Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part II - Conference Realignment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part II - Conference Realignment

Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 AM

Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part II - Conference Realignment

What does Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips say about the rumors concerning a Clemson move to the Big 12? How does the move to nine game conference schedule affect future games with Georgia, Ole Miss and Oklahoma St? What does Phillips think of the current BCS system? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either Stupid or Lying...

Feb 9, 2012, 11:57 AM

I think lying. He is a smart man.

Anyone in the position he is in doesn't justify that we continue on a strategic path because "that's what we've done for 50 years." Everyone knows you need to constantly be evaluating your options and looking for ways to advance yourself, and that is evident in his comments regarding the committees being formed as well as what I read as resentment toward the ACC for the TV contract and its short-comings for the individual schools.

He didn't anwer the question.

Feb 9, 2012, 12:06 PM

The million dollar question was 'Do you feel like the ACC is being left behind monetarily?' He talks about why the Pac-10/12 got a nice contract. Wha?? This question is directly related back to the first question, 'What would go into a decision to switch conferences?'. There is no mention of money or conference payouts in his answer.

Better questions to ask TDP would be 'How does the current revenue that we receive from the ACC compare to similar universities of other conferences and does our current conference affiliation put us at a competitive disadvantage?'

He said when we got the contract it was in the top 3 of all

Feb 9, 2012, 12:28 PM

the conferences...then when the Pac-12 expanded ESPN and Fox came together to keep NBC out of it which in turn gave the Pac-12 more money.

Basically he is saying yes, but the Pac-12 had better timing and thus got more money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read between the lines...the ACC screwed up***

Feb 9, 2012, 2:30 PM [ in reply to He didn't anwer the question. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL***

Feb 9, 2012, 2:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part II - Conference Realignment

Feb 9, 2012, 12:18 PM

For me, this is just a BS interview with TDP. And a gross waste of time. As we all have learned from the past. None of the talking Heads are going tell us fans anything untill its all over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He didn't really answer any question or say anything of

Feb 9, 2012, 12:24 PM

substance, which is pretty much what I expected. If you want to know what is going on, look at actions not words. And try to read between the lines.

This is high stakes poker and no one is going to show their hand prematurely.

It looks like once again Clemson fans will be cheated out of

Feb 9, 2012, 12:24 PM

great matchups for mid majors and sorry ACC teams just so we can have 7 home games a year. And trash games at that--Furman. Ball State. Then add in there Duke, Syracuse, Wake Forest, etc.

Our only rival games now are FSU, USuC, and GT. GT dosen't even have a 70,000 seat stadium.

Where is the Georgia rivalry of old? God, that was an awesome game to be a part of. USuC will benefit because they play big-games.

PLEASE SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE FANS AND WHAT WE LIKE. PLEASE. WE WANT QUALIITY FOOTBALL GAMES!

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just like this year we have no sch but have to ante up IPTAY

Feb 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

wise in the next few days. we think we know who we will play but dont really know for sure. the whole structure is based on once we have your money we will do what we want. I think this FSU problem is just an excuse to keep from showing the ACC's hand

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't disagree with you, but your memory is short.

Feb 9, 2012, 3:01 PM [ in reply to It looks like once again Clemson fans will be cheated out of ]

See such matchups from the "glory days" as Long Beach State, UNLV, App. State, Furman, Western Carolina, pre-Beamer VT, Citadel, Kentucky, etc. Heck, even in 1981 we played Tulane, Wofford, and Kentucky. I miss UGA just like you do (and it's not like we even played them every year), but it's not as though the last few years are some deviation from the norm.

UGA was a constant from 1974 onward to 1988-89.

Feb 9, 2012, 3:10 PM

We played a series with FSU--who was not in ACC at the time. Then we played UGA in 1990-91. So we played a HUGE OCG 18 years in a row and during our 80's heyday.

BTW: Kentucky was quality too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when we played UGA every year.***

Feb 9, 2012, 3:45 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree with you, but your memory is short. ]

Re: Front Page Story: Conversation with Terry Don Phillips - Part II - Conference Realignment

Feb 9, 2012, 12:27 PM

I still don't see us switching conferences.

Feb 9, 2012, 2:27 PM

Just like Bashful has said. And I believe it to be true. High stakes, and TDP isn't even showing he has a hand to play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey TDP, your time has run out

Feb 9, 2012, 2:49 PM

I mean it has, according to the hourglass timer on your desk

Just sayin

Horrible news. Our schedule will be more boring from now on.

Feb 9, 2012, 3:20 PM

That is the worst thing I have heard in a long time in Clemson football. If we cancel our UGA matchup I will be more than pissed off. The athletic department should be punished for decreasing the value of season tickets with poor scheduling.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Why do we need 7 home games? I'll pay 2x as much to

Feb 9, 2012, 3:27 PM

watch us play UGA vs. Ball State

Can't afford to give up 7th game, but can afford to stay in

Feb 10, 2012, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Horrible news. Our schedule will be more boring from now on. ]

ACC? PRIORITIES ARE A BIT SCREWY.

Re: Can't afford to give up 7th game, but can afford to stay in

Feb 10, 2012, 10:00 AM

and where would U have us go??? SEC; c$$ts blocked us and the SEc does not want us!
Big 12??so we get away from UNC domination and go 1,100 miles to Texas domination???

my solution= get rid of swoffie and add some football schools( ND and Penn State) to the ACC and get a GOOD T/V CONTRACT!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TDP: Proof you can't earn a President's posiiton....

Feb 9, 2012, 4:46 PM

My question is, "Who's the yahoo that gave him this job?"
This man has no clue!!

Sorry.. wrote "president" and meant "AD."***

Feb 9, 2012, 4:56 PM

In Defense of TDP...........

Feb 9, 2012, 4:59 PM

He cannot say anything at this time other than Clemson is a proud member of the ACC. If he even remotely suggested Clemson was shopping it would be a political disaster should a potential move not work out........

He did make one slip.....The interviewer did not say anything about FSU and TDP mentioned them in comment, so Clemson and FSU are up to something.........

Also, TDP did not say Clemson was not interested in moving. He just said Clemson wasn't contacted......he didn't say if Clemson contacted the B12.......He just said WE weren't contacted....

He then took us down a journey through memory lane about the last 50 years of the ACC.....He didn't saying anything about the next 50 years.....

AD's are crafty politicians that can do some pretty clever things with words....

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

funny, he then took us down a journey. True, that whole

Feb 9, 2012, 8:50 PM

line about Clemson has had 50 plus years to leave adds up to nothing.

Re: In Defense of TDP...........

Feb 10, 2012, 8:20 AM [ in reply to In Defense of TDP........... ]

I think the only reason he mentioned FSU was because they are part of the rumor mill and everyone has heard the rumor of the two teams leaving the ACC...if you think he hasn't heard it you're crazy

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about 6.5 home games, but more quality?

Feb 9, 2012, 6:44 PM

Rather than scheduling TWO annual non-con cupcake slaughters that few people want to watch, how about this?...

In the years when Clemson has 4 ACC home games, schedule UGA, SCar, and (if need be) a Troy-caliber cupcake game for home. That's 7 home games.

In the years when Clemson has 5 ACC home games, schedule @UGA, @SCar and a Troy-caliber home game. That's 6 home games.

On the 2-year average Clemson would have 6.5 home games. That's 93% of the 7-home-game goal. Couldn't that 7% gap be made up by (1) raising prices a bit for games that people would actually want to pay to see, and by (2) the increased attendance for higher quality opponents, and (3) the more valuable TV rights? (Not sure if Clemson gets more money for more valuable TV games.) Aside from perhaps some decreased revenue from the local hotel & entertainment industry, couldn't Clemson be made whole with a quality 6.5-home-game schedule rather than a 7-game cupcake-laden schedule?

Seems like UGA games would be PACKED.

From a W-L, bowl-eligibility perspective, the ACC is already so weak (6th in the Sagarin rankings last season, and 0-9 against non-con teams that finished in the AP Top 25) it's not like Clemson needs to pad a murderer's row schedule with cupcakes.

He did say nobody from the Big 12 has contacted Clemson

Feb 9, 2012, 8:53 PM

but he did not say Clemson has not contacted the Big 12 which is whats out there.

Re: How about 6.5 home games, but more quality?

Feb 11, 2012, 7:45 AM [ in reply to How about 6.5 home games, but more quality? ]

Well Razz, good post. Good to see you using your talent for positive suggestions rather than a platform for diatribes. really, good post!
Rather than jacking far north basketball programs into the ACC, there are plenty of decent southern and Mid-Atlantic schools with FB pedigrees. I am not in favor of leaving the ACC, well, except for the SEC. One can dream.

Feb 9, 2012, 10:36 PM

I don't think clemson has a choice if they want to be considered a national football program. They need to find a better confrence. The ACC is all about basketball and doesn't care about football. Clemson&FSU are going to fall behind the pack. In my opinion the Big 12 is our best option.

WAC didn't keep Boise & ACC isn't keeping us from top tier.

Feb 10, 2012, 2:07 AM

The lowly MWC didn't keep TCU from being a nationally respected football program. And the lowly Big East didn't keep WVU from stomping Clemson.

Don't blame the ACC for Clemson's weakness. Blame Clemson's administration and fans for accepting upper-mediocrity. Clemson kept Tommy Bowden around way too long, and then replaced him with a zero-experience WR coach that no other football school in the country would have hired. You think it's the ACC that's keeping us from being nationally respected in football? No, it's getting whupped by NCSU, SCar, and absolutely humiliated by WVU. Did the ACC cause that or did our mediocre coaching?

If you want Clemson to be nationally respected, hire coaches like Peterson or Patterson to be the head coach.

Apples to oranges comparison

Feb 10, 2012, 10:19 PM

Boise State and TCU both come from conferences where they could recruit partial qualifiers and were able to get the talented kids that Oregon, Southern Cal, Texas Oklahoma, etc. get because they couldn't accept them. We don't have that option, and when both join their new conferences they will not either. I expect TCU to drop off fairly quickly in the Big XII, Boise State may hang on a little longer but eventually they will come down from their high as well.

Re: WAC didn't keep Boise & ACC isn't keeping us from top tier.

Feb 11, 2012, 8:00 AM [ in reply to WAC didn't keep Boise & ACC isn't keeping us from top tier. ]

Oops, my mistake. A leopard cannot change his spots. Frankly, I like the direction in which Dabo has us headed. The big name coaches you desire started somewhere. I beleive Dabo could build the dynasty we crave. I also beleive he would not leave us for another school, with the exception of Alabama. I don't think they will have an opening anytime soon.
Weren't you a Rich Rod advocate in the P&C posts? Now there is a meteor for you.

should have left acc long ago and "wandered" like sc

Feb 9, 2012, 11:58 PM

Acc certainly has not been good for Clemson fans or players. Years of refs brutalizing our bball players even if they are a step slower, its ridiculous. Moving baseball tourney away, we had too many fans. Tacking on extra probation to football,they hate it when we have a little success. Come on the acc may be good for the ad or folks in some inner circle at Clemson but it has not done a thing for anyone else in 50 years or the next 100 years. I believe the ACC must have been rubbing the rock for a long time.

Re: should have left acc long ago and "wandered" like sc

Feb 11, 2012, 8:01 AM

Or smoking it :-0

Why cant we "afford" not to have a seventh home game?

Feb 10, 2012, 9:31 AM

Does just the home team get the TV revenue?

Frankly, Id rather pay more for FSU, Miami, USC etc tickets and not be pay $35 for a Northern Illinois or Troy. I say keep the Woffords and Citadels, cause that is important to schools in our State.

What other money do we "give up" by not having 7 home games?

Re: Why cant we "afford" not to have a seventh home game?

Feb 10, 2012, 11:09 AM

For financial reasons we DO have to play seven home games. You don't really think that the top schools you are referring to such as UGA are going to come to Clemson and play us in the Valley do you??? We will continue to 'buy' at least one game a year and play a mid-major school. Like it or not. Everyone does it so why should Clemson be anm\y different?

Heck, I'd Go

Feb 10, 2012, 1:01 PM

for a six-game home schedule once in awhile if we could get UGA on the schedule sometimes - home and home - and get rid of a cupcake every now and then. BTW, last year's "cupcakes" did not go quitely.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't remember the first Chick Fil A game with Bama?

Feb 10, 2012, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Why cant we "afford" not to have a seventh home game? ]

We made over $2 million and TDP said we still lost money but gained exposure. People tend to way underestimate what a home game even against a nobody brings in altogether.

What would you rather see?

Feb 10, 2012, 8:06 PM

If we had the option wouldn't you rather watch clemson play texas over someone like duke?

you also play iowa st., texas tech, baylor, kansas st.

Feb 11, 2012, 11:12 AM

kansas. Now while all of those teams have a their year (i.e. Baylor this year), none of them are consistently good.

Our most interesting games would be Texas, Oklahoma and W. Virginia, unless FSU came with. If you think UNC runs the ACC, wait until you get a taste of Texas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you also play iowa st., texas tech, baylor, kansas st.

Feb 11, 2012, 7:08 PM

Hold on you forgot Ok. St & TCU. The Big 12 top to bottom is way better than the ACC. Clemson would gain more respect playing in the Big 12 vs. the ACC. And wouldn't you rather have a football school (Texas)running the show instead of a basketball school(UNC)? Lets be realistic, football is were the money is as well as fan interest. Duke, WF, UNC and NCST are going to have a difficult time producing powerhouse football teams on a consistent basis because the best recruits are going to be targets for us and the sec. And if I remember correctly, the last time we played TCU & Texas tech we lost as well. I think our program is on the rise and we had better at least explore the option.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic