Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Instant Analysis: West Virginia 70, Clemson 33
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Instant Analysis: West Virginia 70, Clemson 33

Jan 5, 2012, 12:20 AM

Instant Analysis: West Virginia 70, Clemson 33

The Mountaineers scored a bowl-record 70 points and Geno Smith threw six touchdown passes as West Virginia defeated Clemson 70-33 in the Discover Orange Bowl. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

first***

Jan 5, 2012, 12:21 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Instant Analysis: West Virginia 70, Clemson 33

Jan 5, 2012, 12:29 AM

70. Man. This 1 hurt. Still... ALL IN

fire steele on the way home, nuf said

Jan 5, 2012, 12:32 AM

fire him

Who fired Koenning and hired Steele?

Jan 5, 2012, 1:27 AM

There's a false belief that Koenning's D was softer and gave up more 3rd downs than Steele's D. The stats show otherwise...

Coming into the Orange Bowl, on scoring defense Clemson ranked:
2011: #62 (Steele)
2010: #13 (Steele)
2009: #25 (Steele)
2008: #13 (Koenning)
2007: #10 (Koenning)
2006: #16 (Koenning)
2005: #11 (Koenning)

In 3rd down defense Clemson ranked:
2011: #58, 39.2% (Steele)
2010: #49, 38.5% (Steele)
2009: #64, 39.0% (Steele)
2008: #46, 37.2% (Koenning)
2007: #36, 36.0% (Koenning)
2006: #46, 36.3% (Koenning)
2005: #32, 35.2% (Koenning)

And lets not forget that Koenning did better than Steele with a terrible OC (Spence) who put the defense on the field way too much.

I wish Dabo had used his people & management skills to smooth over any personality issues and keep Koenning. Imagine if Dabo had kept Koenning and hired a good OC (like Malzahn) instead of newbie OC Napier in 2009 with all that NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Wow!

But instead Dabo fired Koenning and hired his buddy, Napier as OC, even though Napier had no OC experience. Unforced rookie error. Too bad.
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/dec/02/clemsons_swinney_dismisses_defensive_coordinator_k/

Vic dug his own grave...Let it go...There is no management

Jan 5, 2012, 1:33 AM

strategy for open defiance. People who try and undermine their bosses get fired...not coddled...If Vic was so smart, he would have known that...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo could have been the bigger man & TRIED to retain Vic.

Jan 5, 2012, 2:27 AM

Haven't you ever been promoted over a peer who (understandably) becomes hurt and vocally bitter? I have a few times. If you're an inexperienced, foolish manager, you take it personally, get vengeful, and fire the person. If you're a smart manager, you smooth things over and you retain (and win over) good employees who can help you succeed. Dabo had no management experience so he fired one of the best DCs in the country.

The result? No stops in the 2009 ACCCG. 70 points for WVU. Think Vic would have given up 70 points? Koenning never gave up more than 34 points in regulation during his 4 years at Clemson-- even in that embarrassing Alabama loss which led to Bowden's firing. Look at what Vic has done at Clemson, Kansas State, and Illinois. One can give Dabo credit for the many good things he has done. But if you want to be fair, you have to admit that Dabo made a big mistake by firing Koenning. Dabo is just a human, not a god. He makes mistakes. That was one of his bigger mistakes as head coach.

Vic fired himself...Let it go...No HC can afford to have his

Jan 5, 2012, 3:05 AM

credibility/authority undermined by a disgruntled employee...PERIOD...Vic made his own bed, let him sleep in it...

Dabo didn't even TRY to gain Koenning's support.

Jan 5, 2012, 2:29 PM

If Dabo had kept Koenning and Koenning had undermined Dabo, your assertion would make sense. But that wasn't the case.

When TDP took the interim title from Dabo, Vic offered to stay as DC, so obviously (contrary to your assertion about Vic undermining Dabo) Vic was willing to swallow his pride and support Dabo. But Dabo didn't even give Vic a chance. Instead Dabo foolishly fired Koenning (apparently based on Dabo's personal dislike of Koenning).

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/dec/02/clemsons_swinney_dismisses_defensive_coordinator_k/

Re: Dabo could have been the bigger man & TRIED to retain Vic.

Jan 7, 2012, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Dabo could have been the bigger man & TRIED to retain Vic. ]

In hindsight, mistake probably. I have examined Dabo since he was made interim coach. I don't think he has a vengeful bone in him. I too was promoted from the ranks to guide 20 supervisors and 200 labor force. There are times when you want to nuke everyone. At that moment, you call someone you trust and just listen to them talk. About anything, while you sort things out and then make a rational decision. Often time it is like living on an island. A friend and mentor once said, " when all goes well, all get the credit. When it hits the fan, I get the blame. Therefore, I reserve the right to have input in everything that affects the running of this institution."
Right now, Dabo is on a deserted island. I for one think he is the man to lead CU football.

Instant analysis: WVU coaches did a MUCH better job.

Jan 5, 2012, 1:52 AM

Clemson had more talent on the field but WVU gave Clemson an old-fashioned butt whupping. That's on the coaches. And let's face it.... if Holgerson hadn't mercifully called off the dogs, WVU would have scored at least 84 (maybe 100) points. National embarrassment even at 70.

Our Bobby Dodd COY Award winner (which is laudably given for coaching, academics, and community service) has a lot more on-the-job training to do before he wins the Bear Bryant COY Award or the AFCA COY Award or the Maxwell COY Award or the ACC COY award, which is given for coaching.

Kudos to Dabo & crew for winning the ACC. It's a BIG step in the right direction.

I hope they had a good time in South Beach.

Re: Instant analysis: WVU coaches did a MUCH better job.

Jan 5, 2012, 1:55 AM

He didn't call off the dogs for very long...

Called off the dogs my @@@...He put Geno back in when we

Jan 5, 2012, 2:09 AM [ in reply to Instant analysis: WVU coaches did a MUCH better job. ]

scored to make it 63-26...Hardly merciful...

But WVU's play-calling went VERY conservative (run based).***

Jan 5, 2012, 2:29 AM

Nope...Geno threw 7 passes after he returned, and handed

Jan 5, 2012, 3:00 AM

it off 8 times...

Re: Instant analysis: WVU coaches did a MUCH better job.

Jan 5, 2012, 2:14 AM [ in reply to Instant analysis: WVU coaches did a MUCH better job. ]

I suspect those who decided to give Swinney the Dodd COY award are having second thoughts.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic