Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Record-Tying seven former Tigers in Wells Fargo Championships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

May 4, 2011, 12:03 PM

Seven former Clemson golfers will play in the Wells Fargo Championships at Quail Hollow Golf Club in Charlotte this weekend. The event begins on Thursday and runs through Sunday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"only active American born player 33 y/o&younger w 5 Wins"

May 4, 2011, 3:53 PM

Wow if that doesn't make you have a man crush on Tim Bourret I don't know what will.

I need to get him to do some stats for me on miniture golf. I'm pretty sure I'm the only Clemson alum that graduated between 2000 and 2005 that has shot 10 under par or better at the Monster Mini Golf Course in Indianapolis, IN.

Seriously - I love JByrd and Clemson, but I had to get a laugh at the qualifiers in that stat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's a significant stat***

May 4, 2011, 4:46 PM

Not trying to downplay JByrd

May 4, 2011, 5:02 PM

The reason it jumped out at me is that it has 4 qualifiers and one of them is an odd choice.

Active - Well, yeah, I see including that one

American Born - I get why this is included, but it does limit the significance somewhat if there are many foreign born players with at least 5 wins

Under 33 - Why 33? Just because it's JByrd's age? This is an example of a cutoff designed to make things overly unique. I don't think this would have jumped out at me had a more natural cutoff like 35 been used, but 33 was used because if you raise it to 35 then you're likely adding several more people. If you use any younger age, then JByrd is out because he is 33.

5 Wins - I'm sure this means at least 5 wins, but the way its written then he's the only one with exactly 5 wins. That would make it much less special if, for example, 3 other golfers 33 or younger had 6 or 7 wins.

It's a great accomplishment, but compare these two statements:
"the only active American born player 33 years old or younger with five PGA Tour wins"

"he is the youngest active American-born PGA player with at least 5 wins"

They both get the point across and are true, the latter sounds much more impressive because the age qualifier doesn't stick out (even though there are still 4 qualifiers)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK true

May 6, 2011, 8:18 AM

I would have definitely said 'the youngest with at least 5 wins'. If there are 33 or younger players with more than but not exactly 5, that would be sheisty!

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic