Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse

Sep 18, 2011, 9:26 AM

ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse

The Atlantic Coast Conference made it official Sunday morning - the conference has extended a formal invitation to the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrible move for ACC fooball

Sep 18, 2011, 9:33 AM

Pitt and Syracuse are jokes.

It's really time for FSU and Clemson to leave the ACC. Only problem is the SEC has already stated and put it bluntly that there will be no expansion within the current footprint. Meaning they absolutely will not take FSU or Clemson.

The ACC has basically positioned itself so it will not be

Sep 18, 2011, 9:42 AM

pilaged by other conferences by increasing the buyout amount for schools attempting to leave the conference. Link below. Looks like Clemson, FSU, and VT will definitely stay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/29051/acc-received-applications-buyout-increased-exponentially

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, imagine that. A business protecting its own interests.

Sep 18, 2011, 1:18 PM

I fail to see the conspiracy.

Re: Terrible move for ACC fooball

Sep 18, 2011, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

Agreed...I'm not for the Clemson moving out of the ACC but this almost smells like Swofford was preemptively anticipating it. Could actualy seal the fate for teams like Clemson to bolt to a stronger football conference. Other than baseketball this move makes zero sense other than being able to say the ACC now has a complete footprint - that massive Pittsburgh TV market is now ours.

Re: Terrible move for ACC fooball

Sep 18, 2011, 9:52 AM

Honestly I hope we can play in the SEC... With our players, coaches, and recruiting we could be a really strong force!!!!!!!!

Basketball runs this conference, not football unfortunately.

Sep 18, 2011, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

As long as Duke and Chapel Hole pull the strings then things will stay the same. Take note that "Coach K" was very much in favor of this move as reported by eSECpn. Funny that they didn't ask Coach Beamer or Jimbo Fisher about the additions. No doubt the Cuse will make a fine addition to the ACC basketball credentials.

At least we beat Auburn..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Pit has a pretty good history in football and a heck of a HC

Sep 18, 2011, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

Not much to complain about football wise with them.. and Both have outstanding Basketball programs.. But Football is the end all be all for people like you so no point in talking to you further

Re: Pit has a pretty good history in football and a heck of a HC

Sep 19, 2011, 5:21 AM

Lets not forget football for most schools, brings in much more money. Isn't it about the money that has the conferences scrambling to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent move for ACC as a Conference

Sep 18, 2011, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

From a football perspective, we didn't hurt ourselves as Pitt and Syracuse can come in and compete. From every other sport and acedemic perspective it was an upgrade.

The move to increase the buyout to leave the conference was an excellent move... proven by the fact that it was unanimously passed. I don't think anyone (namely Miami, FSU, GT and Clemson) really wanted to leave the ACC. They just didn't want to get left alone in a sucky conference when 2-3 other teams left. This effectively puts other conferences on notice that the ACC teams are out of reach. Sun Tzu would be proud.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pt for Sun Tzu ref***

Sep 18, 2011, 9:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Excellent move for ACC as a Conference

Sep 18, 2011, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Excellent move for ACC as a Conference ]

I came in here to post exactly this. As much as I hate how it will look now since we have effectively said "We climbin in yo windows / We snatchin yo basketball up", in the long run this positions us well academically and athletically.

From a football perspective Pitt has been decent lately, and once upon a time was actually great. Syracuse can't seem to find mediocre in a locked closet, but who knows maybe someday...

The best thing to take from this is VA Tech, Clemson, and FSU are all stuck in this together. That and we can all pray the next two teams are football schools.

I agree. This is a good move for the ACC. To say

Sep 18, 2011, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Excellent move for ACC as a Conference ]

that Pitt and Syracuse are jokes in football is ridiculous.

This was a great move. The ACC is now a contiguous

Sep 18, 2011, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

conference from Florida to Massachusettes and covers the big Eastern Seaboard and eastern timezone. As stated above, we have just added two huge states in New York and Pennsylvania. If things go to 16 with all leagues, I hope we add Rutgers and West Virginia. However, I think WVU will be in the SEC and we'll end up with Connecticut.

This positions the ACC to not be on th e outside with regard to the Superconferences which are coming maybe in a matter of days. I just hope we don't lose FSU. If FSU goes, I hope we do also.

Re: This was a great move. The ACC is now a contiguous

Sep 18, 2011, 4:12 PM

I agree I think the ACC will take two more teams from the Big East. The Commies are trying to strengthen the ACC basketball.

Are you Nuts?

Sep 18, 2011, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Terrible move for ACC fooball ]

Pittsburgh has 9 national titles in football, and is in the top-20 in terms of all-time wins. Syracuse has as many national titles in football as Clemson. Both have great basketball programs. Do you not remember Pittsburgh knocking Rich Rodriguez's WVU team out of the national title picture right before he went to Michigan?

Syracuse and Pittsburgh have as much tradition in football as any program in the SEC shy of Auburn, Alabama, and maybe Florida. They are solid programs that have as much history and tradition as any program in the country.

The only non-aligned programs that would be bigger wins for the ACC would be Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame (assuming the Big-12 is dead - which it probably is).

Next time, please study your football history and think before you post.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Questions

Sep 18, 2011, 9:34 AM

How will divisions be set up. Will we get WVU.

Re: Questions

Sep 18, 2011, 9:54 AM

It's Syracuse and Pittsburgh... WVU is still Big East.

Re: Front Page Story: ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse

Sep 18, 2011, 9:42 AM

Sets up great for basketball, not so much for football. Pitt hasn't finished in Top 10 in football since 1982 and Syracuse since 1982. Nielsen ratings trump AP poll in this expansion move. We have a conference call now - will ask about Texas if I get a chance.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David, ask about Notre Dame***

Sep 18, 2011, 9:55 AM

Maybe they are adding two in order to

Sep 18, 2011, 9:45 AM

position the ACC to be in the driver seat when CU and FSU try to leave. Gives the ACC an upper hand in the negotiations for us to bolt.

Re: Maybe they are adding two in order to

Sep 18, 2011, 10:34 AM

Neither one of us are going anywhere. These moves cement it. Both Clemson and FSU voted to up the buyout to $20million and honestly this puts us in a position to be in a superconference and not be left out. It would take a hell of a deal to pull either school out now.

Great move by Swofford and the ACC

Sep 18, 2011, 9:50 AM

Good academics and solid sports programs. Also good geographical match.

Re: Great move by Swofford and the ACC

Sep 18, 2011, 10:35 AM

I just felt the value of my Clemson degree tick up a few dollars. lulz

Sep 18, 2011, 9:51 AM

we now control the entire atlantic seabord.in basketball we are hands down the best conf. in the country.in football,i can see us,fsu,va tech,unc and maryland (who knows what is going to happen to miami)steadily improving.if pitt and syracuse can get back to where they once were,this conf. will get better in football.the future tv contracts will mirror the sec's since we will pair football and basketball.

I like it, but...

Sep 18, 2011, 9:57 AM

I've now got to buy a Pitt and Syracuse minihelmet for my ACC display case. ######!!!

LOL, me too. I just thought about that.****

Sep 18, 2011, 10:25 AM

Sep 18, 2011, 10:08 AM

SCORECARD on this move: Academics: B+ / Basketball: A / Revenue Generation: A- / Football Rivalaries: C- / Tradition: D- Overall: Proof yet again that unc & duke own us and we are but indentured servants. Add Texas and UConn and maybe this ensures survival but so much for the good old days of driving to games with natural rivalaries and familiarities and fun at games.

Also add Geographic look of conference A+ and two big

Sep 18, 2011, 10:27 AM

states in tow if there is ever thought of an ACC network A+, and long term stability in the changing landscape A+.

Wait are you saying Pitt and Syracuse have no tradition?

Sep 18, 2011, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse ]

These are both great additions to the conference and fit well athletically, academically, and geographically. What more could you ask for?

Re: Wait are you saying Pitt and Syracuse have no tradition?

Sep 18, 2011, 4:18 PM

If we add WVU and Uconn we complete the addition of 2 rivalries way more passionate than our own with South Carolina. 'Cuse/Uconn is the only college rivalry anyone in the Northeast cares about and WVU/Pitt is a quintessential example of hatred played out on the gridiron.

Sep 19, 2011, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: ACC extends formal invitation to Pitt and Syracuse ]

May bet is Swofford lets Texas and Notre Dame in and lets them keep their networks so that The Heels and Duke then can launch their own networks in roundball. Can anybody else see this happening?

"Terrible move"? "no tradition"? *facepalm*

Sep 18, 2011, 11:23 AM

Pitt: 9 national football championships, 27 bowl games, Pop Warner, Mike Ditka, Hugh Green, Bill Fralic, Dan Marino, Tony Dorsett, craig "Ironhead" Heyward, Larry Fitzgerald, etc.

Syracuse: 22 bowl games, Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Daryl Johnston, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Feeney, etc.

This is a great move.

Re: "Terrible move"? "no tradition"? *facepalm*

Sep 18, 2011, 3:43 PM

Thank you , thank you for this post. It is simply beyond belief that some people who put information on this board are so uniformed, and limited in their thinking..simply not very stimulated!

In addition to the valid and verifiable stats you presented, there are some of us who really understand there is more to the value of our great conference than simply who won the National football Championship last year! These are two fine universities that we should be thrilled have decided the ACC is where they belong!

Quick! Let's bolt to the SEC...

Sep 18, 2011, 11:28 AM

this stinks.

You got 20 million bucks?***

Sep 18, 2011, 3:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: You got 20 million bucks?***

Sep 18, 2011, 4:40 PM

Yes but i have to take it by the coin star machine first.

I really like it. I think......

Sep 18, 2011, 11:49 AM

......some of you dont like it simply because these are schools in the north ;)

This thing happened lightning fast. It makes you wonder

Sep 18, 2011, 12:56 PM

what SPECIFICALLY Swoffie was posturing for...like something was eminent.

How long have we heard about and followed the Texas A&M to the SEC story?

This one rose up so fast...and it's so important that they have to extend on Sunday? They can't wait until Monday?

As far as Pitt and Syracuse go, well, this is one of those situations where if I can's say anything nice, I don't need to say it at all.

Sep 18, 2011, 4:03 PM

I like the move myself i don't think it hurts us at all and if anything helps the conference on all levels. Pitt can compete in every sport and syracuse can compete in most sports except football. Some of yall want us to move to the sec and that is exactly what we do not want to do, as bad as clemson fans (including myself) want to win, it will be very hard to do so in the sec. Im not saying we couldnt win just it will be harder to do in the sec. We have a great chance to become a football power again here in the not so distant future but going to the sec could very well destroy them chances IMO.

Sep 18, 2011, 4:53 PM

nice additions IMO.

Now add Texas and OU and rename the conference...

Awesome move, ACC! Good to know

Sep 18, 2011, 6:21 PM

that this was going on in the background while all of the mumblings and rumors have been swirling around. For those of you complaining about their football prowess, you don't know your history, and you certainly aren't remembering the Gator Bowl when Syracuse cleaned our clock. They are both tremendous additions and the 20mil$ penalty for leaving is a smooth business move. I hope we add Rutgers and UConn next. The ACC would become a really excellent academically oriented athletic powerhouse. Yes, BBall will gain the most (who wouldn't want to play UConn and Pitt and Syracuse every year in roundball?????) But they all have very solid football programs, as well.

Yes, this is going to be a great move for the ACC.

Go TIGERS! Great win yesterday. This season is really going to be fun!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Strong move by the ACC. I like it.

Sep 18, 2011, 8:46 PM

Great for basketball, plus adds two programs that can compete with UNC and Duke

Decent football programs (Syracuse has gotten better the last 2 seasons)

And it should open up two more invitations. I think West Virginia would be a nice fit although questionable on the academic side. I'm sure they would like to get UConn too

Sep 18, 2011, 9:48 PM

Pitt averaged 52k fans (seats 65k) and Syracuse 40k (of 49k). Why does this move not excite me as a football fan...

But hey we'll get the Pittsburgh and some of the NY market, but alas I think it will be like the Boston market (not the restaurant) and no one will watch...

The is a bunch of you guys who would be pissed if the ACC

Sep 18, 2011, 10:00 PM

did nothing in the expansion climate and also pissed that they did what they did. I have attended Pitt games at Heinz field in Pittsburgh and had a great time. It's a very good move adding Pitt and Syracuse...Syracuse was suppose to come back in 2004.

Sep 18, 2011, 9:58 PM

Hail to Pitt!

Weak move... dump Wake and bid like crazy for Notre Dame

Sep 18, 2011, 10:28 PM

With the BCS renegotiation, Notre Dame is gonna have to make a conference move... they've got no leverage at the bargaining table. The ACC could offer to let 'em keep their cushy NBC deal (TV time helps the conference) and reign in a heap of decent programs.

What the heck are we doing with Wake anyway? D*m Swofford and the state of North Carolina.

I've always said that Notre Dame always looked like a BigTen school, but there's no way they'll get to keep that NBC contract with the BigTen Network raking in the dough.

Sep 18, 2011, 10:39 PM

Certainly shows those who thought the ACC would not be proactive how wrong they were! I indicated on this and one other site that the membership was quietly reviewing an entire list of options and this move was a solid one geographically, academically and athletically without question. It caught the BE totally off guard and I would not be surprised if Notre Dame and UConn are the two remaining "new" members.

W.Va. is headed to the SEC and the rest of the BE is now left wondering what happens next unless the Big 12 leftovers are issued an invite to join after the PAC 16 is created. Rutgers wants in the BIG 10 and that leaves Cincy, USF and Louisville searching for alternate ideas.

Go Clemson!

See Collegefootballtalk.com for info.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic