Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2

May 22, 2012, 4:43 PM

Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2

In the second part of our sit-down with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips, he discusses the progress of the facilities upgrades and the contracts of head coach Dabo Swinney and his assistant coaches. He also talks about what he is looking for from the basketball program. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2

May 22, 2012, 5:18 PM

TDV will be exhausted from two TigerNet interviews and one with Packman. We may not see him until after we move to the Big XII.

A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout

May 22, 2012, 5:23 PM

Not sure if Clemson has an escape clause, but I haven't heard of anybody beating down the door to hire Dabo away from Clemson, so why not just wait and see how it goes instead of, once again, foolishly rushing into an unecessary financial commitment like that of the Bowden boondogle?

Re: A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout

May 22, 2012, 5:28 PM

Hard to recruit with contracts under four years

OK. 1 year with a gaping escape clauses.***

May 22, 2012, 5:42 PM

Re: OK. 1 year with a gaping escape clauses.***

May 23, 2012, 10:59 AM

Some of you just can't stand the fact that Dabo is doing a good job. He's doing something that no one has done since Pell and Ford.

Building a program

We should extend it 1 yr but no other changes. Otherwise I

May 22, 2012, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout ]

agree with Razz.

Wow...

May 22, 2012, 6:11 PM [ in reply to A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout ]

First ACC championship in twenty years. First trip to the Orange Bowl in thirty years. Two Atlantic Division titles in three years. Top ten recruiting classes. Two excellent coordinator hires. And you want an escape clause?

How'd that Orange Bowl work out***

May 22, 2012, 6:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It worked out that we were there...

May 22, 2012, 6:16 PM

...which we hadn't been for 30 years. It also worked out as a huge learning experience for the team and the staff. Remember getting our a$$es kicked by Pitt in the 1977 Gator Bowl? Think that team learned anything from that and maybe that helped them beat Ohio State the next year?

LOL! I love how delusional some of you folks are.***

May 22, 2012, 11:52 PM

Not delusional...

May 23, 2012, 2:51 PM

Just experienced. Don't worry, son, you'll get there one day, too... ;)

Way better than the prior 20 years.***

May 23, 2012, 12:15 AM [ in reply to How'd that Orange Bowl work out*** ]

Must jump in to say IMO Whitehurst Team that beat TN

May 23, 2012, 1:35 AM

in Peach Bowl better than this year's squad that lost in Orange Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Must jump in to say IMO Whitehurst Team that beat TN

May 23, 2012, 11:00 AM

Did they win the acc?

That '03 season, ACC was Sagarain SOS #1. 2011: #7 !!!

May 23, 2012, 1:37 PM

The ACC was a much tougher conference to win in 2003 than in 2011 (or in 2010 & 2009 when the ACC was ranked #4).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc03.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm

Who cares about what rank the 2003 season was?

May 23, 2012, 9:37 PM

Miami is a HUGE upgrade over Atlanta.

Just providing data to support Socman's claim re: 2003 team.***

May 23, 2012, 9:54 PM

Re: Must jump in to say IMO Whitehurst Team that beat TN

May 23, 2012, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Must jump in to say IMO Whitehurst Team that beat TN ]

And Tennessee was ranked really high that year. Definitely a good team that year.

Dabo's recruiting classes' avg rank is almost identical to

May 22, 2012, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

TB's, plus a losing season only 1 year ago, 3 straight #### whoopins to USC, blown out by NC State, and totally obliterated by WV. We won the ACC because of some luck getting VT over GT in the ACCCG and the fact that the ACC is at an all time low. We are only marginally better under Dabo than TB. IF Dabo was as great as some of you think he'd have other schools after him. If we fired Dabo tomorrow he'd never be a HC at a serious football school again. Same as TB.

Everyone needs a little luck to play who they play...

May 23, 2012, 10:54 AM

The Milestones don'e lie, two ACC Atlantic Titles, 1 ACC Title under Dabo is much better than anything Bowden has to show...

Obviously we're all upset about the OB and losing to SC for 3 years in a row, but that will change in time. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Re: Dabo's recruiting classes' avg rank is almost identical to

May 23, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Dabo's recruiting classes' avg rank is almost identical to ]

Great post. His embarrassing pre-Orange Bowl comments revealed that he was clueless as to the gaping weaknesses in Clemson's defense going up against a high-powered offense like West Virgina. Even in a weak football conference like the ACC, he is no more than a middle tier coach. And TDP is worried about someone trying to hire him away? Who???

You missed my point. Why waste $ if nobody wants to hire him***

May 23, 2012, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Wow... ]

Re: You missed my point. Why waste $ if nobody wants to hire him***

May 23, 2012, 1:05 AM

Since all of Dabo's letters of interest, and offers are processed by him, he knows...
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow...Wowee

May 23, 2012, 1:58 AM [ in reply to Wow... ]

First ACC championship in twenty years.
Thanks to injuries to FSU's QB, EJ Manuel and several other key players. Basically Dabo had one more win than Bowden.

First trip to the Orange Bowl in thirty years.
Record setting butt-whupping.

Two Atlantic Division titles in three years.
Two losses to GT in 2009. Losing season in 2010. Same fringe Top 25 team as always except we also caught three butt whuppings by SCar.

Top ten recruiting classes.
Gotta give him that... But then realize that despite Top Ten clasees, the team finished in the bottom of the Top 25 or out of the Top 25, and all too often got beat by multiple teams with far inferior player talent an unranked recruiting classes (like GT, NCSU, WVU, USF, et al).

Two excellent coordinator hires.
Fired Koenning and hired Napier & Steele. (3 bad decisions.) Hired Morris. (1 good decision.) Venables is TBD. 3-bad coordinator hires to 1 good hire indicates poor head coaching.

And you want an escape clause?
Absolutely. We're still the same sort of fringe Top 25 team that we were for a decade under Bowden, except that now SCar whups us. One more SCar thumping and TDP may need an escape clause. It's not like Dabo has any leverage. It's not like Big League schools are beating down the door to hire him (unlike Morris).

May 23, 2012, 8:44 AM

You're an idiot. Why don't you just do yourself and all of us a favor and pick another team to root for. Pure hatred, I bet you have a great life, lol.

May 23, 2012, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow...Wowee ]

Koenning fired hisself because he whine like a 2 yrs old after he didn't get the job.

Where's vic now??? a d@mn tarhole.

May 23, 2012, 12:35 PM

Ha. You are so immature. And jealous I guess.

May 23, 2012, 12:56 PM

Jealous of what? That he's going to UNC????

Let come to the valley and take a a$$ whooping back home with him

May 23, 2012, 3:49 PM

Vic is a great coordinator. Alot of people know that. In time he will do well at UNC. I am sure Venables is pretty good too. But you keep on being tacky with your comments. Only makes you look bad. Not me.

May 24, 2012, 10:47 AM

What did he do at illinois that was so great?

I think we got a better DC right now.

What tacky comment did i make? You are the one being tacky

May 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

He finished 7th in the nation in total defense. Also finished high at Clemson. Dabo didn't like him. That's why he isn't here. But he is happy now. It all worked out. I already said I think Venables is good. I thought what you said was tacky. My perrogative. See ya.

No. Dabo fired Koenning. Links to newspaper reports here...

May 23, 2012, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow...Wowee ]

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20081202/PC16/312029995

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20081203/SPORTS0101/312030003/Tigers-defensive-coordinator-Vic-Koenning-resigns

Re: No. Dabo fired Koenning. Links to newspaper reports here...

May 23, 2012, 1:29 PM

Can you read?

Don't you understand "dismissed" & "would not be retained"?***

May 23, 2012, 1:40 PM

Re: No. Dabo fired Koenning. Links to newspaper reports here...

May 24, 2012, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: No. Dabo fired Koenning. Links to newspaper reports here... ]

I said he fired hisself with the whinning about Dabo getting the job

Hey, believe what you want...

May 23, 2012, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow...Wowee ]

I'm just serving up facts, not opinions or Kool Aid. You can go "yeah, but..." all day long, it's still just your opinion, which you are welcome to. If Dabo doesn't deliver, he'll be gone, particularly if we're in a football-centric Big XII. Meanwhile, we have to keep playing the "renew the contract" game for recruiting purposes. It's called the price of doing business.

Well said! Like him or not, he's getting the job done.

May 23, 2012, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Wow... ]

Great move, bc he'll keep us winning. Hopefully next time around we'll be in the big game or at least curb stomp someone in the OB.

May 22, 2012, 8:58 PM [ in reply to A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout ]

Razz you really are a booger eatin moron The board gave TB the buy out they forced TDP to extend the contract thats why TDP didn't get fired that was not TDP's choice he wanted to let him go at the end of that year and to let the Arky deal ride and see then we would not have had a buy out to TB if he went to Arky TDP told the board Arky didn't want TB think for once. Now the board is out of the AD's office we are making progress

Wrong. That tool Barker demanded TDP do whatever it

May 22, 2012, 11:53 PM

took to keep TB happy.

Got any proof of any of those claims or is it T-net lore?***

May 23, 2012, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Re: A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout ]

May 22, 2012, 10:07 PM [ in reply to A 6-yr deal for Dabo from the guy who gave Bowden $4M buyout ]

Bowden took a sorry program and brought in good coaches and players. His time ran out. Clemson is in the acc. We dominated floriDa state and sc for years. Nick saben ain't coming. Get over it. We are as good as Clemson can be because of Bowden. And DAbo.

Wow! Seriously? We're as good as we're ever gonna get?

May 23, 2012, 12:04 AM

We couldn't get a better coach than TB or Dabo?

What drugs do you people take?

Tommy West, TB, and Dabo had a combined 3 years HC exp when we hired them. Successful coaches would kill to be at Clemson. It's a top 15 job. We were held back for years by Barker and an admin that didn't make athletic success a priority. And we haven't made an attempt to hire a successful HC since Hatfield.

Coaching is holding Clemson back. We have had consensus top 15 recruiting classes 6 of the last 7 years. Yet GT & VT and other schools that haven't even had 1 top 20 recruiting class the last 10 years consistently beat us. Under TB & Dabo we have 1 top 20 finish. We are a huge under achiever, which is because of inadequate coaching.

God, when did our fans because such excuse making weenies!!

You were probably clamoring for Rich Rod. LOL!***

May 23, 2012, 12:24 AM

chickentroll***

May 23, 2012, 1:06 AM [ in reply to Wow! Seriously? We're as good as we're ever gonna get? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you do not think this new staff can get it done?***

May 23, 2012, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Wow! Seriously? We're as good as we're ever gonna get? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2

May 22, 2012, 6:15 PM

"He’s got three years remaining on his existing contract. We want to put three more years on it and make it a six-year contract"

Thank you Jesus.

May 23, 2012, 9:40 AM

You know I really don't think you guys are ever going to be happy! If we won the NC you would probably gripe that we only won it because it was a down year for the rest of the country. Jesus! What do you want? We got some monkeys off our back this past season. First time beating Auburn in, what, 15 tries? First ACC Championship in forever. First BCS bowl game. First time Clemson was relevant and had EVERYONE talking about us for the right reasons...which continues to this day. I have to ask again...What the F*&%# do you want? There can only be one NC every year. Lets consistently win the ACC then start worrying about the rest of it. Why is that everyone is so negative...and then calls it being realistic??? Yes we had some bad losses. That is the nature of football and a young team. If we are ever going to break the cycle of late year collapses we need someone like Dabo who inspires the right attitude that "just because it happened here before doesn't mean it needs to continue".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's human nature my friend. If you just bought a new iPad

May 23, 2012, 9:47 AM

you are going to be pissed when the new one comes out in a few months. Everyone always wants new, and the bigger better thing out there.

I guess I just have higher expectations than you.

May 23, 2012, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2 ]

First time beating Auburn in, what, 15 tries?
Auburn finished 8-5, unranked, and took brutal butt whuppings from Arkansas, LSU, UGA, & Bama.

First ACC Championship in forever.
Sagarin ranked the ACC #7, the lowest rank in at least in a decade. And we barely won a historically-weak ACC, in large part due to FSU's QB and several key starters being out with injuries.

First BCS bowl game.
Record-setting, embarrassing, butt-whupping by lowly WVU. Great coaching, Dabo.

First time Clemson was relevant and had EVERYONE talking about us for the right reasons...which continues to this day.
Really? The national pundits repeatedly mocked Clemson for "pulling a Clemson" in losses to GT, NCSU, & WVU. To this day, I still hear the national media pundits (and everyone else) literally laughing at the 70-33 butt whupping.

I have to ask again...What the F*&%# do you want?
I want Clemson to be good and relevant. I'm not expecting annual NCs, but I'd like to see Clemson not lose so many games to teams with inferior talent (like GT, NCSU, WVU, USF, et al). I'd like to see Clemson be a regular Top 15 team that can actually win at least half of its games against good non-con teams. Bowden was 1-8 against non-con teams that finished in the AP Top 25. Dabo is 0-5. That's the kind of team we are in the national landscape. But we won the ACC. Yay!

Re: I guess I just have higher expectations than you.

May 23, 2012, 2:50 PM

I want to be a millionaire!

Since I'm not a trustfund baby and I don't play the lottery, guess what? I'm going to have to put in the time and hard work it takes to get to my goal!

Dabo is doing a good job and working hard to get Clemson to it's goal of winning ball games and becoming a more consistent relevant football program. It's not like he inherited the keys to a Cadillac!

We haven't even played the first game of the 2012 season and you are already acting like we had a losing season!

Dabo inherited better cupboard than GT, USF, NCSU, WVU et al***

May 23, 2012, 5:20 PM

Re: Dabo inherited better cupboard than GT, USF, NCSU, WVU et al***

May 23, 2012, 6:49 PM

and he's still loving that 12 man recruiting class he inherited after so many commitments scattered to the wind when Bowden resigned

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's on-field talent equivalent or superior. Data follows

May 23, 2012, 10:07 PM

2011 pre-game 2-deep comparisons for Clemson

WVU:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/13/2866151/2012-clemson-vs-wvu-orange-bowl-depth-chart-analysis

SCar:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/11/22/2579508/2011-clemson-vs-scar-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

NCSU:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/11/15/2562598/2011-clemson-vs-north-carolina-state-depth-chart-recruited-talent

Wake:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/11/8/2545625/2011-clemson-vs-wake-forest-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

GT:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/10/25/2512069/2011-clemson-vs-georgia-tech-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

UNC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/10/19/2500021/2011-clemson-vs-north-carolina-depth-chart-comparison

UMD:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/10/11/2482340/2011-clemson-vs-maryland-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

BC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/10/4/2467174/2011-clemson-vs-boston-college-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

VT:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/9/28/2451699/2011-clemson-vs-virginia-tech-depth-chart-recruited-talent-analysis

FSU:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/9/21/2438964/clemson-vs-florida-state-depth-chart-talent-analysis

Auburn:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/9/14/2424178/2011-clemson-vs-auburn-depth-chart-comparison

Troy:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/8/31/2395017/clemson-vs-troy-depth-chart-comparison

2010 pre-game 2-deep comparisons for Clemson

South Carolina:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/14/2214467/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-south-carolina-2010

GT:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/31/2197286/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-georgia-tech-2010

BC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/24/2182690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-boston-college-2010

FSU:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/17/2170690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-florida-state-2010

Auburn:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/10/2135832/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-auburn-2010

USF:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

May 23, 2012, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips Part 2 ]

Awesome response TrickyRick86! I couldn't have said it better myself.

The Taj Mahal was not built over night. It takes time to build great football programs and I for one think Dabo has us going in the right direction. So what if other programs aren't trying to hire him away "right now." I guarantee if he has another season like last year minus the late season crash and embarrassing OB loss and we have a nice solid season then there will be some major programs looking to hire him away. Do y'all not remember his name being thrown in the Texas A&M hat last year? With all of the changes college football sees year in and year out, I'm proud that we have a HC who is motivated and loyal to his team and university and not wanting to jump ship just because the money is greener in a different pasture.

I think Dabo is an inspiring coach who can motivate his players and leave more of the x's and o's of football to be taught by his OC and DC. I think the Venables hire will prove to be as good as the Morris hire was and we will see more of a downhill, get after the ball and ball carrier type defense, which will be awesome for us!

To sum it up, Dabo is doing a great job of building a program here and trying his hardest to get rid of the underachiever reputation that was built in the TB era. You know the "Clemson pulling a Clemson." It just takes time to do so!

I was at the Wake Forest game last year when I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing, we were "pulling a Clemson again" only we DIDN'T!!! We showed heart and everything it took to pull out the W and get back into the ACC Championship game. Past Clemson teams would have laid down in the 4th quarter!

He "pulled a Clemson" vs GT, NCSU, & WVU. He's 0-5 vs Top 25

May 23, 2012, 5:30 PM

Dabo is 0-5 against non-con teams that finished in the Top 25.

I doubt that Dabo was seriously considered by Texas A&M or any other big-time football school.

Clemson didn't lay down in the 4th quarter? I guess you didn't watch the NCSU, SCar, or WVU beatings.

How do we not even have a copy

May 23, 2012, 11:07 AM

of the TV contract? Member institutions don't even get to know what's in the contract? That's ridiculous. Heads need to roll in the ACC front office whether we leave or not.

May 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

There is no way Dabo should have a 6 year contract. Purely from a business point of view, it is extremely unlikely there is anyone else beating down his door to make him an offer. 4 years should be sufficient.

May 23, 2012, 5:35 PM

ITT Blue Caddie makes an ### of himself yet again and brings his buddy Razz.

Blue Caddie proves daily he knows jack shot about sports.

null

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic