Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables speaks out in first interview since accepting job as Clemson DC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3,458

Front Page Story: Venables speaks out in first interview since accepting job as Clemson DC

Jan 19, 2012, 12:29 PM

Venables speaks out in first interview since accepting job as Clemson DC

New defensive coordinator Brent Venables, in his first interview since accepting the job at Clemson, talks about leaving Oklahoma and why he thinks Clemson is the best fit for him at this time in his life. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To almost double my salary, I'd go with my gut too. :)***

Jan 19, 2012, 12:41 PM

You did read where they were going to match the offer

Jan 19, 2012, 12:43 PM

Or at least in his words come very very close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe they should have upped the ante by a couple

Jan 19, 2012, 12:55 PM

hundred Thousand

That is weak by OU

They basically demoted him - after he has been loyal to them

then they try and match ??

They shoulda said - here match - plus $200,000.oo

null

Yep, I think when they brought Stoops in as a Co + the CU $

Jan 19, 2012, 1:07 PM

to me, it would have been an easy decision.

Of course he didn't read that - then where would his basis

Jan 19, 2012, 1:27 PM [ in reply to You did read where they were going to match the offer ]

of witty sarcasm have come from ?

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: You did read where they were going to match the offer

Jan 19, 2012, 4:30 PM [ in reply to You did read where they were going to match the offer ]

Oh, in his words! Well, based on what I read he was being demoted as DC! I hope it works out, but until we get a good DL we are gonna hurt on defense. We had mostly a senior DL this year and look what happened in the big games. He's got to improve the talent level on defense.

And Bowden bluffed TDP that Arkansas offered him the HC job

Jan 20, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to You did read where they were going to match the offer ]

I imagine Bob Stoops thinks Venables is a good, but not great DC, and Bob thinks Mike Stoops is a great DC. Otherwise why disprespect Venables and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year by bringing in Mike Stoops as "Co-DC"? I'd guess that Bob Stoops is happy that Venables left and was happy to help his friend (Venables) bluff TDP into a higher salary.

They probably figured that TDP is a sucker for a bluff after hearing about the fiasco where Tommy Bowden bluffed TDP into a pay-raise, contract-extension and $4M buyout by getting his Arkansas AD buddy to pretend that he had offered Bowden a job, when in fact their BOT rejected Bowden early on.

You should write fiction... wait.***

Jan 20, 2012, 12:43 PM

Re: To almost double my salary, I'd go with my gut too. :)***

Jan 19, 2012, 3:34 PM [ in reply to To almost double my salary, I'd go with my gut too. :)*** ]

he can not read!

Please check your sarcasm meter, it's a good hire!***

Jan 19, 2012, 5:54 PM [ in reply to To almost double my salary, I'd go with my gut too. :)*** ]

Venables speaks as Clemson DC- error here

Jan 19, 2012, 12:43 PM

Mike Stoops is not Oklahoma's head coach. Bob is

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to listen to the interview. Translation has voids.***

Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJR0505 posted it.***

Jan 19, 2012, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Venables speaks as Clemson DC- error here ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will not be willing to go through this process again

Jan 19, 2012, 12:47 PM

unless it is for a HC position. He will love Clemson and it will take the dream job to get him to leave...and it will come after he brings success to Clemson's D.

Game Over ACC

Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 PM

You never know how something like this will work out, but my first impression is very positive. Clemson has better talent on defense than has shown over the last three years not just this past year. Not to say anything negative about departing coaches it is simply my strong opinion. Considering our schedule coming up unless someone does a 180 we will not face one deadly offense all year. With the speed and athletes we have in comparison to our opponents' offenses this guy will do plenty to allow Chad to get the offense at bats a plenty. We will see, but I for one say game over ACC. And without a defense surrendering the zone read and qb scrambles for 20 yards on third downs the Coots can kiss their rear ends goodbye too.

Point for your optimism!***

Jan 19, 2012, 1:01 PM

Re: Game Over ACC

Jan 19, 2012, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Game Over ACC ]

I hope you're right....we'll see how it plays out. I welcome him to the team with open arms.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

Re: Game Over ACC

Jan 19, 2012, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Game Over ACC ]

thats why we are rated 5th in country next year by ESPN.

Thoughts on the interview

Jan 19, 2012, 1:06 PM

After listening to the interview, I can say that on a personal level, BV seems like a very loyal man, who values family, friendships, and his team. I also got the impression that he is a STRONG Oklahoma Sooner guy, and that he was really faced with a tough decision about whether to stay or go. Ultimately, it was his desire to be a head coach in the future that led him to make this move, which may be either good or bad for Clemson. For the sake of Clemson, I hope that he can translate this same type of love and energy into building strong relationships in this area and making the Tiger defense top of the ACC. I hope he's prepared to fall in love with orange and purple. I'm excited about seeing what this fall holds for the Tigers! Best wishes to Coach Venables and his family as they head south and east!

Re: Front Page Story: Venables speaks out in first interview since accepting job as Clemson DC

Jan 19, 2012, 2:49 PM

Did anybody listen to the audio. The man broke down in tears at the end. He is only trying to futher his career with the move. I already have a lot of respect for him. He seems be a very loyal person. Hopefully, he will share some of his loyal nature with Clemson. Welcome to Clemson BV!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables speaks out in first interview since accepting job as Clemson DC

Jan 19, 2012, 4:22 PM

If he can teach the Tigers how to tackle, I will be crying with joy!

Orange!

Jan 19, 2012, 4:30 PM

I cannot wait to see him in ORANGE instead of crimson!

And White***

Jan 19, 2012, 4:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

I feel for the guy

Jan 19, 2012, 7:42 PM

Onward and upward. Been there. It is difficult to uproot the family, say bye to friends and leave the place where you have laid down roots. Always a bit uneasy at first when you enter the unknown.

Re: I feel for the guy

Jan 19, 2012, 9:57 PM

I have no doubt the Clemson family will do our part in welcoming Brent and his family into these special hills.
Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 3,458
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic