Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Morris says lack of speed surprising
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Jul 19, 2011, 9:33 PM

New offensive coordinator Chad Morris told the media on Tuesday that he was surprised at the lack of speed exhibited by Tiger wide receivers in the spring, and he hopes the incoming freshman will solve the speed problem. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Morris says lack of speed surprising

Jul 19, 2011, 9:42 PM

LOVE the quotes. We need serviceable receivers by game 3, no time for BS here

I love a coach that doesn't coddle players.

Jul 19, 2011, 9:42 PM

If they're not cutting it get their a$$ out of there. Morris gets it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love a coach that doesn't coddle players.

Jul 19, 2011, 10:22 PM

Bt but but if you get I'd of players that aren't cutting it you are the worst person I the world! Look at former USC walk-on Bryce Sherman!

^^^^ USUC doctoral candidate.***

Jul 20, 2011, 8:51 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love a coach that doesn't coddle players.

Jul 20, 2011, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I love a coach that doesn't coddle players. ]

He avg 20 a return what do you expect? You don't have a CJ

Don't worry about it, coot. They'll still have a job

Jul 20, 2011, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I love a coach that doesn't coddle players. ]

filling water cups. Bet Sherman wishes the same applied to him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Are you out drunk with Garcia?***

Jul 21, 2011, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I love a coach that doesn't coddle players. ]

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

OUCH...less speed than his high school?!

Jul 19, 2011, 9:43 PM

No matter how you spin it, that's an insult to the guys already here and definitely serves notice to them that he is counting on the freshmen to fill the WR positions. I hope the desired effect of motivation works out and we can send sparks down the field this year.

I don't think he meant that his high school players were

Jul 20, 2011, 12:10 AM

faster than our players. I believe that they might've been faster when compared to the rest of the competition that they played. You have to admit, for a D-1 college football team our receivers aren't that fast and we didn't have a deep threat last season.

Not sure exactly what he meant about his HS, BUT

Jul 20, 2011, 12:48 AM [ in reply to OUCH...less speed than his high school?! ]

just think about it: No Ellington. Nuke can maneuver, but he isn't a speedster. None of our other WRs have unusual speed, compared to what we have had in the past. Our TEs aren't known for speed.

CJ, of course, had speed. Then add Ford. DCs had to respect that. Airese Curry: Speed.

I thought Marquan Jones was supposed to have decent speed, but I guess there were other issues...?

Regarding those waiting in the wings, we always heard about Joe Craig, but of course, there has been a...hiccup...with him.

A look at our roster shows most speed indeed is with our DBs.

But, as we've heard, we have Martavis Bryant and Sammy Watkins as speedy WRs and Bellamy as a speedy RB.

I think scheme and solid play every down can make up for a lot of things. We know not all teams have even had the speed we have had, but they've won. Clemson has had some of the top speed in the country in the past. Last year, especially without Ellington (who we all know certainly couldn't be compared with Spiller or Ford), we were lacking for the first time in a while.

But...speed is coming!!!!

More of an insult to coaching staff and abiliy to evaluate***

Jul 20, 2011, 8:51 AM [ in reply to OUCH...less speed than his high school?! ]

Re: More of an insult to coaching staff and abiliy to evaluate***

Jul 20, 2011, 12:36 PM

so you mean that y'all signed every player y'all went after? that's impressive.but,somehow i don't think that's true.and by the way,whose your speedy receivers?

Tommy Beecher, Cade Thompson, Chris Smelley ... and on & on

Jul 20, 2011, 12:46 PM

Hey Cadcock! SOS, the certified QB coaching genius ... has not signed one premium QB in his entire SCAR career, unless you want to argue that Garcia is totally meeting the expectations SOS had when he was recruited.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OUCH...less speed than his high school?!

Jul 20, 2011, 9:32 AM [ in reply to OUCH...less speed than his high school?! ]

Oh he insulted a poor little FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!

Guess he forgot about the sportmanship award!!!

Look he's right if you want to play then get off your tail if not fill the water cups

Wow! That was brutally honest!***

Jul 19, 2011, 9:43 PM

Jul 19, 2011, 9:46 PM

I hope Joe Craig can be ready to go too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2011, 10:24 PM

I can guarantee you Joe Craig will come out swinging!!!!!

;)

Well.....so far i love this guy!!!!

Jul 19, 2011, 9:53 PM

Time to produce young men! Put up or sit down!

Morris musta' lost his coach-speak handbook.

Jul 19, 2011, 9:54 PM

Not too often you hear that kond of honesty from a coach.

Light a fire under em' and coach them up!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Very refreshing - honest and not dumbed down!***

Jul 19, 2011, 10:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2011, 9:54 PM

I think Morris hit on one of the reasons we went from a pretty good season to a losing season. When we had Jacoby at receiver we had someone who could stretch the field, which can be critical. I'd say that Jacoby was easily the 2nd most important player on the 2009 offense (behind CJ of course)

Jul 19, 2011, 9:57 PM

Wow, I find the lack of coach speak refreshing. That guy tells it just like he sees it.

Why would a Clemson fan be surprised to hear that.........

Jul 19, 2011, 10:00 PM

Last year we couldn't stretch a defense and we couldn't get separation. Why? Speed, among other things. Also, our receivers had a hard time catching the da#n ball! Sure Nuke got better as the season went on, but he had his problems. I'm glad Morris knows what one of the problems is and intends on fixing it. You can't teach speed.

Jul 19, 2011, 10:03 PM

All im sayin is that if I was a current player I would be doin whatever it takes to play, I love coach morris thought process already

Jul 19, 2011, 10:05 PM

Contrast this with what Dabo said about those same receivers going into last year.

Good observation....

Jul 19, 2011, 10:11 PM

But (I hope) we end of giving Dabo credit for this hire. This man may be a Diamond in the rough.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its not like he was ever a receivers coach, go easy on Dabo***

Jul 20, 2011, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Morris says lack of speed surprising ]

We'll be easy on ex-WR coach Dabo. After all, you guys

Jul 20, 2011, 9:55 AM

After all, you guys have no trouble giving ex-QB, Heisman Winner, certified QB-development-genius Steve Spurrier a "pass" for doing absolutely nothing to recruit or develop great QBs while he's been at SCAR.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Morris just won over a lot of Clemson fans....

Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 PM

and the cool thing about it, he isn't just saying this stuff b/c he was trying to. It's his honest assessment. My 2 favorite quotes:

"I love competition" and

"But that’s okay, because there are plenty of water cups that need to filled up on the sideline. If they are gonna play, they have to prove it. They have to be pushed".

I F'n like this guy!!! SPOT THE D@MN BALL!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2011, 10:12 PM

Hmmm.....

But they always say, you can't coach speed....

:|

Speed Kills!!!!***

Jul 20, 2011, 8:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it! Make way for the freshman

Jul 19, 2011, 10:14 PM

Watkins, Peake, Bryant, Bellamy your time is now. No more excuses: well their young, they aren't ready yet, they gotta learn the offense, etc. We had no speed at WR last year- Morris knows it, we know it, everybody knows it.

No wonder our offense was so bad after #23 went out.

Lack of speed and stone hands was epidemic at WR last year.

Jul 19, 2011, 10:24 PM

I am on the same page with you brother. Coach 'em up and PLAY THE TALENT! Some of our freshmen skill players appear to have crazy talent ... put them in!

Jul 19, 2011, 10:16 PM

Coach-speak......

He's trying to use the microphone to make some waves in the locker room. I don't have a problem with it but before everyone over-reacts, keep it in context. He knew this was a major media event and that whatever he said, would be all over the news, especially stuff like this.

Some of it is probably true, some of it... well... coach-speak.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read the same thing in TAC a few months ago, and..........

Jul 19, 2011, 10:16 PM

.....the guy who posted it got b!tch slapped and banned.

AWESOME to hear Morris Motivating & Telling It Like It Is!***

Jul 19, 2011, 10:18 PM

Preach it, brother!

Jul 19, 2011, 10:20 PM

They were slow last year. And I, for one, am anxious to see what these new guys can do for us. They contrast so much, it'll be fun to watch them play. But, I don't hope any less that the veterans can pick it up and live up to their potential. I'd rather have these talented freshmen learning the ropes behind even more talented (and productive) veterans. And, I'll go on record saying I don't think Craig should sit out a single practice.

If they were good enough for Dabo and Jeff Scott

Jul 19, 2011, 10:21 PM

they should be good enough for Morris. We have had the top 2 wide receiver coaches in the nation recruiting and developing these players. I think Coach Morris doesn't know what he's talking about and should get in line behind our highly sought-after receiver coaches. What he doesn't get is that these kids may be slow, but they have the best hands in the country. Name one team with less dropped balls. You can't do it because Jeff Scott is known among the top NFL scouts for developing crisp-route-running sticky-handed receivers like Harrison and Rice.

Whew. Almost forgot to check my meter.******

Jul 19, 2011, 10:43 PM

nm

Re: If they were good enough for Dabo and Jeff Scott

Jul 22, 2011, 4:45 PM [ in reply to If they were good enough for Dabo and Jeff Scott ]

Good hands don't help much if you can't get open. TE's need good hands, WR's need good hands AND speed!

Morris would not have a very high TigerPulse. It is

Jul 19, 2011, 10:22 PM

a breath of fresh air though.

It will also help if the QB...

Jul 19, 2011, 10:31 PM

doesn't turn 5 yard slants into 30 yard posts by rolling out and back 25 yards to his right on every passing play.

Morris is going to be a head coach at a big program real soon, so Clemson better get as much as possible out of him. It'd be nice to hear that kind of fire and bluntness from the current head coach.

Tell it like it is!!!!

Jul 19, 2011, 10:42 PM

Certainly a change from last year when we were being told we had a 3rd Round NFL QB and a kicker that could not miss!

What Morris will not and does not say

Jul 19, 2011, 10:57 PM

The route designs sucked last year. How many times did you see several receivers running the same route at multiple distances. I saw 4 hooks run on one play multiple times.

I think he Is putting the veterans on notice.....you can bet he'll get the most out of everybody

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Talks like he should, but talk is cheap. Win games!***

Jul 19, 2011, 11:19 PM

Oh no! some around here aren't gonna like those mean

Jul 19, 2011, 11:45 PM

comments. All those players are nice kids and don't deserve that.

me, I like a coach that calls it like it is. Get the job done or get out of the way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love this guy !!!

Jul 20, 2011, 12:09 AM

GO TIGERS !!!!!

Are the Scott's allowed near players still? Those two have

Jul 20, 2011, 7:42 AM

ruined the OL and WRs

Re: Are the Scott's allowed near players still? Those two have

Jul 20, 2011, 7:43 AM

thanks for your input coot.

Your are right. the OL and WR's have dominated since they

Jul 20, 2011, 9:28 AM

started coaching them. These used to be very strong positions for Clemson pre-Scott

Re: Are the Scott's allowed near players still? Those two have

Jul 20, 2011, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Are the Scott's allowed near players still? Those two have ]

What a maroon

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jul 20, 2011, 8:31 AM

I guess this explains why we had NO SEPARATION last year.

Of course, this also sends a message to Boyd (I hope), because if we have more speed, then he'd better make his reads quicker or else he will under-throw the WR's. I guess we will fix one problem at a time.

I sure love this guy so far. I like it when people don't stick their heads in the sand and pretend we don't have issues. Morris is telling it like it is and that's a refreshing change. I honestly think we're going to see a noticeable improvement in Boyd due to this guy. He seems to know what it takes to produce on O.

I'm worried Morris is already in "These aren't my players"

Jul 20, 2011, 9:48 AM

mode.

Remember when Reggie Herring said (paraphrase): "How am I supposed to win with these guys?" - referring to the defensive players he inherited?

Morris has been conducting a nationwide QB search (how many QBs have we offered anyway?) and now he's saying our WRs are too slow.

Hopefully, he's just into publically challenging our guys and not stockpiling excuses so he can say "I told you so" at seasons end.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good grief

Jul 20, 2011, 9:54 AM

where do you guys come from? lol

Just stating a possible concern. I still haven't forgotten

Jul 20, 2011, 10:05 AM

the poor performance by our QBs and WRs in The Spring Game (what was it - 13 for 44?). That continues to be a "red flag" for me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then it wouldnt be an excuse. It would be a reason.

Jul 20, 2011, 11:08 AM

If you believe it.

If it's a reason, then it should be between him and Dabo.

Jul 20, 2011, 1:21 PM

He can challenge the WRs without calling them out in public before practice even starts.

Maybe thats his style, which is fine - but it sounds a little like someone being proactive with their excuses to me.

If the guys are too slow - adjust your offensive scheme. Shut up and coach.

Good for Morris...vets don't get a free pass...must earn it***

Jul 20, 2011, 12:41 PM [ in reply to I'm worried Morris is already in "These aren't my players" ]

Try and count all the fat people behind him during all those

Jul 20, 2011, 10:29 AM

videos. I swear 90% of everyone there was fat.

Amen, Coach Morris***

Jul 20, 2011, 10:49 AM

Filling water cups, hah!

Jul 20, 2011, 1:01 PM

Makes me think about "The Waterboy". Love that stupid movie, even if the MudDogs did beat Clemson 6-3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Filling water cups, hah!

Jul 20, 2011, 1:05 PM

brilliant

we made a field goal***

Jul 20, 2011, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Filling water cups, hah! ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I swear 90% of everyone there was fat. "

Jul 20, 2011, 1:10 PM

What a ###### bag.Yea,you CSO.Your'e self righteous,skinny @ss oughta be slapped.

This is ridiculous,we can't say d-o-u-c-h-e on here?

Jul 20, 2011, 1:12 PM

How the helll am I supposed to address some of you losers?

I have not seen someone so sensitive about fatness

Jul 20, 2011, 3:03 PM

since middle school.

LMAO!! Point!! Suggestion: dirt bag, sleaze bag, ##### bag***

Jul 20, 2011, 3:55 PM [ in reply to This is ridiculous,we can't say d-o-u-c-h-e on here? ]

Welcome to JesusNet.***

Jul 21, 2011, 5:37 PM [ in reply to This is ridiculous,we can't say d-o-u-c-h-e on here? ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speed doen't matter when every pass play is a screen. Our

Jul 20, 2011, 3:58 PM

RBs ran wheel routes for the deep ball.

At least we know Morris want's to throw deep. We've rarely seen that since Whitehurst.

Nothing new here. A new coach that did not recruit any...

Jul 20, 2011, 4:15 PM

of these guys so he does not have to defend that plus it gives him an excuse. Agree that Dabo is positive to the point he sounds stupid, but not ready to praise Morris's honesty.

Morris making excuses? Our WRs are fast, but DBs are faster

Jul 20, 2011, 7:34 PM

I hope this isn't Morris's way of making an excuse to keep Dabo around for 2 more years if they stink it up next season.

There may not have been any Jacoby-fast rockets among the WRs this past spring, but if you look at the WR's 40-yard-dash times and star rankings on Rivals.com (for whatever that's worth), there was plenty of speed and talent among the wide receivers this past season and during spring camp.

During spring camp there were at least five 4-star WRs. They had 40-times of 4.4, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, & 4.6. Our best WR last year, Hopkins had a 40-time of 4.6, so there should be adequate speed.

Our springtime DBs however, were really fast. They show 40-times of 4.4, 4.4, 4.4, & 4.5. Our best CB last year, Gilchrist, had a 40-time of 4.5, so the younger DBs are probably fast enough to hang with just about anybody (but Jacoby).

Tulsa's WRs weren't faster, but their DBs were a bit slower

Jul 20, 2011, 11:36 PM

I was just looking at the Rivals data on Tulsa's players under Morris. It looks like his WRs were roughly the same speed, but it looks like Tulsa's DBs were a bit slower. On average the star rankings were a lot lower and the players were a lot shorter.

Guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones were listed on Rivals as having 40-times of 4.5, but they're 6'4" and 6'5".

Re: Tulsa's WRs weren't faster, but their DBs were a bit slower

Jul 21, 2011, 9:49 AM

I'm not sure if he was talking about their overall physical speed or their failure to show it in the spring. It almost sounds that he was more upset over the effort put forth rather than how fast they can actually run. However, I could be way off since he did compare them to the speed of the DBs. Either way, I do like the attitude of 'The best will play'.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic