Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Steele says defense is average, cites breakdowns versus Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Steele says defense is average, cites breakdowns versus Tech

Nov 1, 2011, 4:07 PM

Steele says defense is average, cites breakdowns versus Tech

To say that Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is disappointed would be an understatement. Mad enough to chew nails is more like it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and so it continues***

Nov 1, 2011, 4:08 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottomline is everyone knew the defense

Nov 1, 2011, 4:15 PM

would take a step back from what it was last year with losing so many players. Our weak spot is at LB and will not be the weak spot next year with Townsend, Anthony, Goodson and Steward who are all freshman. Lost the best two players from the secondary last year and are very young. Anyone who thought this defense was gonna be better, doesn't have a clue about football and what it takes to be successful. But I guess it just makes morons feel better to point fingers. Name one DC that the Clemson fans have ever liked and not complained about? So the ones who complain constantly are the ones living in fantasy world.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he said

Nov 1, 2011, 4:17 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all other pumpers say, nay***

Nov 1, 2011, 4:34 PM

your fellow pumpers don't seem to think so***

Nov 1, 2011, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Bottomline is everyone knew the defense ]

Re: Bottomline is everyone knew the defense

Nov 1, 2011, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Bottomline is everyone knew the defense ]

u are quite rt but will we improve over say the next yr. our d line has not played particularly bad. I see our true weaknesses improving but have we ever lost this much, esp on dline, in what will be next yr. If we are deep here then no problem but Crawford and Goodman are all I have seen to be noticed.
we get a d to match what will only get better and we will not be sweating (fig spkg) pregame(and I think most resonable people knew they would play their best game yet) ab playing Tech(esp the one fr GA)

oh yeah, i do see Crawford as possibly the best we have

Nov 1, 2011, 7:32 PM

had here in a while. i do realize what Gaines and Bowers did but i think he has a more true power game than either did at this point in their career.

everyone knew it would take step back, but this defense….

Nov 1, 2011, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Bottomline is everyone knew the defense ]

taken 20 steps back. It was expected that the defense wouldn't be as good as it was last year, but the defense has went from to some of the highest rankings in defensive categories to some of the worst rankings in defensive categories. Being 93rd against the rush is terrible, and there is no excuse for being that bad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2011, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Bottomline is everyone knew the defense ]

Even with the defensive breakdowns we would have been in there without the turnovers. It really is better than years past and a lot more fun to watch.

So 93rd in rush defense in the nation is better than years..

Nov 1, 2011, 8:24 PM

past?

No. Clemson football in general and being 8-1.

Nov 1, 2011, 8:32 PM

It beats being 5-4. It's been exciting. Tell me it hasn't been. Tell me you would prefer to be on the losing end of a 59-38 score.

Re: So 93rd in rush defense in the nation is better than years..

Nov 1, 2011, 8:40 PM [ in reply to So 93rd in rush defense in the nation is better than years.. ]

and yes it upsets me...but this is way better than last year from an overall standpoint. We are winning at home and beat VT on the road. We survived Md, when we didn't before.

Nov 2, 2011, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Bottomline is everyone knew the defense ]

So the bottom line is this. We should never knock other teams either right? Because we never know if they are playing with youth, inexperience, or injuries like us. I kinda like that idea. Do you think it will stick?

I'm buying it..

Nov 1, 2011, 8:17 PM [ in reply to and so it continues*** ]

I can remember being guilty of that - executing perfectly in practice and then being a bundle of nerves in the game and doing the exact opposite of what I was supposed to do.

Yes. He has to find a way to break through to those few and make them step up.

Re: and so it continues***

Nov 1, 2011, 9:30 PM [ in reply to and so it continues*** ]

dont know who is average but 2 years ago we were embarassed by run type offenses and wildcat at usuc with gilmore. not much has changed except the players. get ready for a dose of the same at bill brice. hope our o holds up..

Re: and so it continues***

Nov 2, 2011, 6:54 AM [ in reply to and so it continues*** ]

You may. Frankly, we knew our young defense would have issues this year. The fire of this year will only harden this defense and mold them into a unit to compliment the offense.
Had the offense been a little more 2011 Clemson-like, then GT would have been 1 dimensional and easily handled by our "D".

Bottom line... He better get them prepared to win!***

Nov 2, 2011, 9:25 AM [ in reply to and so it continues*** ]

GT DEFENSE

Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 AM [ in reply to and so it continues*** ]

The only thing that stings as much as loosing is the fact we knew what GT was gonna do and they did it to our face and beat us straight up. As Steele said we didnt execute or play assignments. ANYONE HAVE IDEAS MOVING FWD ON REMAINING 11 SEASON HOW TO GET CONSISTENCY OUT OF OUR DEFENSE. (THE DEFENSE THAT SHOWED UP AGAINST VT?)

Just seemed like we tried TOO hard... if that's possible

Nov 1, 2011, 4:20 PM

Instead of just doing their individual job, maybe a few were over-zealous and just tried to do too much. Just my opinion. But Wake's traditional offense spells 'lights out' for them. We punch our ticket for Charlotte on Nov 12.

Re: Just seemed like we tried TOO hard... if that's possible

Nov 1, 2011, 4:22 PM

Wake was just given a blue print. Not gonna be as easy as we want now.

Wake doesn;t have the tools or the time

Nov 1, 2011, 4:25 PM

with a big game against Notre Dame to implement any option if they don't already have it in their playbook.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I know the play to which he referred

Nov 1, 2011, 4:21 PM

Everyone's in the proper position, the LB is ready to take the QB, but he then inexplicably moves towards the pitch man (who was already covered by another defender), leaving the QB free.

QB runs for a long time.

There is only so much the coaches and DC can do. The proper call was made, and the player was in the right spot to make a TFL.

On the flipside, we have had problems defending option attacks for more than a few games.

So maybe SOMETHING about the manner in which the players are being coached is just not translating to proper play.

Or perhaps it is the decision as to which players are on the field.

Nevertheless, it was a team loss. The defense did not turn the ball over 4 times and miss a field goal.

Yep.That was Quandon Christian on that play that left the qb***

Nov 1, 2011, 4:31 PM

take out the QB early and often....

Nov 1, 2011, 4:35 PM [ in reply to I know the play to which he referred ]

then in the 2nd half you know he will pitch it every time

Re: I know the play to which he referred

Nov 1, 2011, 4:41 PM [ in reply to I know the play to which he referred ]

We've had problems defending the option for a long time.

We need a middle linebacker that blows up the center.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

That wasn't the only play

Nov 1, 2011, 5:26 PM [ in reply to I know the play to which he referred ]

but I still don't understand the way we lined up. Everyone knows that our LBs are inexperienced and the weakest overall spot on the D. Yet we still put all the pressure in the flexbone on them. We played outside technique almost all game long and played the Mike 5 to 6 yards deep. Even a dive play was almost guaranteed to get 3 to 4 yards.

Move the tackles and ends inside or at least play head up. That way the QB only has 2 options, run it or pitch it. We allowed him to have all 3 of his reads by our alignment. We could have used the DL to take some of the stress off the LBs.

but the defense did give up 40 min TOP***

Nov 1, 2011, 7:35 PM [ in reply to I know the play to which he referred ]

There is no correlation between TOP and winning

Nov 1, 2011, 7:40 PM

Contrary to popular belief.

Points are what matters.

TOP IS EVERYTHING!!!

Nov 1, 2011, 8:01 PM

Source: tigerking79

Fact...***

Nov 1, 2011, 10:01 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with tigerking here..

Nov 1, 2011, 9:38 PM [ in reply to but the defense did give up 40 min TOP*** ]

TOP played a big role in this game. There is no hard and fast rule about TOP (although I bet it leans more towards the teams who get the "W"), but I think it played a big part in the game. Our strength is our "O". They kept it off the field and kept it to 65 plays.

Re: I know the play to which he referred

Nov 1, 2011, 9:32 PM [ in reply to I know the play to which he referred ]

Couldn't agree with you more. Why does the media love Nick Saban teams? It's all about balance. Solid play all around. Stoic discipline.

Below Average

Nov 1, 2011, 4:31 PM

The defense is not average. It is way below average. Only played 1 good game all year vs. Va. Tech. Gave up 30 to almost every other team. The only thing that has saved the team is the offense (Morris). If they had the same offense as last year this team would be 5-4. Period. Steele needs to get it together. I want 12-1 with BCS game. Go Tigers!

i wish i could thumbs up that most 1 million times and I

Nov 1, 2011, 4:37 PM

would spend the next 48 hours of my unemployed life doing that. now, if only the rest of clemson nation could understand that our D has sucked all year, sans VT, but we still have an incredible opportunity ahead of us......go away pumpers and dumpers......we need realists!!!

Re: i wish i could thumbs up that most 1 million times and I

Nov 1, 2011, 4:59 PM

I would thumbs up your post as well. Call me a curmudgeon (sp?) but I haven't been happy with the D since the start of the season. I've wondered about the perception and reality regarding some of the postings but we have had problems on defense all year and things are not improving.

No one pulls harder for these Tigers but I like to be realistic in regards to what is average, above and below.

we sucked, except when we didn't. that's just great.***

Nov 1, 2011, 5:01 PM [ in reply to i wish i could thumbs up that most 1 million times and I ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

We give up too many possessions

Nov 1, 2011, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Below Average ]

when your offense is trying to get 12-15 possessions in a game that also means your defense has to defend 12 to 15 possessions. Its tough to pitch shutouts that many times when you give the opponent the ball that many times.

No the defense isn't going to win us any national championships this year and it is the weak link, but looking back at it
Auburn - defense gave up 3 points after the 9 minute mark in the 2nd
FSU - defense gave up 23 (pick 6)
VT - defense gave up 3
BC - defense gave up 14
MD - defense gave up 31 (pick 6 and a fumble on the 9)...and in general played like crap
UNC - defense gave up 17 (KO return and 2 garbage TDs)
GT - defense played like absolute crap

They are giving up too many big plays but GT was the first one that was able to actually sustain long drives on us. You can use the offense to help the defense....like what GT did. They used their offense to keep our offense off the field. We did that in the 4th against VT.

Re: Below Average

Nov 1, 2011, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Below Average ]

but we don't have the same O as last year it's muuuuuch better, and we don't have the same D as last year it's muuuuch less talented...steele says 'we got what we got".... believe him.

exactly...it's not coaching**

Nov 2, 2011, 6:31 AM

Re: Front Page Story: Steele says defense is average, cites breakdowns versus Tech

Nov 1, 2011, 5:04 PM

He should be able to chew nails. The defense being unprepared is his fault, not the players. He has to instill the discipline within the athletes to stay committed to their responsibilities. DRILL AFTER DRILL AFTER DRILL...One would think he would have learned that after the Wofford game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness, Where the Tigers play...

Re: Front Page Story: Steele says defense is average, cites breakdowns versus Tech

Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 PM

Not to defend Steele, but I know from coaching you can drill, drill, drill. Like he said, in practice the players did everything perfect, but didn't exicute in prime time. Nothing is more frustrating to a coach. And he probably knows whats on the bench isn't as good or they would be starters. Not always on the coaches, players have to exicute also. Sometimes, for obvious reasons, you can't coach away mentail errors. And recruits don't always live up to their hype.

never seem set

Nov 1, 2011, 5:07 PM

The D never seems to be set, they are always running around looking for player to cover and pointing them out to other defenders. Some guys are just putting there mouth piece in when the ball is already snapped. Seems like they are surprised every week by the opponents offense. I understand other teams moving the ball but scoring a TD and big plays just come way to easy.

Hope this doesnt sound too dumb...

Nov 1, 2011, 5:28 PM

We won 3 state championships running a 5-2 defensive front. And back then everyone ran the ball in some fashion (w-bone,I,or a mix).

Don't say this aint HS....we're winning with a Texas HS offensive coord.

Like to see the 5-2 against GT in December.

Re: Hope this doesnt sound too dumb...

Nov 1, 2011, 5:51 PM

you have more playmakers at WR in college so your LBs have to cover flats more. if you only have 2 LBs they cannot cover the flat.

I'm no defensive mind whatsoever but that makes logical sense to me as to why when you elevate talent levels you add LBs and drop D Linemen/Corners.

Nov 1, 2011, 6:00 PM

We don't want "average" and i am pretty sure Clemson is paying Steele for more than just average. Fix it.

how is 93rd in the nation against the run average?…..

Nov 1, 2011, 7:31 PM

that's not average, that's down right terrible.

I like his commitment to his players and his refusal to give

Nov 1, 2011, 7:40 PM

the media names.

Re: I like his commitment to his players and his refusal to give

Nov 1, 2011, 8:19 PM

Agreed. It would serve no purpose. It would alienate they players, their families and coaches. He can do that in the film room and at practice.

Nov 1, 2011, 9:04 PM

I just don't think the guys were prepared for the GA Tech offense - maybe Steele is just average and he is the one that had the breakdowns versus Tech.

Steele is the man...love him...

Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 PM

He knows we need to upgrade talent at the moment and he knows what to do. Some of you idiots think it's just about coaching them up and wearing a Clemson uniform. Steele will get it done and we are recruiting better. Shout-up and wait.....

He's got it backwards

Nov 1, 2011, 11:01 PM

Defense is great, coaching is average

Nov 1, 2011, 11:24 PM

This is just my opinion but I thought that Saturday the defense played good enough to win and the offense did not. I would not say that the defense played good by any standard. But the offensive play calling during the 1st half was not too good. The defense gave up too many big plays and has so all year but to me the offensive play calling wasn't that good either. I know one time Tahj ran the ball 3 times in a row for a 3 and out, that's not smart. He is not a great open field runner, he more more of a scrambling threat when things break down. Short intermediate passes is what this offense lived off of in the beginning of the season and that's how we sustained so many drives. And that part of our game has seemed to disappear. Every time we got some momentum we turned the ball over. If we did score it was off big plays and the Defense had no time to rest. Too many short drives. You're not going to beat Georgia Tech unless you keep there offense off the field... Just my opinion.. But I love Clemson athletics and I trust that this will be fixed.. We still have a division championship to win next Saturday!

the VT game was an anomaly, we are what we thought we

Nov 2, 2011, 8:50 AM

would be on defense. Young and inexperienced with potential. Thankfully we have a great offense

I totally expected ...

Nov 2, 2011, 1:10 PM

the defense to give up 30 points, but I really thought we would score enough to overcome it. You just can't turn the ball over 4 times to a team that can control the clock they way GT can. I think the turnovers is what cost us the game, IMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic