'll fully agree with you. If he does that and wins a big one in the BCS he deserves to be in the top 5% in coaching salary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BEAT THE COOTS...then sign new deal!!!***

May 25, 2012, 11:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AGREE!!! HUGE INCENTIVE FOR A HUGE GOAL!***

May 25, 2012, 11:44 AM

Re: And he deserves every penny***

May 25, 2012, 10:41 PM [ in reply to And he deserves every penny*** ]

A thumbs up for hooters.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

Good to hear Joe Schad came up with this nugget. Our locals are too busy with Big XII frenzy.

in was in the Anderson paper yesterday

May 25, 2012, 11:15 AM

In other news, he added that Clemson is close to a contract extension with head football coach Dabo Swinney. Swinney, who is expected to make approximately $1.9 million next fall, has three years left on his current deal.

“We’re having serious discussions,” Wilkins said. “We’re very close to coming to an agreement.”

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/may/24/clemson-committed-acc-would-entertain-proposals/?partner=RSS

Joe Schad looks sweaty. .

May 25, 2012, 11:05 AM

Maybe it's just the kung pao chicken, but I don't trust him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Hmmmmm

May 25, 2012, 11:06 AM

Must be counting on some new money comeing around ;)

Noooooooooo!

May 25, 2012, 11:16 AM

Why?!?

Are some of you really satisfied with Dabo? Have you forgotten the last 6 games of 2011? Georgia Tech and NCST weren't exactly top 25 material. Then the Tigers got beat by 20 by South Carolina...again. Do I need to talk about the OB?

It's true Dabo has done what Tommy couldn't. And, Tommy never got it handed to him by South Carolina either.

My point is, we need a coach who an win both- be a conference champion and beat South Carolina. I'm tired of this one or the other crap.

Every time I see something like this

May 25, 2012, 11:18 AM

I want to ask who you'd hire as a coach that you think meets all these requirements without having coached our team yet.

So I will. Who should we hire?

Clemson

If you think Dabo is qualified that opens the door to a list

May 25, 2012, 12:17 PM

a mile long of potential candidates, since in your expert opinion, simply being a mediocre position coach qualifies you to be HC at a BCS football centric program.

Why do people like you think anyone that criticizes a coach must somehow offer an alternative replacement, otherwise the criticism is not valid? That is beyond stupid. That has absolutely nothing to do with Dabo, or his performance. One has nothing to do with the other.

When I watch CNBC I don't expect them to include with every CEO criticism a suggestion for a better CEO. The two are unrelated.

For the record, pretty much every vocal critic of Dabo and Jack have offered alternatives, but it would be dumb and irrelevant to do so in every post.

Re: If you think Dabo is qualified that opens the door to a list

May 25, 2012, 12:50 PM

And yet, you didn't name a single one.

Face it, our fan base has changed, and not for the better.

May 25, 2012, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Noooooooooo! ]

We have a bunch off kool aid drinkers now. We have fans that accept mediocrity and anyone that dares question a coach is labeled a coot and attacked personally. Ironic, isn't it, people will viciously attack fellow Clemson fans in very nasty personal ways because that fan criticized not the coach, but his job performance. We're trying to debate facts with irrational deluded hypocrites.

Who

May 25, 2012, 12:12 PM

would you hire?

Clemson

That is irrelevant. Has nothing to do with Dabo or his lack

May 25, 2012, 12:22 PM

of qualifications and mediocre performance. For the record I have suggested several other alternatives in the past, but that has nothing to do with criticizing Dabo. You folks are like liberals. Point out a flaw of Obama and they ignore that and try and change the conversation. You Dabo lovers do the same thing, or simply hold up winning the ACC as some major accomplishment, which it is not given the ACC is at an all time low and behind even the Big East at this point.

?

May 25, 2012, 12:35 PM

"people will viciously attack fellow Clemson fans ... because that fan criticized not the coach, but his job performance"

So apparently his job performance is relevant. I'm not saying winning the ACC is the pinnacle of football achievements, but give some credit where it's due, we haven't done that in some time.

But we're in the ACC, so we can't exactly win another conf. champ. just this moment. Yes, bowl wins could be better, but Christ, all home game wins? Twice beating VT? What do you even want out of a coach? You accuse people of deflecting, yet you simply dismiss any accomplishment and focus on the negative. Would a victory over the coots be enough? Bowl win? Or will only an NC be enough for you?

Not every team can hire a coach who's been proven for years, so your arguement that he doesn't have experience is irrelevant. We'd have to hire someone who did well elsewhere, but then that teams lets him go? Sure, with all the great TV money we make and the coordinators we hired.

Clemson

pot - kettle - black

May 25, 2012, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Face it, our fan base has changed, and not for the better. ]

You are also a Kool Aid drinker, but you stick the the "Fire Dabo" flavor. My preference was for Gary Patterson, but that didn't happen. Dabo has done better than I thought he would - can't say that I've made up my mind 100% yet, but I like his coordinator hires, recruiting, and optimism. Now let's cut down on the number of stupid losses, learn how to beat the Chickens again, and get better at bowl game preparation. If we really go to the Big XII, all of this will get sorted out soon enough. Meanwhile we have to play the "renew the contract game" as the price of doing business...

Re: Face it, our fan base has changed, and not for the better.

May 25, 2012, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Face it, our fan base has changed, and not for the better. ]

Im still waiting on your pic chicken boy.

null

Re: Noooooooooo!

May 25, 2012, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Noooooooooo! ]

Dabo has made the proper changes of the reasons we have been beat by those amount of points. All of Tiger Nation new the reasons for the losses we had last year. Steele just wasn't stopping nobody. Dabo has done what a HC is suppose to do. He made a major change on the defensive side of the ball. I believe the first year under BV will amount to more wins. Dabo has done things the right way. And for a few, that just isn't good enough.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has only been HC 3 years but has already been forced to

May 25, 2012, 12:30 PM

make major staff changes after the past 2 seasons. I'm 46, been involved in and watching sports since I was a kid, and have never seen a new HC in any sport make so many coaching changes in only 3 years. You rarely see a coordinator get fired after only 3 years, much less both coordinators and many position coaches. Clearly he had no clue what he was doing when hired, which I warned would be an issue here on TNET when TB left. To think he suddenly learned to be great coach is silly.

You talk too much. Or is it type to much

May 25, 2012, 1:15 PM

Either way.

He pulled one of the best DCs in the Big 12 here

May 25, 2012, 8:22 PM [ in reply to He has only been HC 3 years but has already been forced to ]

and found an offensive genius where no one else and in fairness Steele was a respected DC as well just things didn't work out. To say that he can't hire good coaches is just absurd, he knew what went wrong in 2010 and fixed it and hopefully we can say the same thing about this season.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: He has only been HC 3 years but has already been forced to

May 26, 2012, 5:36 AM [ in reply to He has only been HC 3 years but has already been forced to ]

so making needed changes is wrong? dabo has been to the acccg in 2 out of the last 3 yrs,and even meatloaf says that ain't bad.he is constantly improving as a hc, and we are starting to see the team look like a championship team. ,and you are either to dumb, or just won't admit, that usuc is playing better than they ever have, and have beaten teams they never have before, dabo is not the only coach to lose to them.have you ever heard of a coach named nick saban? he lost to them,too. that being said, we will stop the streak this year in the valley,so you need to start thinking up some other reasons not to like dabo.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

in before Blue Cootie tells us how stupid this is.

null

It is stupid. Another TB fiasco in the waiting.***

May 25, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: It is stupid. Another TB fiasco in the waiting.***

May 25, 2012, 1:01 PM

Still waiting on your pic chicken boy.

null

Just beat the coots and I'll be fine. That is all.***

May 25, 2012, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Follow up headline:

May 25, 2012, 11:40 AM

"Tigernet server destroyed in horrific meltdown" LOL

are they going to pay him Big 12 money?***

May 25, 2012, 11:44 AM

Re: are they going to pay him Big 12 money?***

May 25, 2012, 12:56 PM

should not get pee wee money...morris coached the team last year

unless you out a value on dancing in the locker room, kissing babies, catchy slogans and staged interview questions

...and yes i know he hired morris...odd pick...the candidate with the most head coaching experience

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 1:14 PM

I like Tommy Tuberville but he might not be safe at Texas Tech if he loses. Maybe Chad Morris will be a name in that list if that happens.

May 25, 2012, 10:52 PM [ in reply to are they going to pay him Big 12 money?*** ]

Is that similar to SEC speed?
:)

Message was edited by: CUalum79ALLn65®

May 25, 2012, 1:09 PM

I love this move. I didn't like this hire when it was first made as I thought they should have cleaned house but I am coming around. I think Dabo will keep improving this program. If he can start beating the coots and consistently I hope he never leaves.

Dabo haters ain't gonna like this***

May 25, 2012, 1:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2012, 1:28 PM

Some of you people are crazy.

In three seasons under Dabo, we have won our division twice, the ACC champ once, and been to the first BCS bowl ever. Ughhh.... that sounds like progress to me. He even won the national coach of the year award last year.

Yea, he's had to replace the coordinators, but he made significant upgrades in those hires.

We lost the games we lost last year b/c the defense was swiss cheese, not b/c the offense or special teams were horrible. That's on Steele, who was promptly fired and replaced with BV. Dabo made an awesome hire in Chad Morris, I expect similar results from Venebles. What would this team had done last year if we'd had a GOOD defense? Think about that.

We had two Heisman cantidates last year, and probably will again this year. Dabo is recruiting at a level never seen at Clemson before (without cheating). He's a high energy coach who is a motivator, a recruiter and heck of a good face for the program.

Yes, we have lost three in a row to the coots. That really co-insides with Steele arriving on the scene, not Dabo arriving on the scene. When Dabo was first hired, we kicked the dog #### out of USCe in Death Valley. Steele was NOT the DC at the time, remember?

Just sayin folks. Some of you need to have your heads examined.

-ZA

Which begs the question:

May 25, 2012, 2:31 PM

Why did he fire Koenig? Why fire the DC who beat SCAR only to hire DC who loses 3 in a row?

Re: Which begs the question:

May 25, 2012, 5:02 PM

Because Vic wanted to be head coach and would never have jived with Dabo...

May 25, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson close to signing new deal with Swinney ]

PREACH IT!!!

ALL IN....

May 25, 2012, 5:11 PM

ALL THE FRIGGIN' TIME!
I don't care if Steve Spurrier is our coach. I'm Clemson first, last, and always!

May 25, 2012, 5:21 PM

GOOD!

Excellent move by Clemson.***

May 25, 2012, 6:07 PM

Everybody who doesn't like this...

May 25, 2012, 8:14 PM

Should seriously take a long look at what we've had with Dabo. Top-notch recruiting classes. Multiple ACC Championship appearances. A BCS BOWL. Dabo has put Clemson back on the map. Its time to look back on where we were the last 20 years and where we were now. It takes time, and Dabo has something good brewing here.

Be patient you "fans" . Try being positive and optimistic for once

Who would want to coach for a school that won't allow

May 25, 2012, 10:58 PM

four or five years to get the assistant and player he wants and mature the players?

Some of these guys wish for Clemson to lose to get rid of Dabo. Man, that kinda chit right there just ain't right.

Re: Who would want to coach for a school that won't allow

May 25, 2012, 11:01 PM

I AGREE! Well said!

What's the buyout penalty if things don't work out w/ Dabo?*

May 25, 2012, 8:37 PM

Re: What's the buyout penalty if things don't work out w/ Dabo?*

May 25, 2012, 11:04 PM

Assign him all the Negative Nellies on TNET, and send them out into the wilderness somewhere between Big12 and Pac12.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic