Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Morris hopes Pistol shoots power into Clemson running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Morris hopes Pistol shoots power into Clemson running game

Apr 10, 2012, 9:40 PM

Morris hopes Pistol shoots power into Clemson running game

Chad Morris wanted to add the Pistol formation last season but had to put it on the backburner as he tried to get the rest of his offense installed. However, it appears defenses will see a healthy dose of it in 2012. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as it's used better than it has been in the past.

Apr 10, 2012, 9:44 PM

I remember we used it a couple time over the past few years, only to run the same play and get stuffed in the backfield.

Really? Did we use the pistol last year? Napier too?***

Apr 10, 2012, 9:54 PM

We ran it under Napier, actually. Not a lot, but a few times

Apr 10, 2012, 9:59 PM

I remember specifically against BC in 09 we did.

And we did use it a little last year down on the goal line.

BC '09, is that the lightning storm game when we held them

Apr 10, 2012, 10:06 PM

to something like 50 yards? Did we run it with Spiller?

I don't think it was Spiller. I wanna say Harper.

Apr 10, 2012, 10:08 PM

And maybe it got stuffed because Harper danced too much or something...regardless, we got nothing from it.

Yeah, the lightning storm game.

Message was edited by: 6317forever®

2010 and 2011 too?***

Apr 10, 2012, 10:16 PM

We used it once or twice in '10.

Apr 10, 2012, 10:23 PM

I couldn't tell you specifically. I just remember the one against BC because the offense was doing terrible, and then they came out in Pistol and I thought we'd do something interesting with it. Of course, we didn't.

I know for sure we used it in '11. Ellington scored once against FSU from about a yard out with it. 3rd quarter, the drive after the Boyd fumble for 6.

Edit: Here you go. 6:43 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFm-XQQpKco

Message was edited by: 6317forever®

Re: We ran it under Napier, actually. Not a lot, but a few times

Apr 11, 2012, 9:25 AM [ in reply to We ran it under Napier, actually. Not a lot, but a few times ]

Its like anything you do. You must get it close to perfect, or it doesn't work for you. And that is basically what Morris has just said. Don't confuse what somebody else has tried at Clemson. That's not the kind of coach that Morris is. Morris being the way Morris is, is why Morris makes the Bucks he makes. If we listen to Morris for two minutes, we will learn that he won't half A$$ nothing. So what ever someone else has tried at Clemson. They didn't perfect it before they use it. And that is why it didn't work. That is why Morris took his staff to learn from the man that has perfected it. Gooooooo Morris!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Against South Carolina, it was one of our more consistent..

Apr 10, 2012, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Really? Did we use the pistol last year? Napier too?*** ]

plays. Got 3-4 yards each time, and converted some short yardage too.

Of course, running the ball was scrapped in that game.

"Shoots"

Apr 10, 2012, 9:45 PM

I see what you did their haha I agree hope it adds to our Off.

Re: "Shoots"

Apr 11, 2012, 10:00 AM

I would bet we will be seeing all kinds of different schemes coming from the Pistol. Even if the D learns how to defend it. It will still slow the D down because they would have to see what the QB is going to do with ball at the start of the play. After the O has it perfected, it should be good for some yardage against anybody. Nevada had THREE 1000 yard rushers. That says a lot about the formation. And with Morris tinkering with it, he will pull something else out of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad's offense was already good. I can't wait to see it

Apr 10, 2012, 9:49 PM

run from the pistol. I think it could be very exciting and bring back our running game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not that it was bad before. Ellington did break 1,000.***

Apr 10, 2012, 9:50 PM

Re: Not that it was bad before. Ellington did break 1,000.***

Apr 10, 2012, 10:45 PM

I'm not knocking those numbers, but he really didn't split any carries significantly with anyone.

I think Ellington could have that this year...splitting carries...with this new offense.

I don't care if we run the shotgun, the pistol or the cannon

Apr 10, 2012, 9:52 PM

but if we don't start moving people off the ball on short yardage, may I be the first to suggest going to the "Mortar". Put somebody back there with some hops, and just Sam Bam it up and over. Ya heard me!

Re: Man, that is the truth. We were awful last year at that***

Apr 10, 2012, 9:53 PM

Re: Man, that is the truth. We were awful last year at that***

Apr 11, 2012, 10:21 AM

Yea, it was awful last year winning 10 games, winning the ACC CHAMPIONSHIP. Having a few guys breaking all types of records. I just hope we can repeat a lot of that awful stuff again this year, adding some more awful good stuff with it:)

We weren't perfect though

Apr 11, 2012, 1:17 PM

Always gotta work to get better. If you're not moving forward, you're moving backward.

This is it, and we'll never be a great team until we can.

Apr 10, 2012, 10:03 PM [ in reply to I don't care if we run the shotgun, the pistol or the cannon ]

Period.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Really? Did we use the pistol last year? Napier too?***

Apr 10, 2012, 9:55 PM

Like 5 times haha

Man, I must be getting old. I don't remember it.

Apr 10, 2012, 10:02 PM

I can't recall any of the games we used it in, but I'll admit there were parts of games I couldn't bear to watch :)

Hope It Works But

Apr 11, 2012, 1:25 AM

the key as always is the offensive line. They have to move people. But the back can take the handoff, take a shovel pitch, get open over the middle, and be a blocker for the QB if he runs or passes. Lots of options.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hope It Works But

Apr 11, 2012, 10:24 AM

Yep, lots of options. I just love it!!!

I'd like to see blocking shoot power into the running game..

Apr 11, 2012, 8:29 PM

Nothing improves a running game faster than just beating the guy lined up across from you on every play. hope they're practicing that.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic