Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips

May 21, 2012, 4:43 PM

Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips

Clemson's Athletic Director weighs in on possible expansion, Clemson's place in the ACC, the college football playoff and the ACC's recent television deals. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds to me like everything is on the table...

May 21, 2012, 4:49 PM

and he's not ruling anything out. Pretty much answered the questions regarding the Big XII the best he could without actually saying what's really going on.

Re: Sounds to me like everything is on the table...

May 21, 2012, 6:31 PM

I think that reading the tea leaves on this is simple enough. There are basically two interviews that TDP could have given: wholehearted endorsement or non-committal. This one was non-committal. You've got the non-denial denial, and a bunch of obvious and undisputed facts thrown in for good measure. "Everyone knows what is going on." "The ACC knows that football is important." Yeah, thanks.

He could have come out and said, "Clemson is firmly behind the ACC and has no intention of discussing moving to another conference." He didn't. If this is all a confidence game where the thought of someone leaving compels others to consider leaving as well and he wants to stay in the ACC, he would make a firm statement of allegiance to assure other ACC members that we aren't leaving.

If I'm another ACC school I know what these kinds of statements mean. We're trying to leave but we have to keep quiet until everything's worked out.

Hood asked the wrong d@mn question...

May 21, 2012, 4:50 PM

Someone needs to ask if there have been any talks between Clemson and the BigXII OR ANY INTERMEDIARIES OF THE TWO

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

Exactly***

May 21, 2012, 4:54 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hood asked the wrong d@mn question...

May 21, 2012, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

he did.. read it again. The answer was no talks between Clemson and the BIG10. Then, he said everything is on the table and we will do what is best for the university.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

May 21, 2012, 5:08 PM

The question was asked in a way to allow TDP to very accurately say that Clemson and Big XII have not talked. Otherwise, there are risks of collusion.

The better question would have been to ask about intermediaries. However, I've got to believe that Hood knows this, and he was probably warned beforehand about going down that path. As much as we all want to know the endgame, there simply is no way that's going to happen before this thing is signed, sealed, and delivered with no potential legal repercussions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 5:18 PM

I actually knew enough to ask the question a few different ways going on, and I did ask if there were any intermediaries or anyone affiliated with the school talking to the Big 12. It was a terse..."No." which we knew would be the answer, whether they are talking or not.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David, did you ask a follow up question or get any further

May 21, 2012, 5:28 PM

insight to his statements regarding the "look-in" windows in the new contract? It seems to me that if the ACC waits around for the first look in window five years down the road its going to be woefully too late for Clemson. They will already be WAY behind in revenue by then.

Re: David, did you ask a follow up question or get any further

May 21, 2012, 7:20 PM

I wanted to get into those, but we were so limited in time. I have been assured we can get more into all of that the next time we talk.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I kinda figured that since it wasn't in the Q&A.

May 21, 2012, 8:19 PM

I can see the benefits of the "widows" but by the time 5 years has passed it would be too late. Five years is an eternity the way things have been ramping up. Thanks for all your good work. You seem to really have your pulse on what we want.

Thanks for clarifying.

May 21, 2012, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

It would have been painful and nonproductive to see the question about the Big XII asked 43 different ways when we all know that the response is ultimately going to be "no comment" at this point.

Nice job overall on the interview to both you and TDP - everyone will read into it what they want anyway! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good! Thanks for the clarification, David!***

May 21, 2012, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

Clearly someone isn't accurate here.***

May 21, 2012, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

Thank You!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

TDP wouldn't have answered that anyway, much less tipped his hand, so why bother asking?

Didn't matter what he asked, TDP wasn't gonna give a straigh

May 21, 2012, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

answer. Until it is all signed and done deal.....there are no real answers to give.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

May 21, 2012, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

Why, I think that you already know the answer to that. I mean we all know there has been talks. Not by TP directly, but I'm convinced that it has indirectly. TDP has no intentions of getting caught with his pants down.

You would have received the same answer***

May 22, 2012, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Hood asked the wrong d@mn question... ]

First I've read that we're keeping the Georgia game.

May 21, 2012, 4:55 PM

That's great news. I assumed it was gone with the nine game conference schedule format.

null

Where have you been?***

May 21, 2012, 5:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? It was common knowledge.?

May 21, 2012, 5:08 PM

Wow, I really did miss that one. I honestly assumed it was gone. Good for TDP for doing what the fans wanted instead of going for maximizing money (uh ohhhhhh...).

null

It was not well-publicized.

Dec 28, 2022, 4:14 AM

I believe the news was released late Friday/early Saturday a few weeks ago. I remember talking about it with some people at the baseball game that day and not many had heard.

Plus, they raised the cancellation fee from $500,000 to $3,000,000 (announced about 2 weeks ago), so that definitely means the game is happening.

Sweet. Thanks, NAtlanta. ******

May 21, 2012, 5:19 PM

null

Actually it DOES maximize $ because of bigger payouts

May 21, 2012, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Really? It was common knowledge.? ]

from the gates of BOTH schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohhhhhh.... So football is the big money-maker?

May 21, 2012, 5:19 PM

You've got to be kidding me. Like it was news to them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohhhhhh.... So football is the big money-maker?

May 21, 2012, 6:09 PM

I think it was more of an epiphany to the tobacco road schools. They have been living off of our football money for so long and still ruling the roost....they just happened to miss that tidbit.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Ohhhhhh.... So football is the big money-maker?

May 28, 2022, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Ohhhhhh.... So football is the big money-maker? ]

Swofford is the only one that doesn't realize that. UNheat told him that BB was where the money was.

Re: Really? It was common knowledge.?

Dec 28, 2022, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Really? It was common knowledge.? ]

Instead of maximizing money??? Dude, the UGA game is big money home or away!

Re: Sounds like we're screwed!!***

The problem is, its too late for the ACC

There is no school, or combination of schools the ACC can add to suddenly become relevant in football. No one in the Big East is worth adding for football, Notre Dame - how can a mediocre Notre Dame program that hasnt done anything in decades single handidly save the conference? Lousville? Brings nothing in football. UCF, South Florida, some other directional school? TDP can be as PC as he wants - the ACC blew it, its a sinking ship and Im pretty sure Clemson is already far, far away in a life raft.

I agree, especially after this weekend with the BIG XII and

May 21, 2012, 6:30 PM

SEC deal. I saw this in the article from TDP - "We cannot afford to lose our seat at the table when it comes to the BCS and championships going forward. We simply cannot afford to allow that to happen." I saw that and thought, it's already too late, the ACC blew it.

null

"Football here has been the heartbeat." Truer words have

May 21, 2012, 4:57 PM

never been spoken.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on his statements, it sure sounds like Clemson

May 21, 2012, 4:58 PM

(and others) were not on board with the Pitt and Syracuse additions. It's not like schools have just realized in the last few months that football is driving everything. That's been apparent to anyone with five brain cells for several years now.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

either TV markets = more $

May 21, 2012, 5:25 PM

and Swoffy did a good job picking Cuse and Pitt and a bad job negotiating our tv contract (Im still convinced the Raycom affiliation is screwing us, if nothing else just in perception. Ive streamed games online with a better feed than Raycom HD. Lietrally.)

OR, its all about wins, fan base, and performance on the football field in the BCS era, and swoffy and the basketball fans screwed the deal up by adding pitt and cuse.

My guess is no one really knows what is more important. I know the BCS MNC game ratings were very low this year. And I know the SEC, who is supposedly the model for justifying their contract with BCS success, added Missouri and A&M, both 100% tv market plays.

The more "professional" and money driven college football becomes, the more I have a hard time believing the ACC cant get a partnership similar to the SEC partnership with CBS.

The ACC now has a presence in Boston, NY, Baltimore/DC, Easten and Western VA, Raleigh/Durham/CH, Winston-Salem, Greenville, Atlanta, north Florida, and Miami.

We havent backed it up with wins. And we do have some serious duds (ie Duke, WF, BC). But ultimately the ACC should be able to out-negotiate anyone based on TV markets alone. This was by far the most telling comment by TDP, and the stuff about the Pac-10 backing into a larger deal bc of NBC.

I'm totally confused by that post!***

May 21, 2012, 6:03 PM

LOL, what I am trying to say

May 21, 2012, 6:22 PM

Is swofford screwed up the negotiations, IMO. And apparently in TDP's opinion.

TDP said 80% is football and 20% is basketball.

Well what I would like to know is what percent is geographic footprint (location of schools to metropolitan areas) and W/L in BCS games.

Look at who the SEC just added- they werent going after recent wins, they were going after TV markets. And big fan base still loyal because of history of the program.

I want the ACC to win, I want Clemson to win, but I think Swoffy left some $ on the table. And if we had as much $ then we wouldnt be talking about leaving.

not so sure about the advantage of the TV markets...

May 21, 2012, 7:43 PM [ in reply to either TV markets = more $ ]

Competition with pro sports is much greater in the North. I don't know much about how to price TC markets but I do know that in the South college football is king...not so in Baltimore and Boston.

Re: not so sure about the advantage of the TV markets...

May 22, 2012, 3:22 PM

I work in Baltimore and it's all Ravens. Not very much media coverage of Maryland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Quick Synposis: "Hell yes, we're thinking about leaving"**

May 21, 2012, 4:59 PM

Excellent interview. Good they are committed to the UGAgame***

May 21, 2012, 5:03 PM

Best Is The Standard

Hopefully in part 2 - David will ask @ the 9 game

May 21, 2012, 5:21 PM

conference schedule - which is a killer for the FOOTBALL schools.

Ever play Clue?

May 21, 2012, 5:26 PM

"Does that mean you think the ACC will expand even furtheror needs to expand in order to keep that seat at the table?"

"... I'm at a juncture where you don't rule anything out anymore. You simply can't rule it out. The irony of it is that as I look backwards, I can still remember when I was at Arkansas when we went to the SEC and the consternation of us leaving the old Southwest Conference at the time. Then I had to go to the big 12 when they expanded. I guess that shouldn've been a signal that this is the times that we live in. I do believe that it's going to continue."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TDP Said No talks with the Big12.. Didn't say the SEC though

May 21, 2012, 5:43 PM

Everyone is looking one way and the SEC is just sitting back

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Even if we are in talks with the Big 12, he wont say

May 21, 2012, 6:38 PM

anything until everything is said and done

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sounds to me like he is saying that the ACC better get off

May 21, 2012, 5:50 PM

of their fricking BB pedestal! That would entail spitcanning Ron Cherry, or at the very least, making him call for FSU, VT & CU to keep them up in the poles. But come to think of it Swoffool already has his pole in Cherry!?

Re: Sounds to me like he is saying that the ACC better get off

May 21, 2012, 7:09 PM

What he's saying is the saying ACC better be an equal partner in the playoff format.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds to me like he is saying that the ACC better get off

May 21, 2012, 7:19 PM

hey man, you any kin to that west virginny dude.

Ugh.

May 21, 2012, 5:58 PM

Someone summarize that-lol

These articles with TDP are so good for the average Clemson

May 21, 2012, 5:59 PM

fan. Thank you so much T-Net for providing us with extremely useful information.

Kudos to TDP for having the courtesy to communicate with the voice of most Clemson fans.

Another fantastic job David!

May 10, 2017, 11:36 AM

Thanks for being the voice of us fans!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Q&A with Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips

May 21, 2012, 6:37 PM

Also should have asked; If USC kicks are ### again do we keep dabo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 7:10 PM

I can answer that question. If we win 9-10 games Dabo not going anywhere. Like it or not. With the staff Dabo has put together he's not going anywhere any time soon.

May 21, 2012, 7:07 PM

Great article... It is exactly what I hoped for. The move to the Big 12 is not a done deal and the ACC TV deal is not nearly as bad as some were making it.

That said...

The key will be the playoff format. If the ACC is not an equal partner, then Cya ACC. If Swofford comes out and the ACC is right in the mix of the playoff format and proving that football is a major player in the conference then Clemson stays. Swofford knows the conference hangs in the balence on those meetings.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you people expect him to say.............

May 21, 2012, 7:54 PM

"Yes we are talking and yes we will be out next month"? Do you know how many lawsuits would occur if he were to tip Clemson's hand.

Also if Clemson is going to leave you can expect us to leave

May 21, 2012, 7:58 PM

with Class. I have heard that we need to speak up like FSU has but you know that our guys will do it the right way, quietly and behind the scenes until the package is ready to open.

Re: Fact is, the Titanic has already hit the iceberg

May 21, 2012, 7:58 PM

No saving the ACC. If we try, we will go down with.

In 30+ years, I have never listed UNC or Duke on my resume!!

Re: Fact is, the Titanic has already hit the iceberg

May 21, 2012, 8:00 PM

I agree I really feel the difference in the money the coots are getting and the ACC money is driving this thing and the higher ups know we have to stay close or lose out. The only way the ACC gets close is if they get Notre Dame

Bottom Line, NOTRE DAME and UConn to the ACC or ....

May 21, 2012, 8:53 PM

else ....

great interview-credit to both of you for asking/answering

May 21, 2012, 9:18 PM

in a way that shows Clemson is behind football 200%

I Was Encouraged By

May 21, 2012, 11:54 PM

TDP's answers and comments. It is clear that he understands there are seismic shifts in the conference landscapes. His comment about "moving target" tells me that anything can be on the table as far as Clemson is concerned. He can't come out right now and inform Tigernet of what might be going on behind the scenes. But I am encouraged.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 1:04 AM

Would like to know what TDP thinks about the nine game conference schedule along with what the other members had to say about it at their meeting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

May 22, 2012, 8:16 AM

Great job Hood! In my opinion, you asked the right questions and got good answers. Answers that tell us that TDP is saying what he needs to about the ACC and is in favor of it and it adjusting to changes. However, he also mentions the move to the SEC and Big12 forming twice, letting in on he knows all about changing and moving on, and he will do what is best for Clemson.

May 22, 2012, 11:28 AM

Great interview. In my view the ACC is a dead man walking. There are just not enough relevant football teams out there that could save it.

I am encouraged that TDP has been down this road with Arkansas and is connected with the Big 12.I think he know what he is doing.

I think that Clemson has been getting themselves prepared for months from creating the new committee to hiring the OU defensive coordinator. They know that football is the key and cant allow SC to bring in all of these $.

I believe we are leaving unless we get left at the alter

"One of the interesting things I've heard ...

May 22, 2012, 2:34 PM

is that the conference didn't do a good job of negotiating."

TDP goes on to elaborate on other conferences ability to bid up the contract by parlaying other TV networks interest.

Is there any reason Swofford wouldn't want to use RAYCOM's interest to bid up the ESPN contract? Or shop around for another bidder?

1. Fire Swofford.
2. Fire RAYCOM.
3. Renegotiate the contract.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic