Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Steele talks third down, linebackers, and NC State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Steele talks third down, linebackers, and NC State

Nov 15, 2011, 1:50 PM

Steele talks third down, linebackers, and NC State

Tiger defensive coordinator Kevin Steele touched on a number of topics during his Tuesday media session. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks third down, linebackers, and NC State

Nov 15, 2011, 2:49 PM

I'm glad Stephone is learning on the fly. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch these next few years. His potential is unlimited! Tig is my favorite player on defense next to Yams and Rennie.

No question on the Poor Tackling?

Nov 15, 2011, 3:30 PM

this appears to be the main issue IMO. Trying to create turnovers are great, but don't always work out. Quit trying to strip the ball, and wrap the guy up. I'm not a coach, and nor am I pretending to be, but it is pretty obvious that we are a poor tackling team.

How many missed tackles were there on the kickoff where we could have potentially had a safety? At least three.

When has a Clemson beat writer ever asked a tough question?

Nov 15, 2011, 4:21 PM

I watched the TCU-Boise game after the Clemson-Wake game. TCU & Boise were both very good at tackling. I'm not sure if that was partly attributable to weaker RBs, but it was like night and day compared to the Clemson game.

WHAT?? Please, every time Bart Wright calls to light

Nov 15, 2011, 9:21 PM

some questionable decision by a Clemson coach everyone in TigerNet gets in an uproar and starts calling for Wright's head.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No question on the Poor Tackling?

Nov 15, 2011, 4:22 PM [ in reply to No question on the Poor Tackling? ]

funny how people's perspective is different. I agree that the tackling has been poor but as i sat and watched the game with my pals saturday we all three asked why the heck Clemson didn't attempt to strip more, especially in "gang tackling" situations haha. perhaps you are seeing something i am not but it didn't appear to me that the issue is attempting to create turnovers. the primary issue is linebackers being out of position and the secondary issue is poor tackling technique (some of the time).

Nov 15, 2011, 3:55 PM

IMHO, the question is not athleticism. We have that - the issue is assignment football. If you've watched the games this year you can see there are missed assignment all over the place. Of course there will be missed tackles, but especially in the GT and WF games there were gaps in the D. I can only attribute this to the inexperience and not the players or the coaches (I hope).

I'm still trying to figure out why we have two QBs (Boyd 1st half and Boyd 2nd half).

LB's play

Nov 15, 2011, 5:00 PM

I record each game and intently review the game play-by-play often days later. What I discovered this year is our LB play is athletic with speed, but they are often in the incorrect gaps and don't use correct technique. Biggest example of the technique statement, and I don't pretend to be a coach nor play one on TV...was the GT game. Willard, Hawkins, and Christian were either waiting for their knees to be cut or waiting for the OL to come to them to initiate contact. WF game wasn't as bad, but how many times did you see our LB's (even Anthony) get pushed back by OL. It seems we don't have the size and strength we need at LB (hopefully this crop of FR LB will stop that problem). Somebody mentioned the lack of big hits from our Defense and I think there is some truth to that. Seems like our recruiting for LB and DB play has been all about speed lately and less on toughness (excluding McDaniel, he was a headhunter).

The issue is not whether a LB can push an OL back, it's

Nov 16, 2011, 7:33 AM

getting off the block and making a play on the ball carrier. That's using your hands, mostly, to keep some separation and athleticism to get away. In fact, if the LB is trying to push the OL back, he's blocking himself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Nov 15, 2011, 4:00 PM

Our problems started on D with our soft coverage early. We let Wake move with ease. They made our D look pathetic. Better tackling would always help, but geez, try to be in position to tackle before they gain 7-8 yards. Press coverage helped, but Wake still had too many big plays.

I hope we WAKE THE HECK UP!!

When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING!

Nov 15, 2011, 4:38 PM

I graduated in 81. When people thought of Clemson - they thought of a hard hitting - nasty defense. We may lose the game - but at the end of it - you knew you earned it. It seems like about 10 years ago - Clemson quit hitting. I am sure each of you can come up with an example or two - but - all in all - we no longer hit like we used to. I have been to 2 games this year (live in south Florida) and watched them all - and I have seen very few big hits from our D. We don't have that intimidator.
I obviously am not a coach and don't have the answers - and sure as heck - love being 9-1 - but - I sure miss the days of the hard hitting D. Seeing a Maryland or a GaT or god forbid a Gamechicken QB break the pocket and run down field 25 yards and not get his bell rung - just does not seem right.

oh - well - still like being 9-1.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent point

Nov 15, 2011, 4:47 PM

The punishing hits just are'nt there.

When McDaniel graduated.***

Nov 15, 2011, 5:04 PM [ in reply to When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, we typically have at least one guy who is "that guy"

Nov 15, 2011, 8:54 PM

and this year we don't. We haven't had one at linebacker in a long, long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right.

Nov 15, 2011, 6:34 PM [ in reply to When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING! ]

Teams used to be beat up after they played us. Not anymore. We catch teams after they've been beat up by somebody else (FSU after OK) but you don't ever hear of somebody being beat up after playing us since McDaniel took out Ponder. Don't know what it's gonna take. Put gunpowder in their grits?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING!

Nov 15, 2011, 7:24 PM [ in reply to When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING! ]

One big change is that there weren't many spread offenses in 1981. When you play a wishbone or a spread offense, it's more of a speed match-up assignment defense.

I don't disagree as I would like to see more lights out hits too. Just think it's not as easy to play smash-mouth defense when you're chasing guys all over the field.

when the rules changed.

Nov 15, 2011, 8:52 PM [ in reply to When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING! ]

Have you not observed people getting flagged (or even ejected at FSU) for making legal hits. "helmet to helmet" is now anything that looks bad to an official.

It is not just Clemson, the game has changed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when the rules changed.

Nov 16, 2011, 12:13 AM

We never have that called on us. Until we get flagged for something like that I don't think we can say that's the issue.

Beat me to it. Half of those hits in the eighties would have

Nov 16, 2011, 12:30 AM [ in reply to when the rules changed. ]

the player ejected today.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING!

Nov 16, 2011, 12:34 AM [ in reply to When exactly did Clemson quit HITTING! ]

Byron Maxwell says hello:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXlEOQmHVo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL94E2043ADAEBC385
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6O5LrHegXY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL94E2043ADAEBC385

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Poor tackling, high motor, it will be fixed, we will fix it.***

Nov 15, 2011, 4:39 PM

Nov 15, 2011, 4:52 PM

Well, we have the chance to be 13-1 with a 50% Freshman class so hopefully they work out enough bugs to wins the remaining games. This also sets up great for the next couple of years as well. It won't be easy to win out, but they have to have that 4th quarter attitude the entire game. We have to demolish the chickens no matter what and VT will be out for payback so hopefully we bring our A game.

Nov 15, 2011, 5:05 PM

I think we got back on track during the 4th last Saturday. I'm calling for a 50+ point game this weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you please repeat that?

Nov 15, 2011, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks third down, linebackers, and NC State ]

...a chance to be 13-1 with a 50% (more accurately 42%) freshman class! How many among us dared to hope for that at the start of the season?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Would you please repeat that?

Nov 15, 2011, 9:05 PM

I thought we had 43 Freshman out of 82 players or was it 42 Freshmen out of 83 players??? :)

Re: Would you please repeat that?

Nov 16, 2011, 12:07 AM

Yes. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what's the issue on 1st and 2nd down?***

Nov 15, 2011, 8:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So what's the issue on 1st and 2nd down?***

Nov 15, 2011, 10:29 PM

he has not explained why after three years of "playing with your eyes" he cant stop anybody...all the stats dont have a lot to do with his poor coaching...we got the crap beat out of us in atlanta, and looked like crap against WF because one stat he left out was he cant stop anybody...what a fricking joke and will cost us the orange bowl; but dont worry he will say our inabilty to stop our opponent is unacceptable and he will change things...this guy needs to go

Re: So what's the issue on 1st and 2nd down?***

Nov 16, 2011, 5:00 AM

In Steele I trust! Look at his track record. last year Clemson had one of the worst offenses in the country and put the defense in terrible situations and we were still able to have one of the best Defenses in the country. We lost basically our whole D line and secondary. We all knew there would be some growing pains this year with our Defense but that has been forgotten because of how lights out our Offense has been. If Steele has another sub par year next year then you can start talking like that and calling for his head but I have full faith that Clemson's Defense will be much improved next year with more experience. Its harder to coach younger defensive players than it is to coach younger offensive players. So calm down buddy and enjoy watching the tigers win the ACC!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic